Author Topic: How to not feel weird skating alone?  (Read 1399 times)

SaySo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 88
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 498
    • My Wife avatar image
Re: How to not feel weird skating alone?
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2022, 12:09:05 AM »
A lot of good advice here. If it's an awkwardness thing, I think you probably grow out of that with age and confidence. There were a lot of activities I used to feel self-conscious about doing solo growing up; nowadays, I just do what I feel and can appreciate the solitude sometimes. It also makes sessions with other ppl that much more special/different when they happen.

I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet: just be careful if you are doing a gnarly trick alone at a distant, secluded spot, or at night, when/where no one might find you for a prolonged period if you have an accident. Could be dangerous.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 326
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2022, 08:32:00 AM »
Stretch and warm up. Cruise around. Focus on something you wanna do/try that session. Ignore all the bullshit in this world. It's just you, your board and the environment.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 773
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2022, 08:50:11 AM »
When I’m feeling low about being alone I skate over to a normie and strike up a conversation. It’s how I got blessed with so much friends outside of skateboarding.

Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 232
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2022, 09:02:24 AM »
Expand Quote
As for skateparks, a lot of people show up to those alone and just skate. If I make eye contact with someone at the park I'll nod or say hi, and maybe have small talk between tricks, but that's it. There's all levels of people skating at the park and nobody cares as long as you heed the usual park etiquette.Skating alone will feel less and less weird the more you do it.
[close]
Just started going to the park consistently myself and can say the more you do it the less weird it is. It has become a part of my morning routine now and is a good reason to get up early and get going even if i'm not stoked on the rest of my day.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2022, 05:05:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
As for skateparks, a lot of people show up to those alone and just skate. If I make eye contact with someone at the park I'll nod or say hi, and maybe have small talk between tricks, but that's it. There's all levels of people skating at the park and nobody cares as long as you heed the usual park etiquette.Skating alone will feel less and less weird the more you do it.
[close]
Just started going to the park consistently myself and can say the more you do it the less weird it is. It has become a part of my morning routine now and is a good reason to get up early and get going even if i'm not stoked on the rest of my day.
[close]

This morning, for the first time since I started my new job two months ago, I went to the park before work and had a (thoroughly mediocre) session and it was definitely the best part of my day by far.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Knee Pain

• Rep: 32
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2022, 02:37:55 PM »
I skate on my own, most of the time. I tend to go to parks early in the morning to avoid too many people, which reduces any awkwardness.

I find skating street on my own, much more anxiety-inducing. But once you do it a few times, it becomes much easier, like anything else.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1128
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2022, 06:49:53 PM »
Let’s be honest too…..skating can be torturous at the best of times….not landing tricks, not know what to do…. Having friends around is helpful and fun so when they aren’t, it can be a bummer and if there are a bunch of people you don’t know around, it can get weird…..

Skatetron580

• Rep: 1
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2022, 08:34:47 PM »
find a parking lot or something to get your basics back and then go to the skate park and you'll have more confidence