Author Topic: On skating alone  (Read 4575 times)

MushinSkate

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
On skating alone
« on: June 26, 2022, 01:00:04 AM »
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 10:58:58 PM by sysiphusskate »

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
Re: How to not feel weird skating alone?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2022, 07:25:15 AM »
How alone we talking? Get a jbl.

Skating alone at spots is easy but being the only one at like say a skatepark where you grew up and made memories is psycho.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2022, 07:28:08 AM »
Talk to yourself a lot and befriend local fauna.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2022, 07:38:36 AM »
Give yourself a really easy warm up and talk to people……or……..go in the other direction…..headphones. 

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2022, 08:22:34 AM »
I mostly skate alone but I don't skate parks. In the beginning I was self conscious but gradually cared less and less so that I can now skate a busy parking lot ditching pedestrians and cars quite easily. It takes quite a lot to unsettle me enough to quit the spot.

When there are other skaters at the spot I acknowledge them but do my thing. When there are other people I ignore them unless they engage a conversation with me. If they sit on the stuff I want to skate or are in the way I try to make them aware of that fact by subtly skating around them. If that doesn't work I skate something else until they leave, reminding myself that this is not a skatepark and I am not entitled to skate this parking lot/curb/ledge or whatever it is I am trying to skate.

Works fine, mostly.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 557
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2022, 10:00:47 AM »
If you’re going to skate a park, go early. People there at like 7-9AM are likely doing the same thing. In my experience, showing up alone during busy times isn’t awkward if you keep to yourself but follow the flow, wait your turn, and abide social contract. Talk to people if you want, reply if spoken to, laugh it off if you fall, tap your board when people land tricks, and don’t poop in the bowl. Otherwise, set up your own curbs/ledges and like the others have said, talk to yourself and befriend fauna.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

LB

• Rep: 57
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2022, 03:31:35 PM »
potato down back of knickers

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2022, 03:48:45 PM »
you are not alone
I am here with you
Though you're far away
I am here to stay
But you are not alone
I am here with you
Though we're far apart
You're always in my heart

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1084
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2022, 03:54:57 PM »
Just don’t have any shame in your game. Honestly, most people aren’t worried about you being alone or judging you. Except for maybe assholes but fuck them. I always skate alone, i sort of know the kids at my local park, if you recognize people give em a nod or a dap but otherwise just have your session.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2022, 04:07:18 PM »

Skating alone at spots is easy but being the only one at like say a skatepark where you grew up and made memories is psycho.

Welcome to my life. Except we don’t have a skatepark.

But OP just start slowly I started again at like your age and it takes a while.

Start going alone then you’ll bump into people and choose the ones it’s worth hanging out with.

Also never underestimate the beauty of solitude.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2022, 06:35:45 PM »
Go early, like before work early if you’re hitting parks. Not really anyone around and those that are really aren’t there to hang/watch others. If you mean just skating alone at street spots, that’s easy. The only people that really care are the captain America types or security guards.
I personally go the talking to myself and befriending the fauna. Then again, I’m 50 so I don’t have a lot in common with the people around here that skate since I’m normally at least 20 years older.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2022, 06:55:08 PM »
and don’t poop in the bowl

Is this really a thing?

Get in early and enjoy the AM session, chances are you'll see other older dudes doing the same to avoid the crowds and enjoying the solo session. Don't be a kook around them, make some small talk and bam new friend group established.

Edit: avoid the guys in Caruima shoes and those that over-tech their setups (Powell && Flight Decks, Avenue Suspension trucks, Bones Swiss 6, titanium hardware)
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2022, 06:50:10 AM »
Expand Quote
and don’t poop in the bowl
[close]

Is this really a thing?

Get in early and enjoy the AM session, chances are you'll see other older dudes doing the same to avoid the crowds and enjoying the solo session. Don't be a kook around them, make some small talk and bam new friend group established.

Edit: avoid the guys in Caruima shoes and those that over-tech their setups (Powell && Flight Decks, Avenue Suspension trucks, Bones Swiss 6, titanium hardware)
I was on vacation in Florida earlier this Spring and snuck off for an early AM sesh ALONE as per the usual, and there was a dude sleeping in the bowl at the park I went to, which was a first for me.  He eventually got up and left, I peeked in after and he had not pooped.

Get hungry on it!

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 645
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2022, 09:46:54 AM »
All my skate homies live in a different town now so I've been skating mostly by myself for the last two years. To be fair, I only skate street spots but there's something really fun and freeing about hitting a session by yourself. I can use my time to skate whatever spot I want and work on whatever tricks I want. I don't have to worry about what my friends want to skate or trying to keep up with them. I usually put on headphones and listen to one of my more hype playlists when I'm skating. I'll be 100% honest, I'll occasionally turn off the music when I really want to focus or when I want to film a clip on my phone, but I'll give my headphones on. It keeps my hair out of my face and people are less likely to try to interact with me.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 557
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2022, 09:55:31 AM »
I’ve def found poop in the bowl. Twice, I think. I like to believe it was laid by a dog. I wrote it as a joke, but in retrospect there was truth to it.

Don’t give unsolicited trick tips. Never tell somebody having a tantrum to calm down. (I’m talking to you, Alex.)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 02:01:31 PM by JANUS »
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2022, 08:11:06 PM »
I always shovel all the snow into the bowl…..

pdknox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2022, 09:43:01 PM »
Sounds like youre inside your own head too much and if that’s true now is a good time to remind yourself that you’re not that important.

If you are at a skatepark, just keep showing up, it’ll get easier.

If you’re in the streets, try skating places where there are no bird scooters.

If you’re getting back into skating to try and relive some glory years from your teens, don’t. Now is the time to make new memories. Plus those fools aren’t as cool as you remember.  They don’t even skate anymore. 

As a lone skater, but not a lonely skater, skateboarding is the most fun it’s ever been. In fact when I’m skating with other people it feels so much slower to the point it’s not fun cause it’s all talk and no skate.

The one downside is that you are more susceptible to the “do a kickflip!” funny guys. My advice here is to make sure you can kickflip. I actually recommend NOT doing a kickflip when requested because fuck them, but also inside you know you could do it, you choose not to.

SaySo

• Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2022, 11:16:14 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Welcome to my life. Except we don’t have a skatepark.

But OP just start slowly I started again at like your age and it takes a while.

Start going alone then you’ll bump into people and choose the ones it’s worth hanging out with.

Also never underestimate the beauty of solitude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN7-MoXY05o

I've been skating mainly solo for the past 20 years or so as my friends "grew up," or just lost interest in skating. Making new skate homies can be awkward at first, but once you get over the initial unease (if any) it gets easier.

If nothing else, you've got us here for digital support!
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

MadeYouLook

• Rep: 22
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2022, 11:54:47 AM »
I don't skate parks at all so I am always wearing headphones. Its the only way I can get out of my head and have a good time.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2022, 02:39:17 PM »
If you're alone, meditate on what you're trying to do there with your board. Make little goals for yourself to do to focus on.

I don't know what features your park has but try to put your wheels on everything. Don't even feel like you have to drop in on anything if you don't want to. Pump and push from the bottom. Just ride off of obstacles you want to do things like manual across. Caress all the concrete lovingly and appreciate its existence. This is your home. Make yourself at home.

You can apply this to any spot you go.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2022, 04:54:05 PM »
Sincere question - why would you feel weird skating alone? Maybe it's because I was the only skater out in my midwestern suburb, but I don't think twice about going to a skatepark or spot alone. I have plenty of people I skate with regularly, but we are all grownups with real jobs so schedules are all over the place. If I want to skate and everyone else is doing something, I just go skate. Who cares? Always remember that absolutely no one is thinking about you.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 676
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2022, 09:10:04 PM »
As long as you’re seriously interested in getting back into skating and somewhat self-motivated, I think skating alone is actually great.  If you feel awkward just go to parks/spots earlier in the morning or whatever off peak hours when they’re more empty.  It’s way less pressure learning or relearning tricks with less eyes around and if you’re into filming clips there’s less people in your way.  Also,  you’ll probably find other relatively older skaters who show up in the morning or on weekdays too (often alone) and it’s a great way to connect with people in the same boat. 

Stu Pickles

• Rep: 96
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2022, 09:16:22 PM »
all my close skate buddies have stopped skating or moved out of town so i mostly leave to skate on my own. if you frequent your local youll begin to see the same faces. i know most people at mine just from skating it a lot, but its not like weve become best friends. can show up alone and chat and have a session with whoever is there. never feels weird.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2022, 11:14:02 PM »
all my close skate buddies have stopped skating or moved out of town so i mostly leave to skate on my own. if you frequent your local youll begin to see the same faces. i know most people at mine just from skating it a lot, but its not like weve become best friends. can show up alone and chat and have a session with whoever is there. never feels weird.

Not true, I'm the god-father of the sons one of the dude I fist bumped that one time he did a Kickflip BS Tailslide on the ledge after a 2 hour battle.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2022, 11:43:08 PM »
I like skating alone. You can go where ever you feel like going. No rules, it rules.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2022, 06:21:27 AM »
I prefer skating alone, get far more done. A session with the locals can be fun, but I couldn't do it all the time.

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 164
  • My brother Roy is into music
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2022, 03:32:36 PM »
I hate skrateboading by myself. I did it today and made sure that I stayed weird the whole time

Embrace it

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2022, 06:04:00 PM »
Skating alone is not weird at all. I see people doing it all the time. Skating street spots alone is pretty peaceful actually because you don't have to worry about what your friends are doing or if you are boring them by trying a trick for too long. The only thing that might be weird is strangers who see you but who cares about them. As for skateparks, a lot of people show up to those alone and just skate. If I make eye contact with someone at the park I'll nod or say hi, and maybe have small talk between tricks, but that's it. There's all levels of people skating at the park and nobody cares as long as you heed the usual park etiquette. Skating alone will feel less and less weird the more you do it.

thunderskater2805

• Rep: 1
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2022, 09:27:53 PM »
As for skateparks, a lot of people show up to those alone and just skate. If I make eye contact with someone at the park I'll nod or say hi, and maybe have small talk between tricks, but that's it. There's all levels of people skating at the park and nobody cares as long as you heed the usual park etiquette.Skating alone will feel less and less weird the more you do it.
Just started going to the park consistently myself and can say the more you do it the less weird it is. It has become a part of my morning routine now and is a good reason to get up early and get going even if i'm not stoked on the rest of my day.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 963
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2022, 09:44:10 PM »
I’ve always been kinda a loner. It’s always been a one person maybe 4 tops type of thing
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)