Author Topic: On skating alone  (Read 4576 times)

pleasent street

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -91
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: How to not feel weird skating alone?
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2022, 08:32:59 AM »
What is the best ice breaker for when there are 20 young bulls ripping the park but no one is cracking jokes?
'hey bro did you see that new andy anderson part?'

streetmeat

• Rep: 172
« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2022, 02:22:49 PM »
What is the best ice breaker for when there are 20 young bulls ripping the park but no one is cracking jokes?

'Ace trucks, am i right?!'

MorningSesh

• Rep: 76
« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2022, 07:49:52 AM »
the worst parts about skating alone are
1. hard to get hyped to try high risk tricks without friends there hyping you up
2. you have to actively think about pacing yourself rather than just taking consecutive runs and tiring out after 20 mins
#2 sounds a lot better to me then having to constantly wait on a line of dudes when you have limited time to skate and a trick you really want to work on.

flintstagram

• Rep: 80
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2022, 09:36:47 AM »
Expand Quote
1. hard to get hyped to try high risk tricks without friends there hyping you up
2. you have to actively think about pacing yourself rather than just taking consecutive runs and tiring out after 20 mins
[close]
#2 sounds a lot better to me then having to constantly wait on a line of dudes when you have limited time to skate and a trick you really want to work on.

#2 definitely has its perks.

I’m 38 and skate alone pretty regularly (although my oldest son (17) and his friends have all gotten interested in skating, so now I’ve got some company at the park lately). We live in a small town with a tiny little park just down the street from us, and for the past several years since I got back into skating, it’s almost always felt like my own private park. I was always skating alone there. It’s got its perks for sure. No waiting for anyone, always productive, sweat heavy sessions if you want, easy to focus on fine tuning your skills. It is a little harder to get pumped up to get out of your comfort zone though.

Typically when I travel out of town to parks, there are people there, so it’s often a different vibe. Still fun though. You make random small talk and hype each other up for whatever you’re working on. I like being able to experience both solo sessions and large sessions. I feel like it makes me appreciate both in very different ways. The solo sessions are far more regular than the group ones, at least up until a month ago. Prior to my son and his crew, the last time I skated with people I already knew and am friends with would have been July last year. Met up with a friend, met two of his friends that skate, and had the best time that day. They live a few hours away though, so it’s been hard to make that happen again.

I will also say that I do worry a bit more about getting broke off when I’m out there by myself, but I think that’s mainly just because I’m old and have responsibilities.

pleasent street

• Rep: -91
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2022, 04:50:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i guess it depends on what you're skating. when i skate bowls i like it when there's a few guys there so you are forced to wait like 2-3 mins between each run, because skating bowls is a lot of work. i think for skating stuff like ledges or other street obstacles it's not as much work so it doesn't matter so much.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 963
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2022, 05:52:44 PM »
I figured it out. I know why I feel so awesome alone.

I skate so fast I've gone to plaid.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2022, 06:53:57 PM »

"How about that Tyshawn fellow, he's a certified ripper skater, isn't he!"
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 90
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2022, 07:57:31 AM »
I skate alone all the time.
Most of my skating friends don’t have much time for skating, but I do.
I don’t feel weird doing it. It’s good for progressing and for keeping the focus on the trick you’re learning.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -204
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2022, 01:14:14 PM »
Parks from 6am till 10 are free. And streets alone