Author Topic: Solo Backpacking Europe  (Read 1976 times)

twic3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 14
Solo Backpacking Europe
« on: June 27, 2022, 10:36:27 AM »
So I am planning a solo backpack trip during Thanksgiving through Paris-Belgium (Ghent or Antwerp)- Rotterdam- Frankfurt- back to Paris. I'm debating wether I should bring my board or not. I guess my concerns are:

-skating around alone and placing my bag down
-I will be staying 1-2 days max in each city, should I just do the most I can rather then skate?
-Because I will be staying in hostels and one bagging, I feel that if I choose to skate. It forces me to bring more clothes and do laundry somewhere during my trip. (I was just planning on rewearing sweatshirts and track pants)

This will be my first time traveling alone and in Europe, my main intentions with this trip is to just branch out and hopefully cure my burnout I've been feeling. I'm looking for any insight or advice.

Jonny7.5Alive

• Rep: 87
Re: Solo Backpacking Europe
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2022, 01:00:06 PM »
Defo bring your board you will kick yourself if you don't.

I'm from Europe, I've been to all of the above. Wouldn't worry too much about getting your stuff nicked.

Interesting route. Why are you taking that particular route can I ask ?

twic3

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2022, 02:26:12 PM »
I'm basing my route around the train system but I also want to avoid the traditional tourist cities like Amsterdam and Brussels. I'm only flying into Paris (CDG) because its the cheapest ticket but plan on hopping onto the train right after I land.

Ghent, I read good things about on reddit. Alot of brewery and I love how classical it looks.

Rotterdam because I want to visit The Hague at the same time. 

Frankfurt, its the banking capital of the world and seems pretty diverse. I may opt for Dusseldorf or Cologne though. I plan on Germany being my "Chill" part of the trip. Maybe get a airbnb to do laundry and reset, I feel like I will be burnt out from hostels at this point.

Paris, I only plan on staying 1 day in before I fly out. Idk why I'm not hyped about it.

I'm open to recommendation for other towns/cities that are also train accessible. I have no real itinerary for each city, just hoping to meet people in the hostels and get into whatever or skate around and enjoy the city myself.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 02:34:49 PM by twic3 »

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2022, 07:49:12 PM »
I'm basing my route around the train system but I also want to avoid the traditional tourist cities like Amsterdam and Brussels. I'm only flying into Paris (CDG) because its the cheapest ticket but plan on hopping onto the train right after I land.

Ghent, I read good things about on reddit. Alot of brewery and I love how classical it looks.

Rotterdam because I want to visit The Hague at the same time. 

Frankfurt, its the banking capital of the world and seems pretty diverse. I may opt for Dusseldorf or Cologne though. I plan on Germany being my "Chill" part of the trip. Maybe get a airbnb to do laundry and reset, I feel like I will be burnt out from hostels at this point.

Paris, I only plan on staying 1 day in before I fly out. Idk why I'm not hyped about it.

I'm open to recommendation for other towns/cities that are also train accessible. I have no real itinerary for each city, just hoping to meet people in the hostels and get into whatever or skate around and enjoy the city myself.

I met some cool dudes from Frankfurt and asked for spot recommendations, sounds like the meet up spot is Willy-Brandt-Platz plaza, with the giant Euro sculpture.

I did my euro trip and had my board but didn’t bring it to Paris and was definitely regretting it. Some cities can be tough to skate around if they have older, cobbled streets or sidewalks but it’s better to have it and not need it then not have it. Also, there’s so much good infrastructure and most of the hauptbahnhofs have lockers in central locations to stash your shit and roll.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2022, 10:44:01 PM »
So I am planning a solo backpack trip during Thanksgiving through Paris-Belgium (Ghent or Antwerp)- Rotterdam- Frankfurt- back to Paris. I'm debating wether I should bring my board or not. I guess my concerns are:

-skating around alone and placing my bag down
-I will be staying 1-2 days max in each city, should I just do the most I can rather then skate?
-Because I will be staying in hostels and one bagging, I feel that if I choose to skate. It forces me to bring more clothes and do laundry somewhere during my trip. (I was just planning on rewearing sweatshirts and track pants)

This will be my first time traveling alone and in Europe, my main intentions with this trip is to just branch out and hopefully cure my burnout I've been feeling. I'm looking for any insight or advice.

I live in Frankfurt. If you have any questions about the city just dm me. We have a lot of great street spots and a few fun parks as well. I‘d say bring your board for shure. Especially if you are traveling alone. It is always a good way to meet people and connect. The hostel conversations get old pretty quickly I feel. Usually you can lock your bag at your hostel so your stuff should be safe while you skate.

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 764
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2022, 11:24:09 PM »
commute between Amsterdam - the Hague is like 40min so don't let that hold you back...

I lived in both Amsterdam and Rotterdam and although both cities def have their pros and cons, and Rotterdam is the better skate city (bombed in ww2), I'd suggest that for a short trip like yours, and witouth a guide/local connect, you still visit Amsterdam instead. I can point you in the right direction, avoiding the tourist traps.

if you still decide to go to Rotterdam I can provide tips aswell.

And for Ghent, my sister and some friends studied there, it is the perfect (sized) city for a short trip.

pm me anytime

[edit: as for your board, Thanksgiving is November right? chances are it will be raining anyway, so if you weren't planning to skate, or use it to commute, then maybe don't. If you did (, to commute) set up some big(ger)/soft(er) wheels.]
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 11:52:25 PM by behavioralguide »

Skibb

• Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2022, 12:55:24 AM »
Even though chances are it's gonna be raining, I'd say bring your board. You never know when you'll get juiced to ride,  you come across some cool DIY or whatever, and then you'll be kicking yourself. Get a large trashbag to cover it and you can walk around with it on your back all day, rain or shine. And it's way easier to make friends with a board.  :)

Haven't spent too much time in any of the cities you're planning on going to, but heard really good things about Rotterdam and Cologne.

DiscountCanofTuna

• Rep: 7
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2022, 01:32:35 AM »
Backpacked with a mate a few years back, didn't have too many problems. Depending on your pack it can be a hassle to strap a board but stashing it at the hostel was never a problem.

If you're looking for a compromise, we flew over with our trucks and wheels, then picked up decks from the local shop when we found ourselves wanting to skate. If we ever had to ditch the decks to travel lighter (flying, trains were chill) we'd donate them to the local shop
2023 Slap Pals Fantasy Football Champion

Jonny7.5Alive

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2022, 04:11:05 AM »
Definitely do Amsterdam

Berlin too if you have time

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2022, 04:39:12 AM »
If your priority is skateboarding I’d suggest you to go Spain / Portugal.

At that time of the year it’s statistically super rainy in the places you mentioned. And cold / grim.

But they’re good places, pretty wild picks tbh haha.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2022, 06:21:17 AM »

At that time of the year it’s statistically super rainy in the places you mentioned. And cold / grim.

i've never been to spain but from what i've heard from friends and read online there's a lot of stealing going on there, at least in barcelona. don't think that's a good choice for a solo backpack trip
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2022, 07:09:12 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i've never been to spain but from what i've heard from friends and read online there's a lot of stealing going on there, at least in barcelona. don't think that's a good choice for a solo backpack trip

Yeah, as if Spain = Barcelona.

There’s much more to see.

Was suggesting OP like Malaga Granada Sevilla something like that. Or a coastal Portugal tour.

Can’t beat 15-20 Celsius sunny weather in late November.
I’d definitely personally avoid Benelux and all that in late November, but that’s subjective I guess.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

Jonny7.5Alive

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2022, 07:20:49 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I live in Barcelona. I wouldn't let pick pockets put you off coming to skate heaven. It's not bad if you are smart..

Also there's also the rest of Spain/Portugal

trash

• Rep: 11
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2022, 10:21:43 AM »
Sew an AirTag into your bag or stash it in something discrete that wouldn't get tossed

disclosed

• Rep: 168
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2022, 11:21:31 AM »
definitly skip just Amsterdam. its tourist hell in summer anyway. i'm from the Netherlands but Amsterdam is my least favorite city to be. especially if youre only planned to stay in this country for 2 days wasting one there isnt worth it.

Rotterdam is the best skate city in the Netherlands. so if you decide to bring your board you'll enjoy it there.
you can even just take the metro the the Hague really easy from there.

placing your bag down shoulnt be a problem. i mostly skate alone and i've never had a problem.
skateboard can help you commute faster through the cities too. so it might save you time in some ways too.
the only concern would be clothes. i mean im a crusty fucker so i dont care about rewearing sweaty clothes. the time youre going its not going to be warm at all. so sweating woulnt even be a concern of mine.

sluggers

• Rep: -405
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2022, 07:52:33 PM »
Definitely take your board, as for your route, two options in my mind for first time travel in Europe:

- Paris down to Rome, Italy hitting the French Riviera along the way and spots in between.

- Paris to Vienna, Austria stopping off randomly on the way and on return.

twic3

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2022, 11:37:01 AM »
Thanks for all the input guys, I don't have any doubts about bringing my board anymore.

I decided to extend the trip from 7 days to 14 after one of my friends convinced me that I shouldn't rush my way through Europe.

This is actually a option I'm considering now that I have more time, its either dussledorf-berlin-prague or frankfurt-munich-vienna.

I know you guys want me to go south but I'm from Florida and I want to be in cold weather lol. Experiencing a real Fall or winter is rare for me.

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2022, 12:02:16 PM »
If you can and if it's not raining, I would definitely suggest to plan to stay in Paris more than one day. It's my favorite city in Europe and my favorite city in Europe to skate. It does take a day or 2 to get into the vibe of it but it's not a big city at all and there's a ton of things to do.

I wasn't super excited to go when I first went (I had to go for work) but as soon as I arrived I fell in love with it and my dream would be to retire there one day. I spent one summer there as I found a flat to rent through a friend and it was so great. The locals in Paris are super nice and fun, and there's always something to do.

Go to the Louvre, it lives up to the hype for sure. If you're in the museum mood, my favorite small museum is Musée de la Chasse et de la Nature. It's a cool little hunting museum with drawers full of old hunting weapons and it's never crowded and super unique.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2022, 12:38:52 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys, I don't have any doubts about bringing my board anymore.

I decided to extend the trip from 7 days to 14 after one of my friends convinced me that I shouldn't rush my way through Europe.

Expand Quote
[close]

This is actually a option I'm considering now that I have more time, its either dussledorf-berlin-prague or frankfurt-munich-vienna.

I know you guys want me to go south but I'm from Florida and I want to be in cold weather lol. Experiencing a real Fall or winter is rare for me.

Extending is a great call, it's going to take a day or two to acclimate anyway so having two weeks is a great option. I would say Frankfurt Munich Vienna is maybe slightly better because munich and vienna are two of the best cities in my opinion. i'm currently in Frankfurt and I would say it's just ok. Berlin is very sick but it's super modern and international that it doesn't necessarily give you that "Europe" feeling in my opinion.

Also, as the other person recommended, if you can squeeze in Paris it is absolutely worth it. Also, Germany and Austria are both very Germanic so you don't get super different experiences, if you can squeeze in France it is a very different culture which would be cool for you to experience.

Jonny7.5Alive

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2022, 02:31:43 PM »
 I'm guessing because your American you dont like raving? Actual raving not what Americans call raving.

If you do go to Berlin check out the techno scene it will open your mind in ways you never dreamed lol.

Prague ls a great city also. Beautiful. Lots of rich history to explore too

twic3

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2022, 03:14:54 PM »
I'm guessing because your American you dont like raving? Actual raving not what Americans call raving.

If you do go to Berlin check out the techno scene it will open your mind in ways you never dreamed lol.

Prague ls a great city also. Beautiful. Lots of rich history to explore too

I actually love techno and tech house but yeah its very rare to come across someone else who is into it or real raves for that matter. Now you got me thinking about Berlin because that's something that I wont ever experience here in America... Day raves and such are popular in most major citys from what I understand though?

You guys are giving me really good suggestions, I wish I can experience it all.

twic3

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2022, 12:13:10 PM »
I guess this will be my final questions until I get closer to the trip.

What website do people use to book rail tickets? Is the eurorail pass worth for someone like me who will take a train every other day https://www.eurail.com/en/eurail-passes/global-pass

Eating out vs getting ready to eat stuff from a grocery store. Will I save money or is the cost almost the same?

Jonny7.5Alive

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2022, 02:31:36 PM »
I guess this will be my final questions until I get closer to the trip.

What website do people use to book rail tickets? Is the eurorail pass worth for someone like me who will take a train every other day https://www.eurail.com/en/eurail-passes/global-pass

Eating out vs getting ready to eat stuff from a grocery store. Will I save money or is the cost almost the same?

There's an inter rail pass you can use.

Cheaper to get stuff from grocery store in Europe. Grocerirs are cheap compared to US

rhetoric

• Rep: 24
  • Sparkalonius Died For You
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2022, 04:12:32 PM »
This is actually a option I'm considering now that I have more time, its either [...] or frankfurt-munich-vienna.

F-M-V is the total move, if you truly don't care enough to go to Amsterdam. I grew up in Heidelberg, Germany from '04-11 and it's more or less in between Frankfurt and Munich. It's considered to be one of, if not the most, beautiful city in Germany and has been heavily mentioned/integral in/to literature of centuries past (18th-early 20th). Philosophenweg (Philosopher's Walk) is a gorgeous walk/hiking trail that covers the most beautiful part of the Neckar River with perfect views of downtown Heidelberg and the Heidelberger Schloss (Heidelberg Castle - one of the oldest and most important remaining structures of the Renaissance period), walk that during the day and cross the Alte Brücke (old bridge) into downtown proper after sundown and enjoy yourself strolling down towards the Untere Straße area - "Lower Street," right in between the Neckar and the Hauptstraße (Main Street) - known as the Pub Mile. Some of the most fun, down-to-earth, real bars you can go to in the country. Huge international/open minded population due to Heidelberg University.

I can guarantee you'll have the time of your life and you'll absolutely kick yourself if you don't go. And if you do, bring your board, and catch the Straßenbahn (tram) to Leimen, a small industrial town on the outskirts of H-Town that has a shit-ton of smooth flatground (at least back then, I'm sure it's even better now).
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 04:22:16 PM by rhetoric »
The activity itself is self-explanatory: Use your fingers to maneuver a small skateboard. But many pros like famous fingerboarder Joe D say this seemingly easy fingerboarding requires the same precision and determination as skateboarding.

Not A Damn Chance

• Rep: 92
  • Banned from Slam
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2022, 08:14:52 PM »
If you know what’s good for you, you will include Innsbruck. Munich to Innsbruck to Vienna makes sense.
Innsbruck is amazing, one of my favorite cities.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2022, 11:11:51 AM »
Innsbruck is actually insane. The gondola up the mountain is expensive but is absolutely worth it. Don’t skip it if you go to Innsbruck. Get some dried sausages and a gosser radler and enjoy the views

rhetoric

• Rep: 24
  • Sparkalonius Died For You
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2022, 09:53:46 AM »
If you know what’s good for you, you will include Innsbruck. Munich to Innsbruck to Vienna makes sense.

Innsbruck is actually insane. The gondola up the mountain is expensive but is absolutely worth it. Don’t skip it if you go to Innsbruck. Get some dried sausages and a gosser radler and enjoy the views

These dudes know the truth. Listen to em. Hell, since you're going over Thanksgiving the skiing is gonna be getting good for the year all throughout that area. We used to going skiing there at least once a year, it's got great runs and is beautiful.

If you got time, this would (IMO) be the move:
Fly in. Frankfurt > Mannheim/Heidelberg > Karlsruhe > Stuttgart > Strasbourg (it's right off A5 and it's a wonderful French city right on the border) > Basel/Zürich (again this all follows your route, so def hit up Switzerland. It's absolutely tits) > Innsbruck > Munich > Salzburg > Vienna. Fly out.

It wouldn't allow me to add Vienna cause I guess Google Maps maxes out at 10 stops.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 10:04:57 AM by rhetoric »
The activity itself is self-explanatory: Use your fingers to maneuver a small skateboard. But many pros like famous fingerboarder Joe D say this seemingly easy fingerboarding requires the same precision and determination as skateboarding.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2022, 08:01:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

These dudes know the truth. Listen to em. Hell, since you're going over Thanksgiving the skiing is gonna be getting good for the year all throughout that area. We used to going skiing there at least once a year, it's got great runs and is beautiful.

If you got time, this would (IMO) be the move:
Fly in. Frankfurt > Mannheim/Heidelberg > Karlsruhe > Stuttgart > Strasbourg (it's right off A5 and it's a wonderful French city right on the border) > Basel/Zürich (again this all follows your route, so def hit up Switzerland. It's absolutely tits) > Innsbruck > Munich > Salzburg > Vienna. Fly out.

It wouldn't allow me to add Vienna cause I guess Google Maps maxes out at 10 stops.

This is a good route. I wouldn’t spend much time
In Frankfurt, I just got back and imo it fully sucks, def the worst German city I’ve been to. Strasbourg is right over the border from Freiburg which was one of the best cities I’ve ever been to so that’s a good 1-2 punch. Switzerland is tight but very expensive so plan for that. Also, if you have time throw in Liechtenstein. It’s a fun one to say you’ve been too, and somehow they have three skateparks in the country half the size of most American cities…

Skibb

• Rep: 68
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2022, 11:34:02 PM »
This thread reminds me of how fucking sick Europe is.

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1079
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2022, 12:40:08 PM »
Don't mean to rain on the parade, but I would leave the board at home this time and just experience the trip.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"