Author Topic: Per today’s national news … Ricci & Shiloh  (Read 2072 times)

BRINK

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -937
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Per today’s national news … Ricci & Shiloh
« on: June 27, 2022, 12:36:29 PM »
Posting because I think Ricci’s story should be heard and supported in the wake of yet another national anti-trans skateboarding-related news blitz today. Any support for Ricci or sharing of this is appreciated. There are shorter clips on my IG if anyone cares.

Thanks,

Brink

Patrick2G

• Rep: -299
Re: Per today’s national news … Ricci & Shiloh
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2022, 02:17:21 PM »
Hey Brink, what are your thoughts on Ricci’s win over the weekend? Do you think it was “fair”? Do you think that the other women in the contest had an unfair disadvantage? It’s all very confusing.

BRINK

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2022, 02:31:30 PM »
Hey Brink, what are your thoughts on Ricci’s win over the weekend? Do you think it was “fair”? Do you think that the other women in the contest had an unfair disadvantage? It’s all very confusing.

To me, first and foremost, skateboarding is about fun and fun with your friends. Every contest I ever skated was memorable and none of that had anything to do with where I placed. I knew damn well I was going against people better than me and it never bothered me. Even though some were sponsored ams by major companies and I wasn’t. Maybe that’s not an “apples to apples” comparison … I dunno what’s “fair” cuz I’m and old fart and never looked at it like that. It  was just a great time with everyone … whether I knew them or not, they were friends now. But it seems there are some people taking this shit so seriously. Based on Shiloh’s post today … she’s about the former. I’ve already spoken to Ricci today and she’s taking it well and getting hit up by reporters, which I may help her with. I sent this video out to all the skate media in hopes of her getting some love in a time that could be really hard for her. So much hate happening. The media never really supported this the first time around so I’m hoping it gets some love now to give ricci a boost during a tough time.

Mandatory Reload

• Rep: 79
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2022, 03:10:31 PM »
Ricci is rad, just discovered her via the Red Bull SOLUS contest and was hyped on her skating, and have now discovered Shiloh as well and she rips too, although I wish I was finding her skating under better circumstances. Was extra stoked to see Shiloh's response supporting Ricci, too. Embarrassing that a 13 year old can figure out a more appropriate response in this situation than Taylor Silverman, a grown ass adult. It does give me just the tiniest bit of hope that the next generation of skateboarding might be a bit less problematic

BRINK

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2022, 03:14:01 PM »
Ricci is rad, just discovered her via the Red Bull SOLUS contest and was hyped on her skating, and have now discovered Shiloh as well and she rips too, although I wish I was finding her skating under better circumstances. Was extra stoked to see Shiloh's response supporting Ricci, too. Embarrassing that a 13 year old can figure out a more appropriate response in this situation than Taylor Silverman, a grown ass adult. It does give me just the tiniest bit of hope that the next generation of skateboarding might be a bit less problematic

Didn’t know Shiloh either but now she’s got another fan.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2022, 04:03:00 PM »
Really really good. Thank you for that. This is my first time listening to a trans women talk about all the hardships of transitioning and what it truly means for them. Super interesting and actually answered a lot of questions for me.
Some brutal honesty and I appreciate that a lot

BRINK

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2022, 04:13:37 PM »
Really really good. Thank you for that. This is my first time listening to a trans women talk about all the hardships of transitioning and what it truly means for them. Super interesting and actually answered a lot of questions for me.
Some brutal honesty and I appreciate that a lot

Thanks for watching 🙏🏻

Patrick2G

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2022, 05:04:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

To me, first and foremost, skateboarding is about fun and fun with your friends. Every contest I ever skated was memorable and none of that had anything to do with where I placed. I knew damn well I was going against people better than me and it never bothered me. Even though some were sponsored ams by major companies and I wasn’t. Maybe that’s not an “apples to apples” comparison … I dunno what’s “fair” cuz I’m and old fart and never looked at it like that. It  was just a great time with everyone … whether I knew them or not, they were friends now. But it seems there are some people taking this shit so seriously. Based on Shiloh’s post today … she’s about the former. I’ve already spoken to Ricci today and she’s taking it well and getting hit up by reporters, which I may help her with. I sent this video out to all the skate media in hopes of her getting some love in a time that could be really hard for her. So much hate happening. The media never really supported this the first time around so I’m hoping it gets some love now to give ricci a boost during a tough time.

Interesting take, thanks for the reply! I’m not sure how I feel about it. I don’t think skateboarding is about competition, but to some people it is, so I can understand biological females being frustrated. Having said that obviously it is important to be inclusive. Confusing times. Not sure what a solution would be to make everyone happy.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 147
  • I cut my grip with Occam's razor
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2022, 06:49:11 PM »
I think things go from fun and wholesome to serious competition once money is on the line.

BRINK

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2022, 08:46:18 PM »
I think things go from fun and wholesome to serious competition once money is on the line.

Perhaps. I also think age/experience/ability/time on the board has a lot more to do with it than actual gender in many cases.

Patrick2G

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2022, 03:11:04 AM »
I wonder what contests would look like if it was just one open “division”, men and women and everyone else just competes together. To be honest, I think men would completely dominate, but I could be wrong. But looking across most athletics, including skateboarding, that seems to be the case. Would a contest circuit (sls, x games, etc) be completely wrong to say biological females are only allowed to compete while other contest circuits let everyone be included? Could be up to how whoever is running the the contest wants to run it?

cky enthusiast

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2022, 06:32:36 AM »

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1292
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2022, 06:51:48 AM »
I love in taylor silverman's post about this the comments are going in about Ricci competing against young kids. Apparently it was fine when taylor regularly lost to 12 year olds at 27.

Checked Shiloh's footage and she is already lightyears better than Taylor. Of course you don't need to be good to enjoy skating but you should prob be decent when you are so entitled to winning like taylor is.

WavyDavy

• Rep: 128
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2022, 07:17:21 AM »
I love in taylor silverman's post about this the comments are going in about Ricci competing against young kids. Apparently it was fine when taylor regularly lost to 12 year olds at 27.

Yeah, this age argument is really weird and it seems to be just an excuse for people's transphobia.
Where is the outrage about adult skaters competing and winning against 12 year old boys? Seems like people are ok with it or don't care.

$$LESH

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Rep: 164
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2022, 08:35:28 AM »

Patrick2G

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2022, 10:56:03 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah, this age argument is really weird and it seems to be just an excuse for people's transphobia.
Where is the outrage about adult skaters competing and winning against 12 year old boys? Seems like people are ok with it or don't care.

I think it is being used to add to there point of it being unfair in nature, like not only is it a transwomen but they are also competing against little girls. Like they are even at more of a disadvantage than if a man was competing against younger boys. Basically saying a man is competing against a little girl is less fair than a grown woman doing so. Not very well communicated.