Author Topic: Bad Trick Selection? Specific examples from video parts?  (Read 2937 times)

JRF

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 145
Re: Bad Trick Selection? Specific examples from video parts?
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2022, 07:55:42 PM »
I often read the phrase "I like his trick selection" or "that skater has good trick selection."

What is bad trick selection?

Is it:

1) "of course he was going to that trick at the end of that line, how boring"?

2) "I hate that trick anyway so anyone who selects to do that trick is making a bad trick selection"

3) illegal tricks? (seems like different topic)

4) a trick that doesn't "go with" the previous / next trick, or that is incongruous with the line or spot or even skater?

5) somethin' else?

Please elucidate, and if possible please link examples from specific video parts that show a bad trick selection, thanks

The fuck is an “illegal trick”?

And why would you want to watch a bad video part? That sounds unusually depressing.
//////////

Spectre

• Rep: -40
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2022, 09:02:32 PM »
Gonna get kooked to all holy hell but i gotta be me . Chris mango milic is bad trick selection to me.

JRF

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2022, 09:27:31 PM »
Gonna get kooked to all holy hell but i gotta be me . Chris mango milic is bad trick selection to me.

Are you saying a person, as a whole, is a bad trick selection? Or are you saying that said person has a bad trick selection?
//////////

Sick_McCrank_

• Rep: -480
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2022, 12:38:38 AM »
People also complain about fashion in relation to trick selection  ;D
Trendwatch 2022: kooking Sick_McCrank_ everyday for being a kook

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2022, 01:18:18 AM »
It's doing ugly looking tricks or doing tricks you can't make look good. Like, Marc Johnson can do illegal tricks but most of the time they look good. It can also be doing overly technical tricks with no regards to whether they look good on film. Mike Carroll can pressure flip from a bump over a picnic table and everyone will be hyped cuz it looked amazing. 99.9 percent skaters try a pressure flip it looks ugly. So, bad trick selection is doing bad looking tricks. Sometimes because in general they are ugly tricks and you can't make them look good (laser flips) other times its doing regular tricks but doing them too slow, rocket and/or without enough pop.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2022, 01:24:47 AM »
An important part of trick selection is actually having a bag of tricks to select from. As mentioned having good style is also very important but there's so many with good style who only do the same twenty tricks constantly being praised for their trick selection who I don't think deserve it. There's guys like Chris Cole, ishod who can literally do every trick and usually know when to pull something weird out. MJ's maybe best example with late flips, laser flips etc. lucas too first and last tricks in this clip would be a joke if anyone else did them https://youtu.be/qG93vLuHYUU

Tenterhooks

• Rep: 112
  • I love you x
    • http://davidgalletly.com avatar image
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2022, 02:45:41 AM »
Sometimes an unusual spot screams out for a trick, combo and/or approach and seeing someone execute it is immensely satisfying. It scratches a 'that was correct' itch and makes whatever they did feel obvious in retrospect. On the other hand, sometimes a skater will contradict the obvious approach with something unexpected and that creates a pleasurable dissonance. People with good trick selection instinctively know when to do one and when to do the other.
"Was I a hero? Maybe to Hero, I was a hero." - Doug Brown

xrossings

• Rep: 61
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2022, 03:13:03 AM »
anything joey brezinski did

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2022, 05:16:16 AM »
An important part of trick selection is actually having a bag of tricks to select from. As mentioned having good style is also very important but there's so many with good style who only do the same twenty tricks constantly being praised for their trick selection who I don't think deserve it. There's guys like Chris Cole, ishod who can literally do every trick and usually know when to pull something weird out. MJ's maybe best example with late flips, laser flips etc. lucas too first and last tricks in this clip would be a joke if anyone else did them https://youtu.be/qG93vLuHYUU
I don't think having a limited bag of tricks kills it, as long as those tricks are done super clean/proper. Huf comes to mind for this. Yes, he had a limited bag, but no one else was doing them with as much pop at the time. I'm sure he had other tricks in his bag, but if they didn't match the aesthetic of his skating because he couldn't pop them or keep them as clean it would detract from his parts. But, it's best to keep those parts on the shorter side, and pick the best of what you have doing your staples.

It's also how much this runs alongside great spot selection for said tricks.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2022, 05:34:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Van Wastell is an example of an unusual trick selection merging with a skater's style and it all just working out. Some skaters can do varian flips and some can't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqwQV3oJhzE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u3S1mH_7Do&t=208s
[close]

I maintain to this day Van influenced the modern use of body varials and 50-50 BS 180 out.

Front 5050 back 180 is about  my only ledge trick and I do it specifically because of Van.

Spectre

« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2022, 08:12:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Are you saying a person, as a whole, is a bad trick selection? Or are you saying that said person has a bad trick selection?

You're fuckin silly

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 646
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2022, 09:46:30 AM »
Once I drop my part I'll come back and link it as a prime example

JRF

« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2022, 09:00:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Pretty Sweet was like the pinnacle of the "NBD Ender" era. so mcuh emphasis put onto getting these never before seen tricks etc especially in those later TWS vids. it just got silly after awhile. a lot of those tricks were gross. i dont know if hardflip back noseblunt can ever look good...
[close]
https://youtu.be/g3j9muCo4o0
I think Mariano just had to get it out his system right after pretty sweet he toned it down a fair bit https://youtu.be/REu6JsHKpB4 part starts at 1:50

Can’t hate on guy obviously. But his 2 to 3 trick guest nbds in the early 90’s (pack of lies, virtual reality and new world order) videos were fucking magical and untouchable … those clips could never be criticized    replicated or outdone  IMO..
//////////

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2022, 09:10:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Pretty Sweet was like the pinnacle of the "NBD Ender" era. so mcuh emphasis put onto getting these never before seen tricks etc especially in those later TWS vids. it just got silly after awhile. a lot of those tricks were gross. i dont know if hardflip back noseblunt can ever look good...
[close]
https://youtu.be/g3j9muCo4o0
I think Mariano just had to get it out his system right after pretty sweet he toned it down a fair bit https://youtu.be/REu6JsHKpB4 part starts at 1:50
[close]

Can’t hate on guy obviously. But his 2 to 3 trick guest nbds in the early 90’s (pack of lies, virtual reality and new world order) videos were fucking magical and untouchable … those clips could never be criticized    replicated or outdone  IMO..

I can see that, yeah. I didn't grow up in that era but as a skate nerd, it makes sense; the epitome of less is more. It's almost as if someone told him that he reached such a high level that he could tone it down and put out sporadic footage to enhance his mystique, and thus his appeal. Maybe Rodney. Maybe that's what Rodney whispered in Antwuan's ear as well. I've already said too much.

JRF

« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2022, 09:41:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

You're fuckin silly

I know, that post was terrible, an attempt at being annoying for the purpose of making only myself laugh, so yeah, it was fucking silly, immature and stupid for sure, no joke, being serious
//////////

Spectre

« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2022, 09:46:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

You're fuckin silly
[close]

I know, that post was terrible, an attempt at being annoying for the purpose of making only myself laugh, so yeah, it was fucking silly, immature and stupid for sure, no joke, being serious

Yeah i know dude i was picking up what you were putting down no worries

matureoftheocean

• Rep: 56
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2022, 02:51:17 PM »
It's doing ugly looking tricks or doing tricks you can't make look good. Like, Marc Johnson can do illegal tricks but most of the time they look good. It can also be doing overly technical tricks with no regards to whether they look good on film. Mike Carroll can pressure flip from a bump over a picnic table and everyone will be hyped cuz it looked amazing. 99.9 percent skaters try a pressure flip it looks ugly. So, bad trick selection is doing bad looking tricks. Sometimes because in general they are ugly tricks and you can't make them look good (laser flips) other times its doing regular tricks but doing them too slow, rocket and/or without enough pop.

MJ yeah right
SUOMI | FINLAND | PRKL www.fat1937.blogspot.com

JRF

« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2022, 04:07:53 PM »

I love watching lucas puig footage. It’s always such a feel good edit and it looks like Lucas lives the most awesome life, a life to envy..
//////////