Author Topic: Death Lens settings?  (Read 867 times)

SlapMcKracken

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 90
Death Lens settings?
« on: June 30, 2022, 11:32:53 PM »
I bough the fisheye and the pro but what settings should I use in the death lens app when I want to make  Instagram clips ?

On thei website they say „square“ is perfect for Instagram, but wouldn’t hd make more sense?

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 565
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
Re: Death Lens settings?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2022, 01:20:04 AM »

it depends "where" you upload it
as a classic post you can't turn your screen to make it full screen (square might be better in that case)
as a reel i think you can (HD should fit)

but it first depends on how you want it to look

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2022, 03:05:25 AM »

as a classic post you can't turn your screen to make it full screen (square might be better in that case)

Oh man I’m not even on Instagram yet! Could you explain the difference ? I have no idea what you are talking about

I’ll read up on it

Edit:ok I don’t get it. When would it make sense to post a reel instead of a classic post ?

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2022, 06:40:06 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Oh man I’m not even on Instagram yet! Could you explain the difference ? I have no idea what you are talking about

I’ll read up on it

Edit:ok I don’t get it. When would it make sense to post a reel instead of a classic post ?

Reels make sense when you film vertically as the video will take up the entire screen. If you film in 16:9, 4:3 or square, the video will either be cropped in to fill the screen or have huge black spaces above and below the video.

Film vertical: Reel/ Story
Film horizontal/ square: Post

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2022, 09:26:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

I’ll read up on it

[close]

Reels make sense when you film vertically as the video will take up the entire screen. If you film in 16:9, 4:3 or square, the video will either be cropped in to fill the screen or have huge black spaces above and below the video.

I see, thx!

But what differs a reel video from an average post?
Just the vertical / horizontal posts? That’s it? I don’t get it

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2022, 10:24:39 AM »

Reels are presented in more of a TikTok style, and maybe shown to everyone, not just followers? Stories are kinda like hard posts that disappear after 24 hours.

IDK, I'm old and that's the best I can come up with.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2022, 02:14:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

I’ll read up on it

[close]

[close]

I see, thx!

it's a bit weird to explain because insta has flopped between different video formats/platforms for uploading. when the video thing first got added it was 15 second clips, then it got expanded to 1 minute, then they came about with the IGTV thing, then I assume that got scrapped and now it's "reels" - reels are basically just Insta's attempt at Tiktok videos.

so let's say you film a clip of someone in portrait/verical mode. if you post that as a regular video post it will be cropped down to a square format, so you'll either be chopping heads or boards off the clip most likely. this doesn't affect landscape/horizontal videos.

if you post the portrait/vertical clip as a reel, it will be uncropped and allow you to add other clips to the reel, along with music. it also shows up in the reels section of IG and not just the main post feed, so you tend to get likes from people who don't follow you etc. i started posting clips as reels recently as i was tired of insta's shitty cropping, last video post was 2 weeks ago and i still get a couple likes a day on it. had some friends who's reels got picked up by the algorithm and they got a shit ton of views/likes.

you can also post the vertical clips as a story; think of them like temporary posts that are there for 24 hours, however they also have the option to be permanently shown in a highlights section on your profile.

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2022, 04:20:36 PM »
Ok thx guys. That’s all new to me.

Another video question:
Is there a way to get the shaking out after it’s filmed?

Everybody who films me sucks at filming.

I would love an iPhone app for it if possible. I tried emilsio cause I heard that can do it, but no. Didn’t work.
I’d have to zoom like crazy and that would fuck the videos up too.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2022, 01:45:51 AM »
isn't the shaking coming from stabilization being on on your phone while using a fisheye ?
if so, you can change that in the Deathlens app

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2022, 04:10:49 PM »
Oh I need to check if stabilization is on. So without would be better?

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2022, 01:19:00 AM »
you always disable stabilization when using a fisheye on a phone or on a real camera

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2022, 02:11:45 AM »
you always disable stabilization when using a fisheye on a phone or on a real camera

Oh man I’m such an idiot. I thought you use it always with fisheye lenses, at least when you use one with a vignette

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2022, 06:06:52 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Oh man I’m such an idiot. I thought you use it always with fisheye lenses, at least when you use one with a vignette

you def want any stab turned off while filming fisheye, but it might also be shaky from the actual filming. One of the best ways to avoid shaky cam is to add weight. If you're using a cam caddie or whatever they are, see if you can add a couple pounds of weight to it.