Author Topic: HOCKEY X  (Read 42090 times)

backside_frontside

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -295
Re: HOCKEY X
« Reply #420 on: August 03, 2022, 06:18:34 PM »
since we're discussing the intricacies of this video: really love that hockey hasn't monetized it on their youtube channel. no ad breaks or mid-clip cutaways to interrupt your attention

It is nice though I’m sure the amount of ad revenue they’d make pales in comparison to what they bring in off soft goods. Don’t monetize cuz you don’t need the revenue and score cool guy points so people buy more soft goods. Smart business move.

No Wave Comply

• Rep: 133
  • Phantom of the Skatepark
« Reply #421 on: August 04, 2022, 02:26:02 PM »
Dont understand why you need an indepth review of a video that runs the length of the video. You could just watch it. No one reads pitchfork anymore because you can just stream whatevers coming out. What does the old crailtap manny guy have to expand on anything, let alone benny's stuff

Very true. I didn't really expect Nine Club to have anything interesting to say; I guess I was just venting about how awful they come across and how out of their depth they are when "reviewing" a good video.

I'm also just a huge nerd that likes to discuss skate videos, movies, music, etc. just for the sake of conversation and analysis. So yeah, I guess I'm looking for an analysis, not a review.
a grunt  a mudhog  a slimedog
a simple servant  a hired hand

“Come in here dear boy, have a gnar, you’re gonna go far!”

No Wave Comply

• Rep: 133
  • Phantom of the Skatepark
« Reply #422 on: August 04, 2022, 02:30:14 PM »
Expand Quote
anyone got the soundtrack list?
[close]

the second half of joe's part is the outro to Nostos Algos by Thrones.

everyone popping boners about benny creating a particular mood might be interested to hear the source material for the first half of joe's part is another Thrones song (Reddleman) that benny must have made a loop of/from and fucked with by maybe pitchshifting it (?) since it doesn't sound quite 'right'...

nik's part sounded vaguely like someone playing around with stems from Jesu's Heart Ache ep.  while that's not it, i'm guessing the track is possibly an edit pieced together from similar source material just for the video (but would love to be proven wrong).

Thrones played at my house in 2012 and joe preston was/is a sweet old animal loving teddybear and is as far from a nazi as people get, so at least there's progress on that front.

Joe Preston was also in Melvins during one of their best eras, so he's kind of a heavy music/noise god. Heard he was a big fan of cough syrup too.
a grunt  a mudhog  a slimedog
a simple servant  a hired hand

“Come in here dear boy, have a gnar, you’re gonna go far!”

Rockin Robbin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 423
« Reply #423 on: August 15, 2022, 08:26:43 AM »
Reviving this thread because I recently discovered that AA looks a lot like young Jeff Bridges.

"Bake me a pie of love" - Steve Winwood

Johnny $witchblade

• Rep: -87
« Reply #424 on: August 15, 2022, 06:04:34 PM »
I never thought the day would come when a hockey video bored me.

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #425 on: August 24, 2022, 07:19:04 AM »
Recent podcast with Caleb Barnett - https://www.sayyouswearpodcast.com/1828058/11153417

Talks about how he edited the song for his part and his interests outside of skateboarding.

quackquack

• Rep: -397
« Reply #426 on: August 24, 2022, 12:49:19 PM »
Reviving this thread because I recently discovered that AA looks a lot like young Jeff Bridges.

Oh, the places you'll go.

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #427 on: August 30, 2022, 05:15:33 PM »
We can all rest easy knowing that Ben did land the 50-50 (watch to the end)

Coldcut

• Rep: 34
« Reply #428 on: August 31, 2022, 02:35:51 AM »
We can all rest easy knowing that Ben did land the 50-50 (watch to the end)

Thanks a lot for unearthing the truth of this mystery question! 
Next one on my list, will be for sure the BenD *asphalt* enigma ;)

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #429 on: November 23, 2022, 12:28:46 PM »

Diego Todd is on a very short list of skaters I am excited to watch a bails video of.

The list would be Diego Todd, John Cardiel, Nelly Morville, and I can't think of anyone else right now but I know there's a couple others.

Dude just goes so hard, and then smiles as he picks himself up. So excited for whatever his next part is.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #430 on: November 23, 2022, 12:58:36 PM »
that last back 5050 slam is so jacked, that spot is right near the beach so you know how rugged and unforgiving that ground is that he munched on

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #431 on: November 23, 2022, 01:13:51 PM »

Diego Todd is on a very short list of skaters I am excited to watch a bails video of.

The list would be Diego Todd, John Cardiel, Nelly Morville, and I can't think of anyone else right now but I know there's a couple others.

Dude just goes so hard, and then smiles as he picks himself up. So excited for whatever his next part is.

John Fitzgerald can pile that huge bod like a champ

OwlGreen

• Rep: -127
« Reply #432 on: November 23, 2022, 01:50:57 PM »

Cutter's Way is the fucking best

CrappyChan

• Rep: -54
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #433 on: January 12, 2023, 03:31:31 PM »
Can anyone shine any light on how they achieve the look of Hockey videos? I'd like to make some short films that have a similar grainy quality that doesn't look like total bullshit like most filters inside editing programs.
"From Todd Falcon to Tony Hawk, the Ben Raybourn story"

MtnDoucheBag

• Rep: -96
« Reply #434 on: January 12, 2023, 04:05:29 PM »
Can anyone shine any light on how they achieve the look of Hockey videos? I'd like to make some short films that have a similar grainy quality that doesn't look like total bullshit like most filters inside editing programs.

Try filming video off your monitor or tv then put a transparent grey screen overlay on it, or invest in a vhs player

MtnDoucheBag

« Reply #435 on: January 12, 2023, 04:07:39 PM »
Try filming video off your monitor or tv then put a transparent grey screen overlay on it, or invest in a vhs camcorder

MtnDoucheBag

« Reply #436 on: January 12, 2023, 04:10:34 PM »
Try filming video off your monitor or tv then put a transparent grey screen overlay on it, or invest in a vhs camcorder

Lessfillingtastegreat

• Rep: 54
« Reply #437 on: January 12, 2023, 04:18:50 PM »
Sure, edit the video first.  Then put it on a tube television.  Get your camera out and video the television screen.  This works best if you’re off balanced and drunk.  Also works better if the original footage is shit to begin with and misses the majority of the skating.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Helps if you turn the contrast and saturation up too.
8.1 Drift -  venture 5.6 , Jessup, SFF  54mm Swiss ceramics  -https://imgur.com/a/WlDgenx

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #438 on: January 12, 2023, 05:55:25 PM »
knock down your footage framerate to 24fps or less, duplicate the footage and add a blur and set it to overlay or screen and adjust opacity, offset it by a frame or two.
also adjust colors/saturation etc.
i have to plug this vhs simulator too https://github.com/JargeZ/ntscqt, it’s definitely the most realistic looking vhs effect i’ve seen.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1303
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #439 on: January 13, 2023, 09:50:25 AM »
As other folks pointed out, one look is achieved by refilming your edit off of a tv (old heads call this scan converting.) The other look is from refilming off of a mid-range monitor. If you watch closely, you can identify that's what has been done by the screen tearing that they get when they film off of the monitor as the framerate looses sync for a frame here and there
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.