Author Topic: Non-skate brands that started a skate program, then cut it, then brought it back  (Read 3648 times)

ndsr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Remember when Joey Brezinski whas trying to push Puma into a skate program a never hapen
[close]

Puma has done this repeatedly. They ran ads with Kien Lieu back in the early/mid 00's. It's in and out all the time; I thought Sewa was going to bring it back a few years ago.
[close]
Alan PetErson had a pro model
Also Scott Bourne.

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
Nike
Converse
Adidas
LRG
Simple
Swatch

Does LRG count as non skate? Felt like they always had a team whenever they could afford to have one. It doesn’t follow the “older pro’s new hustle” model that most skate companies follow, but they’re more connected with the culture than these other brands listed.

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1421
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
Expand Quote
Nike did it like 3 times w savier 6.0 then SB
[close]
Reebok had some vert team in the 90s under Boks then came back in the early 00s with rbk
I’ve told this story before, but I used to work with a psychiatrist on the autism spectrum who wore RBK DGK shoes exclusively for years. He said he found them on clearance and bought like 10 pairs. That man had the wildest fits ever.

DGK also did a Fila thing for a bit.

Punished Skateboards

• Rep: 61
Expand Quote
Nike
Converse
Adidas
LRG
Simple
Swatch
[close]

Does LRG count as non skate? Felt like they always had a team whenever they could afford to have one. It doesn’t follow the “older pro’s new hustle” model that most skate companies follow, but they’re more connected with the culture than these other brands listed.

I counted them as a non-skate brand because I believe they launched without a skate program. I don't recall seeing any skate ads until 2001.

https://blog.eastbay.com/all/lrg-clothing-underground-inventive-overground-effective/

"In 1999, the late Jonas Bevacqua and Robert Wright founded the clothing brand Lifted Research Group, better known today as LRG. Wright used his experiences from working at companies like Quiksilver, O’Neill and Katin, while Jonas had inside sources from his friends in the fashion industry."

Karl was their first pro and the company had been around for a bit before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yKnCWvjku4

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
SKF bearings just came back with Oski, Ishod, Louie, Kader etc. on the team. Earlier on they had Reynolds & who else?

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 752
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
SKF bearings just came back with Oski, Ishod, Louie, Kader etc. on the team. Earlier on they had Reynolds & who else?

Oh that’s what I was thinking about. Got it confused with FKD which who knows if they’re still around. Their site has Biebel on it lol

nothing's been the since same

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 355
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Remember when Joey Brezinski whas trying to push Puma into a skate program a never hapen
[close]

Puma has done this repeatedly. They ran ads with Kien Lieu back in the early/mid 00's. It's in and out all the time; I thought Sewa was going to bring it back a few years ago.
[close]

Also Scott Bourne.
[close]
That version of puma lasted a while. I was sure kien had pro models and maybe even Alan Peterson too but now looking can't find anything. Anyone who was around back then remember?
[close]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1hTt7H6UM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQftQP6u62Y

What in the absolute fuck is that Kien Lieu video? Confusing on multiple levels.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

BacksideWallride

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
Natural Koncepts?

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Also Scott Bourne.
[close]
That version of puma lasted a while. I was sure kien had pro models and maybe even Alan Peterson too but now looking can't find anything. Anyone who was around back then remember?
[close]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1hTt7H6UM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQftQP6u62Y
[close]

What in the absolute fuck is that Kien Lieu video? Confusing on multiple levels.

I had never seen that video before, the opening quote in French is equally baffling. It's not what the on-screen text that is credited as an actual quote says at all, but instead translates to 'in the span of just a few years, Puma went from being out of fashion to becoming the most appreciated athletic brand within the elite of capitalism' (like, fucking point blank), pause and then it transitions to the footage.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
Anyone mention FKD bearings? Were they gone but came back with another skate program recently?

Just realized they could make corny merch that says “ GET FKD UP” or something haha.

Ngl when I came back to skating after like a 10 year break, I bought some Lutzka FKDs on sale for like $10 and they put in work. Never cleaned them but they were loud as fuck and lasted me a good year before I trashed them.

For my contribution, I'll mention Ice Cream. Didn't they try to come back a few times?

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Expand Quote
To be fair Gonz was always on adidas.
[close]

I meant since he got on late 90s-early 00s, not since the dawn of time.

Dusty

• Rep: -4
Natural Koncepts?

Wasn’t Katch 1 supposed to launch NK Skateboards out of Hawaii again? They had an Instagram and everything  but I can’t find it now.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Some of yall really don't understand what non-skate means

FerranRD

6.0 was bmx

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Surprised no one has said Dickies yet.

Although a work wear brand that many people including skateboarders have worn for a long time, they really only had a specific skate program around 2000 for a while with people like Mike V, then seemed to drop it entirely, then came back with colabs with DLX around 2007-2008 with more 2010-2011 (Antihero and Spitfire x Dickies clothing which I still have) to now having a bigger skate team than ever before and way more of a focus on skate related clothing for the last ten years maybe.

Happy for anyone to fill in gaps and tell me anything else, or correct me if I got any of it wrong too.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 03:44:23 AM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854

Although a work wear brand that many people including skateboarders have worn for a long time, they really only had a specific skate program around 2000 for a while with people like Mike V, then seemed to drop it entirely, then came back with colabs with DLX around 2007-2008 with more 2010-2011 (Antihero and Spitfire x Dickies clothing which I still have) to now having a bigger skate team than ever before and way more of a focus on skate related clothing for the last ten years maybe.

Happy for anyone to fill in gaps and tell me anything else, or correct me if I got any of it wrong too.
Not to correct just to add there was also Greco's Dickies phase around whenever that death wish video was (2012?)
And speaking of Mike v does airwalk count?

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
Expand Quote

[close]
Not to correct just to add there was also Greco's Dickies phase around whenever that death wish video was (2012?)

You just reminded me of Nate Sherwood's stint on Airspeed, a deal that last manifested maybe less than a year later via a video of Nate lighting the shoes on fire.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Expand Quote

[close]

Ha yeah, was Greco actually on Dickies or just repped them hard?

**  Googled it and he was on the team in 2012  **

Even a thread about it from 2015 too:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=84437.0

I think Airwalk came and went and was bought and sold more than once, but I didn't keep track of what happened there.

Last time Airwalk was relevant for me was when the Jason Lee, Tony Hawk and Jim shoe came out mid to late 90s I think (still got the boxes too) and then it kind of fell apart after that, or at least it seemed to here in AU, with them all but gone for a while and then generic versions that looked like a Converse One Star coming back in sports shoe stores for a minute.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Punished Skateboards

• Rep: 61
Expand Quote
[close]

6.0 was bmx

“Our focus is on surf, snowboarding, BMX, MOTO, skiing and wake (Six sports=6.0).”

https://shop-eat-surf.com/2013/05/2009-08-nike-6-0-exec-on-new-logo-apparel-and-the-action-sports-industry/

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

6.0 was bmx
[close]

“Our focus is on surf, snowboarding, BMX, MOTO, skiing and wake (Six sports=6.0).”

https://shop-eat-surf.com/2013/05/2009-08-nike-6-0-exec-on-new-logo-apparel-and-the-action-sports-industry/

That must have been after they restructured the brand. I had a homie who was 6.0 flow. I skated in a 6.0 event.

His Nike boxes were insane. They basically the entire line in the box. This was peak bright colors and patent leather era.

Pbn_jake

• Rep: 30
I miss Gravis

Go to Japan, they’re still a thing out there.