Author Topic: Spitfire Formula 4 Classics vs Tablets vs Conical Fulls?  (Read 3670 times)

RaptorHunter182

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
Spitfire Formula 4 Classics vs Tablets vs Conical Fulls?
« on: June 16, 2022, 06:00:46 PM »
The Classics, Tablets, and Conical Fulls are the only Formula 4 wheels readily available. While from what I hear the Radial Slims are the best, they can never be found anywhere so basically they don't even exist. Out of the three readily available wheels from the F4 lineup, what is your favorite and why?

My background: I've skated a few pairs of Classics, 1 pair of Conical Fulls and never ridden the Tablets. The Classics make flip tricks a bit easier but have zero lock in which sucks because they just want to roll off of ledges and the Conical Fulls cruise great but they make tricks harder. I'm thinking the Tablets will be a good middleground between the two. Thoughts on this?

ugly flacko

• Rep: 12
Re: Spitfire Formula 4 Classics vs Tablets vs Conical Fulls?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2022, 07:06:36 AM »
To me it feels like the tablets are kinda similar to the conical ones (not full). So great for locking in and for tricks, but doesn't feel as good as conical full when it comes to going fast or cruising.

IpathCats

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2022, 07:20:30 AM »
Radials are the most "middle ground" wheel between all these. Radial slims have a small contact patch so they don't "cruise" as great as wheels with a wider patch. Foy skates the radials and conical fulls interchangeably, they both lock in nicely.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2022, 08:21:34 AM »
I enjoy regular conicals. But out of the 3 listed. Classics a size or 2 bigger than what I want.

Knee Pain

• Rep: 42
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2022, 08:28:52 AM »
I’ve tried all 3 and prefer the classics over conicals and tablets.

The main differences I’ve noticed are flip tricks are easier and I catch them higher with the slightly lighter classics.

I do agree the lock in is not as good as a conical, but slappies work just as well, if not better once I adjusted to the new shape. Admittedly my ledge tricks are fairly limited… and rail tricks non existent   :D

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 611
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2022, 10:48:46 AM »
I was on 54 Classics for 15 years and got some regular Conicals in 52 a few months ago. Such an improvement, especially for crusty ground and locking in on ledges/curbs. Took me a few sessions to get used to them but now I love them. Regular Radials are also very nice, I just never saw them smaller as 54mm.

I would like to ride some Conical Fulls in 50mm, I think that would be rad.
IG: @flowterspace

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1111
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2022, 12:01:49 PM »
I was on 54 Classics for 15 years and got some regular Conicals in 52 a few months ago. Such an improvement, especially for crusty ground and locking in on ledges/curbs. Took me a few sessions to get used to them but now I love them. Regular Radials are also very nice, I just never saw them smaller as 54mm.

I would like to ride some Conical Fulls in 50mm, I think that would be rad.

I would like a wide 50.
I’ve noticed that there are not wheels smaller than 52 in the last few spitfire catalogs

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 359
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2022, 12:14:07 PM »
Spitfire formula four conical full's are the only skateboard wheel that exists as far as I am concerned.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2022, 12:22:28 PM »
Spitfire formula four conical full's are the only skateboard wheel that exists as far as I am concerned.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2022, 12:41:45 PM »
I honestly do not understand how people can ride conny fulls on street. Shit is turbo-klunk. To the OP, I feel like tablets give your ride a really "square edged" feel, and I find them wonky on flip tricks, and things like feeble/smith grinds. They do, however, lock-in nice on 50/50s, etc. Conicals (the regular ones) are like a good middle ground between tablets and classics (radials/radial slim are the best middle ground, but god knows when we'll see those again).
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

skatebruh

• Rep: 30
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2022, 02:28:18 PM »
I ride 54mm Conical Fulls with 8" trucks and 8.25-8.5" decks for street. The narrow trucks help with flip tricks and the wide wheels really help with crusty spots.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2022, 02:51:42 PM »
Tablets seem to be very durable also at least in 55mms I have had. 55mm Tablets and 55mm OG Classics are very similar in shape, except for the sidecuts. I like them for parks and mashing through stuff but as others have said they aren't so great for flip tricks.

Classics are great for flip tricks but wear down way quicker than squarer wheels with a wider contact patch and don't smash through rough terrain as well.

I like taking 58mm classics and using them for transition and then when they are about 55mm I put them on a street set up and I'll take them down to about 52mm. I had one set of 58s that I wore down to about 48mm. Just kept feeling great. The way the classics get wider as they get shorter works really well.

All to say, I'll ride bigger wheels in a classic shape b/c I love the way they wear down and smaller wheels in a squarer shape, mostly the OG classic or a Classic Wide when you can find them.

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 310
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2022, 03:14:22 PM »
i like radials and the og classics shape way more than tablets if you're looking for a wheel with a wider contact patch. I also like skating the classic shape too, but the radials and og classics are more forgiving on rough ground. Tablets are cool if you prefer a thin wheel with a wide contact patch, but the shape isn't very aesthetically pleasing to the eye compared to the other shapes I mentioned.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 721
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2022, 05:40:59 PM »
Tablets seem to be very durable also at least in 55mms I have had. 55mm Tablets and 55mm OG Classics are very similar in shape, except for the sidecuts. I like them for parks and mashing through stuff but as others have said they aren't so great for flip tricks.

Classics are great for flip tricks but wear down way quicker than squarer wheels with a wider contact patch and don't smash through rough terrain as well.

I like taking 58mm classics and using them for transition and then when they are about 55mm I put them on a street set up and I'll take them down to about 52mm. I had one set of 58s that I wore down to about 48mm. Just kept feeling great. The way the classics get wider as they get shorter works really well.

All to say, I'll ride bigger wheels in a classic shape b/c I love the way they wear down and smaller wheels in a squarer shape, mostly the OG classic or a Classic Wide when you can find them.

You kind of covered it, but with the OG Classics now being produced and widely available what function are the Tablets really serving at this point? The OG Classics are pretty squared off like the Tablets (basically a very similar shape that also locks in well) but the Tablets aren’t sidecut so they’re like a heavier OG classic.  Coming from someone who has an unskated set of 55 mm Tablets laying around I’m always curious what niche they’re filling in the current Spitfire lineup.  I’ll get around to trying them eventually.

Back to the original post - like other people have mentioned, Radials are definitely a great middleground wheel for all around performance IMO.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2022, 08:49:47 AM »
The Classics, Tablets, and Conical Fulls are the only Formula 4 wheels readily available. While from what I hear the Radial Slims are the best, they can never be found anywhere so basically they don't even exist. Out of the three readily available wheels from the F4 lineup, what is your favorite and why?

My background: I've skated a few pairs of Classics, 1 pair of Conical Fulls and never ridden the Tablets. The Classics make flip tricks a bit easier but have zero lock in which sucks because they just want to roll off of ledges and the Conical Fulls cruise great but they make tricks harder. I'm thinking the Tablets will be a good middleground between the two. Thoughts on this?

What sizes in those wheels have you had and what size are you looking at getting next?

Not that it is a big deal, as all of those get wider as they get bigger, but Conical Full wheels are probably the most common that I sell more of to street skaters nowdays, especially in the 53 and 54 mm sizes as people find they work well for everything, with the slightly more rounded edge to get over everything, but still lock in well.  Bigger than 54 mm and they start to get really wide and chunky, as said above, but the smaller sizes are still fairly normal all up.

Classic shapes in those sizes are just a little too small for me, like Frank & Fred, I like getting them in bigger sizes and wearing them down, so they last a lot longer and go through a couple of shapes on the same wheel, but I also know that is not sometimes what people want and will only get a size that they prefer, not something bigger to wear down to something smaller and have however long to do that.  The 53 to 54 or even 55 mm wheel in Classics are most common as all rounders, with fairly even numbers of them selling, but the interest is not just street with those wheels.

Tablets always just seem weird, with some people loving the total lock in feeling of them, but being so very squared off, they also catch a lot on anything that is not exactly square to grind on and can sometimes have more issues with the edges than other slightly more rounded wheels, but if lock in is what you want, try a set and see how they go for you.  Tablets are the thinnest profile of all those for the same diameter so if thin is what you want, then they might be the win for you too.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Bongwater Mojito

• Rep: 56
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2022, 09:40:13 AM »
How about Classic Full? Familiar shape but bit more contact patch (+2mm at 52mm I think)

spacial_profiling

• Rep: -88
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2022, 10:35:27 AM »
How about Classic Full? Familiar shape but bit more contact patch (+2mm at 52mm I think)

Goldilocks wheel, shhhh

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2022, 08:14:01 PM »

They are by far my favourite shape, but in terms of availability, they come and go, which for most people who haven't stocked up on lots when they are around, it is a pain for them and it kind of sucks when they go looking for more and there aren't any.

As others have said and I have done many times, wearing down normal Classics from 54, 55 or 56 means I get pretty much the perfect size and shape when they are between 52 and 54 mm, but I run a few boards, different purposes with different size wheels, as well as have trade in deals going on with others I know who do ride bigger Classic wheels too.

I even know one guy who has a lathe and wears down brand new bigger wheels just to get that effect, but I wouldn't go that far with what I have, as well as having a lot of Classic Full wheels still.

If you like them, get as many of them as you can.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.