Author Topic: Indy Forged Hollow Stg 11 vs. Venture V Lights?  (Read 2442 times)

FUBAR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 231
Indy Forged Hollow Stg 11 vs. Venture V Lights?
« on: July 08, 2022, 02:47:04 AM »
I’ve been skating V lights (5.8) for a while. I like them. BUT…is there something better out there? I have been looking at the Indy Forged Hollows (149s) as my next truck. I’d like to ask for Slap’s help, because I have no friends in real life.
Me- heavy, mid-40s dude who is pretty bad at skating. (But hey, I have fun.) I skate a lot of curbs…so lots of grinds. I like everything about the Ventures besides the grind…I feel it could be better. I do flip my board and stuff, so I like my trucks to be “light”…fully realizing it may all be in my head. All signs point to Indy having a better grind.
So what is your opinion? Keep my Ventures or try the Indies? Why?
We don’t need to go down the rabbit hole of bushings…I have that covered. I think.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
Re: Indy Forged Hollow Stg 11 vs. Venture V Lights?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2022, 03:05:36 AM »
Well indys are very very different from ventures, completely different turn and especially pop feel.
Have you thought about trying thunders? Those are more similar to ventures, but the grind is closer to an indy.

One important thing I've found by going through all this bullshit: The best trucks are the ones you are used to. Everything else wont be as good or better until you spend a lot of time on it.

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2022, 03:59:23 AM »
I prefer Ventures but if you want to try something different then you should try something different. It's all part of the journey to maximize the amount of fun we have with the time we have.

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2022, 04:02:18 AM »
I've skated Ventures (hollows), Indy (forged), and Thunder (very early in my skate career) and i can assure you I have never once noticed a huge difference between my trucks. But i also suck so that might be the reason why.

I actually plan on going to some forged thunders to get the lightest possible setup in the near future.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 09:21:32 AM by in love w/ fs shuvs »

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2022, 04:19:51 AM »
It’s all basically the same shit.  Just go with whatever gives you the most pleasing placebo effect and helps you cosplay as your favorite pro  :-*.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2022, 04:57:54 AM »
I personally feel like it's a little hypocritical to say all trucks are the same for a SLAP regular. Ever tried Krux? These fucking suck, so no, not all trucks are the same. You can make any truck work though, obviously. A diffefent truck won't magically make you 10X better at skating, but finding what works best for you is part of the fun, and why us nerds spend so much time here.

I would say that the trucks you are most used to are always going to be best though. If your Ventures are still in one piece, I would keep skating that. Breaking in new trucks fucking sucks. It's true that Ventures (for me at least) don't have the best grind compared to Indys, so there's that. They excel at other things though, like pinch and kingpin clearance.

If you really feel like trying Indys, go for it. But know that the madness is real, once you go down the rabbit hole of switching your shit and overthinking things, it can be a never ending cycle. You will find things you like better about Indy, and other things you like better about Venture, and then might want to try other brands, sizes, forged/cast, and every other possible configuration in an attempt to find the perfect truck.

In short: if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2022, 05:55:01 AM »
I've tried them all and they're not all the same in the end. Id honestly say just try the non v light Ventures first. They will be slightly heavier and move the wheels slightly in but not be a huge difference. Then run them flat top washer since it opens up the end of the turn more. Most people compare them to a more stable, heavier popping Indy. Then from there I'd try Indy Forged Hollow, followed by Indy standards.

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2022, 06:01:14 AM »
I've tried them all and they're not all the same in the end. Id honestly say just try the non v light Ventures first. They will be slightly heavier and move the wheels slightly in but not be a huge difference. Then run them flat top washer since it opens up the end of the turn more. Most people compare them to a more stable, heavier popping Indy. Then from there I'd try Indy Forged Hollow, followed by Indy standards.

I've skated all of these trucks and this is pretty true actually. I didn't really notice a difference in weight between Ventures n forged Indy's. Ventures feel like a heavier grind tho.

@Wizard0f0dds krux? who? what? never heard of em.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2022, 06:24:39 AM »
They are very different but you will get used to it and not be grossly disappointed….if you are a normal person… chances are you are not if you are here….

The weight difference you will get used to, the turn you will actually grow to like, and yes they will grind better.  I think though I notice venture poor grind the most on metal to metal. 

I’d say do it…

LebowskisRug

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2022, 06:38:32 AM »
Indy are the standard for a reason. They're like a Honda Accord. They can be nicer than a Civic, pretty dope these days, but they won't get you excited.

Someone will always convince you that you need the Subaru WRX, which is a Venture. It's more nimble and you can accelerate from stoplights faster, but it otherwise drives harsh and you won't use the extras it was designed for.

Thunders are like a Nissan Altima or maybe one of those nice Kia- they're they're own different standard but accomplish the same thing as Indy for the most part in being a reliable classic for a shit ton of people.

Ace are maybe a Ford Fusion. A take on the classic commuter whip that is like an Accord, but perhaps a bit more optimized for a specific niche of commuters and an overall smaller package with better acceleration.

Royals are basically a Hyundai- they used to be budget garbage but these days you see them and confuse them for a nicer Accord or Altima.

Krux are basically the Subaru Brat- a complete novelty that Kinda doesn't make sense and they have a very tiny niche of cult followers.

IpathCats

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2022, 06:56:51 AM »
Indy are the standard for a reason. They're like a Honda Accord. They can be nicer than a Civic, pretty dope these days, but they won't get you excited.

Someone will always convince you that you need the Subaru WRX, which is a Venture. It's more nimble and you can accelerate from stoplights faster, but it otherwise drives harsh and you won't use the extras it was designed for.

Thunders are like a Nissan Altima or maybe one of those nice Kia- they're they're own different standard but accomplish the same thing as Indy for the most part in being a reliable classic for a shit ton of people.

Ace are maybe a Ford Fusion. A take on the classic commuter whip that is like an Accord, but perhaps a bit more optimized for a specific niche of commuters and an overall smaller package with better acceleration.

Royals are basically a Hyundai- they used to be budget garbage but these days you see them and confuse them for a nicer Accord or Altima.

Krux are basically the Subaru Brat- a complete novelty that Kinda doesn't make sense and they have a very tiny niche of cult followers.

as a car guy i like this game

Indy: Toyota Tacoma - go anywhere, do anything, super reliable.

Venture: Dodge Challenger scat pack - stable at high speeds, sucks at cornering, specific use case.

Thunder: Mazda Miata - Light, nimble, a little more squirrelly at high speed but suits most applications well.

Ace: Subaru Forester - similar to indy, "does it all", but has a tighter turn radius, slightly less reliable (QC issues).

Royal: Hyundai elantra N - like you said, used to be considered crap, now is good, everyone is sleeping on it.

Krux: Nissan Murano Cabriolet - Stupid useless pieces of crap that people should be embarrassed to own.

IpathCats

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2022, 06:59:53 AM »
I’ve been skating V lights (5.8) for a while. I like them. BUT…is there something better out there? I have been looking at the Indy Forged Hollows (149s) as my next truck. I’d like to ask for Slap’s help, because I have no friends in real life.
Me- heavy, mid-40s dude who is pretty bad at skating. (But hey, I have fun.) I skate a lot of curbs…so lots of grinds. I like everything about the Ventures besides the grind…I feel it could be better. I do flip my board and stuff, so I like my trucks to be “light”…fully realizing it may all be in my head. All signs point to Indy having a better grind.
We don’t need to go down the rabbit hole of bushings…I have that covered. I think.

If you enjoy the way your ventures ride and you're not itching for a deeper/surfier turn, i would just stick with them and carry wax with you.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2022, 08:03:25 AM »
Well indys are very very different from ventures, completely different turn and especially pop feel.
Have you thought about trying thunders? Those are more similar to ventures, but the grind is closer to an indy.

One important thing I've found by going through all this bullshit: The best trucks are the ones you are used to. Everything else wont be as good or better until you spend a lot of time on it.

^ This. There is no question that Indys have a better feeling grind, provided of course, that you like the feeling of an Indy grind (most prefer it to Venture). An Indy Ti and Thunder Team weight about the same, so not too much difference there. Thunders *do* grind closer to an Indy, but ride closer to Venture...but stock Thunder bushing suck, and there is that whole Thunder "base plate problem" which may or may not be an issue for you. IMHO, forged indys are the best all-purpose truck ever made.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2022, 09:13:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If you enjoy the way your ventures ride and you're not itching for a deeper/surfier turn, i would just stick with them and carry wax with you.

Best suggestion so far.

OP is looking for a better grind and lightweight, mentioned nothing about issues with turning.

1) More wax
2) Thunder Hollow Lights/Titanium lights
3) Tensor ATG Maglights
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 09:27:44 AM by Xen »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2022, 02:42:12 PM »
Mid 40’s….not good at skating?  Scratch that itch boy…..it all matters….

Shit….I’m not mid 40’s….what happened?

FUBAR

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2022, 03:12:39 PM »
Ive tried Mag Lights. Bent em.
Skated the hell out of Thunder TIs. They were okay.
I will skate these Ventures into dust then see whats up. I do agree…breaking in new trucks, no matter the brand, SUCKS! Comparing trucks to cars was rad. You guys are dope.
And yeah, I kind of don’t care about the turn. I skate slow.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2022, 03:38:20 PM »
You're going to have to learn to skate faster or ya, maybe you'll want an Indy or Ace to grind marginally further. The Venture grind just isn't good, but you can compensate with speed and wax fine.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2022, 04:49:53 PM »
I’d like to ask for Slap’s help, because I have no friends in real life.

You're not alone brotha :)

I agree that if you're not unhappy with the turning, keep on with the ventures. I've noticed that switching to Ventures takes a bit of time for me to adjust to and I assume the opposite is true, so why bother with the headache? You're on lights so maybe go to the v hollows as that will save you some additional weight and cop a brick of wax.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2022, 05:17:33 PM »
Is there really that much of a difference in grind? I went from Indy’s to ventures in 92-96 then back to Indy’s and never noticed that Ventures didn’t grind as well. Im seriously asking.

jimgrude

• Rep: 66
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2022, 05:24:33 PM »
If you want a light truck that grinds like a dream, you should give the Tensor Maglights a go.

Their new geometry turns great (much better than Venture) and nothing beats magnesium in terms of grind feel. Off course, they aren't the most durable so it's a bit of a risk if you're a heavier dude, but I'd say it's worth trying them at least once.

I have the widest ones available (5.75) on a crust setup, and I haven't had any bending so far after tons of slappies and bashing them around.

Just a heads up: If you buy them now, you're likely to get a set with alloy baseplates in stead of magnesium, but that will actually just make them more durable and better for flip tricks. The full magnesium ones are also too light for some people.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2022, 06:23:25 PM »
Is there really that much of a difference in grind? I went from Indy’s to ventures in 92-96 then back to Indy’s and never noticed that Ventures didn’t grind as well. Im seriously asking.

'Always on the Grind'   =D

They grind fine, it's just a harder feeling grind (maybe due to hanger shape and angle).

If you want a light truck that grinds like a dream, you should give the Tensor Maglights a go.

Their new geometry turns great (much better than Venture) and nothing beats magnesium in terms of grind feel. Off course, they aren't the most durable so it's a bit of a risk if you're a heavier dude, but I'd say it's worth trying them at least once.

I have the widest ones available (5.75) on a crust setup, and I haven't had any bending so far after tons of slappies and bashing them around.

Just a heads up: If you buy them now, you're likely to get a set with alloy baseplates in stead of magnesium, but that will actually just make them more durable and better for flip tricks. The full magnesium ones are also too light for some people.

I've 3 sets 8/8.25/8.5 - none have any bending issues (very light hucking, lots of slappy time, transition); I'm 185lbs. Nothing beats their ease of griding 'anything' - on well worn in curbs compared to say a worn in indy, at speed, you'll feel little difference but you grind farther on the ATGs with the same amount of speed. On sticky curbs where other trucks stop, the ATGs keep on...truckin'
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 06:31:17 PM by Xen »

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2022, 07:19:32 PM »
Nothing on earth can pull me away from venture. Except sub Zero weather. Then I’m on the ace classic.

I’ve skated every truck worth riding and some not since the 80s.

I started on Indy 4.

Current 5.6
And th ace classic any size are the best trucks I’ve ever had
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

FUBAR

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2022, 07:38:44 PM »
You're going to have to learn to skate faster
Workin on it. I have a huge brick of wax, too.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2022, 08:21:56 PM »
Expand Quote
You're going to have to learn to skate faster
[close]
Workin on it. I have a huge brick of wax, too.

+ Big Wheels!

I switched to 54mm coming off 50mm = speed gains / longer session due to less pushing at mach speed

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2022, 02:56:52 AM »

Among other things, I am curious which bushings you do use - specific aftermarket bushings or stock?

Or any other thing you do with your trucks that change them from stock normal?

I like the solid feel and grind on Indy, so the forged baseplate, hollow hanger could be the best option for that for you, with the same bushings you usually use, which would keep the trucks a little more on par for you.  Stock are both 90 duro, but Indy trucks do turn a bit more quickly than Ventures, in any variation.

Edit: 

Went back through and saw what look like Bones hards on your Ventures, so they would still work well on Indy too.

I have almost the same, at least one exactly the same board looking back over your previous setups too, which work well on the Indy standards I like to ride, so smaller wheels and forged hollow Indy trucks would also work well.

Just an observation and still completely up to you, as Venture are a good stable truck for most things too.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2022, 03:18:39 AM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

FUBAR

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2022, 02:15:51 PM »
Yeah Bones hards on the bottom and something a little softer up top. I was on stock venture top bushing but then they suddenly exploded. Now Im doing Krux top bushings.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2022, 03:10:40 PM »
Might be kind of a pain in the ass, but I recently started riding bones hards and while breaking them in sucks, once you do they're definitely a treat imo. I'm heavy for my height (5'5", 165lbs) and found the standard venture bushings fall apart way too quickly. I'd definitely recommend trying the bones hards in Ventures and giving them time to break in. I usually keep a smaller "trick" board when I feel like hitting some flips and it was pretty noticable going from the squashed venture bushings to bones hards. After they broke in, way more stable and I didn't notice too much loss of turn. Just food for thought.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2022, 09:54:33 AM »
@FUBAR I think with trucks it's all about your personal preference but I will say that when I finally started riding Indys I was pretty pissed that I hadn't tried them much earlier. Full disclosure- I've got glass ankles and I generally can't roll away from most tricks without a lil surfy turn to help me compensate. Good luck on your quest <3

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2022, 01:19:30 PM »
Might be kind of a pain in the ass, but I recently started riding bones hards and while breaking them in sucks, once you do they're definitely a treat imo. I'm heavy for my height (5'5", 165lbs) and found the standard venture bushings fall apart way too quickly. I'd definitely recommend trying the bones hards in Ventures and giving them time to break in. I usually keep a smaller "trick" board when I feel like hitting some flips and it was pretty noticable going from the squashed venture bushings to bones hards. After they broke in, way more stable and I didn't notice too much loss of turn. Just food for thought.

Breaking in bones hards is easily the worst thing to break in in skating, it takes sooooo loooooong. I've done it once (in old ACE lows, back when I was around 165lbs or so). Dunno why they worked so well in a 'turny' truck for someone that usually rides loose, but they did.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 04:00:56 PM by Xen »