Author Topic: This is How Tom Asta Became One of the Best Skateboarders Alive: True Grit  (Read 3909 times)

El Freegano

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 217

This had been released a couple of days ago but i haven't seen it on the forum. It is a good documentary about Tom.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 07:21:21 AM by El Freegano »

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
  • I cut my grip with Occam's razor
hard working family man and loving father. I back it.

douchenozzle

• Rep: 32
  • "I am the party"-DLR
I witnessed him skate in person a couple of times and it’s fucking criminal that he isn’t mentioned as one of the best skaters out there. Also it’s true about his personality, he’s very quiet and looks serious skating, but he really is a good dude

Dead to Me

• Rep: 74
I witnessed him skate in person a couple of times and it’s fucking criminal that he isn’t mentioned as one of the best skaters out there. Also it’s true about his personality, he’s very quiet and looks serious skating, but he really is a good dude
Checks out with what Walker Ryan mentioned in last podcast episode that Tom Asta would be unusually chill when battling a trick and never freaks out

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Expand Quote
[close]
Checks out with what Walker Ryan mentioned in last podcast episode that Tom Asta would be unusually chill when battling a trick and never freaks out
That's actually kinda creepy. Battleing a trick for hours and just shrugging it off.

It can be embarrasing for sure, but I scream a lot when I skate.

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295

multiple days of trying to flatground manual the whole park & screaming out racial epithets when you scrape

thats a sport/battle

backside_reacharound

• Rep: -215

I think if he did every trick 1-2 pushes faster he would be.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1570
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
That's actually kinda creepy. Battleing a trick for hours and just shrugging it off.

[close]

I think thats probably a sign that he has control over his emotions, which is a sign of intellect, imo.

Every new scream only deeper anchors one into the mindset that they probably really can't do whatever it is they're trying, too. It's not just an outburst and outlet, it's also self-imposed sensorial stimulus that resonates and conditions you to the present situation, the miss, and encourages you to repeat it over and over. That's actually contagious, too and why people who throw tantrums can really ruin the vibe on a group session.

There's this one older friend of mine who asked me to help with filming a few clips of him last year, dude takes every missed trick attempt personally and bases his entire self-worth on how well he's skating that day and yadda yadda, you see the type. Because of his midlife crisis and constant tantrums he will ruin someone's day though, so I told him I'd film but only if he never freaked out and stayed focused, otherwise I'd just walk up and leave. Honestly I thought he would never manage and fail as soon as day one, but he actually pulled it off and did pretty well until he was done with his thing after maybe a couple of weeks, although needing some coaching at times. But the whole time his consistency actually skyrocketed, and he instantly started really surprising himself with how little he now had to battle for his clips. Basically trying to make him realize how one really is in control until they let themselves be distracted (including by themselves). What's pretty cool is since he ties his skating to his self-worth so much like I was saying, I feel like what really was such humble experience and perspective allowed him to extinguish a lot of existential anguish, as a person he's been a lot more chill to everyone ever since.

Am halfway through the doc, Tom seems like a genuinely nice person with some pretty fantastic parents. There's something special and cool about seeing really just about anyone on the spots they grew up learning how to skate, too.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 05:51:34 AM by silhouette »

Beeda Weeda

I found that I was my best at skating when I was emotional during the battle for a trick, wen I no longer cared anymore, I had more fun, but my skills diminished.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1570
I found that I was my best at skating when I was emotional during the battle for a trick, wen I no longer cared anymore, I had more fun, but my skills diminished.

I think there's caring and projecting, in a sense the only way to make a trick actually is to care about literally nothing but the trick if anything for as long as at least one application (but then it becomes something you can pursue learning how to reproduce consistently to the point of muscle memory if so you wish). But projecting over trying the trick whilst trying the trick can distract one with different, deeper concerns of theirs that are generally tied to personal failure and that just leads into a downwards spiral and negative mindset; also tends to shove one into the 'I'm trying this trick' zone from the 'I'm doing this trick' zone. Battling a trick is fun because you're pushing yourself in one specific way but it should never get to the point where one feels like it's going to either validate or invalidate their entire existence whether or not they make it that day, especially considering that's always progress and it just hasn't materialized in the desired form yet. But I'm also convinced that a lot of times, we subconsciously find the process of trying a trick much more exciting than actually making it on command and so will limit ourselves to certain definitions that we allow. Would explain at least in part a lot of funny behaviors you can observe in skating, for instance why so many skaters choose to bail attempts on certain tricks until a camera is out and then just decide to make it. There also may be a lot of pseudo-taboo, micro-concepts most skaters barely ever bother articulating but I think exist, such as tricks that feel better getting into than riding out of, in situ factors including the required physical effort making a trick on a particular attempt constitutes vs. bailing and blah blah blah.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
I feel like shitty edits is the only thing that held Tom back. the music in that video sucked!!  Santa Cruz needs to step their game up for this video they are working on.

Seeing all his clips together like that was so dope becasue i felt like his footage was very scattered here and there but i always knew he was super top level. Switch heel and sw fs heel down love park, got really good lines on the ledges there too, also good shit on that blue kevin taylor / pappalardo philly ledge, pyramid ledges.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1072
Tom Asta, went from who fuck this kid, ruining my chris cole part, to one of my favorite skaters. Seeing him in person definitely put him over the top for me.

Solid dude, and seems like a solid adult.

MadeYouLook

• Rep: 22
I feel like shitty edits is the only thing that held Tom back. the music in that video sucked!!  Santa Cruz needs to step their game up for this video they are working on.

Seeing all his clips together like that was so dope becasue i felt like his footage was very scattered here and there but i always knew he was super top level. Switch heel and sw fs heel down love park, got really good lines on the ledges there too, also good shit on that blue kevin taylor / pappalardo philly ledge, pyramid ledges.

Nothing against Tom, but that thumbnail design makes me not even want to watch the video.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
its funny how jamie said "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" you would think he had the brains to see like man, Tom is so damn professional and keeps it together despite stuff going on in his personal life. I agree with what others have said and I think this is something we should all strive towards. One of the best street fighter players I ever met was very calm and still, and had very controlled breathing. a lot of guys cant help but mash the buttons while waiting for the loading screen, but not Riceta. He would just chill, not make a single movement and wait patiently for the round to start.

I think Jamie means the really outrageous personalities stand out more but that was JAMIE's job to portray Tom as a top performing, well rounded, hard working, honest professional in the correct light. He tries so often to shoehorn dudes into fitting HIS style and does not let them do their own thing enough (seems like he is moreso now) he did not realize the opportunity he had to not only make himself more money but really launch Tom's career into the next level.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 968
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
Asta is sick. I feel mirrored lines big time.

I feel like asta vs ishod for current world’s best is a healthy debate.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
  • Did someone say sassy?
'True Grit' would've been an excellent name for a Mob Grip profile series. SC should've tied theirs in with 'Till The End' instead: 'Tom Asta From The Beginning.'

OwlGreen

• Rep: -126
What the fuck is that for a video title? Tom must be fucking pissed. Andrew Cannon, steadily ruining skateboarding. Dude's got the anti-Midas touch. 

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 167
What the fuck is that for a video title? Tom must be fucking pissed. Andrew Cannon, steadily ruining skateboarding. Dude's got the anti-Midas touch.

Yeah its on the level of a Berra title, maybe worse

Beeda Weeda

its hard not to back this guy.

thebacker

it's ishod 11/10 times

Gbeerme

• Rep: -4
i'm just trying to figure out what brand his cargos are.  Anyone know?

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
Rothco

Gbeerme

• Rep: -4
Expand Quote
[close]
Rothco
A big thanks to you ldk ! 

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
SC really lucked out with Asta especially during their late 2000s phase. His match with Luan was one of the few bright spots in BATB12.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

dannyprovolone

Expand Quote

[close]

it's ishod 11/10 times

asta murdered philly/nj spots harder

sw front heel love gap

nollie heel back noseblunt the rail in trenton

low key one of best to ever do it

Craig Lutzka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 294
Expand Quote

[close]

it's ishod 11/10 times
X park has produced some pretty elite talent.

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -457
  • Objectivity police
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

it's ishod 11/10 times
[close]

sw front heel love gap

Wait Nollie heel back noseblunt a handrail?

Andrew Cannon seems like a good guy but also like if he was 10 years younger he’d be a YouTube skate personality

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

dannyprovolone

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

it's ishod 11/10 times
[close]

sw front heel love gap

[close]

Andrew Cannon seems like a good guy but also like if he was 10 years younger he’d be a YouTube skate personality

https://youtu.be/1lmDCrnYxio?t=2042

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -457
  • Objectivity police
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

it's ishod 11/10 times
[close]

sw front heel love gap

[close]

[close]

https://youtu.be/1lmDCrnYxio?t=2042
holy shit. That is one of the best handrail tricks of all time for sure.

Documentary was really enjoyable. Tom seems like a great guy, and I hope with his more tech style of skating now he can have at least a decade more for his career

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
cant believe they didnt put THAT in the documentary! What the fuck!