Author Topic: GX1000- Right Here For Pablo  (Read 41873 times)

Local skater

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -29
Re: GX1000- Right Here For Pablo
« Reply #210 on: August 19, 2022, 08:13:31 PM »
No mention of garshell in the filmers credits , ?

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 407
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #211 on: August 19, 2022, 08:28:33 PM »

The speed this crew skates at is... It's almost incomprehensible. Props to the filmers and multiple angles. And the entire crew trying to keep each other safe. Seriously, one rock. One little crack in the pavement that knocks you off balance... I'm surprised these guys haven't had more trauma.

The GX crew only skates Powell Dragon™ wheels so they don't have to worry about cracks.

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #212 on: August 19, 2022, 08:30:00 PM »
chris fucking athans

Johnny $witchblade

• Rep: -87
« Reply #213 on: August 19, 2022, 11:41:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Was that Sean Greene riding off into the sunset ? Cause that was a great way to end it . Cernicky went hard ! Also I noticed in the camera operator list Ryan garshell was missing.
[close]

Pablo

Shit thanks dude hell that's even cooler!

dilbert1

• Rep: 143

CHAZMuska

• Rep: 10
« Reply #215 on: August 20, 2022, 12:03:05 AM »
who's the guy bombing at 39:41?

Pappy Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #216 on: August 20, 2022, 12:03:39 AM »

ApesPissed

• Rep: 60
« Reply #217 on: August 20, 2022, 12:19:10 AM »
My goodness. Those tricks. Those slams. Too much good shit.

Tuna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #218 on: August 20, 2022, 12:26:34 AM »
who's the guy bombing at 39:41?

Andrew Fiene

JRF

• Rep: 145
« Reply #219 on: August 20, 2022, 12:33:38 AM »
That tan color handrail to hill bomb at the end of the video that three different dudes do tricks on (bs feeble, frontside nosegrind and backside lipslide) is un-skateable… I’ve seen that shit in person and it’s gotta be the scariest handrail I’ve ever seen.
//////////

MysticalTypeExperience

• Rep: 128
« Reply #220 on: August 20, 2022, 05:22:49 AM »
That might be the gnarliest, most insane, heart-attack-inducing display of skateboarding ever covered.

I couldn't picture them ever topping Roll Up.

I think this might be better.

The GX crew has literally turned the city of San Fransisco into a skatepark. If you've never been to SF go. I'm 34 and I wouldn't dream of even trying to bomb some of the hills these guys are pulling lines down.

The speed this crew skates at is... It's almost incomprehensible. Props to the filmers and multiple angles. And the entire crew trying to keep each other safe. Seriously, one rock. One little crack in the pavement that knocks you off balance... I'm surprised these guys haven't had more trauma.

I know GX has faced its fair share of controversy and tragedy. Props for the skaters that are still rolling. And trying to be better. 

But yeah, I don't think we've witnessed something this groundbreakingly "gnarly" since D Way's mega ramp stunts in the DC video some 20-odd years ago. That's sorta what this feels like. Stuff that like so few pros can even comprehend trying, these skaters pull off. 

My jaw is on the collective floor during that last handrail session. Those might be some of the most high-consequence rail + ride-out tricks ever done.

I have the fullest respect for a wide range of skateboarding, styles, spot selections and trickery of all types. But this video is just fucking insanity.

Props GX. RIP Pablo.

+1

I couldn't have articulated it any better

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 473
« Reply #221 on: August 20, 2022, 05:43:02 AM »
Another masterpiece. I honestly think that Roll Up and this one are the my favourite skate videos of all time. Everything comes together so beautifully: some of the gnarliest stunts ever pulled, the most insane spots ever skated, lots of well executed simple tricks and a lot of unbelievably hard ones, the time taken in the edit for rollups and rollaways and appreciating the spots and the city and the skaters emotions before and after the trick, the relatively slow music that contrast with the speed of the hill bombs, the way the edit conveys that skating is about having fun (and/or risking your neck) with a group of friends and not about individuals. Sorry Emerica but this is skateboarding.

assvogel

• Rep: 213
« Reply #222 on: August 20, 2022, 06:15:18 AM »
Constant barrage of gnarly tricks on gnarly spots with even gnarlier slams. Sick!

Big fan of Jeff Garlyle!!

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1114
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #223 on: August 20, 2022, 07:32:39 AM »
Expand Quote
this is gonna get 2+ million views and all these skaters are still gonna be paying their rent from selling product on depop
[close]

100%. Skaters need to unionize across the industry.

And when any skaters are in the position to start a company, start a Worker's COOP to make sure that money is always going to the people putting their bodies on the line.

I know there's not a ton of money in skateboarding overall, but there is clearly enough to be siphoned out of the community with Nike, Adidas, New Balance, Cariuma all investing so much in positioning their straw in the cup.

More broadly, there's also so many companies that are apart of giant conglomerates that are making people at the top rich off of the passion farming of everyone lower on the totem pole. Unionization is a way to fight back against that, and if the Workers COOP is formed with the right legal designations, it can prevent the company from ever being corrupted by that influence, even after the original founders move on.

You guys are speculating on things you have no idea about, you really think Thrasher doesn’t break them off for the YouTube payout? And they have a brand they are trying to build, putting a gx vid on Thrashers YouTube would do so much more than on their own personal that would have way less subscribers and visibility.
Stop assuming you know how shit works. Thrasher has done multiple GX collabs and supports SF skating pretty hard.

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -626
  • who knows
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #224 on: August 20, 2022, 07:38:00 AM »
some super sick shit.  most of it filmed pretty well, though some of the non hill bomb stuff got got kind of blown due to all you seeing is feet.

a lot of this was truly death defying, not exactly sure its a good thing.  if  didnt skate andsome sketchy dude put his hands up in the middle street trying to stop im going around.  maybe im getting old but unless they got permission fucking up some peoples actual house/porch is pretty lame
where is home?

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 319
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #225 on: August 20, 2022, 08:03:27 AM »
Man….aside from the footage, you can get some serious photos from all this stuff. Amazing video.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

somedudefromnj

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #226 on: August 20, 2022, 08:11:26 AM »
That might be the gnarliest, most insane, heart-attack-inducing display of skateboarding ever covered.

I couldn't picture them ever topping Roll Up.

I think this might be better.

The GX crew has literally turned the city of San Fransisco into a skatepark. If you've never been to SF go. I'm 34 and I wouldn't dream of even trying to bomb some of the hills these guys are pulling lines down.

I know GX has faced its fair share of controversy and tragedy. Props for the skaters that are still rolling. And trying to be better. 

But yeah, I don't think we've witnessed something this groundbreakingly "gnarly" since D Way's mega ramp stunts in the DC video some 20-odd years ago. That's sorta what this feels like. Stuff that like so few pros can even comprehend trying, these skaters pull off. 

My jaw is on the collective floor during that last handrail session. Those might be some of the most high-consequence rail + ride-out tricks ever done.

I have the fullest respect for a wide range of skateboarding, styles, spot selections and trickery of all types. But this video is just fucking insanity.

Props GX. RIP Pablo.

Couldn't help but notice how windy it was during that session too

Wild

Constant barrage of gnarly tricks on gnarly spots with even gnarlier slams. Sick!

Big fan of Jeff Garlyle!!

Also

some super sick shit.  most of it filmed pretty well, though some of the non hill bomb stuff got got kind of blown due to all you seeing is feet.

a lot of this was truly death defying, not exactly sure its a good thing.  if  didnt skate andsome sketchy dude put his hands up in the middle street trying to stop im going around.  maybe im getting old but unless they got permission fucking up some peoples actual house/porch is pretty lame

Was thinking about this while watching homie get wrecked by that cab and couldn't help but think they should probably wear some bright vests and hold those stop signs

Would look wack but fuck man it would help against people thinking like that

Also what was dudes name that got rocked? I'm a fan!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 08:21:55 AM by somedudefromnj »

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -392
« Reply #227 on: August 20, 2022, 09:09:00 AM »
easily some of the gnarliest skating i’ve seen.. you actually get scared 😱

Morning Jazz Radio

• Rep: 20
  • Have your coffee with some jazz!
« Reply #228 on: August 20, 2022, 09:34:13 AM »
I don't have the words to describe how incredible this video is.....I'm on my third watch. The hill bombing has this insane quality of big wave surfing; Absolutely terrifying but totally beautiful.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 375
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #229 on: August 20, 2022, 10:09:37 AM »
I got emotional watching Sean Greene’s switch hill bomb.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

yungthug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -31
« Reply #230 on: August 20, 2022, 10:28:35 AM »
These guys are skateboarding Vikings. Barbarians, savages, whatever you wanna call it. This is top tier skateboarding for the ages.

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -392
« Reply #231 on: August 20, 2022, 11:07:04 AM »
These guys are skateboarding Vikings. Barbarians, savages, whatever you wanna call it. This is top tier skateboarding for the ages.
what makes it so sick is you can't just duplicate those gnarly ass hill bombs either..switch ones are straight  physcho. The level of commitment is so fucked. Like I said you watch and get scared..pretty much wondering how the fuck..

DERBY

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 309
« Reply #232 on: August 20, 2022, 11:25:29 AM »
this was fucked. cheers to gx for this part n also cheers to em for the bbs drop

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #233 on: August 20, 2022, 11:28:25 AM »
this was fucked. cheers to gx for this part n also cheers to em for the bbs drop

has GX switched over to BBS wood finally?

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 187
« Reply #234 on: August 20, 2022, 11:40:15 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

has GX switched over to BBS wood finally?

Yes

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #235 on: August 20, 2022, 11:46:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
this is gonna get 2+ million views and all these skaters are still gonna be paying their rent from selling product on depop
[close]

100%. Skaters need to unionize across the industry.

And when any skaters are in the position to start a company, start a Worker's COOP to make sure that money is always going to the people putting their bodies on the line.

I know there's not a ton of money in skateboarding overall, but there is clearly enough to be siphoned out of the community with Nike, Adidas, New Balance, Cariuma all investing so much in positioning their straw in the cup.

More broadly, there's also so many companies that are apart of giant conglomerates that are making people at the top rich off of the passion farming of everyone lower on the totem pole. Unionization is a way to fight back against that, and if the Workers COOP is formed with the right legal designations, it can prevent the company from ever being corrupted by that influence, even after the original founders move on.
[close]

You guys are speculating on things you have no idea about, you really think Thrasher doesn’t break them off for the YouTube payout? And they have a brand they are trying to build, putting a gx vid on Thrashers YouTube would do so much more than on their own personal that would have way less subscribers and visibility.
Stop assuming you know how shit works. Thrasher has done multiple GX collabs and supports SF skating pretty hard.

Bro we have 4 decades of professional skateboarding. We know that aside from the owners on the top and the most marketable pros that there are MAJOR issues with how professional skateboarding handles labor issues. Skaters have been talking about this openly for decades, but are often too young and blinded by passion to realize the extent of it until after the fact.

In a country where one hospital visit can mean financial ruin, skaters are so often tossing themselves down shit without a healthcare plan provided by these profitable companies making money off of their physical risks. Worker COOPs solve that and make sure their priorities are in place.

Of course we are not aware of the very specific financial details of every individual in the GX1000 crew, no shit. That is besides the point. I'm talking about an industry wide issue. Not sure why you are acting like I'm attacking Thrasher when I clearly named the types of companies in my post. If you can't see the difference between outsider companies and Thrasher, you are lost.

But to say something like "think about the YouTube ad revenue" is wiiild. Bro like a million views on the average video get you $5,000 if you're lucky. How much money do you think the hospital visit cost
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
Every cent of that ad revenue can be gone in one hospital visit, even with a basic healthcare plan. Now realize it's not just one skater, it's a crew splitting that money after years of risk just for these clips.

Either way. Sick video, I've watched it twice. These guys are insane, and I hope they are getting taken care of financially for what they've just contributed to the culture and artform we love.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #236 on: August 20, 2022, 02:47:30 PM »
Who said Dela was in this? Didn't see him at all...

PlugSkullcandy

• Rep: 95
« Reply #237 on: August 20, 2022, 03:52:10 PM »
gnarly video…
Also the sound seemed a bit saturated so we could feel the roughness of the grounds and the pain of the wheels during those powerslides

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 187
« Reply #238 on: August 20, 2022, 04:10:57 PM »
Probably watched the opening sequence to Lee Oskar 5 times now.  What a timeless and amazing song choice.  Chris Athan’s wallrides and lines are the stuff of dreams

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #239 on: August 20, 2022, 05:01:12 PM »
gnarly video…
Also the sound seemed a bit saturated so we could feel the roughness of the grounds and the pain of the wheels during those powerslides

Yeah the sound was top notch. They used silence and/or lack of music very effectively.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.