Author Topic: UNWOUND  (Read 1143 times)

Huell Howser

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
UNWOUND
« on: July 12, 2022, 09:58:11 AM »
post punk/post hardcore/etc gods from the 90's Unwound are getting back together for some reunion shows throughout the US early next year. It probably won't be the same without Vern but I never thought I'd get the chance to see them live. I will most definitely be coppin a ticket!

https://www.brooklynvegan.com/unwound-reunite-first-tour-in-over-20-years-live-leaves-reissue-announced/

for the uninitiated, some bangers:
https://youtu.be/f1Bi7_Ra7JU
https://youtu.be/lBjz3Kta9ls
https://youtu.be/DvKaqmiNjhA
https://youtu.be/EvB7l9cZCww

tonitonne

Re: UNWOUND
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2022, 10:05:13 AM »
Sick at least there's 2 shows on the east coast

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2022, 10:38:41 AM »
surprised there isn't a thread already...cheers @Huell Howser ...lots of favorites, but i'll add these to the mix for now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aURQfWy1h1o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uclmv5e8xaM

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2022, 10:52:47 AM »
i love unwound, wish i could attend one of those shows.

RIP vern rumsey

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2022, 09:42:42 AM »
@tonitonne did you get tix?

@Deputy Wendell I was surprised there wasn't already a thread either! both those tracks are great. for your entertainment is such a bangin' ender. I wasn't familiar with that first instrumental track. I have jumped around a lot on their releases and didn't listen to them in correct order. I think I started with Repetition then moved to Leaves, then backtracked to Plastic Ideas and the future of what. Still have a lot to dig into which makes me stoked because my appreciation of them has only grown

@frank they're having the bassist from Karp join which is pretty rad. You gotta try to make it to one of the shows !

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1204
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2022, 10:00:56 AM »
Big Unwound fan, bummed that the odds of me making it to one of those shows is slim to none. I'd be interested to see if this leads to any new music. Those Numero reissues undoubtedly introduced them to a wave of new people.
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1276
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2022, 10:48:31 AM »
Another huge Unwound fan here. I saw their farewell tour and figured that'd be the last time I'd ever see them. Looking forward to seeing them again next year. I've "seen" them a few times (one time at the Fireside where they didn't set up on stage so I didn't see shit but the crowd) and on that last tour they were a 5 piece if memory serves. David Stone Scott handled the second guitar and keyboards. It's been really gratifying watching their profile grow over the last few years. I was worried they'd be sorta forgotten. RIP Vern
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-k77QrSVHA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHVyw-vAgdk
Maybe next Sara can go out for a Karp reunion tour!
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2022, 08:48:47 AM »
i love all the oddball tracks unwound put on their records, all the dubby shit and all that. or like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePX61LpF9fo

tonitonne

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2022, 09:49:35 AM »
If you guys had to pick a favorite album what would you say? I'd probably go with Fake Train.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2022, 10:31:14 AM »
If you guys had to pick a favorite album what would you say? I'd probably go with Fake Train.

i can't decide between the future of what, repetition and leaves cause i had phases thinking one of those was the best

tonitonne

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2022, 10:53:40 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i can't decide between the future of what, repetition and leaves cause i had phases thinking one of those was the best

Fuck repetition is so good. Definitely my other fave.

nevrwasben

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2022, 12:37:13 AM »
As far as faves go, I go back and forth between Repetition & New Plastic Ideas; both heavily sessioned.
Was very stoked on the idea of going to see them this go round, but can’t justify the cost; major bummer.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2022, 10:36:10 AM »
I love all the more raw albums too but I'm a big fan of when they started to stretch out and fool around with their arrangements and brought in different instruments. Consequently, Challenge for a Civilized Society is probably my favorite. My friend called it Beatlesesque at the time and now I can't unhear it. I also really like Leaves but it is a bit of a abrupt direction change and I wasn't surprised that fan reaction to it wasn't too hot when it came out.

Anybody get tickets for any of the LA shows? It felt weird dropping a bill to see them but I guess I missed out on general admission tickets yesterday so I had to buy a ticket in the pit. They deserve the money anyway.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2022, 01:23:36 PM »
@jakeumms I got tickets for the first LA date. Yeah, regarding the price it definitely feels weird dropping money like that but when I think about how much I've enjoyed they're tunes it sits fine with me hah

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2022, 11:14:09 AM »
funny, other than maybe the Cocteau Twins, i don't know if there is another band who has me so often thinking when listening to albums--and even if this is a fleeting emotion--that this might be my favorite song ever...does that make sense? case in point

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QQmhKvNz_k

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2022, 11:40:51 AM »
in re the conversation about trying to pick a favorite album--and i know this is an ever-changing thing--but i am definitely in the throes of a Fake Train episode this past couple of weeks...have had a lot going on emotionally and with family, and this album is doing it for me in a serious way throughout

also, hard to play "Kantina" (above) and not follow right into...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZuOXiDKjlw

HeavyAndExpensive

• Rep: 114
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2022, 03:07:54 PM »
Leaves Turn Inside You was always my jam, but isn’t that a big departure from their emo/hardcore shit? I like that shit too but my first unwound experience was LTIY

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2023, 10:08:09 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vCHfdPqc-4
Jared on bass is a nice surprise

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2023, 12:07:59 PM »
Going to hold off on checkin this^ because I got tickets for next week

can’t w8

animalflesh

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2023, 05:12:31 AM »

So good, I’ll definitely be at the New York date

No Wave Comply

• Rep: 127
  • Phantom of the Skatepark
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2023, 09:32:29 AM »
Probably my favorite 90s band; a perfect Post-Hardcore SST-cocktail (Black Flag/Sonic Youth/Hüsker Dü/Minutemen all mixed together). I was lucky enough to see them live a couple times and open for them in San Diego on their last tour (Leaves Turn Inside You). I got a couple tickets to the LA Wiltern show (first night, Wednesday, February 15th). Looking forward to seeing them with a second guitarist, although Vern (RIP) seems irreplaceable. I'm sure Jared (Karp, Tight Bros., Melvins) will do just fine though. Never thought they'd tour again, especially after Vern's passing.

Was super hyped on all their stuff with Sara Lund on drums (not as keen on the early material w/ Brandt Sandeno save for "Caterpillar"), but my favorites have to be New Plastic Ideas, Repetition, the Mile Me Deaf EP, and Leaves Turn Inside You. Can't settle on one.

If anyone plays guitar and is interested, I went a little crazy about 8-9 years ago and added a bunch of guitar tabs of their songs to Ultimate-Guitar.com. Many of them are in slightly alternate tunings too, which I got straight from corresponding with Justin Trosper:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/artist/unwound_31765

Here's one of my favorites:
https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab/unwound/look-a-ghost-tabs-1446989

i love all the oddball tracks unwound put on their records, all the dubby shit and all that. or like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePX61LpF9fo
Totally. I also really like "Census", which is from the Negated / Said Serial 7" and A Single History 1991 - 1997. "Sensible" (from Repetition) is its slower, dubbed out sibling.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 09:50:15 AM by No Wave Comply »
a grunt  a mudhog  a slimedog
a simple servant  a hired hand

“Come in here dear boy, have a gnar, you’re gonna go far!”

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2023, 10:07:07 AM »

Watch all hour and forty five minutes and you will, at some point, spot me heading to or from the bathroom.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

No Wave Comply

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2023, 10:22:59 AM »
Leaves Turn Inside You was always my jam, but isn’t that a big departure from their emo/hardcore shit? I like that shit too but my first unwound experience was LTIY
Yeah, LTIY was a pretty significant departure from everything before it, although their was definitely a gradual progression/evolution with each proceeding album. The main difference is that it was self-produced and took a couple years to make, versus an album nearly every year with Steve Fisk producing (he was a major asset in my opinion and a fourth member more or less). It's also a double album and the most ambitious thing they ever did by a country mile. I had almost the opposite experience where I first heard The Future of What from a friend, then bought Fake Train, New Plastic Ideas, and eventually Repetition. Once the last two albums came around, I gradually lost interest and wasn't as invested (especially LTIY); I started working at a record store and thought I was over that kind of music. Then I reevaluated it ten years later and became obsessed with LTIY. It really is a masterpiece.

I think you'd really like the two preceding albums Challenge for a Civilized Society (1998) and Repetition (1996) because that's where they really started getting kinda psychedelic and expanding their sound, augmenting it with synths, vibes, pianos, etc. All the Kill Rock Stars album have that special something that really elevated them from all their Emo/Post-Hardcore peers though.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 10:30:14 AM by No Wave Comply »

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2023, 12:19:51 PM »
If I really had to choose, New Plastic Ideas is “the one”, with Leaves as a close second, and everything else being equally great after those two (A side of Challenge is actually my favorite material but B side trails off). Superb band. That being said reunion shows, especially without all the original members, are 99.9% illegal.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

No Wave Comply

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2023, 01:27:03 PM »
Did anyone go to the LA Wiltern shows? What are you thoughts? Any feedback?

I thought the sound was really muddy, but they played really well and it was a good assortment of songs, although too light on Repetition for my taste. I was also getting a cold that night (Wednesday) and my friend had to work super early the next morning, so we couldn’t wait for the encore. It didn’t seem like they were coming back to play, but heard from other friends that they ended up playing for another 30 minutes or more, so I probably missed a lot of great songs. Anyone have set lists?

yghartsyrt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2023, 12:26:38 AM »
Huge unwound fan with „new Plastik ideas“ being my most favorite album.

But I’m not so much into this whole reunion thing that is happening with a lot of punk/hardcore/ post-hardcore bands. Too much nostalgia. I think it’s kind of the antithesis to punk - but I’m happy for everyone, who gets a kick out of it

No Wave Comply

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2023, 01:33:23 PM »

But I’m not so much into this whole reunion thing that is happening with a lot of punk/hardcore/ post-hardcore bands. Too much nostalgia. I think it’s kind of the antithesis to punk - but I’m happy for everyone, who gets a kick out of it

New Plastic Ideas had always been my favorite as well, although it's been somewhat supplanted by Leaves Turn Inside You and/or Repetition in the past decade or so. You'd would have been somewhat pleased, as their (main) setlist contained a lot of NPI songs (opened with "All Souls Day" and "Envelope", then "Hexenzsene" and "Usual Dosage" later). "Arboretum" has always been my favorite on there, but probably edged out by "Lady Elect" as my all-time favorite Unwound song.

Yeah. It felt weird, especially since I'm lucky enough (and old enough) to have seen them during their original run. The nostalgia was there, but it didn't really hit at all. Plus, they were always a small club band, so it was odd seeing/hearing them in a huge theatre. Definitely wasn't the same without Vern; Jared used a Fender Jazz bass, but he didn't have that same sharp, aggressive, defined, near-lead bass tone. To be fair, everything sounded muddy though, not just the bass.

yghartsyrt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2023, 11:24:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

New Plastic Ideas had always been my favorite as well, although it's been somewhat supplanted by Leaves Turn Inside You and/or Repetition in the past decade or so. You'd would have been somewhat pleased, as their (main) setlist contained a lot of NPI songs (opened with "All Souls Day" and "Envelope", then "Hexenzsene" and "Usual Dosage" later). "Arboretum" has always been my favorite on there, but probably edged out by "Lady Elect" as my all-time favorite Unwound song.

Yeah. It felt weird, especially since I'm lucky enough (and old enough) to have seen them during their original run. The nostalgia was there, but it didn't really hit at all. Plus, they were always a small club band, so it was odd seeing/hearing them in a huge theatre. Definitely wasn't the same without Vern; Jared used a Fender Jazz bass, but he didn't have that same sharp, aggressive, defined, near-lead bass tone. To be fair, everything sounded muddy though, not just the bass.

Hearing songs from NPI loud sounds tempting - I must say.  But i still don’t get, what makes a band play reunion shows - especially with no new material.  Is it just for the sake of good old times?

But back on topic. Even though NPI is my favorite(maybe because it was my first unwound record), it is hard to not be totally hyped, no matter what unwound record I play. My common reaction usually is: this got to be my most favorite unwound record. They are all so extremely good. I don’t have that with many bands. With most other bands it is way easier to choose a favorite

No Wave Comply

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2023, 10:58:45 AM »

Hearing songs from NPI loud sounds tempting - I must say.  But i still don’t get, what makes a band play reunion shows - especially with no new material.  Is it just for the sake of good old times?

But back on topic. Even though NPI is my favorite(maybe because it was my first unwound record), it is hard to not be totally hyped, no matter what unwound record I play. My common reaction usually is: this got to be my most favorite unwound record. They are all so extremely good. I don’t have that with many bands. With most other bands it is way easier to choose a favorite

Yeah. I guess it's to give a younger generation of fans, or old fans who never saw them live, a chance to see them play highlights from their discography live? Even at its best, it's still not a completely satisfying exercise. I think it's safe to say a band like Fugazi will never do the same, but who fucking knows.

Yep. That's why I can't say NPI without mentioning Repetition and LTIY, then feeling a little guilty for leaving out awesome albums like Future of What or Challenge for a Civilized Society (I don't think Fake Train, as a whole, is a fan favorite, although side one is pretty flawless/classic. "Ratbite" and "Star Spangled Hell" sound like leftovers from their pre-Sara Lund phase). I've said many times that they're my favorite 90's band and have a damn near flawless track record. Thankfully, they never signed to a major and put out an expensive disappointment (or two) that ended their run a la The Jesus Lizard, Girls Against Boys, etc.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2023, 04:23:19 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah. I guess it's to give a younger generation of fans, or old fans who never saw them live, a chance to see them play highlights from their discography live? Even at its best, it's still not a completely satisfying exercise. I think it's safe to say a band like Fugazi will never do the same, but who fucking knows.

Yep. That's why I can't say NPI without mentioning Repetition and LTIY, then feeling a little guilty for leaving out awesome albums like Future of What or Challenge for a Civilized Society (I don't think Fake Train, as a whole, is a fan favorite, although side one is pretty flawless/classic. "Ratbite" and "Star Spangled Hell" sound like leftovers from their pre-Sara Lund phase). I've said many times that they're my favorite 90's band and have a damn near flawless track record. Thankfully, they never signed to a major and put out an expensive disappointment (or two) that ended their run a la The Jesus Lizard, Girls Against Boys, etc.
Melvins, Jawbox, Tad, Seaweed, Shudder to Think, Urge Overkill...even those last couple Dinosaur records before the OG lineup reformed are really bad. It's interesting that at the time you could pick the fall off record but, with the benefit of hindsight, it seems like Indie Rock was more trend focused than I thought at the time. Of course some of those records are pretty unlistenable and people like what they like but watching Jesus Lizard fall out of fashion while living in Chicago was definitely weird and seemed like the hate wave started before they put out any bad records. The same hate wave hit LTIY hard and that record was in the used bin for cheap for a long time before any kind of reassessment started to tick it's reputation up.

I was just happy to give a band that I still put on a couple dozen times a year one big payday. I'm sure any money they made off of their material is long gone and was probably spent on keeping the whole thing going in the original run.