Author Topic: Help me plan work trip to SF proper early/mid Sept  (Read 1190 times)

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1378
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Help me plan work trip to SF proper early/mid Sept
« on: July 18, 2022, 10:46:47 PM »
Yo yo yo so I've got a paid trip down to SF in just over a month. Pretty sure its 5 days of work related stuff. I've been through the city many times but only kicked it for more than a day a couple times. I've never been able to skate around when I'm there either, its been hiking around with backpacks and stuff.

I've had some dank burritos in the mission, hated on haight, peeped amoeba, hit city lights and got right at the bar next door, and walked for an hour or more in any direction from the greyhound station on Folsom

Its going to be a different experience this time, still rolling solo, but I'll have a room, my car parked with my board and what not. So what's good and not going completely deplete my pockets? Anything is appreciated
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Fhk

Re: Help me plan work trip to SF proper early/mid Sept
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2022, 04:19:47 PM »
Fly into Logan instead..we get high and skate. Problem solved.

5 of muthafuckin 8

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2022, 04:35:59 PM »

5 of muthafuckin 8

Was tryna do it mid August for my homie/best friend Frank's memorial but round trip is about a grand and the money trees stopped sprouting this year  :-\

So instead, I drive 6hr to SF to get talked at.

Fhk

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2022, 05:07:17 PM »
Expand Quote

5 of muthafuckin 8
[close]

Was tryna do it mid August for my homie/best friend Frank's memorial but round trip is about a grand and the money trees stopped sprouting this year  :-\

So instead, I drive 6hr to SF to get talked at.
Sry to hear that my man..dem trees certainly don’t grow quick enough..when you finally make it back Marc Anthony’s is on me! I hope you have a good time in SF

Candied cigarettes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 235
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2022, 08:17:44 PM »
When I was there I had a lot of fun skating around the UN/civic center area. Also, there’s a really fun mini transition spot in that brick plaza directly across the street from the 24th street BART station. Blue plate about 1/2 mile away from there has really good fried chicken although it’s far from cheap.

Keep_on_Chooglin

• Rep: 28
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2022, 10:49:47 PM »
Since you're already semi-familiar with the area, here are my recommendations:

Spots:

- Academy of Sciences in Golden Gate park is always a good time. There's the famous stage and such but also good curbs and a fun ledge right next door.
- Playland in Outer Sunset is that rare breed of shitty park that's fun to skate. Usually pretty mellow and you're right next to the beach.
- Waller ledges is fun with a DIY vibe. Can get a little crowded but never too bad. Close to FTC.
- Not sure how you feel about the hillbombs out here but the one thing I will always recommend is to bomb from the Sunset down to the beach. I personally like Moraga, mellow bomb that is always fun. Going from Sutro Baths to Ocean Beach is also fun but a little more hectic with cars. Buena Vista is great to but also burly.

Grub:

- You've already experienced mission burritos but some are better than others. People may tell you there's a better burrito than Pancho Villa but they're wrong. Take it to Dolores and have a solid meal.
- Beit Rima has been my recent obsession. It's "Arabic comfort food" and welllllllllll worth the price (which isn't bad).
- Phở Huỳnh Hiệp 2 for pho. Always incredible.

The beauty of SF is that it's small enough that you can get pretty much everywhere relatively easily. Downtown/Soma has spots but mostly sucks so get out into the neighborhoods and have fun.

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 512
    • shop lurker avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2022, 09:15:34 AM »
my car parked with my board and what not. So what's good and not going completely deplete my pockets?

Make sure you park your car completely empty with nothing visible to someone looking inside. If you have a Prius, or a car with a valuable catalytic converter, you may want to look into getting cat protections put in place before arriving (unless you're planning on parking in a garaged spot the whole time).

Transition spots:
- Drive halfway across the Bay Bridge and hit Treasure Island skatepark. There is no bridge toll. You can also take a $10 roundtrip ferry from the SF Ferry building, but you'll have to push a mile to the park.
- Soma or Potrero skatepark if you've never been.
- Banks = Battery Crosby and Fort Miley are a good combination due to their proximity.
- China Banks since they eventually will no longer exist
- Playland park is closed

Flatground or Ledges
- The closed section of Twin Peaks BLVD below Noe Peak is pretty great to just hang / kick it at. The ground is smooth and you get a 360 view of the Bay area. It's a pretty common for people to make the trek up and then bomb down.
- Waller park if you want a variety of low key random things to skate.
- The Island (Harry Bridges Plaza). The most skated flat ground spot in the city. Emb is right across the street.
- Union Square - bust levels vary - Definitely worth hiking up and skating down through the Stockton Tunnel.
- Plaza at Illinois and Cargo Way - ledges with metal edges. Across from Third and Army

Free non skate shit to check out:
- Cable car museum
- Salesforce Park (clean restrooms)
- Kinokuniya bookstore in Japan Town (lots of hard to find photo books)
- Fort Point National Historic Site
- 16th ave tiled steps to Grandview Park
- Sutro Baths
- Hippie Hill on a Sunday if the weather is nice
- Musée Mécanique at Pier 45
« Last Edit: July 23, 2022, 09:26:01 AM by tkp »

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2022, 06:52:17 PM »
Since you're already semi-familiar with the area, here are my recommendations:

Spots:

- Academy of Sciences in Golden Gate park is always a good time. There's the famous stage and such but also good curbs and a fun ledge right next door.
- Playland in Outer Sunset is that rare breed of shitty park that's fun to skate. Usually pretty mellow and you're right next to the beach.
- Waller ledges is fun with a DIY vibe. Can get a little crowded but never too bad. Close to FTC.
- Not sure how you feel about the hillbombs out here but the one thing I will always recommend is to bomb from the Sunset down to the beach. I personally like Moraga, mellow bomb that is always fun. Going from Sutro Baths to Ocean Beach is also fun but a little more hectic with cars. Buena Vista is great to but also burly.

Grub:

- You've already experienced mission burritos but some are better than others. People may tell you there's a better burrito than Pancho Villa but they're wrong. Take it to Dolores and have a solid meal.
- Beit Rima has been my recent obsession. It's "Arabic comfort food" and welllllllllll worth the price (which isn't bad).
- Phở Huỳnh Hiệp 2 for pho. Always incredible.

The beauty of SF is that it's small enough that you can get pretty much everywhere relatively easily. Downtown/Soma has spots but mostly sucks so get out into the neighborhoods and have fun.

awesome, dude, thank you. and you're right, it's relatively small and easy enough to navigate. kinda reminds me of Boston in that regard. I look forward to all of it.

Expand Quote
my car parked with my board and what not. So what's good and not going completely deplete my pockets?
[close]

Make sure you park your car completely empty with nothing visible to someone looking inside. If you have a Prius, or a car with a valuable catalytic converter, you may want to look into getting cat protections put in place before arriving (unless you're planning on parking in a garaged spot the whole time).

Transition spots:
- Drive halfway across the Bay Bridge and hit Treasure Island skatepark. There is no bridge toll. You can also take a $10 roundtrip ferry from the SF Ferry building, but you'll have to push a mile to the park.
- Soma or Potrero skatepark if you've never been.
- Banks = Battery Crosby and Fort Miley are a good combination due to their proximity.
- China Banks since they eventually will no longer exist
- Playland park is closed

Flatground or Ledges
- The closed section of Twin Peaks BLVD below Noe Peak is pretty great to just hang / kick it at. The ground is smooth and you get a 360 view of the Bay area. It's a pretty common for people to make the trek up and then bomb down.
- Waller park if you want a variety of low key random things to skate.
- The Island (Harry Bridges Plaza). The most skated flat ground spot in the city. Emb is right across the street.
- Union Square - bust levels vary - Definitely worth hiking up and skating down through the Stockton Tunnel.
- Plaza at Illinois and Cargo Way - ledges with metal edges. Across from Third and Army

- Cable car museum
- Sutro Baths

good looking out on the parking the car and keeping it clean. Since this shit is going to be comped for the job, I think I'm going to garage it. Still going to leave it empty though. I really want to skate the island. Years ago the first time I passed through town I spent the night camped out between there and EMB, trying to avoid getting hustled and robbed, waiting for they Amtrak bus.

definitely going to visit China Banks too. Just watched a clip of my homie who is a ripper have a mighty hard time riding them. I've gotta eat shit at least once over there.

thank you much

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2022, 10:32:41 PM »
Help me with dope lodging. My work stuff is near golden gate and I'd like to be staying within a close enough distance.

Lodging stipend is $250/night and I wanna max it out, for sure. What's a dope place to stay regarding comfort, proximity to food, skaget etc? I might be willing to spend a few bux out of pocket to do a real luxury stay since I've never done that before.

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2022, 08:01:05 PM »
Near the Golden Gate Bridge or Golden Gate Avenue?
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2022, 07:40:19 AM »
prolly GGP

slapcurbsnotwomen

• Rep: 18
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2022, 10:57:35 AM »
Don’t leave anything in your whip or else you’re gonna have a bad time, m’kay

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2022, 11:03:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

- Cable car museum
- Sutro Baths

Also 2nd the Japantown bookstore, Japantown also has good eats, Haight st is always fun if you're on a budget.  How's Amoeba doing these days?

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2022, 05:54:22 PM »
trip got all screwed up and i'm only gonna be there for 2 nights, 3 days. Got what looks like a real nice room at Seal Rock Inn, which also has a parking garage =) totally opposite side of the city from emb and where i've been before.

Gonna be 109 driving thru some places to get there and i've got no AC, but I look forward to digging into some different shit.

Nosferatu

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2022, 08:56:19 PM »
8 minute walk to Ft Miley from your hotel. Pretty sweet.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2022, 09:52:59 PM »
8 minute walk to Ft Miley from your hotel. Pretty sweet.

i didn't even put that together until reading this.

what's it like skating there? am i going to eat shit on everything or can i get low key?

Nosferatu

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2022, 10:37:56 PM »
It is very low key and a must visit
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2022, 08:59:15 PM »
It is very low key and a must visit

Word. Thank you.

Anything else rad right over there, walking distance? I'm outta my element haven't been in a city on a few yr

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2022, 05:09:43 PM »
@Nosferatu

yo homie good looking out on the fort miley heads up! Just put in a couple hours over there and it's the funnest all around spot I've skated in a long time. definitely lowkey but not "easy." wicked fun time.

Nosferatu

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2022, 10:30:38 PM »
That’s awesome you got some time in. I’m jealous.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 705
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2022, 10:54:25 PM »
Don't forget power adapters for your phone, laptop, and electric toothbrush. You might consider purchasing a zipup case like this one to keep them in. Have a great trip

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2022, 08:44:50 PM »
Don't forget power adapters for your phone, laptop, and electric toothbrush. You might consider purchasing a zipup case like this one to keep them in. Have a great trip

What I really needed was AC in the car on the drive down and back up. Between 100-112°F for the whole drive except at home where it was 68 and SF where it was 90.

It was an OK trip. Cluster fuck and all that, but the sesh at fort Miley and an incredible gyro plate at bistro medeteranneo made it all good. Had a pretty good donut too.

Oh ya and some kids, probably freshman in high school were on lunch, and this KO'd sez "excuse me sir, are you feeling warm today?" I sez "yea, I'm pretty warm." He sez "my balls are warm and sweaty" and his buddies are giggling and I lift my sunglasses and ask "son, ya got that swamp ass, huh?" And they all start dying. Felt kinda old on that one

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 705
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2022, 08:01:06 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

What I really needed was AC in the car on the drive down and back up. Between 100-112°F for the whole drive except at home where it was 68 and SF where it was 90.

It was an OK trip. Cluster fuck and all that, but the sesh at fort Miley and an incredible gyro plate at bistro medeteranneo made it all good. Had a pretty good donut too.

Oh ya and some kids, probably freshman in high school were on lunch, and this KO'd sez "excuse me sir, are you feeling warm today?" I sez "yea, I'm pretty warm." He sez "my balls are warm and sweaty" and his buddies are giggling and I lift my sunglasses and ask "son, ya got that swamp ass, huh?" And they all start dying. Felt kinda old on that one

No way, you killed it, that's the kind of old man shit everyone aspires to, even if they don't know it yet. We all get old, but not everyone gets lame :)
And since I hate to waste a joke, that wasn't a 'pencil case" in the above pic...