Author Topic: Running  (Read 3763 times)

paraquat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Running
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2015, 07:45:01 AM »
Ellipticals are the shit. Put some music on and bust for 45 mins.

carbonite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 490
    • frozen in carbonite avatar image
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2015, 12:38:05 PM »
I mostly run to stay in shape in the winter when there's not a lot of skating going on...right now I do about 20 miles a week, but just cause i'm  training for a half marathon next month.

according to legend, Reese Forbes runs four miles every day 

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1576
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2015, 02:24:31 PM »
Ellipticals are the shit. Put some music on and bust for 45 mins.

Sometimes I like to do 20 or 30 then hop on for 5 or 10 minutes between sets.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Wall of Nausea

• Rep: -60
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2015, 04:17:50 PM »
sucks

Tufty

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -26
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2015, 05:58:27 PM »
During a bad winter and after bad nutrition and too much desk work I gained a lot of weight some years ago. I ran for 2-3 months until I lost all the extra weight. It was boring as fuck but the nice thing was that made me able to have much longer sessions without a break.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2015, 06:37:16 PM »
Just thinking about running makes me exhausted.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

Prince Nelson

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2015, 07:29:55 PM »
I don't run, but I use an exercise bike.

WeirdBeach

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 14
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2015, 03:51:31 AM »
I run at least 4 miles a day. 10-12 mile long runs. Just signed up for the fucking LA Marathon. Should be interesting. Took it up seriously after quitting drinking. I love it. If you're in LA come run with us in BlacklistLA every Monday night .10pm Disney Concert Hall.

white rapper

• Rep: -80
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2015, 12:37:45 PM »
if anyone needs any inspiration/motivation to run, check this out

fulltechnicalskizzy

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2015, 12:42:13 PM »
Running's fucking tight I find it to be faster than walking

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2022, 08:34:45 AM »
bumping this wildly old thread to ask, anyone running these days?

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1381
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2022, 12:42:47 PM »
Perfect for today. went out for a couple miles this AM for the first time in a really long while. Past year and post covid/long covid has had me wracked for running, but I think I'll be back in it. Toying with training for a marathon in May.

When I was running hard and regularly, about 10 years ago, I was running a lot of road races and training for a half marathon but got hurt and never went back with consistency due to recurring injuries. When I started up again before getting covid, I was running for an hour at a go most days. Slipped off a wet sidewalk and ripped mad ligaments in the ankle. Shit was brutal.

Running through a city after midnight is one of my favorite things to do. Used to work 2nd shift and I'd get out, have a beer or two, then go run for a couple hours. That shit was glorious. I currently live in a rural.place where people run Xcountry or on the beach, both of which aren't good for my ankles/knees, so I'm relegated to neighborhoods and shit. Its boring as fuck.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2022, 11:23:21 PM »
Covid and podcasts got me going, worked my way up to a half marathon…..my knee flared up and so I quit.  Last spring I got back at it and ran an 8 mile run every week. I’m about to quit and just get back on the treadmill for the winter….

Can’t say I love it but I’m in a great spot and it mixes up my exercise a bit…

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 333
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2022, 12:25:26 AM »
Nah it's way too rough on the body unless you run on grass or softer surfaces, but then ankle rolls are more likely. If anyone is trying to supplement skating with other exercise low/no impact stuff like swimming is probably a good choice if you live nearby water or have access to a local pool.

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2022, 07:43:55 AM »
yeah, for a few years now.  seems like a lot of people I know got into endurance activities when they turned 40.

It isn't that hard on the body if you work out your stride and stretch/foam roll etc.  I have had some small stuff but nothing major.  The biggest problem I have had is getting enough protein while being vegetarian. That was  pretty rough until I figured it out.

Right now I am 20-30 miles a week while training towards a 50k in november.  I ran a road marathon earlier this year but don't think I will do that again. 

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2022, 07:56:40 AM »
hell yeah my dawgs.

getting back into it myself these days. i find myself switching back and forth between running and bikes, but the pendulum has swung fully back to bikes now. im back at 45/50 miles a week, thinking about a race next year. i told myself i'd do a 50k on my 30th birthday next year, so i gotta keep it consistent for that at least

Perfect for today. went out for a couple miles this AM for the first time in a really long while. Past year and post covid/long covid has had me wracked for running, but I think I'll be back in it. Toying with training for a marathon in May.

When I was running hard and regularly, about 10 years ago, I was running a lot of road races and training for a half marathon but got hurt and never went back with consistency due to recurring injuries. When I started up again before getting covid, I was running for an hour at a go most days. Slipped off a wet sidewalk and ripped mad ligaments in the ankle. Shit was brutal.

Running through a city after midnight is one of my favorite things to do. Used to work 2nd shift and I'd get out, have a beer or two, then go run for a couple hours. That shit was glorious. I currently live in a rural.place where people run Xcountry or on the beach, both of which aren't good for my ankles/knees, so I'm relegated to neighborhoods and shit. Its boring as fuck.

100% agreed. when i lived in LA, there were a bunch of crews that ran the streets late at night, and it was the best thing. i did a 5k in LA that started at like 11pm one night and it's one of my favorite running memories

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1381
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2022, 08:49:04 AM »
hell yeah my dawgs.

getting back into it myself these days. i find myself switching back and forth between running and bikes, but the pendulum has swung fully back to bikes now. im back at 45/50 miles a week, thinking about a race next year. i told myself i'd do a 50k on my 30th birthday next year, so i gotta keep it consistent for that at least

Expand Quote

[close]

100% agreed. when i lived in LA, there were a bunch of crews that ran the streets late at night, and it was the best thing. i did a 5k in LA that started at like 11pm one night and it's one of my favorite running memories

Aaahaha that's dope! 5k is such a fun, short race in the city too, man. Can actually sprint most of it.

City running at night just let's me look at things differently. I'm already primed from skating, to see things differently, and running ads to that, for sure.

I really enjoy running railroad tracks as well.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1488
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2022, 11:24:07 PM »
I have been running on and off for a couple of years, but I am soon moving into our new house in the countryside (still close to the city) and am planning to do a lot of gravel cycling and running. A great skatepark is 10km away, so I won't skate on a whim, but it is still very accessible. I've decided not to skate in the cold months, since injuries are way too common (banged my head for the first time last year), and I'll run instead.

From my new house, I have a very picturesque circuit though a forest and then around a nice man-made lake which is 7km and with 180m of altitude meters (undulating terrain). It really is hard to describe how beautiful this loop is and I hope to borrow a GoPro with a chest mount to film it one day, so others can see.

I hate running in the city - the harshness of the surface on your joints and the constant crossing of roads. None of that for me soon.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1927
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2022, 11:33:29 PM »

From my new house, I have a very picturesque circuit though a forest and then around a nice man-made lake which is 7km and with 180m of altitude meters (undulating terrain). It really is hard to describe how beautiful this loop is and I hope to borrow a GoPro with a chest mount to film it one day, so others can see.

That does sound heavenly, like it would get my excited to enjoy the run rather than just as a means of staying in shape.

My knees and feet have been pretty jacked, been running sprints almost exclusively for over 3 years.

8-10 laps x 400m
85-90 sec run, 30-45 sec break

I live in a crowded city and the boredom of distance running kills me, hence interval training to maximize the workout in the shortest (most painful) duration.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2022, 10:30:16 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That does sound heavenly, like it would get my excited to enjoy the run rather than just as a means of staying in shape.

My knees and feet have been pretty jacked, been running sprints almost exclusively for over 3 years.

8-10 laps x 400m

I live in a crowded city and the boredom of distance running kills me, hence interval training to maximize the workout in the shortest (most painful) duration.

i like distance, but once a week, i bang out some 400s. and lemme tell you, nothing feels cooler than flying around the track

lydius

• Rep: 43
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2022, 01:50:15 PM »
for the past couple years, I've been going to the gym for some cardio and a steam/sauna. usually I'll do like uphill powerwalking/hiking for 30mins to an hour, but lately I got some New Balance 1080s that have really helped me to feel good and get back into running, just a mile or two per day. I really enjoy just doing the full buffet of cardio: 10-15 mins each of basketball, rowing, treadmill, elliptical and bike.

I don't know how you guys do the bike especially for so many miles. my poor ass just can't take it lol

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2022, 08:33:55 PM »
I’ve been running in the am since April, like 10km/week. My theory is just go slower…..it’s getting darker now so I’ll prolly happily stop doing it and jump on a treadmill. 

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2022, 11:27:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

8-10 laps x 400m

[close]

i like distance, but once a week, i bang out some 400s. and lemme tell you, nothing feels cooler than flying around the track

I've did my best 1.5 mile (6 x 400m) timings just doing interval runs. Applied the same training techniques when training for a 10k a few years back (1km x 10) and did a 43:59, very pleased with that, but I don't see myself doing anything longer than 10k. Doing a 1/2 or full marathon is a lifestyle commitment and I'm not ready for that.

Shit hurts so good but the results speak for themselves.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2022, 10:38:41 PM »
It’s all quite a commitment when I’m happy just maintaining.  If I didn’t skate I’d probably be in a running group but at this point….fuck that….I’d rather go do something more productive…..like nose slides…..

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2022, 05:25:00 AM »
You guys are hardcore.  A brisk 45 minute walk around the neighbourhood after dinner does it for me.

Bror

• Rep: 23
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2022, 03:21:02 PM »
yeah, for a few years now.  seems like a lot of people I know got into endurance activities when they turned 40.

It isn't that hard on the body if you work out your stride and stretch/foam roll etc.  I have had some small stuff but nothing major.  The biggest problem I have had is getting enough protein while being vegetarian. That was  pretty rough until I figured it out.

Right now I am 20-30 miles a week while training towards a 50k in november.  I ran a road marathon earlier this year but don't think I will do that again.

Do you have any tips for vegetarian brotein? I've just started lifting and running and I realise that I don't eat enough to build muscle.

You guys know how to strengthen the knees and whatnot to stop them from hurting after running? Just started again and it's so frustrating when you over train and just get kneepains.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1488
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2022, 09:31:00 PM »
If you lift/run then just make a protein shake after. Your diet should already include a lot of pulses, nuts etc. to give you that baseline. Been vegetarian/practically vegan for 11 years now.

Don't overtrain would be my first advice - my wife basically pushed through the pain and destroyed the cartilage in her knees about 10 years ago (when she was just 24 years old). That is the worst thing you can do, so don't push yourself for some arbitrary achievement in running. It's about keeping your heart healthy and clearing your mind.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2022, 10:28:31 PM »
If you lift/run then just make a protein shake after. Your diet should already include a lot of pulses, nuts etc. to give you that baseline. Been vegetarian/practically vegan for 11 years now.

Don't overtrain would be my first advice - my wife basically pushed through the pain and destroyed the cartilage in her knees about 10 years ago (when she was just 24 years old). That is the worst thing you can do, so don't push yourself for some arbitrary achievement in running. It's about keeping your heart healthy and clearing your mind.

No Pain No Gain is BS, working through the pain will only wreck your body and inhibit you from doing it long term.

Not a doctor but the stuff that works for me to treat runners knee:
1) Lots of stretching, take a while to stretch the calf muscles especially. The physiotherapist I spoke to mentioned knee pains stemming from tightness around the IT band and shin, that pulling exposes the fat pad underneath the knee cap causing pain when running.
2) Knee guards, they help a little bit to reduce the pain, probably 5-10% during the run
3) Check your shoes, make sure they still have life on them and fit your shoe profile
4) Check your gait, your body structure may be causing your knees to pronate, proper shoes or insoles can correct that
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2022, 06:57:44 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Do you have any tips for vegetarian brotein? I've just started lifting and running and I realise that I don't eat enough to build muscle.

You guys know how to strengthen the knees and whatnot to stop them from hurting after running? Just started again and it's so frustrating when you over train and just get kneepains.

Pretty much any vegan protein with greens is good, pea protein, hemp powder, beans, nuts, tofu.  my morning shake has most of my protein in it.  I think around 40 to 50 grams or whatever.  It is definitely hard and something I have to pay attention to.

Pain wise it is a lot about technique.  I take short strides with very bent knees compared to typical running.  I read Born to Run and Barefoot running a long time ago and just kind of adapted what is in those books to work with my body.  Midfoot strikes and trying to feel smooth. 

Anton Krupicka's stride in the beginning of this video is a good example, he has had long term injury struggles though I think that is more from ridiculous miles over years.  But if you listen to his feet hitting the ground they are quick and constant.  I think combined with bent knees it puts the work into the muscles instead of the joints.  At least that is what has helped me.  Good shoes as well.