Author Topic: Leftist thread 2: the saga continues  (Read 2711 times)

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 934
Re: Leftist thread 2: the saga continues
« Reply #120 on: August 03, 2022, 04:00:46 PM »
hi I'm new here and don't really know what to ID as (leftist is likely accurate) but
-I hate gerrymandering, the electoral college, and the lack of secularism in the US
-just want socialized medicine and am very passionate about it
-corporations and capitalism must be dismantled
-I'm collapse aware and am frustrated more people are not aware
-honestly terrified I won't be able to marry my partner because we're both women
-not stoked on losing my human/bodily rights because of religion and general ignorance

hello comrades. my background is in biological science so I admittedly do not know much about sociology, political science, theology, etc etc but I hope to learn some new things from info you guys share.

Welcome!

weon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 174
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #121 on: August 04, 2022, 01:31:24 AM »
I donít think itís a necessity to know your ideology, but it can help. i struggle to identify as anything beyond marxist, just bc I believe historical materialism and class analysis will always lead us in the correct direction for leftism. On the other hand it feels like a cop out, as our material conditions are ever changing so the correct analysis to guide our praxis might elude us. i guess I feel like marxism is a great tool, but one that can be tricky to use?

if anyone is interested in marxism, a book that helped me was The Marx-Engels Reader (Link to PDF). I remember reading the introduction and how much it resonated with my feelings towards the world.

Iím happy youíre here, caked. I am a marine scientist so I know that feeling of fish out of water.

Iíve been meaning to read this 1975 essay on healthcare with a COVID-updated introduction (Link to PDF) but havenít gotten to it yet. Sounds like it might be up your alley!
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

therealnod

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 9
  • Brevity is
« Reply #122 on: August 04, 2022, 07:09:51 AM »

caked

• Rep: 6
« Reply #123 on: August 04, 2022, 07:36:32 AM »
I donít think itís a necessity to know your ideology, but it can help. i struggle to identify as anything beyond marxist, just bc I believe historical materialism and class analysis will always lead us in the correct direction for leftism. On the other hand it feels like a cop out, as our material conditions are ever changing so the correct analysis to guide our praxis might elude us. i guess I feel like marxism is a great tool, but one that can be tricky to use?

if anyone is interested in marxism, a book that helped me was The Marx-Engels Reader (Link to PDF). I remember reading the introduction and how much it resonated with my feelings towards the world.

Expand Quote
[close]

Iím happy youíre here, caked. I am a marine scientist so I know that feeling of fish out of water.

Iíve been meaning to read this 1975 essay on healthcare with a COVID-updated introduction (Link to PDF) but havenít gotten to it yet. Sounds like it might be up your alley!

marine science, awesome! that was actually my dream career as a kid. some of these days I wish I were a marine biologist!
big thanks weon for those two links, especially the latter one. will be reading it the next few days.

therealnod

• Brevity is
« Reply #124 on: August 04, 2022, 07:51:24 AM »
Here is a great lecture from Rick Roderick, with this bit of wisdom:
"If you live by an ideology, the most dangerous ideology to you is your own, because someone may expect you to do what you say."
Sadly he didn't live to see Mark Hamill play him in the third Star Wars trilogy.
https://youtu.be/2MsNyR-epBM

therealnod

• Brevity is
« Reply #125 on: August 04, 2022, 08:29:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Sounds like it might be up your alley!
[close]
some of these days I wish I were a marine biologist!
Sorry, but this had to be done

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #126 on: August 05, 2022, 08:45:24 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cg2bseVlcj2/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

This is why a real left is needed in the US.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1231
« Reply #127 on: August 06, 2022, 06:11:35 AM »
That do you all think of that gray streak in Tulsi Gabbardís hair? 

I think itís fucking cool.
Shoe size: 6.5
Shirt size: 3X
Pants: 42-44W  24-26L
Helmet size: XS

therealnod

• Brevity is
« Reply #128 on: August 06, 2022, 08:19:53 AM »
That do you all think of that gray streak in Tulsi Gabbardís hair? 

I think itís fucking cool.
That gray streak defends torture, which is significantly less cool than fucking.
Aloha, not for everyone apparently.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 447
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #129 on: August 06, 2022, 08:24:15 AM »
Blowback podcast season 3 is about the Korean War. I've been listening to it and it's really good so far.

https://pod.mtndewamp.com/blowback/

A war that's been "forgotten" for very intentional reasons but learning its history sheds a lot of light on American foreign policy in Asia and anti-communism.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 934
« Reply #130 on: August 06, 2022, 05:11:57 PM »
Blowback podcast season 3 is about the Korean War. I've been listening to it and it's really good so far.

A war that's been "forgotten" for very intentional reasons but learning its history sheds a lot of light on American foreign policy in Asia and anti-communism.

I've been listening as well and getting fully juche pilled. Jk but shit is fucked up

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 447
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #131 on: August 06, 2022, 06:33:42 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I've been listening as well and getting fully juche pilled. Jk but shit is fucked up

It really is. Most people have only heard the official propaganda version that the north invaded the south and the US stepped in to save Korea from the commies.

On another note, holy shit Roger Waters is based AF. Makes me wanna get more into Pink Floyd.

http://youtu.be/ml373MHAtXo

lowerfieldfirst

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 192
« Reply #132 on: Today at 12:35:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

It really is. Most people have only heard the official propaganda version that the north invaded the south and the US stepped in to save Korea from the commies.

On another note, holy shit Roger Waters is based AF. Makes me wanna get more into Pink Floyd.

Regurgitating Pro-Russia talking points about the invasion of Ukraine is not based. At all.

therealnod

• Brevity is
« Reply #133 on: Today at 02:26:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Regurgitating Pro-Russia talking points about the invasion of Ukraine is not based. At all.
Waters' heart seems to be in the right place but I wouldn't consider him an intelligent observer. A fellow traveler but not too bright.

therealnod

• Brevity is
« Reply #134 on: Today at 02:48:17 PM »
Watching that interview...there's nothing he says that's outright bad. Simplistic, but not totally cringe. He's talking with a moron so it's relative.