Author Topic: Leftist thread 2: the saga continues  (Read 6481 times)

Frank and Fred

Re: Leftist thread 2: the saga continues
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2022, 08:52:30 PM »

A leftist is someone who wants to dismantle capitalism and replace it with a different economic model. One that is concerned with the well being of all. We believe no one should profit of of the work we do and we believe in direct democracy. We demand the whole bakery.

Or get rid of all economic systems and replace with Mutual Aid. "From each according to their ability. To each according to their need."

A major critique of Leftism is it does not go far enough and we will have to settle with some ungodly bureaucratic mess to make horrible decisions for us. A post-leftist might argue that the only way this egalitarian ideal is possible is to devolve power, dismantle hierarchy and move away from centralization completely and toward tiny self-sustaining self-determined communities. At least that's the only way I can envision the Leftist dream working at this point, but there's another word for that...

Until then its all just band aids on gaping wounds.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 08:59:11 PM by Frank and Fred »

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2022, 09:50:24 PM »
we can talk about opinions on theory, point fingers, speak about our hopes and dreams, but shit like this is happening in towns and cities all over the US

https://wisconsinwatch.org/2022/07/how-a-bullying-probe-paralyzed-a-wisconsin-towns-democracy/

while the bomb threats are perhaps not as common, the brigading of school boards and local institutions like libraries is very prevalent. My friend who is a librarian in a smallish city said fielded over 130 phone calls protesting drag queen story hour and had to hire cops to stand watch. cops to stand watch at a fucking childrens room event.

I worked in a school during Covid and the angry anti mask lunatics went CRAZY during Zoom school board meetings, making threats, yelling, cursing and what not.

Leftist govt on the large scale is not going to be a thing in the United States. The idea of a one govt system has been a wild experiment, the federal system isn't so different than an empire of nation states connected by some vague yet all powerful understanding of white, christian supremacy. Economically, social, and culturally the regions of the US are vastly different, with those, especially those that were on the losing side of the Civil War, being still completely dependent upon subsidies from New England/NY and California. On the national level we can hope for Bernie at best (and, since we're in that system, I'd love brother Bernie in the WH). Where anarchism actually works is on the macro/micro/mezzo levels within community and communities with shared interests. Do your work at home
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

newguy

« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2022, 12:15:25 AM »
Expand Quote

Freelance’s post adresses this quite well, Democrats are libs, they want to fix capitalism, therefore if you vote for them or believe in their program you’re a liberal, not a leftist.
However I’m sure many leftists vote democrat to block republicans and are immensely frustrated by it. You’re basically forced to participate in capitalism through your vote because the alternative is much, much worse. But capitalism invariably decays into fascism so your vote is merely adding a bit of rubble to a failing dam holding back the worst reactionaries. It’s just delaying the inevitable and only serves the reactionary camp cos they can point to liberalism saying “look these people are making everything worse!” which is a fact, you can’t fix a broken system based on exponential growth and any attempt to fix it will fail.

This is how I personally view the Republican/Democrat dynamic at the moment, doesnt help that an elderly man who likely suffers from dementia is now heading this mess too..

Honestly I’m expecting a lot of people will radicalize when they find out all that Roe V. Wade fundraising money dems desperately needed apparently, was spent on advertisement and donations to insane Qanon republican candidates.
[close]

I don't think Democrats or the two party system are the answer to anything, for sure. But having said that I think choosing to opt out of voting because you hate the system or refuse to vote for "the lesser of two evils" is a luxury enjoyed by white boys who have minimal skin in the game and will never change anything.

I'm not sure what that last statement means? Are you saying the DNC donated to Q Republicans?

It’s not voting for the lesser than two evils when the end result is invariably mass death and genocide.

S.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2022, 12:22:58 AM »
Expand Quote

A leftist is someone who wants to dismantle capitalism and replace it with a different economic model. One that is concerned with the well being of all. We believe no one should profit of of the work we do and we believe in direct democracy. We demand the whole bakery.
[close]

Or get rid of all economic systems and replace with Mutual Aid. "From each according to their ability. To each according to their need."

A major critique of Leftism is it does not go far enough and we will have to settle with some ungodly bureaucratic mess to make horrible decisions for us. A post-leftist might argue that the only way this egalitarian ideal is possible is to devolve power, dismantle hierarchy and move away from centralization completely and toward tiny self-sustaining self-determined communities. At least that's the only way I can envision the Leftist dream working at this point, but there's another word for that...

And how would you organize these small communities?  How would you structure them? I am very sympathetic towards that ideal, but how would you ensure a democratic structure and prevent abuse?

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2022, 12:38:07 AM »
we can talk about opinions on theory, point fingers, speak about our hopes and dreams, but shit like this is happening in towns and cities all over the US

https://wisconsinwatch.org/2022/07/how-a-bullying-probe-paralyzed-a-wisconsin-towns-democracy/

while the bomb threats are perhaps not as common, the brigading of school boards and local institutions like libraries is very prevalent. My friend who is a librarian in a smallish city said fielded over 130 phone calls protesting drag queen story hour and had to hire cops to stand watch. cops to stand watch at a fucking childrens room event.

I worked in a school during Covid and the angry anti mask lunatics went CRAZY during Zoom school board meetings, making threats, yelling, cursing and what not.

Leftist govt on the large scale is not going to be a thing in the United States. The idea of a one govt system has been a wild experiment, the federal system isn't so different than an empire of nation states connected by some vague yet all powerful understanding of white, christian supremacy. Economically, social, and culturally the regions of the US are vastly different, with those, especially those that were on the losing side of the Civil War, being still completely dependent upon subsidies from New England/NY and California. On the national level we can hope for Bernie at best (and, since we're in that system, I'd love brother Bernie in the WH). Where anarchism actually works is on the macro/micro/mezzo levels within community and communities with shared interests. Do your work at home

That‘s crazy. Do you see hope in any reforms to the system?

To me as an outsider. I am German. I think if you achieved two things: Get rid of the two party system and get money out of politics a lot would be achieved for American democracy and the world.

One major difference between the US and the German system is that there is a general democratic consensus between most major parties. We have an extreme right in mainstream politics similar to Trump‘s movement, but no other mainstream party will work with them.

It seems that consensus is not there anymore in the US. Maybe there is a chance there for reform? What do you think will come out of this essential oligarchical system?

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1558
« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2022, 06:36:47 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I really appreciate your input my dude, and I agree with you wholeheartedly. I would have really gone all in and discussed the finer points of mutual aid, free association, post scarcity etc. But for the sake of brevity I just decided to make it as simple and straight forward as possible.

All this talk about dismantling hierarchy and self determination is getting me way too fired up to be at work rn. Shit has got me ready to storm out singing a las barricadas.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2022, 08:06:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

And how would you organize these small communities?  How would you structure them? I am very sympathetic towards that ideal, but how would you ensure a democratic structure and prevent abuse?

These are the types of questions we have to ask for sure.

I think the ideal number I read somewhere were autonomous communities of about 50 people. As I understand it the main point of Kropotkin's 'Mutual Aid' and Green Anarchists ideas is that humans are more inclined to cooperation and not competition. But our current overly-complicated and socioeconomic arrangements have really compromised that.

The bigger questions is how do we get there from here?

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -62
« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2022, 08:54:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

These are the types of questions we have to ask for sure.

I think the ideal number I read somewhere were autonomous communities of about 50 people. As I understand it the main point of Kropotkin's 'Mutual Aid' and Green Anarchists ideas is that humans are more inclined to cooperation and not competition. But our current overly-complicated and socioeconomic arrangements have really compromised that.

The bigger questions is how do we get there from here?

I mean, to split society up into self-sufficient communities of 50 or less, wouldn't that mean everyone would have to be cool with essentially living off the grid? 
Would there be electricity and if so, how?

Frank and Fred

« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2022, 09:04:54 AM »
The Green Anarchists would argue that yes that would indeed mean living off grid.

The Anarcho-Syndicalists would be OK with some kind of commonly agreed upon federated system that would serve these autonomous communities, sending delegates from each commune to coordinate on larger 'federal' issues.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1444
« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2022, 09:26:37 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That‘s crazy. Do you see hope in any reforms to the system?

To me as an outsider. I am German. I think if you achieved two things: Get rid of the two party system and get money out of politics a lot would be achieved for American democracy and the world.

One major difference between the US and the German system is that there is a general democratic consensus between most major parties. We have an extreme right in mainstream politics similar to Trump‘s movement, but no other mainstream party will work with them.

It seems that consensus is not there anymore in the US. Maybe there is a chance there for reform? What do you think will come out of this essential oligarchical system?

The way things are trending in this country, collapse and rebuilding seems much more likely than reform. How do you reform a class of octogenarian bureaucrats wrapping their not quite dead skeletal fingers around the levers of power and refusing to do anything other than run out the clock? And that's just the democratic side. The republican side wants to use the levers of power but to hurt other people

Landmine

• Rep: 184
« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2022, 09:28:24 AM »
Get me off the grid on a little self sustaining farm in the mountains where I can build my own DIY spot and live like a crusty eco-anarchist all alone

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2022, 11:09:12 AM »
In a few years we can just load in the CrustyEcoAnarcist.exe app into our metaverse profile and pick virtual bugs off our virtual tomatoes while sitting in AC on the couch.  Best of both worlds  :).
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

weon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2022, 11:38:28 AM »
leftism to me means one views the basic socioeconomic unit as a community rather than as individuals. capitalism is individualist in nature, hence why it enforces “roles” on ppl. i don’t agree w leftism = anticapitalism as, for example, living like Ted Kaczynski and trying to detach from society is an individualist point of view that doesn’t involve community. sorry if that can come off as a dig, not what I’m trying to do.

When googling Mark Fisher from an earlier post I resonated w his idea of American “Capitalist Realism” since I moved to the US

I def get the impression Americans are more likely to believe in the end of the world than the end of capitalism. yet capitalism has no other logical ending, and once it ends, whatever group is most organized by then will take the reins of the new world.

so I’m wondering, what do gringos imagine the world looking in 30, 50, 100 years? Are humans still around or did climate change extinguish us? Did america survive or did it dissolve like the USSR? Did the govt collapse and now it’s (officially) a Christian Nationalist state? Did leftists sufficiently organize by then? Genuinely interested in the American perception on this.

Personally I view the collapse of capitalism as a possibility within our lifetimes, and as a South American I genuinely hope for the collapse of the American empire so the Global South can more effectively decolonize our politics and our minds. What genuinely scares me is the conversation surrounding COVID-19 as a “test run” for severe climate change by the capitalist class: can we keep the eCoNoMy running with massive pain and death occurring at a global level?

This is where I get very Leninist, bc, yes, yes they can and they are right now! I think climate justice in 15–20 years will be a much more radical cry than how neoliberal it is today. I think getting us from here to there will involve massive radicalization seeking popular justice, but that requires class consciousness to develop and a inclusive ideology, connecting to my previous post, sort of.

Sorry for rambling. The state of the world has me really thinking about this every day. Enjoying hearing everyone’s thoughts here. Peace and love <3
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

newguy

« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2022, 12:17:35 PM »
leftism to me means one views the basic socioeconomic unit as a community rather than as individuals. capitalism is individualist in nature, hence why it enforces “roles” on ppl. i don’t agree w leftism = anticapitalism as, for example, living like Ted Kaczynski and trying to detach from society is an individualist point of view that doesn’t involve community. sorry if that can come off as a dig, not what I’m trying to do.

When googling Mark Fisher from an earlier post I resonated w his idea of American “Capitalist Realism” since I moved to the US

I def get the impression Americans are more likely to believe in the end of the world than the end of capitalism. yet capitalism has no other logical ending, and once it ends, whatever group is most organized by then will take the reins of the new world.

so I’m wondering, what do gringos imagine the world looking in 30, 50, 100 years? Are humans still around or did climate change extinguish us? Did america survive or did it dissolve like the USSR? Did the govt collapse and now it’s (officially) a Christian Nationalist state? Did leftists sufficiently organize by then? Genuinely interested in the American perception on this.

Personally I view the collapse of capitalism as a possibility within our lifetimes, and as a South American I genuinely hope for the collapse of the American empire so the Global South can more effectively decolonize our politics and our minds. What genuinely scares me is the conversation surrounding COVID-19 as a “test run” for severe climate change by the capitalist class: can we keep the eCoNoMy running with massive pain and death occurring at a global level?

This is where I get very Leninist, bc, yes, yes they can and they are right now! I think climate justice in 15–20 years will be a much more radical cry than how neoliberal it is today. I think getting us from here to there will involve massive radicalization seeking popular justice, but that requires class consciousness to develop and a inclusive ideology, connecting to my previous post, sort of.

Sorry for rambling. The state of the world has me really thinking about this every day. Enjoying hearing everyone’s thoughts here. Peace and love <3

oh boy if you don’t know who Michael Parenti is do I have a boat to sell you. Just google “yellow parenti lecture” and enjoy the ride

Landmine

« Reply #74 on: July 28, 2022, 02:16:04 PM »
In a few years we can just load in the CrustyEcoAnarcist.exe app into our metaverse profile and pick virtual bugs off our virtual tomatoes while sitting in AC on the couch.  Best of both worlds  :).

Catch me in VR Chat as the crusty eco anarchist in the virtual farm lol

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -62
« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2022, 03:19:23 PM »
Get me off the grid on a little self sustaining farm in the mountains where I can build my own DIY spot and live like a crusty eco-anarchist all alone

I hope you're close to a small self-sufficient, off the grid community that's producing quality decks....and trucks...and bearings...and wheels...I feel like all of these would be very early on the chopping block when we're all farming our own food and and sourcing our own clean, drinkable water.
Not sure where you'll scrounge up the concrete for your DIY spot but I wish you the best of luck!

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #76 on: July 28, 2022, 03:29:03 PM »
ECO-anarchos ...are we talking like the old school greenpeace dudes who go after whale ships and those cats in oregon back in 2000's who were burning down mansions being built. Or we talking the current Gretta Thunburg is my leader Eco-radical movement

What is even the Eco-radical movement these days...AOC and the green new deal?

milk.razor

• Rep: 11
« Reply #77 on: July 28, 2022, 04:17:45 PM »

i like what you say about americans believing in the end of the world rather than an end of capitalism. the christian nationalist ethos is really positioning itself to be at the helm when things “heat up” in this century, but that’s just more of that same old post war america.

i engaged with a liberal on reddit today who was arguing in a thread about not tipping workers at fast food type of places. they basically said anyone in the US was living the “best historical conditions mankind has ever produced,” and that anyone working for $15/hr could work enough hours to improve their situation. this person then admitted to being born into poverty and is currently working for $17/hr yet still drinking the kool aid of US hegemony. this cognitive dissonance among members of the same classes has lately left me feeling pretty apathetic about any kind of meaningful organization..
what do i know, i’m just bitching about it on a $500 cell phone.
No fun allowed. Also get your phone out and film this for my insta edit. Also don’t breath too loud. Bitch.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #78 on: July 28, 2022, 07:38:51 PM »
you def not skating if capitalism collapses lol

Landmine

« Reply #79 on: July 28, 2022, 09:55:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I hope you're close to a small self-sufficient, off the grid community that's producing quality decks....and trucks...and bearings...and wheels...I feel like all of these would be very early on the chopping block when we're all farming our own food and and sourcing our own clean, drinkable water.
Not sure where you'll scrounge up the concrete for your DIY spot but I wish you the best of luck!

Seems like an odd response to a tongue in cheek post but ok

newguy

« Reply #80 on: July 29, 2022, 02:38:59 AM »
Here’s an article that made me want to scream and proof that racism in the US never went away. The same thing happens in Europe by the way.

https://www.nashvillescene.com/news/coverstory/code-snitching-nashvillians-are-weaponizing-metro-codes-against-undesirable-neighbors/article_5e94bd56-0c67-11ed-af4e-e3d04ad7e500.html

I had to read this in short bursts because it just got worse and worse, it reads like a complete parody.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #81 on: July 29, 2022, 05:01:33 AM »
how do we revive manufacturing in america

newguy

« Reply #82 on: July 29, 2022, 07:16:10 AM »

Frank and Fred

« Reply #83 on: July 29, 2022, 07:24:09 AM »

Skateboarding, a mere substitute for hunting elk, picking berries and skipping through the meadow. We won't need it when we return to our natural state.

Seriously though…

If capitalism doesn’t collapse we won’t be doing much of anything. It will collapse either way, whether we want it to or not. Its a self-defeating and finite system. It’s just what we want to see in the aftermath.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 07:43:15 AM by Frank and Fred »

cky enthusiast

« Reply #84 on: July 29, 2022, 07:27:34 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Skateboarding, a mere substitute for hunting elk, picking berries and skipping through the meadow. We won't need it when we return to our natural state.

this is what i was getting at

therealnod

• Rep: 36
  • Brevity is
« Reply #85 on: July 29, 2022, 09:11:45 AM »
Socialism is when no wheel

What caused manufacturing to leave america?

cky enthusiast

« Reply #86 on: July 29, 2022, 10:15:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Socialism is when no wheel

Expand Quote
[close]
What caused manufacturing to leave america?

i didn’t say “you can’t skateboard in a socialist society”, i said after capitalism collapses you won’t be able to skate.  i don’t think whats coming after is going to be socialism, esp if all socialists can do is respond to questions with more questions or drop stupid twitter platitudes

Skatetron580

• Rep: -12
« Reply #87 on: July 29, 2022, 10:28:53 AM »
do any of us know about these people?

https://cpiusa.org/government-of-action

A Four-Point Plan to Rescue the Country
1A Mass Mobilization to Rebuild The Country. Now is the time to hire the millions of unemployed at union wages. ...
2Public Ownership of Natural Resources. ...
3Public Control of Banking. ...
4An Economic Bill of Rights.

therealnod

• Rep: 36
  • Brevity is
« Reply #88 on: July 29, 2022, 11:32:53 AM »
do any of us know about these people?

https://cpiusa.org/government-of-action

A Four-Point Plan to Rescue the Country
1A Mass Mobilization to Rebuild The Country. Now is the time to hire the millions of unemployed at union wages. ...
2Public Ownership of Natural Resources. ...
3Public Control of Banking. ...
4An Economic Bill of Rights.
Caleb Maupin, Max Blumenthal, Joti Brar...hard no. Advocating for basically a New New Deal? Sure. Fine. But this is like Jimmy Dore and Nick Brana leading a "people's movement." They'll alienate more people than they could ever attract.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #89 on: July 29, 2022, 01:25:31 PM »
so the ideas are right but the people espousing them are wrong?