Author Topic: Leftist thread 2: the saga continues  (Read 6475 times)

weon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
Re: Leftist thread 2: the saga continues
« Reply #120 on: August 04, 2022, 01:31:24 AM »
I don’t think it’s a necessity to know your ideology, but it can help. i struggle to identify as anything beyond marxist, just bc I believe historical materialism and class analysis will always lead us in the correct direction for leftism. On the other hand it feels like a cop out, as our material conditions are ever changing so the correct analysis to guide our praxis might elude us. i guess I feel like marxism is a great tool, but one that can be tricky to use?

if anyone is interested in marxism, a book that helped me was The Marx-Engels Reader (Link to PDF). I remember reading the introduction and how much it resonated with my feelings towards the world.

-just want socialized medicine and am very passionate about it

I’m happy you’re here, caked. I am a marine scientist so I know that feeling of fish out of water.

I’ve been meaning to read this 1975 essay on healthcare with a COVID-updated introduction (Link to PDF) but haven’t gotten to it yet. Sounds like it might be up your alley!
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

therealnod

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 36
  • Brevity is
« Reply #121 on: August 04, 2022, 07:09:51 AM »

caked

• Rep: 15
« Reply #122 on: August 04, 2022, 07:36:32 AM »
I don’t think it’s a necessity to know your ideology, but it can help. i struggle to identify as anything beyond marxist, just bc I believe historical materialism and class analysis will always lead us in the correct direction for leftism. On the other hand it feels like a cop out, as our material conditions are ever changing so the correct analysis to guide our praxis might elude us. i guess I feel like marxism is a great tool, but one that can be tricky to use?

if anyone is interested in marxism, a book that helped me was The Marx-Engels Reader (Link to PDF). I remember reading the introduction and how much it resonated with my feelings towards the world.

Expand Quote
-just want socialized medicine and am very passionate about it
[close]

I’m happy you’re here, caked. I am a marine scientist so I know that feeling of fish out of water.

I’ve been meaning to read this 1975 essay on healthcare with a COVID-updated introduction (Link to PDF) but haven’t gotten to it yet. Sounds like it might be up your alley!

marine science, awesome! that was actually my dream career as a kid. some of these days I wish I were a marine biologist!
big thanks weon for those two links, especially the latter one. will be reading it the next few days.

therealnod

• Brevity is
« Reply #123 on: August 04, 2022, 07:51:24 AM »
Here is a great lecture from Rick Roderick, with this bit of wisdom:
"If you live by an ideology, the most dangerous ideology to you is your own, because someone may expect you to do what you say."
Sadly he didn't live to see Mark Hamill play him in the third Star Wars trilogy.
https://youtu.be/2MsNyR-epBM

therealnod

• Brevity is
« Reply #124 on: August 04, 2022, 08:29:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Sounds like it might be up your alley!
[close]
some of these days I wish I were a marine biologist!
Sorry, but this had to be done

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #125 on: August 05, 2022, 08:45:24 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cg2bseVlcj2/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

This is why a real left is needed in the US.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1238
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #126 on: August 06, 2022, 06:11:35 AM »
That do you all think of that gray streak in Tulsi Gabbard’s hair? 

I think it’s fucking cool.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

therealnod

• Brevity is
« Reply #127 on: August 06, 2022, 08:19:53 AM »
That do you all think of that gray streak in Tulsi Gabbard’s hair? 

I think it’s fucking cool.
That gray streak defends torture, which is significantly less cool than fucking.
Aloha, not for everyone apparently.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #128 on: August 06, 2022, 08:24:15 AM »
Blowback podcast season 3 is about the Korean War. I've been listening to it and it's really good so far.

https://pod.mtndewamp.com/blowback/

A war that's been "forgotten" for very intentional reasons but learning its history sheds a lot of light on American foreign policy in Asia and anti-communism.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1444
« Reply #129 on: August 06, 2022, 05:11:57 PM »
Blowback podcast season 3 is about the Korean War. I've been listening to it and it's really good so far.

A war that's been "forgotten" for very intentional reasons but learning its history sheds a lot of light on American foreign policy in Asia and anti-communism.

I've been listening as well and getting fully juche pilled. Jk but shit is fucked up

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #130 on: August 06, 2022, 06:33:42 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I've been listening as well and getting fully juche pilled. Jk but shit is fucked up

It really is. Most people have only heard the official propaganda version that the north invaded the south and the US stepped in to save Korea from the commies.

On another note, holy shit Roger Waters is based AF. Makes me wanna get more into Pink Floyd.

http://youtu.be/ml373MHAtXo

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #131 on: August 07, 2022, 12:35:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

It really is. Most people have only heard the official propaganda version that the north invaded the south and the US stepped in to save Korea from the commies.

On another note, holy shit Roger Waters is based AF. Makes me wanna get more into Pink Floyd.

Regurgitating Pro-Russia talking points about the invasion of Ukraine is not based. At all.

therealnod

• Brevity is
« Reply #132 on: August 07, 2022, 02:26:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Regurgitating Pro-Russia talking points about the invasion of Ukraine is not based. At all.
Waters' heart seems to be in the right place but I wouldn't consider him an intelligent observer. A fellow traveler but not too bright.

therealnod

• Brevity is
« Reply #133 on: August 07, 2022, 02:48:17 PM »
Watching that interview...there's nothing he says that's outright bad. Simplistic, but not totally cringe. He's talking with a moron so it's relative.

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #134 on: August 08, 2022, 06:21:11 AM »
Watching that interview...there's nothing he says that's outright bad. Simplistic, but not totally cringe. He's talking with a moron so it's relative.

He said plenty of outright bad things. Who he's talking to is irrelevant. Just to be clear:

- The war started when Russia invaded Ukraine
- NATO's promise to Gorbachev was to not expand into East Germany
- Taiwan is not part of China

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 557
« Reply #135 on: August 08, 2022, 06:32:06 AM »
Roger Waters is a twat. Now, David Gilmour? Such a man! I would follow him to hell and back, I would!
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1238
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #136 on: August 08, 2022, 06:33:10 AM »
Pink Floyd is way, way overrated.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 557
« Reply #137 on: August 08, 2022, 06:44:24 AM »
Also very true.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
« Reply #138 on: August 08, 2022, 10:04:05 AM »

And still, no one is chatting this up. I was caught off guard when this played last week.
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

therealnod

• Brevity is
« Reply #139 on: August 08, 2022, 10:10:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

He said plenty of outright bad things. Who he's talking to is irrelevant. Just to be clear:

- The war started when Russia invaded Ukraine
- NATO's promise to Gorbachev was to not expand into East Germany
- Taiwan is not part of China
There's nothing he said there that disputes that there's a war between Russia and Ukraine and that Russia invaded Ukraine.
NATOs promise...yeah, that's what he said. Nearly all scholarship on the subject agrees that the US either made promises or gave the appearance of making promises not to expand any further east. But also agrees that the US had it's fingers crossed at the time so it doesn't count. So there's really nothing wrong with what he said there.
Taiwan is officially recognized as a part of China. As contentious an issue as that may be, what he said there is true. They weren't exactly having a nuanced discussion of a complex situation there.
These things are pretty clear. Disagreeing with them is a thing people do.
The guy's said some pretty stupid shit before but he didn't really do that here. Had it gone on much longer he almost certainly would have,

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #140 on: August 08, 2022, 10:24:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

That's like saying that "Iraq didn't have WMDs" is regurgitating pro-Iraq talking points. Why would you keep trusting the sources that gave you that information? They also said Iraq had "incubator babies" and Saddam was putting people in shredders.

Do you know America backed a coup in Ukraine in 2014 that overthrew the democratically elected government? And America helped neo-Nazis gain power there to use against Russia? This war is a proxy US war with Russia. The US wants regime change in Russia and China because those two countries are not vassals of the US like most of Western Europe and lot of East Asia are. America doesn't actually care about the human rights of Muslims in Xinjiang or the sovereignty of Taiwan except in terms of how they serve America's geopolitical issues. America wants to destabilize and balkanize these two countries, which is why it's so concerned with the affairs of these two countries. It's not for reasons of benevolence.

therealnod

• Brevity is
« Reply #141 on: August 08, 2022, 10:44:06 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

And still, no one is chatting this up. I was caught off guard when this played last week.
It's definitely a bad idea of a bill. It's no surprise coming from Cuellar and Stefanik. But Pelosi and Clyburn badly wanted Cuellar to win in Texas because they don't care about you. I don't think that bill is going to make it out of the house and it probably wouldn't pass the senate, but they'll keep trying.

therealnod

• Brevity is
« Reply #142 on: August 08, 2022, 10:56:02 AM »
The Usual Suspects
What may be a surprise, however, is who else is backing the bill: the Coalition for Workforce Innovation (CWI), formed in 2019 as part of a wave of corporate pushback to a surge of labor organizing in exploitative industries across the economy. CWI in particular was formed in the wake of advancements in California labor law that threatened to end misclassification of independent contractors across a host of sectors and has since swelled in size. It boasts a sprawling roster of member companies that spans multiple sectors and includes major corporations such as Amazon, Walmart, Target, Google, Apple, Microsoft, Facebook, Uber, Lyft, TaskRabbit, Postmates, and FedEx, as well as trade groups such as the Retail Industry Leaders Association.
https://www.vice.com/en/article/wxnn4q/conservative-democrat-introduces-labor-bill-that-would-exempt-millions-from-a-minimum-wage

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #143 on: August 08, 2022, 11:12:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

That's like saying that "Iraq didn't have WMDs" is regurgitating pro-Iraq talking points. Why would you keep trusting the sources that gave you that information? They also said Iraq had "incubator babies" and Saddam was putting people in shredders.

Do you know America backed a coup in Ukraine in 2014 that overthrew the democratically elected government? And America helped neo-Nazis gain power there to use against Russia? This war is a proxy US war with Russia. The US wants regime change in Russia and China because those two countries are not vassals of the US like most of Western Europe and lot of East Asia are. America doesn't actually care about the human rights of Muslims in Xinjiang or the sovereignty of Taiwan except in terms of how they serve America's geopolitical issues. America wants to destabilize and balkanize these two countries, which is why it's so concerned with the affairs of these two countries. It's not for reasons of benevolence.

I'm not going through the motions with you so I'll just applaud you for keeping an open mind. Just make sure your brains don't fall out of your cranium.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -62
« Reply #144 on: August 08, 2022, 09:48:13 PM »
From what I've witnessed in my life, one of the biggest differences between the hard left and hard right is that the hard right is good at reaching a wider audience while the hard left is full of pretentious windbags who seemingly go out of their way to alienate anyone who isn't perfectly in lockstep with them.
The right is willing to grind.
The left refuses to participate unless all their dreams will come true RIGHT NOW.

I vote Democrat, which I guess is probably bad or something? Maybe voting at all is bad?
 I don't even fucking know what pleases you turds. I want what's best for everyone, I'm pro Union, pro Healthcare, pro reproductive rights, pro LGBTQ+ rights but it's just not enough. Anytime I encounter internet "leftists" they're just the most insufferable fucking people. If I say I'm voting for whichever is the most leftist candidate available it doesn't mean I think they're a golden god or going to usher us into utopia RIGHT NOW, it just means I at least don't want more hyper-right judges being appointed.

I'm sorry you can't have your flawless utopia literally fucking overnight, we're gonna have to fucking grind for it and that's gonna mean making some ugly decisions now and then you fucking crybabies. Jesus fucking christ.

therealnod

• Brevity is
« Reply #145 on: August 08, 2022, 11:47:02 PM »
From what I've witnessed in my life, one of the biggest differences between the hard left and hard right is that the hard right is good at reaching a wider audience while the hard left is full of pretentious windbags who seemingly go out of their way to alienate anyone who isn't perfectly in lockstep with them.
The left refuses to participate unless all their dreams will come true RIGHT NOW.

I vote Democrat, which I guess is probably bad or something? Maybe voting at all is bad?
 I don't even fucking know what pleases you turds. I want what's best for everyone, I'm pro Union, pro Healthcare, pro reproductive rights, pro LGBTQ+ rights but it's just not enough. Anytime I encounter internet "leftists" they're just the most insufferable fucking people. If I say I'm voting for whichever is the most leftist candidate available it doesn't mean I think they're a golden god or going to usher us into utopia RIGHT NOW, it just means I at least don't want more hyper-right judges being appointed.

I'm sorry you can't have your flawless utopia literally fucking overnight, we're gonna have to fucking grind for it and that's gonna mean making some ugly decisions now and then you fucking crybabies. Jesus fucking christ.
You know what the biggest difference is? The right is well-funded. Astroturfed. Your sanctimonious bullshit isn't going to change that. Your own party is helping the worst of the far right at this very fucking moment.
What you call "fucking overnight" are things people have been fighting for for over a century. Universal health care? You know there are countries that have had that for nearly 80 years, right? We got a private market driven Heritage Foundation proposal with no public option...when Dems had a super majority. Well over 100 years after the idea of a publicly funded health service was a popular idea. "Fucking overnight." How do you think we got labor protections? Unemployment insurance? Social Security? You wouldn't have any of that shit if not for "fucking crybabies."
How do you think you got far right judges? Either centrists or right-wingers have been in charge the whole time. This is the best they are willing to do. But we still got the guy who fucked over poor people as hard as he could elected to fix the problems he created, and he's not doing that. This is part of the reason it's easy for right-wingers to grift voters. All they really have to do is ask "how's that been working out for you?" They already know the answer and it's "not very fucking good." That's why you can't consistently win elections, because you don't help people. You call things like universal healthcare "utopia." Do you think it's wise to consider their survival a utopian ideal?
You only regurgitated stupid liberal talking points.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nFvhhCulaw

S.

• SLAP Pal
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #146 on: August 09, 2022, 01:06:11 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
You know what the biggest difference is? The right is well-funded. Astroturfed. Your sanctimonious bullshit isn't going to change that. Your own party is helping the worst of the far right at this very fucking moment.
What you call "fucking overnight" are things people have been fighting for for over a century. Universal health care? You know there are countries that have had that for nearly 80 years, right? We got a private market driven Heritage Foundation proposal with no public option...when Dems had a super majority. Well over 100 years after the idea of a publicly funded health service was a popular idea. "Fucking overnight." How do you think we got labor protections? Unemployment insurance? Social Security? You wouldn't have any of that shit if not for "fucking crybabies."
How do you think you got far right judges? Either centrists or right-wingers have been in charge the whole time. This is the best they are willing to do. But we still got the guy who fucked over poor people as hard as he could elected to fix the problems he created, and he's not doing that. This is part of the reason it's easy for right-wingers to grift voters. All they really have to do is ask "how's that been working out for you?" They already know the answer and it's "not very fucking good." That's why you can't consistently win elections, because you don't help people. You call things like universal healthcare "utopia." Do you think it's wise to consider their survival a utopian ideal?

To be fair trashpop has a point about internet leftists and about some student leftists. The radical left does have the tendency to get involved into fights with each other. Having discussions with young leftists radicals, usually students who are financed by their parents, can he frustrating. Then if you talk to them again ten years later they have turned out liberal or even conservative.

I completely disagree about the point that leftists „don‘t grind“. Have you ever been involved in protests or unionizing? BLM activists worked hard, Amazon workers put a lot on the line for their efforts to unionize. There are countless struggles going on, but you don‘t really hear about them because they don’t really fit the narrative of neither the liberal nor the conservative media. Only places like democracy now or jacobin will cover them.

therealnod

• Brevity is
« Reply #147 on: August 09, 2022, 01:51:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

To be fair trashpop has a point about internet leftists and about some student leftists. The radical left does have the tendency to get involved into fights with each other. Having discussions with young leftists radicals, usually students who are financed by their parents, can he frustrating. Then if you talk to them again ten years later they have turned out liberal or even conservative.

I completely disagree about the point that leftists „don‘t grind“. Have you ever been involved in protests or unionizing? BLM activists worked hard, Amazon workers put a lot on the line for their efforts to unionize. There are countless struggles going on, but you don‘t really hear about them because they don’t really fit the narrative of neither the liberal nor the conservative media. Only places like democracy now or jacobin will cover them.
There's nothing particularly fair to anyone there. It's not like Congress won't pass bills because of the online left or student activists. They don't pass them because it doesn't serve their interests. They don't work for you. It has not one thing to do with the internet or online leftists arguing with each other over inane things. Is there really anyone that thinks if online leftists would just be quiet Manchin would forgo putting land leases for oil companies into a climate bill and Sinema would be fine with eliminating the carried interest loophole? That's nonsensical. Yelling at people yelling at them actually helps validate their position. Funnily enough, it's online centrists carrying that water. We just saw one. Right here. I don't want to be fair to that.

therealnod

• Brevity is
« Reply #148 on: August 09, 2022, 02:13:25 AM »
"But at least we got something"

S.

• SLAP Pal
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #149 on: August 09, 2022, 03:46:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
There's nothing particularly fair to anyone there. It's not like Congress won't pass bills because of the online left or student activists. They don't pass them because it doesn't serve their interests. They don't work for you. It has not one thing to do with the internet or online leftists arguing with each other over inane things. Is there really anyone that thinks if online leftists would just be quiet Manchin would forgo putting land leases for oil companies into a climate bill and Sinema would be fine with eliminating the carried interest loophole? That's nonsensical. Yelling at people yelling at them actually helps validate their position. Funnily enough, it's online centrists carrying that water. We just saw one. Right here. I don't want to be fair to that.

Alright. I agree with you. But: I think that centrist guy is potentially on our side. He does try to vote for the most left candidate of the democrats and he checked out this thread… this shit is not about winning arguments on the internet it is about offering an alternative.