Author Topic: Details about the FC E-9 Mod  (Read 1199 times)

depresseddingo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Details about the FC E-9 Mod
« on: July 26, 2022, 02:06:09 AM »
Hello Guys,

I got me a nice Nikon FC E-9, took me a good while to find one but people seem to really like it, especially when it is modded, so I wanted to give it a try.

Now I am trying to collect as many information about the mod as possible, since I really don't want to fuck up that nice piece of glass.
It is kinda hard to find good info tho.

So if someone can give a hint of what tools work best and how to do it step by step, that would be amazing.

Cya

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
Re: Details about the FC E-9 Mod
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2022, 05:55:25 AM »
I've done this with my friend 10+ years ago but if I remember correctly, we just used a hacksaw to cut the long neck down and then used JB Weld to secure a glass-less UV filter to the back for threads.

doyle

• Rep: 210
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2022, 08:17:44 AM »
Yeah I did this 15 years ago as well and the only difference is that I think I unscrewed the front of the lens to take out the glass inside before sawing just to be safe.

I think now I wouldn't have done the mod though, basically trading a bit of chromatic aberration on the vignetting for some weird softness on the edges (although I could've fucked something up, who knows).

Jordan Wiens

• Rep: 48
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2022, 02:54:37 PM »
anyone ever put it on an hpx? ive seen this vid and it looks really close to an xtreme for the price, but not sure how it'd look on a 72mm camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR6lTKAXL9A

vig doesnt look nearly as good on this cam

https://youtu.be/m92xMmi15FE

does the hacksaw to the lens make the vig sharper? since the lens elements are closer to the camera.
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

green

• Rep: 12
    • ig avatar image
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2022, 04:42:53 AM »
the fc-e9 looks goofy but it's optically perfect as-is. works great with the panasonic hc-x1000 and jvc hm150. do not do this dumbass mod, you will not have a sharp image/vignette afterwards.

dipped

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2022, 02:19:23 AM »
Has anyone tried this fisheye on the sony ax700? I currently have the opteka, which is fine but i‘m trying to look for something a little wider thats not as expensive as the mk1

depresseddingo

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2022, 03:18:29 AM »
the fc-e9 looks goofy but it's optically perfect as-is. works great with the panasonic hc-x1000 and jvc hm150. do not do this dumbass mod, you will not have a sharp image/vignette afterwards.

Thank's guys!

After all I decided to not try the mod.
Instead I got me some rods and a lens support system, to save the threads from ripping out.
The fisheye really works perfectly with the hm100 and the extra wight from the rod system also helps filming a little more stable with that small camera.

I'm really happy with the setup now.

Thejumpoff

• Rep: 4
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2022, 10:20:14 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Thank's guys!

After all I decided to not try the mod.
Instead I got me some rods and a lens support system, to save the threads from ripping out.
The fisheye really works perfectly with the hm100 and the extra wight from the rod system also helps filming a little more stable with that small camera.

I'm really happy with the setup now.

Any test footage of this setup? Super curious how it looks.

curb_cut

• Rep: 5
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2023, 09:50:05 AM »
do you have any footy on youtube or ig? i just snagged a hm150 off ebay and will be getting the e9 soon

Jordan Wiens

• Rep: 48
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2023, 10:27:34 AM »
do you have any footy on youtube or ig? i just snagged a hm150 off ebay and will be getting the e9 soon
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=114719.msg3780136#msg3780136
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans