Author Topic: Casper Brooker on Baker?  (Read 27340 times)

DannyDee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
Re: Casper Brooker on Baker?
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2022, 10:29:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
AD should pivot from a board brand to an After Effects/Premiere plug in brand where they sell you editing tools and footage of jellyfish so fans can produce their own inferior AD knockoff edits.
[close]

I think you're on to something. Why start a board brand as a filmer when they can sell tutorials and producer kits
[close]
I was half joking but I am surprised more filmers/editors with a following don't have this as  a side hustle. Id imagine a strobeck, johnny wilson, jacob harris level filmer's patreon would pop off with this kind of content.
I'm surprised outside of Spike and Josh Stewart more filmers didn't make big industry moves. Spike is on a different level, but Theories as a distro has helped launch some good brands and filmed some great stuff.

birdplops

• Rep: 25
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2022, 11:38:37 AM »
Yeah right and next up is Tom Knox on Polar. He's just hanging and riding a board until AD goes into full production

Think Tom Knox has been on Deluxe brands in a couple of recent clips.

BALAKOV

• Rep: 17
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2022, 11:46:10 AM »
I think this would be sick

LebowskisRug

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2022, 12:58:20 PM »
they just seem to be getting boards from the standard industry between sponsor flow sources.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2022, 02:36:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Yeah right and next up is Tom Knox on Polar. He's just hanging and riding a board until AD goes into full production
[close]
Could see Tom knox on krooked

Think Tom Knox has been on Deluxe brands in a couple of recent clips.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1095
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2022, 03:32:33 PM »
Unnecessary addition to baker if true.

Maybe he’s scared of starting a new brand

This coward wants to skate for the most what’s probably respected skateboard company in the entire history the sport rather than ordering some decks from BBS, opening a Shopify and hoping for the best (after having watched the previous version of effectively the same company fail)! What a fool!
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

fried

• Rep: 52
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2022, 07:48:35 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This coward wants to skate for the most what’s probably respected skateboard company in the entire history the sport rather than ordering some decks from BBS, opening a Shopify and hoping for the best (after having watched the previous version of effectively the same company fail)! What a fool!

Bailing on your best friends to be “UK” guy on an LA based brand seems kind wack. Even if it guarantees a steady check.

Atlantic drift will be fine as a board co. Plus all of those guys have corpo shoe sponsors + thrasher backing

skating isn’t a sport G.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2022, 11:04:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Bailing on your best friends to be “UK” guy on an LA based brand seems kind wack. Even if it guarantees a steady check.

Atlantic drift will be fine as a board co. Plus all of those guys have corpo shoe sponsors + thrasher backing

skating isn’t a sport G.

He’s been pretty open in interviews (and was a former Emerica UK guy) that Baker was what he was super into when he got into skating.    I don’t want him to be on Baker, but it’s not some left field choice

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2022, 12:15:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

skating isn’t a sport G.

what kinda job you got? are you 14?

SR ACF

• Rep: -291
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2022, 04:35:25 AM »
 Aside from the part that I agree with the bailing on your homie thing, is there anything that suggests Baker is a good career move for him? Like I can't think of any European skater whose career and life benefitted from getting on Baker. I mean what's Jacopo done since getting on? A couple nice cameo clips maybe. Actually has anybody not from or permanently relocating to California ever thrived under a BakerBoys brand? It feels so LA centric and last thing the world needs is Casper Brooker skating the same spots as every other dude.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2022, 04:39:27 AM »
Aside from the part that I agree with the bailing on your homie thing, is there anything that suggests Baker is a good career move for him? Like I can't think of any European skater whose career and life benefitted from getting on Baker. I mean what's Jacopo done since getting on? A couple nice cameo clips maybe. Actually has anybody not from or permanently relocating to California ever thrived under a BakerBoys brand? It feels so LA centric and last thing the world needs is Casper Brooker skating the same spots as every other dude.

Are you high?

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2022, 04:41:19 AM »

There's only been one, and how can you say Jacopo's career hasn't benefited? He gets paid to skate, and still lives in his home country. Honestly can't tell if you're trolling or not.

SR ACF

• Rep: -291
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2022, 04:44:13 AM »
Ok ok I'm not gonna dunk on Jacopo I love that he gets to be pro on Baker with a 90s output level. Just expected him to blow up way more I guess.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2022, 05:03:31 AM »
I'd say Dustin dollin thrived relocating to California and being under a bakerboys brand. Casper, the people at baker and AD are all adults I'm sure they can figure their own lives out for themselves. What's actually the worst that could happen for Casper? He skates in LA for a bit with people he looks up to while being paid by a company he likes. Yeah that would suck.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1292
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2022, 06:41:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Like I can't think of any European skater whose career and life benefitted from getting on Baker. I mean what's Jacopo done since getting on? A couple nice cameo clips maybe.
[close]

There's only been one, and how can you say Jacopo's career hasn't benefited? He gets paid to skate, and still lives in his home country. Honestly can't tell if you're trolling or not.

Ok ok I'm not gonna dunk on Jacopo I love that he gets to be pro on Baker with a 90s output level. Just expected him to blow up way more I guess.

Also clips in a couple bronze and spitfire vids. And guest clips in shake junt and baker vids focused on other riders.

Pretty good output for 3-4 years time imo. Plus he was posting on ig what felt like every other day for a bit. So much so that I'm glad he's kind of slowed down in that front.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2022, 07:55:45 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Baker's sick, and while iconic I don't think its the most respected brand in the history of the sport. Crailtap until the past 10 years was massive, early 90's world, and Powell Peralta were huge. And, I'd think the most respected brand in the industry is by far DLX.

I_Respect_Wood

• Rep: 10
    • HH avatar image
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2022, 08:08:10 AM »
AD should pivot from a board brand to an After Effects/Premiere plug in brand where they sell you editing tools and footage of jellyfish so fans can produce their own inferior AD knockoff edits.

THIS.. Def buying those plug ins
If I wasnt me, I never hang out with me...

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/qaL3qBBUWZRPXT5R7T" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/new-york-supreme-ben-kadow-qaL3qBBUWZRPXT5R7T">via GIPHY</a></p>

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2022, 08:13:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

skating isn’t a sport G.

damn, you really are fried. hit us back up when you graduate high school

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 725
  • Free Max B
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2022, 08:32:13 AM »
Not really sure what the issue is here…
Reynolds asking you to ride for baker isn’t like riding aws2.0 or boards or something equally as whack, that’s some shit. I’m sure his friends are happy for him.
Good for him, Baker will always be top tier.

Where is the Baker Supreme collab at tho. It’s time.
Supreme in the ransom font on tshirts and hoodies tf they waiting for. There’s enough dudes skating for both/ working the register at the shop that are pro for/ down with baker for it to make sense. I’m sure neckface will weasel his way in there when it inevitably happens.

Free max b
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 10:23:51 AM by Pete »
FREE MAX B

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2022, 09:04:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

skating isn’t a sport G.

I find it so funny how many people here have a parasocial relationship with skateboarding strangers and the brands that they represent. You have no idea if he’s “bailing on his homies”, that’s just a thing you made up. No one even knows if he’s on Baker or if they just gave him some boards! No one really knows if AD will even be a brand. And certainly no one knows HERE knows what is going on between these guys.

Of course skateboarding is a sport. What a boring and trite thing to say. Do you still have Consolidated “Don’t Do It” ads hanging up in your bedroom?

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2022, 09:08:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Baker's sick, and while iconic I don't think its the most respected brand in the history of the sport. Crailtap until the past 10 years was massive, early 90's world, and Powell Peralta were huge. And, I'd think the most respected brand in the industry is by far DLX.

I chose the phrase “skateboard company” because I wanted to make clear I was talking about a company with a name that goes on skateboard and people buy, apologies if that wasn’t clear. DLX is bigger and more successful company but none of their brands compare to the clout of Baker imo.

I’m not even a huge fan of Baker. They came around after I was more or less an adult and their early image of debauchery and beefing with minimum wage security workers or whatever was a huge turnoff. But yeah, the dust has settled and it’s hard to think of another name on a skateboard which has the same relevance in 2022 as it did it 2001.

fried

• Rep: 52
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2022, 09:45:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

skating isn’t a sport G.
[close]

damn, you really are fried. hit us back up when you graduate high school

Just graduated, what up.

For the record I love baker, always have. Check my avatar.

I just think Casper on AD will be doper than on baker. They’re starting a board brand, Tom Knox isn’t going to skate for krooked or primitive

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 104
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2022, 10:16:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I don't think you can count deluxe as a 'brand' anymore than TumYeto or Dwindle or any other distributor, they just make and distribute brands. Unless you're going to make DLX merch or have a DLX team they're not really in the conversation. They're an institution and well respected for a reason but not a brand.

I don't think Baker is most respected of all time but definitely in contention for one of the most respected brands 2000 onward and maybe the only one of their peers of that era that still hold up

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2022, 10:34:57 AM »
Mike Arnold on deathwish
;D I'm glad I'm not the only one

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1292
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2022, 10:52:29 AM »
I think Anti Hero has been the most consistent brand since it's inception. It never aggressively set the whole industry on fire where it seemed like 75% of skateboarding turned into clones like fans of Baker or Girl, but it remained sick throughout it all at least since I've been skating. I started in 2001 so correct me if I'm wrong. As much as I love Baker (started skating right at its inception), the era where Dee and Cyril were their top new pros seemed pretty uninspired and it did seem like they were slacking around then. They have since made a huge bounce back and I love it.

rukes

• Rep: 216
  • Yabba dabba doo
« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2022, 03:40:19 PM »
Man, I tell ya, the porcelain is gonna get sprayed next time I take a shit after digesting the spicy takes in this thread.

Casper Brooker is cool
Baker is cool
An AD board brand would be cool
The ISLE guys all going to other brands would also be cool
Jacopo is cool
Reynolds is cool
Tom Knox is cool

There's only positives here.

Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

DanCorteseFromMTVSports

• Rep: 280
« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2022, 10:30:39 PM »
I think Anti Hero has been the most consistent brand since it's inception. It never aggressively set the whole industry on fire where it seemed like 75% of skateboarding turned into clones like fans of Baker or Girl, but it remained sick throughout it all at least since I've been skating. I started in 2001 so correct me if I'm wrong. As much as I love Baker (started skating right at its inception), the era where Dee and Cyril were their top new pros seemed pretty uninspired and it did seem like they were slacking around then. They have since made a huge bounce back and I love it.
It seemed after the first beauty and the beast 75% of Girl turned into clones/wanted to be on Anti-Hero

honey island

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2022, 11:47:57 PM »
anti-hero is basically harley-davidson

Groondor the Orc

• Rep: -103
  • Doper than Joey Bast’s shelltoes
« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2022, 12:17:58 AM »
Riding for Baker and filming with Beagle. Who wouldn't want to? Ideally in the post 90s weed and flatbills era, but I'd take today too.

Phosphoresence

« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2022, 02:09:37 AM »
it’s pretty fucking unfair to just assume that casper ditched the ad project and hopped on the baker train. surely there are any number of reasons why he’s made the move. maybe ad is done? maybe they all decided it wasn’t worth it. maybe some of them got better offers that they couldn’t turn down? maybe jake harris pulled out? maybe. maybe. maybe.

anyway casper on baker looks like a nice thing.