Author Topic: Shuv into grinds/slides  (Read 637 times)

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
Shuv into grinds/slides
« on: August 23, 2022, 12:14:04 AM »
Any tips?

I have a good amount of flip-in ledge tricks, and am generally comfortable playing around with new ones. But shuv ins feel so awkward to try.

My flatground shuvs (bs, sw bs and fs) are fine, high enough for the ledges I skate. But they're pretty slow which is nice for a floaty flatground one, but seems like people who shuv in make it spin kinda fast. I can't do that unless I hang some toe off the board which makes it flip when I try the shuv in. Normally my back foot for bs shuvs reg and switch is exactly like an ollie.

How do you approach these? Do I just have to do a fuckload of shuv 5050s in every orientation before trying shit like shuv nosegrinds, shuv 5-0s, sw shuv nosegrinds, fakie shuv nosegrinds/5-0s etc?

silhouette

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
Re: Shuv into grinds/slides
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2022, 12:55:46 AM »
I'm not especially good at those but for shoves into slides, I'll usually just pretend I'm doing the corresponding (popped) bigspin like I normally would on flat, but then catch it at the right moment when the desired part of the board is over the ledge and shift my weight to lock onto it. For instance switch bigspin noseslides I treat exactly like a switch frontside bigspin just with the extra step of a ledge in the middle, or the few times I've bothered with nollie bigspin noseslides (on low curbs) before, I could always naturally lock into them by just thinking nollie bigspin from a normal nollie noseslide approach. From that point on it's all about approaching the ledge with the correct angle and speed. Seems like what you want is your lower body popping and catching the flatground trick, all the while your upper body controls direction and posture in order to lock into the trick ideally like you would if you were just ollieing in.

Grinds are probably different, I always looked at it like if you can do your trick up a manual pad and consistently land in the desired manny or nosemanny then into five-o or nosegrind is going to be just the same except you'll have to aim a bit better and be perfectly positioned.

But I think for every trick in, you kind of have to go with a trick that you can actually do really well on flat to the point of not having to think about it and then basically deceive your brain into thinking that you're really just ollieing into your ledge trick, when your lower body actually performs something different. Then from that point on it really just comes down to one's control on both the trick in and the ledge trick.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 01:07:31 AM by silhouette »

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2022, 01:04:42 AM »
I figured you'd have something helpful to say. Thanks!

Have done a few (snails pace) bigspin fs noses before but I feel like I have to think of it more like a shuv fs nose otherwise it just doesn't work at all. Nollie bigspin noseslide works pretty well though, especially if you go at a pretty big angle.

I think my main issue is getting the shuv to spin a little faster without half flipping.

Was dicking around earlier today and somehow managed to land on and almost roll away from a sw bs shuv sw fs nosegrind which was really surprising. That plus this post by free skate mag really got me wanting to learn some shuv into grinds/slides properly, in the right order considering I've never done a regular shuv in that I can recall lol.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Chcd8fzjuZX/

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2022, 01:11:53 AM »
Only ever done a few, ss fs shove bs 5050 is the only one I still kinda have.
Really wanna get that to switch crook someday.
Try bigspin front boards?

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2022, 01:21:13 AM »
I think on the 'basic' pop shove into slides I'm not going to be able to help much, I never really did those and so they're still relatively foreign (I did go through the typical 'pop shove-it 50 in all stances' little kid phase eons ago but that was short-lived and I most likely won't even try that trick now). But most people I've seen do pop shoves into front noseslide or nosegrind indeed do look like they don't specifically go for bigspin and just trust the pop then stomp as the board comes around (bigspin technique on the other hand I could see working for pop shove-it f/s crooks to fakie).

Maybe anything frontside shove/bigspin based is easier to control because I feel like your back foot will want to insist on pushing and guiding the board around for longer on those if that makes sense. Backside pop shove-it the board instantly escapes your back foot, frontside pop shove-it happens in front of you and you have some leeway where you can use your heel to keep pushing against the griptape or rail and remain in control for an extra split second, that probably makes a difference if you're trying to minimize overthinking the start of the trick to instead fully focus on your desired catch then slamming into position on the ledge.

Also I feel like most of the time with tricks like this, unless you're a machine then the spot will dictate a lot - every once in a while you'll run into specific ledges that are the perfect height and shape for a specific variation and then you'll get results 10x faster than if you were consistently trying every possible kind of move on more or less adequate random ledges.

fur lined sea

• Rep: 223
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2022, 02:03:44 AM »
Also I feel like most of the time with tricks like this, unless you're a machine then the spot will dictate a lot - every once in a while you'll run into specific ledges that are the perfect height and shape for a specific variation and then you'll get results 10x faster than if you were consistently trying every possible kind of move on more or less adequate random ledges.

Like always, such good advice.

There are certain ledges I can bigspin fs nose pretty comfortably, then I'll go to some other ledge and I'm missing every single one. Some attempts they begin flipping over and it's like I've completely lost the trick. Height and angle of the ground (amongst other things) play a big factor in these tricks. After a while you'll be able to feel this out and not stress over every ledge.

The main tip I can give, which sounds so simple, but is so true in this case, is to really just commit. You can't half ass a pop shuv nosegrind or fakie shuv nosegrind. Anytime I try feel one of these tricks out (by trying to put only one foot one for example) I get a bad shinner. Keep a close eye on the foot you want on the ledge (eg front foot for pop shuv nosegrind) and just slam/place it in there. Usually the worst case is sticking and running out of the trick. You're less likely to get caught up with your board pin balling between your legs. That shit hurts and easily puts you off the trick.

I can only really do nollie/fakie/reg bs shuvs into grinds and slides. Still haven't figured out front shuv into anything. What Silhouette said about front shuvs kind of dangling in front is what puts me off committing to those. With bs shuvs I find they're easier since they spin quicker so there's less time to think and bail. Plus my front shuvs are kinda garbage compared to my pop shuvs.

Some of them you'll need to play around with angle and how much you need to pop. Pop shuv bs noseslide is a perfect example of this. It's frustrating to begin with but once you figure it out they become so fun.

If you're already doing flip in stuff just focus on the shuv in tricks you want. I've never done a pop shuv 50 or 5-0 (that I can recall) or bigspin boardslide in my life (definitely haven't done one of these). If I have the right ledge I'll do pop shuv nosegrind and bigspin fs nose all day long. Pop shuv nosegrind is up there with nollie crook; it's one of the best feeling ledge tricks.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 02:16:47 AM by larry leadfoot »
Globes Opinion made me depressed for years.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2022, 02:37:39 AM »
^ You got me thinking about the shove-it quickness thing and I just consciously realized, maybe that's why I'm thinking of those tricks as close to bigspins; for bigspins one usually wants (and automatically does) a fast rotation of the board that they can catch at the peak then turn around, whereas I can imagine by thinking just pop shove-it, they're probably going to get one of those floater ones - which I might work for certain variations but probably suck for most, since you're trying to clear ledge height with the board already back to your feet, ready to lock into position.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2022, 04:08:20 AM »
I think you can half ass a pop shove nosegrind as a few years ago I had some weird leg troubles related to back troubles and could shove nosegrind easier than Ollie 5-0.
Anyway few little things I've noticed in my experience. You can shove or flip into some ledge tricks as easily as Ollie depending on what your natural style is. So for me kickflip and front shove naturally want to go into a back 5050 and pop shove and heelflip want to go to frontside grind and will pretty much go straight onto the ledge with minimal effort, often without even much catch.
Also are you more of a shove it to nosegrind or 5-0 person? I think easiest way to figure it out is try go to Manny on flat or up a curb. I think most people assume 5-0 will be easier but I personally found them to be so much more effort than shove/front shove to nosegrind/manual.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2022, 04:20:46 AM »
^ Pop shove manny is definitely harder than pop shove nosemanny. By only so much, but physically it takes a bit more and is less intuitive unless one really has a predisposition (e.g.. does back truck tricks only or generally tends to lean back a lot).

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2022, 02:25:38 PM »
Thanks everyone hopefully expanding my bag asap