Author Topic: Problems with USA skateboarding team  (Read 32484 times)

Rune Spliffberg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 107
Re: Problems with USA skateboarding team
« Reply #300 on: August 05, 2022, 05:47:49 AM »
getting back to the topic at hand, i've worked with brink in the past, and disregarding all the petty things he does here on slap, strictly from a business standpoint, i am so glad they stiffed you. you had it coming.

warmonke

• Rep: 43
« Reply #301 on: August 05, 2022, 05:55:51 AM »
Pretty impressive that even after 11 pages Brink still manages to kook himself harder and harder every time he posts. The work of a true artist

Coping Grinder

• Rep: 16
« Reply #302 on: August 05, 2022, 06:13:32 AM »
As they say on Twitter, hard to believe we have free access to this sort of entertainment on a daily basis. Viva la Slap

BRINK

• Rep: -937
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #303 on: August 05, 2022, 09:51:07 AM »
getting back to the topic at hand, i've worked with brink in the past, and disregarding all the petty things he does here on slap, strictly from a business standpoint, i am so glad they stiffed you. you had it coming.

Lmao where did you work with me? And yeah … I’m sure I was soooo bad that I deserve a crime (wage theft) committed against me. Don’t care about or need the money though. Just airing these goons out because I’m not the only person they are doing it to.

Ghost Face

• Rep: 108
« Reply #304 on: August 05, 2022, 11:54:18 AM »
Didn't take long to appoint a new head.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1126565/usa-skateboarding-appoints-new-chair

"USA Skateboarding (USAS) has confirmed the appointment of Don Bostick as its new chair following the departure of Gary Ream, revealed exclusively by insidethegames."

Let the Slap investigations begin.

Jerrys Kid : "I work at my real job like I'm a pro skater. Years of work can be summarized to about 3 minutes worth of actual achievements."

lurker_and_poster

• Rep: 27
« Reply #305 on: August 05, 2022, 12:43:19 PM »
Didn't take long to appoint a new head.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1126565/usa-skateboarding-appoints-new-chair

"USA Skateboarding (USAS) has confirmed the appointment of Don Bostick as its new chair following the departure of Gary Ream, revealed exclusively by insidethegames."

Let the Slap investigations begin.

Thanks to the true skate gods it was a fair, open and free selection process - and they choose the best human being after Gary ream to present skateboarding on a global scale,
„Shitshow it is“ Yoda said.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 659
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #306 on: August 05, 2022, 12:51:50 PM »
Glad we were able to keep one of Ream's cronies in charge. I wouldn't want it any other way.

Dude is in his 70s and is a former slalom/downhill racer who has dedicated his life to the mainstreaming of "action sports."
https://www.wcsk8.com/don-bostick/

« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 01:00:37 PM by TheLurper »

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

BRINK

« Reply #307 on: August 05, 2022, 01:12:51 PM »
Glad we were able to keep one of Ream's cronies in charge. I wouldn't want it any other way.

Dude is in his 70s and is a former slalom/downhill racer who has dedicated his life to the mainstreaming of "action sports."
https://www.wcsk8.com/don-bostick/

He’s also been chair for a few weeks now and still hasn't paid out the former staff. Refuses to talk to us about it even.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1064
« Reply #308 on: August 05, 2022, 01:17:07 PM »
That name has been around forever in skateboarding but I never knew what for. Anything note worthy about the guy?

thebacker

« Reply #309 on: August 05, 2022, 01:25:25 PM »
As they say on Twitter, hard to believe we have free access to this sort of entertainment on a daily basis. Viva la Slap

WHAT WILL THEY DO NEXT?!

Rune Spliffberg

• Rep: 107
« Reply #310 on: August 05, 2022, 01:32:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Lmao where did you work with me? And yeah … I’m sure I was soooo bad that I deserve a crime (wage theft) committed against me. Don’t care about or need the money though. Just airing these goons out because I’m not the only person they are doing it to.

yea lemme just dox myself to the guy who wants to air out someone else's family's dirty laundry on a public forum.

Miller92

• Rep: -282
« Reply #311 on: August 05, 2022, 02:08:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

yea lemme just dox myself to the guy who wants to air out someone else's family's dirty laundry on a public forum.

lmao

BRINK

« Reply #312 on: August 05, 2022, 02:22:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I don’t need to know who you are. But you made a claim that I’d like to understand and address. Maybe it’s valid, maybe it isn't, maybe you are completely lying. My career (actually 2 careers simultaneously since 2004 … writing and marketing) has gone really well and continues to do so. My resume speaks for itself. If I was so awful, professionally this certainly wouldn’t be the case. What did I do that I deserve a crime to be committed against me and not paid for my work … along with multiple other employees going through the same? Send a wiseass email? Lmao. Do you have a reason to fear your identity being public even if that were my intent?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 02:40:49 PM by BRINK »

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 167
« Reply #313 on: August 05, 2022, 02:49:50 PM »
I don’t really have a dog in this, but I will say it would be nice to have some proper folks running these orgs like USA Skateboarding.

Say what you want about competition, but its what most people see when it comes to skating, and I’d rather have it repped by someone decent than these con artists still behind the wheel.

It’s like Tony Hawk - it’s kinda silly he’s the only skater most people in the world know, but we can all agree he’s a pretty okay guy and reps skating extremely well… we need that in an exec team…

BRINK

« Reply #314 on: August 05, 2022, 03:07:22 PM »
I don’t really have a dog in this, but I will say it would be nice to have some proper folks running these orgs like USA Skateboarding.

Say what you want about competition, but its what most people see when it comes to skating, and I’d rather have it repped by someone decent than these con artists still behind the wheel.

It’s like Tony Hawk - it’s kinda silly he’s the only skater most people in the world know, but we can all agree he’s a pretty okay guy and reps skating extremely well… we need that in an exec team…

I agree with you. Heres the thing though …. Most proper folks don’t want to be involved. And with all the drama … the last of the “proper” folks (or closest to them) are probably gone/leaving. Whether you view me as proper or not … the og staff that’s been there the last few years had some legit people who tried really hard. I personally think its all downhill and will get even weirder from here.

If the org even survives the next few weeks, Bostick and the existing board certainly won’t be bringing in anyone proper. They are all goons who are so far removed from skateboarding it’s ridiculous. Shit’s gotten really dark over there. Worst and weirdest experience I’ve had in my entire career in and out of skate. I don’t even know how the existing people are even allowed to be there by the usopc, safe sport, etc. Its pretty gross. Lots of shady shit happening.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 03:19:45 PM by BRINK »

Sketch Hitchcock

« Reply #315 on: August 05, 2022, 03:18:14 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I agree with you. Heres the thing though …. Most proper folks don’t want to be involved. And with all the drama … the last of the “proper” folks (or closest to them) are probably gone/leaving. Whether you view me as proper or not … the og staff that’s been there the last few years had some legit people who tried really hard. I personally think its all downhill and will get even weirder from here.

It seems like involving someone like Tony Hawk who has the stature and reach to effect change would be the move.  Extremely silly comparison, but sort of the Jon Stewart if you will of skating, a voice of the people who can speak truth to power and get shit done.

If skating operated anything like other industries, Jim Thiebaud or another universally respected, iconic figure would step in and right the ship.  This is all just bad for business.

BRINK

« Reply #316 on: August 05, 2022, 03:21:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

It seems like involving someone like Tony Hawk who has the stature and reach to effect change would be the move.  Extremely silly comparison, but sort of the Jon Stewart if you will of skating, a voice of the people who can speak truth to power and get shit done.

If skating operated anything like other industries, Jim Thiebaud or another universally respected, iconic figure would step in and right the ship.  This is all just bad for business.

Edited my post while you replied. So there’s more up there. Yes in theory Tony could be a catalyst for change … but in many cases … one person, or even many trying to do the right thing, no matter who they are, end up being muted or having their hands tied and helpless. Which is how it got to the point its at now. Its suuuuuper frustrating … just typical corporate political bullshit. Sometimes the worst people end up prevailing or invincible from repercussions. Like Trump or some shit. Believe it or not I’m still the skate rat in there banging my head against a wall in disbelief of what's going on. I get cool jobs and titles and paychecks … but I’ll still never be the guy at the exec level anywhere in skateboarding. I’m too “core” believe it or not. And I don’t play the corpo game and smile and shake hands and take people shit so no one wants me there anyway.

PS … look what happens to me when I come speak the truth here. And this place is just a goof. No one truly wants the Jon Stewart. Not industry people anyway. Or if they do they want it in secret. That’s why you have to sort of build yourself up independently enough to have a voice … maybe like a Shaun King or something. Again … in theory you are correct. Its a huge challenge and long road to accomplish that though.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 03:34:13 PM by BRINK »

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #317 on: August 05, 2022, 03:48:52 PM »

Tony Hawk's dad was all about the mainstreaming of skateboarding. His goal was to turn skateboarding into a regular sport. The skateboard association Hawk's dad created has a tag line about wanting to be the Little League of skateboarding. Not cool at all. These goals are no different than Bostick's.

I don't have a huge issue with Tony Hawk, but his pro-Olympics stance is not cool. He is personable for sure, I liked the video games, but he is a contest skater through and through. And, he is nowhere near the Jon Stewart of skateboarding and does not speak truth to power (I'm not necessarily sure what the mean in this context). And, if we are speaking up for LGBT people here, let's not forget how hard Birdhouse tried to push Von Werne back into the closet.

The fact of the matter is that there are almost zero people with credibility in USA Skateboarding, the ISF, and all these other Olympic committees. The whole thing is generally made up of contest skaters and kooks chasing after that sweet NBC/Olympic money/power.

It is primarily people who were more than willing to sell skateboarding for their own benefit, regardless of the repercussions to the skate-scene and everyone in it. They either drank the kool-aid that the Olympics were great, believed the disorganization versioned of skateboarding was terrible, or didn't care how bad the Olympics could be for skateboarding as long as they got theirs.

No new head is going to right a ship when everyone on the ship is determined to go the wrong the wrong direction. The Olympics is fucking nonsense. There is not a single person from DLX or High Speed Dist. that is a part of these shit committees and I'd guess that there is probably good reason for this.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 04:14:09 PM by TheLurper »

"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Sketch Hitchcock

« Reply #318 on: August 05, 2022, 03:54:09 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Tony Hawk's dad was all about the mainstreaming of skateboarding to a regular sport. The skateboard association Hawk's dad created has tag line about wanting to be the Little League of Skateboarding. Not cool at all. The exact same ideology and goals as Bostick.

I don't have a huge issue with Hawk, but his pro-Olympics stance is not cool. And, he is nowhere near the Jon Stewart of skateboarding and does not speak truth to power (I'm not necessarily sure what the mean in this context).

The fact of the matter is that there are almost zero people with credibility in USA Skateboarding, the ISF, and all these other Olympic committees. The whole thing is generally made up of contest skaters and kooks chasing after that NBC/Olympic money.

It is primarily people who were more than willing to sell skateboarding for their own benefit, regardless of the repercussions to everyone else. They either drank the kool-aid that the Olympics were great or didn't care how bad they were.

No new head is going to right a ship with a bad ideology that is filled with a lot of bad actors. The Olympics is fucking nonsense. There is a reason not a single person from DLX or High Speed Dist. is a part of this shit.

I agree with everything you said.  I feel I’m reaching for hypothetical solutions in a sea of doomed outcomes, which is a foolish endeavor that only makes me sound naive.  I feel that.

I spaced on the Frank Hawk angle.  Makes sense why Tony would stay away.

I’ll only say that Nicole Hause, one of Jim’s riders, is now a liason for USA Skateboarding, and many of his other Real team riders are involved in competition (Wilkins, Bottger etc), so it’s more than relevant to his interests.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -211
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #319 on: August 05, 2022, 04:01:55 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Tony Hawk's dad was all about the mainstreaming of skateboarding. His goal was to turn skateboarding into a regular sport. The skateboard association Hawk's dad created has a tag line about wanting to be the Little League of skateboarding. Not cool at all. This is exact same ideology and goals as Bostick and with the same ideology comes the same terrible practices.

I don't have a huge issue with Tony Hawk, but his pro-Olympics stance is not cool. He is personable for sure, I liked the video games, but he is a contest skater through and through. And, he is nowhere near the Jon Stewart of skateboarding and does not speak truth to power (I'm not necessarily sure what the mean in this context). If we are speaking up for LGBT people here, let's not forget how hard Birdhouse fucked Von Werne for being gay and how they tried to push him back into the closet.

The fact of the matter is that there are almost zero people with credibility in USA Skateboarding, the ISF, and all these other Olympic committees. The whole thing is generally made up of contest skaters and kooks chasing after that NBC/Olympic money.

It is primarily people who were more than willing to sell skateboarding for their own benefit, regardless of the repercussions to everyone else. They either drank the kool-aid that the Olympics were great or didn't care how bad they were.

No new head is going to right a ship when everyone on the ship is determined to go the wrong the wrong direction. The Olympics is fucking nonsense. There is not a single person from DLX or High Speed Dist. that is a part of this shit and probably for good reason.

Zion Wright?
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #320 on: August 05, 2022, 04:03:47 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Tony Hawk's dad was all about the mainstreaming of skateboarding. His goal was to turn skateboarding into a regular sport. The skateboard association Hawk's dad created has a tag line about wanting to be the Little League of skateboarding. Not cool at all. This is exact same ideology and goals as Bostick and with the same ideology comes the same terrible practices.

I don't have a huge issue with Tony Hawk, but his pro-Olympics stance is not cool. He is personable for sure, I liked the video games, but he is a contest skater through and through. And, he is nowhere near the Jon Stewart of skateboarding and does not speak truth to power (I'm not necessarily sure what the mean in this context). If we are speaking up for LGBT people here, let's not forget how hard Birdhouse fucked Von Werne for being gay and how they tried to push him back into the closet.

No new head is going to right a ship when everyone on the ship is determined to go the wrong the wrong direction. The Olympics is fucking nonsense. There is not a single person from DLX or High Speed Dist. that is a part of this shit and probably for good reason.

Zion Wright?

BRINK

« Reply #321 on: August 05, 2022, 04:30:47 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
. The Olympics is fucking nonsense. There is not a single person from DLX or High Speed Dist. that is a part of this shit and probably for good reason.

This is accurate.

my english is bad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • no hablo english
« Reply #322 on: August 05, 2022, 04:14:56 PM »
Let the USA skateboarding team Die

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #323 on: August 05, 2022, 04:04:36 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Zion Wright’s on Team USA

my english is bad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • no hablo english
« Reply #324 on: August 05, 2022, 04:14:41 PM »
Let the USA skateboarding team Die

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #325 on: August 05, 2022, 04:05:37 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Zion Wright?

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #326 on: August 05, 2022, 04:07:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Tony Hawk's dad was all about the mainstreaming of skateboarding to a regular sport. The skateboard association Hawk's dad created has tag line about wanting to be the Little League of Skateboarding. Not cool at all. The exact same ideology and goals as Bostick.

I don't have a huge issue with Hawk, but his pro-Olympics stance is not cool. And, he is nowhere near the Jon Stewart of skateboarding and does not speak truth to power (I'm not necessarily sure what the mean in this context).

No new head is going to right a ship with a bad ideology that is filled with a lot of bad actors. The Olympics is fucking nonsense. There is a reason not a single person from DLX or High Speed Dist. is a part of this shit.
[close]

I agree with everything you said.  I feel I’m reaching for hypothetical solutions in a sea of doomed outcomes, which is a foolish endeavor that only makes me sound naive.  I feel that.

I’ll only say that Nicole Hause, one of Jim’s riders, is now a liason for USA Skateboarding, and many of his other Real team riders are involved in competition (Wilkins, Bottger etc), so it’s more than relevant to his interests.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #327 on: August 05, 2022, 04:42:30 PM »

He might be skating in the Olympics, but I do not see his name on any of the governing committees. I do not believe anyone from DLX or HighSpeed has a role with any power.

https://usaskateboarding.com/pages/governance
http://www.worldskate.org/about/organisation/executive-board.html
http://www.worldskate.org/about/organisation/discipline-commission/skateboarding-technical-commission.html

And, just to be clear, I do not think every single person with USA Skateboarding, the ISF, etc. is a complete kook. I disagree with all of them when it comes to the Olympics, but I do like a very very small number of them as people.

P.S. Ha, the temp server shut down def caused us all to repost a few times:D

Sketch Hitchcock

« Reply #328 on: August 05, 2022, 04:44:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Knew I was forgetting someone

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #329 on: August 06, 2022, 07:19:59 AM »

Truly a sight to behold, once agreat champion, now a study in mopishness
no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser