Author Topic: Problems with USA skateboarding team  (Read 32504 times)

therealnod

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 36
  • Brevity is
Re: Problems with USA skateboarding team
« Reply #360 on: August 07, 2022, 05:43:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
…Also skateboard sales rose 120% by june 2021 compared to the year prior.
[close]
Aye, @BRINK
Not to discount the effect that the Olympics had on skateboarding’s popularity with the public, and thereby sales, but I seem to recall a global pandemic or something, that may have also transpired in the lead-up to the Olympics.
Are we to presume that the need for individualized athletic activities that resulted from the need to socially distance contributed in no way to the commensurate, sizable uptick in sales?
Real question: no snark. Seeking clarification of your position.
[close]

They both most certainly contributed. But more proof of the Olympics’ contribution to that, sans pandemic, is only a year and a half away.
[close]
Do you know how statistics actually work?
[close]

Ya I think? Like say I took your mom on 4 dates and banged her on 3 of them … then statistically speaking I banged her 75% of the time? Is that correct?
[close]
No, "like say I did something that didn't happen" is not part of statistics. "Statistically speaking" is not statistics. You could have just written "no" and we wouldn't be having this ridiculous exchange.
[close]

I quite like it. Just cuz your mom is involved doesn’t make it ridiculous! Also when did I say anything close to what you quoted?
[close]
Dude, dude, the problem isn't "Just cuz your mom is involved." The problem is that it's something that hasn't happened. You could talk about banging your own mom on three out of four dates and it's the same problem if it didn't, in fact, happen.

I directly quoted you and your asking me when you said the exact thing you said. That's not a serious question.
[close]

Really don’t know your point. Provided a Y/Y skateboard equipment sales growth statistic. And know for a fact more parks have been built as a direct result of skateboarding being in the Olympics. Although I don’t know those stats off the top of my head. Not sure what part of that you are trying to counter. Or are you just one of those “disagree with Brink for sport” people? So brave.
You didn't provide the evidence of more skateparks being built beyond "I know for a fact." Year over year skateboard sales isn't evidence of that. You've got a high statistical bar to clear, which is why I asked the question that you obviously can't answer. "I know for a fact" is not a statistic, it's a naked assertion. To quote yourself "you thinking isn't a substitute for statistics."

BRINK

• Rep: -937
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #361 on: August 07, 2022, 06:27:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Aye, @BRINK
Not to discount the effect that the Olympics had on skateboarding’s popularity with the public, and thereby sales, but I seem to recall a global pandemic or something, that may have also transpired in the lead-up to the Olympics.
Are we to presume that the need for individualized athletic activities that resulted from the need to socially distance contributed in no way to the commensurate, sizable uptick in sales?
[close]

They both most certainly contributed. But more proof of the Olympics’ contribution to that, sans pandemic, is only a year and a half away.
[close]
[close]

Ya I think? Like say I took your mom on 4 dates and banged her on 3 of them … then statistically speaking I banged her 75% of the time? Is that correct?
[close]
No, "like say I did something that didn't happen" is not part of statistics. "Statistically speaking" is not statistics. You could have just written "no" and we wouldn't be having this ridiculous exchange.
[close]

I quite like it. Just cuz your mom is involved doesn’t make it ridiculous! Also when did I say anything close to what you quoted?
[close]
Dude, dude, the problem isn't "Just cuz your mom is involved." The problem is that it's something that hasn't happened. You could talk about banging your own mom on three out of four dates and it's the same problem if it didn't, in fact, happen.

I directly quoted you and your asking me when you said the exact thing you said. That's not a serious question.
[close]

Really don’t know your point. Provided a Y/Y skateboard equipment sales growth statistic. And know for a fact more parks have been built as a direct result of skateboarding being in the Olympics. Although I don’t know those stats off the top of my head. Not sure what part of that you are trying to counter. Or are you just one of those “disagree with Brink for sport” people? So brave.
[close]
You didn't provide the evidence of more skateparks being built beyond "I know for a fact." Year over year skateboard sales isn't evidence of that. You've got a high statistical bar to clear, which is why I asked the question that you obviously can't answer. "I know for a fact" is not a statistic, it's a naked assertion. To quote yourself "you thinking isn't a substitute for statistics."

They are 2 totally different statistics. I never said one was evidence of the other. And yes I know for a fact. Because I worked for USA Skateboarding for 4 years and know how many park projects happened and are happening. I said I don’t have a statistic for that. I gave you 2 concrete examples … which proves the fact. I don’t need “statistics” to know there Are oublic parks being built based on members of the USAS team alone. And could give a shit if you believe me or not. But to sit here and ACTUALLY think the Olympics haven't contributed to an increase of parks is actually dumber than you muddling up multiple points to try and be contrarian to what I’m saying. Do you know how reading actually works? 

therealnod

• Brevity is
« Reply #362 on: August 07, 2022, 06:30:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Aye, @BRINK
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

They are 2 totally different statistics. I never said one was evidence of the other. And yes I know for a fact. Because I worked for USA Skateboarding for 4 years and know how many park projects happened and are happening. I said I don’t have a statistic for that. I gave you 2 concrete examples … which proves the fact. I don’t need “statistics” to know there Are oublic parks being built based on members of the USAS team alone. And could give a shit if you believe me or not. But to sit here and ACTUALLY think the Olympics haven't contributed to an increase of parks is actually dumber than you muddling up multiple points to try and be contrarian to what I’m saying. Do you know how reading actually works?
You don't read your own shit, do you? You didn't give 2 statistics, and you're saying you don't need statistics while claiming someone skeptical of your claim is being ignorant of statistics you didn't use and claim you don't need.

BRINK

« Reply #363 on: August 07, 2022, 06:35:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Aye, @BRINK
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
You don't read your own shit, do you? You didn't give 2 statistics, and you're saying you don't need statistics while claiming someone skeptical of your claim is being ignorant of statistics you didn't use and claim you don't need.

Yes dummy. I gave ONE statistic. And the skatepark is the second. But I don’t have it. But it exists. 1 + 1 is 2. Regardless of 1 being presented and one not. I dont need a park statistic to prove at least 2 (aka MORE) skateparks have been built because of the olympics. No. More parks means more parks … right? So yes, that’s now a FACT. More skateparks exist because of the Olympics. Fact.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
« Reply #364 on: August 07, 2022, 06:44:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Aye, @BRINK
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Yes dummy. I gave ONE statistic. And the skatepark is the second. But I don’t have it. But it exists. 1 + 1 is 2. Regardless of 1 being presented and one not. I dont need a park statistic to prove at least 2 (aka MORE) skateparks have been built because of the olympics. No. More parks means more parks … right? So yes, that’s now a FACT. More skateparks exist because of the Olympics. Fact.

CORRELATION DOES NOT EQUAL CAUSATION

therealnod

• Brevity is
« Reply #365 on: August 07, 2022, 06:47:54 PM »
That's not how facts work, or statistics. Are there more skateparks today than there were in...1970? Yeah, there are. Is that directly because of the Olympics?

You're just telling me you don't need any statistical proof of your claims after chastising someone about statistics. Get ahold of yourself man.

BRINK

« Reply #366 on: August 07, 2022, 06:49:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Aye, @BRINK
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

CORRELATION DOES NOT EQUAL CAUSATION

Tokyo course was left to skate publicly. Guess that supports the FACTS too. Go do some research and prove me wrong. God damn y’all will talk any bullshit to disagree with me.

BRINK

« Reply #367 on: August 07, 2022, 06:51:35 PM »
That's not how facts work, or statistics. Are there more skateparks today than there were in...1970? Yeah, there are. Is that directly because of the Olympics?

You're just telling me you don't need any statistical proof of your claims after chastising someone about statistics. Get ahold of yourself man.

No I’m telling you there is physical proof. And I named 3 parks … aka MORE parks because of the Olympics. You’re joking now right? Telling me parks haven’t been built cuz of the Olympics? You know you can prove facts without statistics right? And I did both. Proved the uptick of board sales with a statistic and that more parks were built because of the Olympics with factual examples.

JRF

• Rep: 145
« Reply #368 on: August 07, 2022, 07:08:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I started Sober Mag after leaving Jenkem (trying to do a vision/blind thing). We did a couple articles (one anti-Olympics and one rip-off of Abbie Hoffman's "Steal This Book," which is all about how to survive with no budget; a Walker Ryan interview (an abridged version ran in PS118 and Sober ran the full-length version); Sasha (@kotoval), a dude from Russia was contributing short videos; and we started a skate-trip video "contest" eS/Studio Skateboards supported, but it was too much handle. I was working 70-80s a week in a non-skate career and my ex had some gnarly issues, which took up the rest of my energy. The mag just fell off the radar. I never even got to see the videos people sent in for the "contest" :(

I tried shifting things to PS118, but they went out of business overnight and after that happened I was over it. PS118 was fun (https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=78847.0) and could have been a cool little magazine that grew into something bigger.

I've always thought SLAP had more than enough talent to pull together a solid little magazine. If someone wants to start something, I'm still sitting on a few interviews/articles that were supposed to run in PS118.

Finally, isn't Carnie running the show up at KingShit King Skate? Or, did he cycle out when they changed the name?
[close]

Sounds like you were off to a good start, obviously having more help would’ve made things more ideal.. carnie is awesome, I roomed with him in a hotel in Melbourne for a week back in 2004, he was good company, a very interesting person. It would be nice to see a smaller print magazine in skateboarding again.. power edge and slap were two of the best skateboarding magazines in my opinion.
[close]

Carnie contacted me last week after he heard all about this USAS drama ... he has been avidly anti-Olympics since day one and we have been going back and forth ... maybe something will come out of it. Who knows.

If you and carnie could put together a self owned, grassroots style magazine that would be awesome! I’ve definitely enjoyed plenty of articles that you or carnie have written over the years. I think it could have potential for sure..
//////////

therealnod

• Brevity is
« Reply #369 on: August 07, 2022, 07:13:08 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

No I’m telling you there is physical proof. And I named 3 parks … aka MORE parks because of the Olympics. You’re joking now right? Telling me parks haven’t been built cuz of the Olympics? You know you can prove facts without statistics right? And I did both. Proved the uptick of board sales with a statistic and that more parks were built because of the Olympics with factual examples.

In what way have you proved that? You haven't. How many parks have closed in the same period of time? The reason to use statistics is that they help prove a claim you're making. But you admit you can't. And just saying "because of the Olympics therefore" is a fallacy called Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc. You seem to think you're dealing with a child or something. You're not.

I asked you one simple question that you have demonstrated you have insufficient knowledge to answer properly. We could easily just leave it there. Or not, I guess.

BRINK

« Reply #370 on: August 07, 2022, 07:15:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

In what way have you proved that? You haven't. How many parks have closed in the same period of time? The reason to use statistics is that they help prove a claim you're making. But you admit you can't. And just saying "because of the Olympics therefore" is a fallacy called Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc. You seem to think you're dealing with a child or something. You're not.

I asked you one simple question that you have demonstrated you have insufficient knowledge to answer properly. We could easily just leave it there. Or not, I guess.

All i said was more parks have been built (which is very different than “more parks exist”) because of the olympics (the tokyo course and the ilardi park being proof) … so that’s how I proved it. Then I said more equipment has been sold because of the olympics and both are absolutely true. You havent proved otherwise either so have at it.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
« Reply #371 on: August 07, 2022, 07:26:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

All i said was more parks have been built (which is very different than “more parks exist”) because of the olympics (the tokyo course and the ilardi park being proof) … so that’s how I proved it. Then I said more equipment has been sold because of the olympics and both are absolutely true. You havent proved otherwise either so have at it.

Do you not know what correlation does not equal causation means?   Just because two seemingly related things happened, it doesn’t mean one caused the other.   

I find it very hard to believe that more “equipment” was sold AFTER the Olympics than before in 2021 bc during the pandemic shops (at least my local) were doing very very well as everyone was buying up outdoor activities.   

I could very well posit then that desire to be outside more had an effect on city councils/budget makers who then allocated money to providing more park space to do those activities in.   In this scenario, it definitely happened during the Olympics (which I’m sure caused a little, but likely not sustain spike) but ultimately 2021’s outlier year was due to the pandemic

BRINK

« Reply #372 on: August 07, 2022, 07:30:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Do you not know what correlation does not equal causation means?   Just because two seemingly related things happened, it doesn’t mean one caused the other.   

I find it very hard to believe that more “equipment” was sold AFTER the Olympics than before in 2021 bc during the pandemic shops (at least my local) were doing very very well as everyone was buying up outdoor activities.   

I could very well posit then that desire to be outside more had an effect on city councils/budget makers who then allocated money to providing more park space to do those activities in.   In this scenario, it definitely happened during the Olympics (which I’m sure caused a little, but likely not sustain spike) but ultimately 2021’s outlier year was due to the pandemic

Its all good dudes. It doesn't matter. I know what I’ve seen working at usa skateboarding the last four years. And I believe I’ve seen an uptick in both based on research and what I have seen myself. I find it hard to fathom that someone wants to say a 120% growth in sales during 2021 had nothing to do with Tokyo and that parks directly linked to the games or olympians means more parks werent built but if you guys disagree, all good. Maybe with Paris on the horizon the evidence will be more clear one way or the other.

therealnod

• Brevity is
« Reply #373 on: August 07, 2022, 07:31:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

It's not up to me to prove otherwise because I didn't make the claim. You made a claim and you're supposed to provide the evidence that supports it. You're also the ass that told someone "you thinking isn't a substitute for statistics" while demonstrating no facility with the subject matter at all. I mean, c'mon man, I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt but you're not giving me anything to work with here. You're so confident in your claims but can't provide hard evidence beyond "I know for a fact." And you cited a skatepark built specifically for the Olympics as some kind of proof that the Olympics leads to more skateparks being built. Do I have that right?

BRINK

« Reply #374 on: August 07, 2022, 07:34:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
It's not up to me to prove otherwise because I didn't make the claim. You made a claim and you're supposed to provide the evidence that supports it. You're also the ass that told someone "you thinking isn't a substitute for statistics" while demonstrating no facility with the subject matter at all. I mean, c'mon man, I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt but you're not giving me anything to work with here. You're so confident in your claims but can't provide hard evidence beyond "I know for a fact." And you cited a skatepark built specifically for the Olympics as some kind of proof that the Olympics leads to more skateparks being built. Do I have that right?

I cited 2 parks which means the olympics most certainly lead to “more” skateparks being built. I’m sure I can find more. Are you going to somehow tell me 2 isn’t “more”.  Do I have that right?

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2207
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #375 on: August 07, 2022, 07:38:34 PM »
Goddamn it, I can’t quit this thread!

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

BRINK

« Reply #376 on: August 07, 2022, 07:41:32 PM »
Goddamn it, I can’t quit this thread!

There’s another where someone called me in to boost it from 5  to 10 pages because someone offered to drop footy at 10 pages. I should head over there now 😂

therealnod

• Brevity is
« Reply #377 on: August 07, 2022, 07:51:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

I cited 2 parks which means the olympics most certainly lead to “more” skateparks being built. I’m sure I can find more. Are you going to somehow tell me 2 isn’t “more”.  Do I have that right?
Which you claim is due *directly* because of the Olympics statistically without any statistical evidence, and one of those examples is a park built specifically for the Olympics which probably won't survive another year (that'd be my guess, it might already be torn down.) The question isn't if more things are happening, the question is why, which you claim is for a reason you can't provide evidence for. And again, you chastised someone for not being able to do something you admit you can't do yourself.

BRINK

« Reply #378 on: August 07, 2022, 07:55:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
Which you claim is due *directly* because of the Olympics statistically without any statistical evidence, and one of those examples is a park built specifically for the Olympics which probably won't survive another year (that'd be my guess, it might already be torn down.) The question isn't if more things are happening, the question is why, which you claim is for a reason you can't provide evidence for. And again, you chastised someone for not being able to do something you admit you can't do yourself.

Yes the park in Ilardi’s town and the Tokyo course are directly because of the Olympics. I never said that was “statistically”. Do you need a statistic to know why the Tokyo park was built? Or that the park in Ilardi’s town was built because if him and his involvement with Team USA? What statistic are you basing the timeline of the tearing down of the Tokyo course on?

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1596
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #379 on: August 07, 2022, 07:56:54 PM »

Robble robble, statistics rabble rabble, mom humping rabble rabble

Classic hamburgler
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 08:27:02 PM by pugmaster »
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

BRINK

« Reply #380 on: August 07, 2022, 07:59:56 PM »

Rabble rabble, statistics rabble rabble, mom humping rabble rabble

Classic hamburgler

😂

BRINK

« Reply #381 on: August 07, 2022, 08:02:28 PM »
I surrender! Everyone’s right everyone's wrong we’re all idiots.

Vans Showdown was rad today. Amazing selection of skaters from all walks of life. Watch it if you haven’t.

therealnod

• Brevity is
« Reply #382 on: August 07, 2022, 08:11:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Yes the park in Ilardi’s town and the Tokyo course are directly because of the Olympics. I never said that was “statistically”. Do you need a statistic to know why the Tokyo park was built? Or that the park in Ilardi’s town was built because if him and his involvement with Team USA? What statistic are you basing the timeline of the tearing down of the Tokyo course on?
Remember when I asked you if you knew how statistics actually works and you didn't immediately say no but proceeded to demonstrate that the answer to that question is decidedly no and kept going forward with said demonstration? You're still doing it while still having not banged my mother on 75% of the dates you didn't go on. Being really, really adamant that you believe something is true doesn't make that something true. I'll say it again, you were critical of someone's supposed ignorance of statistics and have abandoned any pretense of having any of your own as supporting evidence. Beyond phantom mom banging, of course.

BRINK

« Reply #383 on: August 07, 2022, 08:24:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
Remember when I asked you if you knew how statistics actually works and you didn't immediately say no but proceeded to demonstrate that the answer to that question is decidedly no and kept going forward with said demonstration? You're still doing it while still having not banged my mother on 75% of the dates you didn't go on. Being really, really adamant that you believe something is true doesn't make that something true. I'll say it again, you were critical of someone's supposed ignorance of statistics and have abandoned any pretense of having any of your own as supporting evidence. Beyond phantom mom banging, of course.

And I’ll say it again … they said they don’t think more skateparks were built because of the Olympics (or something close) and I named some that most certainly were. Who’s on first? It’s all good dude. Maybe were both right maybe were both wrong.

therealnod

• Brevity is
« Reply #384 on: August 07, 2022, 08:51:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

And I’ll say it again … they said they don’t think more skateparks were built because of the Olympics (or something close) and I named some that most certainly were. Who’s on first? It’s all good dude. Maybe were both right maybe were both wrong.
So no statistical evidence for your claim? You seemed pretty serious about that at one point, and then not. Why is it so hard to just say "I think so but I'm not sure. I can't really prove it"? It's a fine thing to say when you actually don't know something to the extent you can actually prove it. There ya go. I'm willing to be wrong if you are, but I'm not willing to pretend to be right if I'm not sure.

biaherl

• Rep: 267
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #385 on: August 07, 2022, 08:54:44 PM »
Skateboarding certainly doesn't need to sweep homeless camps, exploit laborers and whitewash our cities to have a good time.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1393
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #386 on: August 07, 2022, 08:57:47 PM »
Anyone remember that piece in SLAP mag that @whiteley  wrote about how we should have fewer skateparks or something to that effect?
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

BRINK

« Reply #387 on: August 07, 2022, 09:06:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
So no statistical evidence for your claim? You seemed pretty serious about that at one point, and then not. Why is it so hard to just say "I think so but I'm not sure. I can't really prove it"? It's a fine thing to say when you actually don't know something to the extent you can actually prove it. There ya go. I'm willing to be wrong if you are, but I'm not willing to pretend to be right if I'm not sure.

I gave multiple examples to prove it. Not sure why you keep going on about it. Get over it.

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 984
« Reply #388 on: August 07, 2022, 09:17:15 PM »
i started wordle w/ "brink" and got it on the second shot thanks guy

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1058
« Reply #389 on: August 07, 2022, 09:18:17 PM »
I think the equally incessant and annoying twin sibling we assumed brink absorbed in the womb survived and is @therealnod