Author Topic: Problems with USA skateboarding team  (Read 32118 times)

Sketch Hitchcock

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 162
Re: Problems with USA skateboarding team
« Reply #690 on: August 27, 2022, 08:35:46 AM »
Nice work getting to Joa, Brink.  I guess I hadn’t really considered it before now but he’s probably the most trusted “speak truth to power” “media outlet” in skating right now…

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #691 on: August 27, 2022, 08:39:04 AM »
Nice work getting to Joa, Brink.  I guess I hadn’t really considered it before now but he’s probably the most trusted “speak truth to power” “media outlet” in skating right now…

Someone should link the lawyer the video

warmonke

• Rep: 43
« Reply #692 on: August 27, 2022, 09:03:12 AM »
Why didn't Mimi Knoop thank Brink? :(

cky enthusiast

« Reply #693 on: August 27, 2022, 10:08:02 AM »
@BRINK why didn’t mimi thank you

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #694 on: August 27, 2022, 10:23:56 AM »
This video was terrible.

GH's take is beyond terrible: "A group of skateboarders couldn't handle running an org, so therefore we need real business people to run our stuff for us."

This is beyond stupid and lacks a historical understanding of how this terrible org came to be and builds off the stereotype skaters are too stupid to do things themselves.

1) Ream and his cronies were the real businessmen who were supposed to be our saviors. They supposed to protect us from ourselves. This was the rationale for them being in charge in the first place. 2) What skateboarder was actually part of USA Skateboarding in any official capacity? There might be a few people who can do skateboard tricks, but I don't see many skateboarders in the org.

This has nothing to do with skaters being incompetent. It has everything to do with this org being shit to begin with and the "skaters" who joined up ignored obvious red flags, because they were likely fixated on their own personal gain (money, power, status, travel, etc.). They were out to burn the whole scene for their own gain, but now we're supposed to have sympathy for them?  :'(

I've said it before, but this is like a bicycle thief asking me to feel bad that someone stole their stolen bike. I don't care. You shouldn't be out stealing bikes in the first place.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 10:37:49 AM by TheLurper »

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Sketch Hitchcock

« Reply #695 on: August 27, 2022, 02:08:40 PM »
This video was terrible.

GH's take is beyond terrible: "A group of skateboarders couldn't handle running an org, so therefore we need real business people to run our stuff for us."

This is beyond stupid and lacks a historical understanding of how this terrible org came to be and builds off the stereotype skaters are too stupid to do things themselves.

1) Ream and his cronies were the real businessmen who were supposed to be our saviors. They supposed to protect us from ourselves. This was the rationale for them being in charge in the first place. 2) What skateboarder was actually part of USA Skateboarding in any official capacity? There might be a few people who can do skateboard tricks, but I don't see many skateboarders in the org.

This has nothing to do with skaters being incompetent. It has everything to do with this org being shit to begin with and the "skaters" who joined up ignored obvious red flags, because they were likely fixated on their own personal gain (money, power, status, travel, etc.). They were out to burn the whole scene for their own gain, but now we're supposed to have sympathy for them?  :'(

I've said it before, but this is like a bicycle thief asking me to feel bad that someone stole their stolen bike. I don't care. You shouldn't be out stealing bikes in the first place.

Joa says that though…

I appreciate your fire and you’re not wrong, but if you’re so opposed to competitive skating I dont understand how you could write that much in response to this.  If your intention is to poo-poo the whole thing you’re getting pretty granular.  No one agrees the situation is ideal, but if you’re not presenting solutions and just tearing it down, that seems like a pretty unrealistic/nihilistic aim that doesn’t engage with the reality that competitive skating is happening.  Wouldnt you rather have good people run an org like this?  No you’d just rather it burn down.  Kindve hard to have a constructive discussion with someone like that, but I suppose you have your reasons

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #696 on: August 27, 2022, 05:36:43 PM »
"We should have good people run it." Who are these people?

This was the story I heard about Ream. This wasn't true. This was the story I heard about Hendrix. This wasn't true either. This was the story I heard about all the other people who joined up with Ream, which was also bullshit.

Aside from a few women, DaShawn, and Yuto, this terrible contests promotes a good deal of people who have no place in skateboarding. Jagger is the best example of someone who should have been filtered out a long time ago. He is--somehow--an even a lamer version of Shawn White.

The only real solution to this is for skateboarding to walk away from a terrible global institution. Unless, you believe that the Olympics will allow Dime to create the format for the next Olympics.

The X-Games, Maloof Cup, etc. were dumb, but they were completely different to this nonsense. They had power via their deep pockets, but that was it. The Olympics on the other hand is far worse cause it not only has money (NBC paid nearly 8 billion for the rights to the Olympics), it also has the power to frame competitions "below" it, and it has the potential to shape governmental policies towards skateboarding (something the X-Games didn't have as it could only temporarily make Love Park a spot until the next day it went back to being off-limits). It has a lot of power to reshape the way city councils, state govs, schools, etc. view/fund skateboarding, which can deeply affect it. The alternative hierarchy that the Olympics create is powerful and it was a shortcut for a lot of people who would have had to get actual jobs if it wasn't for this opportunity to sell something that they didn't own.

Finally, I'm a bit confused by what you mean by granular when you are also suggesting that my solution (end the whole thing) is too broad.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1380
« Reply #697 on: August 27, 2022, 05:47:08 PM »
FUUUUUCKIN' BURN IT ALL DOWN
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

BRINK

• Rep: -936
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #698 on: August 27, 2022, 06:57:20 PM »

BRINK

« Reply #699 on: August 27, 2022, 06:59:26 PM »
@BRINK why didn’t mimi thank you

We were long gone … 6 of us let go in May. Then 5 more quit that day on social media in solidarity so the focus was on them. That’s who she thanked. All love between all of us who are gone. We were all friends long before USAS existed and will remain friends … the creeps we hate are the ones still there breaking laws and being shady …

Also PLEASE watch this video … “AXEEOM”

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CaEHz5uAwZ-/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

BRINK

« Reply #700 on: August 27, 2022, 07:02:37 PM »

It wasn’t my doing. Didn’t really know anything about him honestly. Just heard his name a few times. But he and I did speak and he’s cool for sure. And he put work in on this piece and I respect that. 

Sketch Hitchcock

« Reply #701 on: August 27, 2022, 07:19:11 PM »

This was the story I heard about Ream. This wasn't true. This was the story I heard about Hendrix. This wasn't true either. This was the story I heard about all the other people who joined up with Ream, which was also bullshit.

Aside from a few women, DaShawn, and Yuto, this terrible contests promotes a good deal of people who have no place in skateboarding. Jagger is the best example of someone who should have been filtered out a long time ago. He is--somehow--an even a lamer version of Shawn White.

The only real solution to this is for skateboarding to walk away from a terrible global institution. Unless, you believe that the Olympics will allow Dime to create the format for the next Olympics.

The X-Games, Maloof Cup, etc. were dumb, but they were completely different to this nonsense. They had power via their deep pockets, but that was it. The Olympics on the other hand is far worse cause it not only has money (NBC paid nearly 8 billion for the rights to the Olympics), it also has the power to frame competitions "below" it, and it has the potential to shape governmental policies towards skateboarding (something the X-Games didn't have as it could only temporarily make Love Park a spot until the next day it went back to being off-limits). It has a lot of power to reshape the way city councils, state govs, schools, etc. view/fund skateboarding, which can deeply affect it. The alternative hierarchy that the Olympics create is powerful and it was a shortcut for a lot of people who would have had to get actual jobs if it wasn't for this opportunity to sell something that they didn't own.

Finally, I'm a bit confused by what you mean by granular when you are also suggesting that my solution (end the whole thing) is too broad.

I’m not sure how realistic that would be, but I respect your general premise.  If all the SLS and Park Skaters essentially eschewed the Olympics, we’d be left with a separate ecosystem that despite its general infrequency (occuring every 4 years), could have more influence over the global aspects of how skating is treated in society/in culture, independent of any core skaters influence.  That seems like a more variable outcome than I’d like, and as I suggested, doesnt seem probable given all the corporate dollars and sponsorship that drives many top skaters to compete on the Olympic stage

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #702 on: August 28, 2022, 12:37:18 PM »

He said in his video last year that he only felt like the mens event was a circle jerk event of jocks and thought the womens comp was more impactful not because of the comp but how women skaters rallied behind each other

After watching the leo baker doc, it seems like the gender roles bothered her and not everyone should be forced into a gender role, especially with skateboarding.  And to your point she said her main reason she competed was due to her being poor and selling out to capitalism.  So not even the best of skaters doesnt agree with usa skate team.

Also Joa siding with someone just from hearsay…sure this lady could be a bitch but he doesnt work there so mimi could also be blowing it and could be a social cry for attention fuss, since noone is taking the money shit seriously (which there probably is a serious amount of cash floating around for the team)

BRINK

« Reply #703 on: August 28, 2022, 03:53:58 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

He said in his video last year that he only felt like the mens event was a circle jerk event of jocks and thought the womens comp was more impactful not because of the comp but how women skaters rallied behind each other

After watching the leo baker doc, it seems like the gender roles bothered her and not everyone should be forced into a gender role, especially with skateboarding.  And to your point she said her main reason she competed was due to her being poor and selling out to capitalism.  So not even the best of skaters doesnt agree with usa skate team.

Also Joa siding with someone just from hearsay…sure this lady could be a bitch but he doesnt work there so mimi could also be blowing it and could be a social cry for attention fuss, since noone is taking the money shit seriously (which there probably is a serious amount of cash floating around for the team)

Mimi absolutely did not blow it and Leigh and the org are being heavily investigated for their actions.

Sketch Hitchcock

« Reply #704 on: August 28, 2022, 04:34:22 PM »
Who is this Heidi Lemmon character?  She seems like a real prize.

She was just some skate mom? 

https://www.laweekly.com/heidi-lemmon-chairman-of-the-board/

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #705 on: August 28, 2022, 07:35:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Mimi absolutely did not blow it and Leigh and the org are being heavily investigated for their actions.

Im not saying she did but knowing corporate america she could have also, like i said a lot of money getting thrown

BRINK

« Reply #706 on: August 28, 2022, 07:51:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Im not saying she did but knowing corporate america she could have also, like i said a lot of money getting thrown

Ya. But she didn’t. And the org isn’t as corpo as you think. It was a handful of individuals (skaters) and a new hire lawyer who was lame af. That’s where the real problems came from.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 977
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #707 on: August 29, 2022, 08:43:27 AM »
damn i didnt know. i wont make Scab jokes anymore. I was just Illustrating how passionate i am about grrls skateboarding and how dope it would be to be a legit coach to spread / fortify the culture and not the comps. i dont actually want to help the Olympics. I do wanna help grrls pick up the board and do shit like bomb hills.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

sacking rails

• Rep: -222
  • sacking rails
« Reply #708 on: August 30, 2022, 11:53:08 AM »
Expand Quote

I thought it was terrible, rage quit the video.   He’s clueless as to how corporate America works, and the worst was when he applauded mimi’s use of grammar in the intro like spell check isnt on most peoples computer

yeah gifted hater sucks lol

BRINK

« Reply #709 on: September 02, 2022, 04:33:42 PM »
Hey guys they are hiring.

An incredible volunteer, non-paid CEO opportunity.

I applied so you have some tough competition

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/3244650689/?refId=TuklhDzzU%2F1FDTb9bgpkEQ%3D%3D&trackingId=1gP7GN7sfapzxPY6G5BOeA%3D%3D
« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 09:37:21 PM by BRINK »

Ghost Face

• Rep: 104
« Reply #710 on: September 15, 2022, 11:55:16 PM »
lets hear a bongo roll for......

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1128088/usa-skateboarding-appoints-schillereff

"USA Skateboarding (USAS) has appointed Johnny Schillereff, who has more than 30 years business experience in the sport, as its new chief executive and President."
Jerrys Kid : "I work at my real job like I'm a pro skater. Years of work can be summarized to about 3 minutes worth of actual achievements."

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 596
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #711 on: September 16, 2022, 01:14:37 AM »
ahhaha
going in an even worse direction ?

« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 01:23:10 AM by BALARGUE »

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #712 on: September 16, 2022, 09:58:58 AM »
ahhaha
going in an even worse direction ?

He came off pretty reasonable in his nine club, but we shall see
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNzDPguNXMI

sacking rails

• Rep: -222
  • sacking rails
« Reply #713 on: September 16, 2022, 10:05:08 AM »
remember that slap question thing brink did

BRINK

« Reply #714 on: September 25, 2022, 12:55:52 PM »
remember that slap question thing brink did

Yup … first episode … trailblazing as usual … thanks to Monkey McPott …