Author Topic: Yoga Sk8rs  (Read 3915 times)

Sketch Hitchcock

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 175
Yoga Sk8rs
« on: July 27, 2022, 07:36:01 PM »
Guessing a lot of y’all are doing some yoga to compliment your skating, or just happen to do yoga [and your life isn’t framed entirely around skating, good on you]

You watching any good instructors / videos etc that are easily accessible?

Usually roll with Yoga with Adriene (https://youtube.com/c/yogawithadriene) but open to broadening horizons, need to get back into a more regular practice again

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
  • and the whistle is screaming
Re: Yoga Sk8rs
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2022, 07:39:29 PM »

End thread.

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 773
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2022, 07:41:17 PM »
I found a vinyl version of this and was using it for a while until I was able to do it unguided. I felt it was pretty helpful for me personally.

Honestly I need to do yoga more consistently, I feel my skating and overall flexibility has suffered because I've been lacking.

Sketch Hitchcock

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2022, 07:54:40 PM »
I found a vinyl version of this and was using it for a while until I was able to do it unguided. I felt it was pretty helpful for me personally.

Honestly I need to do yoga more consistently, I feel my skating and overall flexibility has suffered because I've been lacking.

This is sick, thanks

igrindtwinkies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 402
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2022, 08:30:13 PM »
Yoga with Adrienne is good.  For the most part though, I just try to hold a few basic poses(mainly down dog) before I go to bed or after I work out.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1426
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2022, 08:45:14 PM »
I found out about hatha and ashtanga yoga about 12 years ago and was hooked from day 1. I've had many other injuries since and have transitioned to a mix of traditional hatha yoga earlier in the day (sun salutations A+B) and restorative yoga practice for the night, just 2-4 asana held on the floor for 45 mins.

I also meet the qualifications for a 500+hr (of training) experienced yoga teacher thru yoga alliance. I don't put a ton of stock on that governing body but its what it is.

Yoga is one of a handful of things that came together at the same point and saved my life from sheer destruction
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

cky enthusiast

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2022, 08:57:40 PM »
matt field

manysnakes

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2022, 09:00:47 PM »
I'm pretty vocal about my Pilates advocacy, but you need to find a good instructor - even mat Pilates isn’t something you should do on your own.

$$LESH

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Rep: 165
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2022, 09:05:03 PM »
this guys a yoga instructor and does cum art. i guess he just bust loads into acrylic and paints with it

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -223
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2022, 09:07:40 PM »

Yoga skater deck of choice 😂
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Sketch Hitchcock

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2022, 09:07:56 PM »
I'm pretty vocal about my Pilates advocacy, but you need to find a good instructor - even mat Pilates isn’t something you should do on your own.

Yeah getting on a reformer is fantastic just, like you said, a little less accessible day-to-day

Sketch Hitchcock

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2022, 09:11:16 PM »
I found out about hatha and ashtanga yoga about 12 years ago and was hooked from day 1. I've had many other injuries since and have transitioned to a mix of traditional hatha yoga earlier in the day (sun salutations A+B) and restorative yoga practice for the night, just 2-4 asana held on the floor for 45 mins.

I also meet the qualifications for a 500+hr (of training) experienced yoga teacher thru yoga alliance. I don't put a ton of stock on that governing body but its what it is.

Yoga is one of a handful of things that came together at the same point and saved my life from sheer destruction

Sounds like a nice practice, the morning/night, hatha/yin sequence seems excellent

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2022, 09:25:42 PM »

End thread.
Rupp, Reed and Field was going to be my answer

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Sketch Hitchcock

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2022, 09:29:23 PM »
Expand Quote

End thread.
[close]
Rupp, Reed and Field was going to be my answer

Dakota taught yoga in LB I believe, dunno if he still does

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2022, 10:12:29 PM »
just foam roll and do some basic flows when ever u feel u need em. yoga is overrated. hit the gym.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1426
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2022, 10:16:19 PM »
just foam roll and do some basic flows when ever u feel u need em. yoga is overrated. hit the gym.

yoga is the cessation of the fluctuations of the mind, homes. yogash chitti vritti nirodha

@spungo

where you at? you're an OG yogi...
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2022, 11:05:57 PM »
I just meditate to tibetan gongs whenever i be needing it. Fuck that. If it works for you have at it though.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2022, 11:11:34 PM »
this guys a yoga instructor and does cum art. i guess he just bust loads into acrylic and paints with it

How could somebody who's name is sack wanger not do cum art

SR ACF

• Rep: -291
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2022, 11:29:22 PM »
Any suggestions for the bulkier of us? I just get mad demotivated when some reedy vixen is bending around two ways in some instructional while I'm struggling to get my fingertips halfway down my shins and my down dog feels more like somebody fell forward off the toilet seat

El Freegano

• Rep: 219
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2022, 01:22:06 AM »
I have started with hatha yoga in 2008 because of some skate injuries. It definitely helped. I went through my hippie trippie esoteric period believing in ancient bulshits but then come to my mind. I was a big fan of ashtanga vinyasa, but now only do some basic asanas that are skate oriented if i can say so. I am not so regular with the breath work and the meditation practices as before, but i do them from time to time. I would suggest this youtube channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ashtangayogaparis
It is ashtanga yoga oriented, but they also have some other guided practices suitabale for everyone and also some theory.
As for the meditation practices i think buddism is better than yoga, my favourite teachers are Martin Batchelor and  bhikkhu Analayo but the new commerce mindfulness teachers like john cabat zinn and joseph goldstein are of great help too.

dannyprovolone

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2022, 02:41:30 AM »
AO is van yoga sk8r

orionskate

• Rep: -13
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2022, 03:45:43 AM »

Letsfilmavideo

• Rep: 16
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2022, 05:18:56 AM »
I did yoga for the first time when I was 17 at a music festival. Behind my knees were killing me from walking around barefoot all weekend and the 7 stair I skated consistently cause jumping was the only thing I could do as a youngin. Now I’m 25 doing yoga daily and I’m healthier and skating harder than I did when I was 17 and I think yoga is 100% to thank start doing yoga your body will thank you plus yoga pants mom ass
I always got one of my boys holdin a jar of leak and a fat blunt, so as soon as i land the trick we gettin wet you know?

Shifty Flip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2022, 05:20:21 AM »
I lived beside a Bikram spot on Colfax years ago, and every week or 2 I'd try it again, but I'm no way was it enjoyable at all. Not comfortable at all, and the smell too. 

The Prison Yoga Project /Prison Ashram can take my donation money forever.  A terrific program, sending free basic Hatha yoga/ mediation books to inmates.  Probably saved my life.

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2022, 06:42:11 AM »
I do some of the poses as a part of my daily stretches, but that’s about it. It’s obviously great for injury prevention and safer bails. In my early 20’s I used to go to Yoga classes at the YMCA, but that was just to meet women tbh.

I still don’t understand how some people get fucking ripped from just stretching and breathing.

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2022, 07:33:52 AM »
Guessing a lot of y’all are doing some yoga to compliment your skating, or just happen to do yoga [and your life isn’t framed entirely around skating, good on you]

Usually roll with Yoga with Adriene (https://youtube.com/c/yogawithadriene) but open to broadening horizons, need to get back into a more regular practice again

Started 3 years ago as a "let's see what it does for you" and been into it ever since.

I cannot stand Adrienne tho, I usually exercise with Kassandra (https://www.youtube.com/c/yogawithkassandra) that has even 5/10 minutes morning videos to get the juices flowing even if you're in a rush.
The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

warmonke

• Rep: 43
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2022, 08:53:00 AM »

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2022, 09:33:10 AM »
Steve "Yogi" Berra

Sketch Hitchcock

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2022, 10:43:32 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Started 3 years ago as a "let's see what it does for you" and been into it ever since.

I cannot stand Adrienne tho, I usually exercise with Kassandra (https://www.youtube.com/c/yogawithkassandra) that has even 5/10 minutes morning videos to get the juices flowing even if you're in a rush.

Thanks, good rec.  Yeah skating and yoga are both things that kinda flipped my perspective on things as simple as standing haha, and a little goes a long way with either to recenter/better your mental health etc