Author Topic: Skaters who skate vintage trucks  (Read 3139 times)

Frank

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
Re: Skaters who skate vintage trucks
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2022, 07:04:26 AM »
i remember i rode some indy stage 8s in the early 00s. i think i have some thunders from around 2003 or so at my parents place and also a full setup from around 2008 with indys. i think that was stage 9 already tho. not sure. i forgot when which truck came out tbh.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 847
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2022, 07:34:06 AM »
Expand Quote

I sometimes think that those guys on the older trucks are actually missing out on the best current trucks around, whatever the brand preference or interest.

Just a thought anyway.
[close]

There's truth in this. I have some stage 2 131s and some stage 8 146s and to be honest its more a nostalgia thing. I could see riding older stages when Indy fucked up with Stage 9 but Stage 11 are pretty damn good. The turn is almost as good again, they are lighter, no axle slip and KP clearance is better than it ever was.. However, I still don't understand why the grind feels so good on older stages.

Anyway, I'll l still likely try the Stage 4 reissues if and when they happen just bc they look so damn cool. until then I'm mostly on Ace with the occasional foray into Thunder b/c they both suit my tastes more than stage 11.

So I've definitely posted about this plenty in the past but I went through a vintage truck phase. First it was stage 7 indys because of the Rowley thing. Took me ages to find a pair for a reasonable price, then when I got them one of them had awful axle slip. Ordered another pair thinking I'd just have a set with a spare, but within a week or two both axles on the new pair started slipping. Ended up donating the baseplates to a pal and I don't even remember what I did with the hangers. For what it's worth, for the week I did skate them they were heavy, didn't turn as well as stage 11, and had the long ass kingpins I was afraid were gonna scrape the ground if I carved too hard or landed off balance. I no longer have a desire to skate vintage indys.

Now that being said, I've got a mini collection of old ventures that I do skate and enjoy. They're objectively worse than modern ones (especially the v hollows) but they're what I had on the board I learned to ollie on when I was a kid so there's some sentimental value. Plus theyre super stable and I like how they pop.

Also s/o to Fletch from DOA for blessing me with an unskated pair of vintage thunder 149s. I haven't had a chance to really skate them that much but I've enjoyed what I've experienced thus far.

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 464
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2022, 07:52:57 AM »

Also s/o to Fletch from DOA for blessing me with an unskated pair of vintage thunder 149s. I haven't had a chance to really skate them that much but I've enjoyed what I've experienced thus far.

Wow these are cool to see! Anymore pics would be appreciated.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2022, 08:00:59 AM »
i remember i rode some indy stage 8s in the early 00s. i think i have some thunders from around 2003 or so at my parents place and also a full setup from around 2008 with indys. i think that was stage 9 already tho. not sure. i forgot when which truck came out tbh.
Yeah prob stage 9. Maybe the easiest stage to tell because they have two triangle-ish holes in the centre of the baseplate. Also had some stage 8s or possibly stage 7s in the early 00s they were already 3rd hand when I got them and the kingpin stuck out crazy. The kingpins would break pretty often, one time I put some low kingpins in but they were way too low and you pretty much couldn't get a top bushing in. Think they went thru at least 3 more people before they no doubt ended up in someone's garage or garbage bin

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2022, 08:52:43 AM »
 ;D
Expand Quote

[close]

Wow these are cool to see! Anymore pics would be appreciated.

Made an album just for you with what I had on my phone, but if you want any custom all up in the hanger shots it's gonna cost ya. Daddy doesn't work free.

https://imgur.com/a/hYjjSmJ

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 464
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2022, 10:09:40 AM »
Appreciate it. Your response reminds me of this meme:

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2022, 10:51:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

I sometimes think that those guys on the older trucks are actually missing out on the best current trucks around, whatever the brand preference or interest.

Just a thought anyway.
[close]

There's truth in this. I have some stage 2 131s and some stage 8 146s and to be honest its more a nostalgia thing. I could see riding older stages when Indy fucked up with Stage 9 but Stage 11 are pretty damn good. The turn is almost as good again, they are lighter, no axle slip and KP clearance is better than it ever was.. However, I still don't understand why the grind feels so good on older stages.

Anyway, I'll l still likely try the Stage 4 reissues if and when they happen just bc they look so damn cool. until then I'm mostly on Ace with the occasional foray into Thunder b/c they both suit my tastes more than stage 11.
[close]

So I've definitely posted about this plenty in the past but I went through a vintage truck phase. First it was stage 7 indys because of the Rowley thing. Took me ages to find a pair for a reasonable price, then when I got them one of them had awful axle slip. Ordered another pair thinking I'd just have a set with a spare, but within a week or two both axles on the new pair started slipping. Ended up donating the baseplates to a pal and I don't even remember what I did with the hangers. For what it's worth, for the week I did skate them they were heavy, didn't turn as well as stage 11, and had the long ass kingpins I was afraid were gonna scrape the ground if I carved too hard or landed off balance. I no longer have a desire to skate vintage indys.

Now that being said, I've got a mini collection of old ventures that I do skate and enjoy. They're objectively worse than modern ones (especially the v hollows) but they're what I had on the board I learned to ollie on when I was a kid so there's some sentimental value. Plus theyre super stable and I like how they pop.

Ayyyye thanks for posting this!

I’d like to find some vintage ventures…several different eras are special to me (Phil Shao/Pupecki, and then 96-early 2000s).
But. Every now and then I come across parts of old trucks in a box somewhere, and am always shocked at how crude they are. Honestly the equipment and manufacturing has grown so significantly. Especially wheels and trucks. *I have some bullshit that I’ve convinced myself of: that decks in the late 80s-92 were stronger/longer lasting…but yeah, trucks now are way better.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2022, 11:08:13 AM »
it would be so dope if more brands would make mag trucks other than tensor and probably no one else rn.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2022, 06:28:31 PM »
it would be so dope if more brands would make mag trucks other than tensor and probably no one else rn.

Yes

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1031
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2022, 07:06:30 PM »

Made an album just for you with what I had on my phone, but if you want any custom all up in the hanger shots it's gonna cost ya. Daddy doesn't work free.

https://imgur.com/a/hYjjSmJ

So good to see!!!

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2022, 08:11:22 AM »

Venture used to. It gets overlooked a bit nowadays but they really were the most innovative truck company of their time.

I was watching that thrasher China Banks feature the other day and I thought it was a cool little detail that basically the only way they could grind that fucked up ledge was with magnesium ventures. I know it's hard to swallow paying twice as much for trucks that last half as long but there really is nothing that quite compares when it comes to grinding concrete.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2022, 09:14:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Venture used to. It gets overlooked a bit nowadays but they really were the most innovative truck company of their time.

I was watching that thrasher China Banks feature the other day and I thought it was a cool little detail that basically the only way they could grind that fucked up ledge was with magnesium ventures. I know it's hard to swallow paying twice as much for trucks that last half as long but there really is nothing that quite compares when it comes to grinding concrete.
It would be cool if truck companies started selling the hangers seperatly so you could just replace them as needed. Doubt it would ever happen tho Indy and ace often sell seperate baseplates and they are usually pretty cheap so the hanger must be where they make the money

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2022, 01:06:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
It would be cool if truck companies started selling the hangers seperatly so you could just replace them as needed. Doubt it would ever happen tho Indy and ace often sell seperate baseplates and they are usually pretty cheap so the hanger must be where they make the money

I now NEED magnesium ventures.
I’ve been considering buying tensor mag lows for a long time, on some Daewon tribute shit.
Now that I skate by myself, I can skate dunks, and narrow ish boards, painted trucks even… without feeling like a total goofus. Kinda nice.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 05:40:03 AM by Ok »

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2022, 07:12:17 PM »
One of us needs to bite the bullet and send Alibaba set of Indy/thunder/venture and have them copy it using magnesium.
In my imaginary hardware co I sell 3d printed baseplate extenders for thunders, and also the magnesium clones.
Would do numbers

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2022, 09:37:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

It is funny you say that because I have been pulling things apart for people for years, mainly just the plain polished standard Indy / team Thunders.  Some shops I know have done the same and just kept the bits hidden behind the counter, but most people are a bit afraid to start doing that in case they get left with a heap of parts they can't sell.

I figured someone would need a hanger here or a baseplate there, so it all adds up, sometimes even single hangers or baseplates, but often pairs of them, when and where people needed them.  Some shops do sell single trucks, although more often than not places try to keep them together as pairs, which makes sense, as there would often be a weird colourway or size left in various cabinets over the years.

I also have a whole lot of used parts which are more common on rotation, if someone has 149s and wants to try 159s or something, which is handy.

Once you start to get into the older parts it can get a bit tricky though, but I still have quite a few single older Indy hangers of varying sizes, as well as a few other awesome single (NOS) complete trucks from most brands, which are more museum pieces nowdays.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2022, 07:27:01 PM »

For anyone who was curious to see some old / vintage Venture trucks, I was going to post pics of the near destroyed old Venture trucks I have here, but then I found someone selling what looks like a near new set on Gumtree (Australian selling platform) and have included the link and some pics below.

Click on the pics for the bigger versions, or save them while you can, just to have pics of the older trucks.  As these had the six hole plates they are from around 1992-1998 going by what I know of those trucks.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mermaid-beach/skateboards-rollerblades/vintage-skateboard-trucks/1298679577

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2022, 02:05:48 AM »

For anyone who was curious to see some old / vintage Venture trucks, I was going to post pics of the near destroyed old Venture trucks I have here, but then I found someone selling what looks like a near new set on Gumtree (Australian selling platform) and have included the link and some pics below.

Click on the pics for the bigger versions, or save them while you can, just to have pics of the older trucks.  As these had the six hole plates they are from around 1992-1998 going by what I know of those trucks.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mermaid-beach/skateboards-rollerblades/vintage-skateboard-trucks/1298679577

i had my first board in 97 with ventures and they had the old baseplates for sure. i was confused at first why there were extra holes.