Author Topic: Tiago Lemos is an abuser and the industry loves him for it  (Read 45785 times)

allucanfree4all

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 3
Re: Tiago Lemos is an abuser and the industry loves him for it
« Reply #390 on: August 16, 2022, 10:19:07 AM »
So why do you think the title of the book uses a word that refers to Black people when it's about the plight of white French Canadians? And why does the English translation of that book title contain the N-word, if it's "not like dropping the n-bomb"? The fact that he made you do it because he "thought it was really, really funny" says a lot.

And no, I wasn't saying that people from BC can't be racist, just that she wouldn't have the same experience with casual use of that word as somebody from Quebec might, largely in part because the Quebec media, government agencies etc. seem to think it's ok. As somebody said earlier, unfortunately racism against Indigenous people is prevalent in Western Canada, and its been well-documented that hate crimes against Asian people in BC spiked during the pandemic. Plus that chart is based on "police-reported hate crimes" - that bar can be quite a bit higher or lower depending on what meets the definition of "hate" in that province's laws.

Goodcurbs

• Rep: -279
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #391 on: August 16, 2022, 10:48:24 AM »
I am disappointed in myself for being back on this thread. The book is called “nègres blancs d’amérique,” and my Ethiopian born French teacher thought it was really, really funny to have me do an oral report on that book in 12th grade. I told him that I was uncomfortable reading an excerpt to the class, but he insisted that the word nègre is not like dropping an n-bomb, instead it’s more like the Spanish word for black. I’m not entirely sure I believed him, but he was the only teacher to really check in with me when my dad was dying, so I held him in high esteem, and he’s a black dude, so I figured he knew what was up on this one. If I recall correctly, the book is mostly about the French inhabitants of lower Canada being exploited and treated like second class citizens at the hands of the English speaking upper Canada, and the pervasive effects that has had on French Canadians. For the record, I’m not defending the book, just stating what I remember from it, and what a teacher I liked told me about it. And finally, do you really think that just because somebody is from BC, they can’t possibly engage in racist behaviours?

In summation, we’re all garbage, and I wish the sun would just explode.
This post needs to die. Tiago is innocent and Una didn't say anything racist shit. It's all made up.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 578
« Reply #392 on: August 16, 2022, 10:50:14 AM »
I can’t tell you why the translation is titled as such, though I’ll chalk it up to the turn of phrase “lost in translation.” And yes, he found it funny to watch my discomfort trying to talk about a touchy subject. I sweat. I tremble. My voice cracks and my pants fall down. Once again, I’m not defending the book, I’m telling you what was told to me. Frankly, I think your issue is with my man Mr. Ibrahim, and if you’ve got beef with him, you got beef with me, playboi (not really, I’m just fucking around). And while I concede that police reported crimes are not an all encompassing data set, considering it’s the only set available, your point is irrelevant. At the end of the day, your presumptuous, prejudicial generalizations toward the people of Quebec border on xenophobia, and it’s precisely the type of boorish behaviour I’d expect from a Torontonian.

(If it wasn’t obvious, I’m 100% being sarcastic. You seem like you have a good heart, and I’m also quite fond of Toronto. I love you.)
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Steve Kelly

• Rep: -227
« Reply #393 on: August 16, 2022, 11:39:30 AM »
So is there actually nobody on this board who has any friends or connections who have any sort of clue what he is alleged to do? Slap on the ass?Full on rape? Nothing?

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #394 on: August 16, 2022, 11:45:18 AM »
It's only small town talk
You know how people are
They can't stand to see you
Being who you are

Don't pay it no mind
Don't believe a word they say
They do it to you every time

You can't believe everything you hear
Only half of what you might see
But if you have to believe in anyone
I'd believe, darling, believe in me

A well-known fact
You don't even know
How one other might react

To what you're thinking
What are they thinking
They're telling all the lies

And make some people crazy
They don't realize we're still thinking
We're only people, trying to live together
We're trying to make this little life work

Who are we to judge one another
It may lead to tears or maybe something even worse
You know how people are

They can't stand to see you
Being just exactly who you are
It's small town talk

Goodcurbs

• Rep: -279
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #395 on: August 16, 2022, 11:59:03 AM »
So is there actually nobody on this board who has any friends or connections who have any sort of clue what he is alleged to do? Slap on the ass?Full on rape? Nothing?
Nothing is the correct answer. Yes I've talked to someone on the dime side and it's all fabricated.

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #396 on: August 16, 2022, 12:24:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Nothing is the correct answer. Yes I've talked to someone on the dime side and it's all fabricated.
THANKS

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 578
« Reply #397 on: August 16, 2022, 01:06:19 PM »
/thread
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #398 on: August 16, 2022, 02:08:58 PM »
W.N.A.- straight outta kirkland

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 607
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #399 on: August 17, 2022, 01:26:34 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

then what did he say about Tiago ?