Author Topic: Long Wheelbase Gang (15”+)  (Read 9001 times)

switchfakie

Re: Long Wheelbase Gang (15”+)
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2022, 04:39:53 PM »
im just getting on this train. i think i was brainwashed into thinking 14.0 was good because of all the slap hype and because I had a random experience with a 14.0 chocolate board that skated perfectly for me

a couple months ago, i got a carpet board on a complete whim to try something new. I didnt measure the board's dimensions other than the width and it ended up skating amazing for me. everything worked. my first impression of the wheelbase was it was wide, but my 3flips still worked, so i didnt really give a fuck.

after killing the board, i measured the WB and it came out to 14.5 which is insane bc i religiously skated 14.0-14.125

anybody else have this experience?

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2022, 06:00:32 PM »
im just getting on this train. i think i was brainwashed into thinking 14.0 was good because of all the slap hype and because I had a random experience with a 14.0 chocolate board that skated perfectly for me

a couple months ago, i got a carpet board on a complete whim to try something new. I didnt measure the board's dimensions other than the width and it ended up skating amazing for me. everything worked. my first impression of the wheelbase was it was wide, but my 3flips still worked, so i didnt really give a fuck.

after killing the board, i measured the WB and it came out to 14.5 which is insane bc i religiously skated 14.0-14.125

anybody else have this experience?

Sure did.

Average board I skated for 20+ years of knowing about width, length and wheelbase was 14.25 to 14.38 DLX boards as my normal go to and a few bigger boards as cruisers and more fun options, but in the last few years in particular, I have tried to stay at a minimum of 14.5 and it just works better on the DLX 8.38 and other 8.5 boards.

Definitely have more of the 15+ wb options on bigger boards now too, which are more cruisers / fun / transition setups than anything else, but it makes the board way more stable for my long legs and size 11-12 feet anyway.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

FrankRizzo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 10
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2022, 05:18:25 PM »
Been skating 9"+ wide decks with 15.25 wheelbases on AF1's since the new Aces dropped spring 2021.

5'8, 160lb, 10.5 shoe, 30" inseam.

I enjoy taking a wider stance for hill bombs/transition.

I like how a longer wheel base works with a carvy truck like ace to offer a swooping fluid like turn.

My completes are mellow with 1/4 riser and 60mm wheels.

My setup looks like a slightly scaled up version of a street deck with how everything is slightly wider/taller/longer.

I appreciate having all the real estate for my feet even though i skate super loose which has me balancing on the balls of my feet  over the center of the board. (my toes are like an inch back from the edge..

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 158
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2022, 08:41:37 PM »
The one we’ve been waiting for?

Pretty stoked to take delivery of this wild ass Baker board tomorrow. Going to run it with some 169s.

Baker Tyson Peterson Circle Jerks Wild Shaped Skateboard Deck - 10x31
Deck Specs from SoCal:
Width: 10"
Length: 31"
Wheelbase: 16.38"
Nose: 4"
Tail: 6.5"

Sketch Hitchcock

« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2022, 04:53:38 PM »

Wow.

https://www.blacklabelskates.com/product/lucero-curb-nerd-mash-up-limited-edition

Lucero "CURB NERD" Mash-Up Limited Edition
Classic Lucero Cross with a Curb Nerd Layover
“CROSS” Shape
10” x 32.875“
Double drilled WB 15.5" or 16"
Custom Shape
7 ply hard maple
Full Black Dip Dip

postmodernpain

• Rep: 9
« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2023, 02:28:03 PM »
Antihero 8.43 x 33 with 15WB
Thunder 149 Team w/ 1/8 pads
Spitfire 55 Manderson Shape (conical full-like)

All old gear but this is feeling really solid right now. I’ve also been almost exclusively Polarizing for the last year so that may have something to do with it.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 02:41:03 PM by postmodernpain »

elegant_fox

« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2023, 04:26:57 PM »
The 16"wb on the Alva Abstrakt is one of my favorites, you need to run it with 215s and a 1/4 riser to get the right truck angles though. It turns every bowl session into a surf session: https://alva-skates.com/collections/all-skateboards/products/copy-of-alva-abstrakt

Oddly enough, I feel the step up from 14 to 15 a lot more than I do the step from 15 to 16 across the boards in my quiver.

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 254
« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2023, 06:21:46 PM »
Waffling on whether to get the new BA shape.

Specs look reaaaaally good

Brian's Custom Ride Shape
Width - 8.8"
Length - 33"
Wheelbase - 15"

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Anti_Hero_x_Mike_G_BA_Out_Of_Step_Deck/descpage-AHBAOOSDK.html

Sketch Hitchcock

« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2023, 06:27:28 PM »
Love the Alva 16 incher

And the new BA board too

Both are insanely beautiful!

Postmodernpain - that 8.43 AH shape sounds badass, very unique.  Bet it’s fun.

Sketch Hitchcock

« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2023, 06:21:52 PM »
This one caught my eye today

WORBLE BOSS LEVEL DECK

Art by Jackson Tupper
Width 9.4"
Length 32.5"
Wheelbase 15"
Nose 6.825"
Tail 6.5"

https://theworble.com/products/boss-level-deck-9-4

Sketch Hitchcock

« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2023, 08:36:35 PM »
Sorry for two boards in a day, but this reissue is too wild not to post.  Wish these were more affordable but I own one in my dreams.

G&S Billy Ruff "Invisible Magician" Reissue Deck

Choose from Yellow or White, Signed or Unsigned by Billy Ruff.

*The Yellow deck glows in the dark*

Please note: Signed decks will not ship out until Billy Ruff comes to sign them. Once shipped, a confirmation with tracking information will be sent via email.

Dimensions: 29" long x 10" wide x 16.5" wheelbase

Built at Watson Laminates in San Diego, CA.

Screen printing by Damon Mills in San Diego, CA.

https://gordonandsmith.com/collections/skateboards/products/g-s-billy-ruff-invisible-magician-reissue-deck

Sketch Hitchcock

« Reply #71 on: May 05, 2023, 10:44:33 PM »

The induction graphic pays homage to Ruth E. Norman AKA Uriel, co-founder of the UFO cult, Unarius Academy of Science. She's depicted on the tail, with a freshly branded forehead -- an inductee to the cult of Metal. The connection between Metal and Alien Workshop goes way back. The graphic says it all.

If anyone's looking to join (although we can't condone it): https://www.unarius.org

Decks sold in assorted top & bottom wood stain colors. Unfortunately we cannot accommodate specific stain color requests.

Dimensions
8.25 X 33.5, 15.25" Wheelbase
The LongBoy is the shape developed in 1995 and Fred Gall rode in Timecode (1997 -  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA6qRPWTtb4).

This highly sought after shape was custom made for Fred & the Metal crew and never available for sale to the public until now.

Graphic: Spot color printed deck
Artist: Sean Pryor
Construction: Classic 7ply Canadian hard rock maple

https://www.metalskateboards.com/products/metal-induction-8-25

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2023, 11:45:26 PM »
The history behind that Metal deck is fucking cool

Bigfoot is real

« Reply #73 on: May 06, 2023, 01:48:11 AM »

Sketch Hitchcock

« Reply #74 on: May 06, 2023, 12:58:37 PM »
The history behind that Metal deck is fucking cool

Agreed, never realized Freddy was messing around with long wheelbases, but it all connects since he’s such a monster on transition.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2023, 09:18:11 PM »
A long while back I asked about the Fred gall longboards but nobody knew what I was talking about so thought I must have imagined it lol. There's also a few insta accounts that post old catalogues and a few brands would have one 34ish inch board so people must have been riding them

3rd
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bqki2Ejlmdj/?igshid=NjZiM2M3MzIxNA==
« Last Edit: May 06, 2023, 09:30:41 PM by Mean salto »

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2023, 08:25:47 AM »
The anti hero orange eagle and orange crusher at 15” is my preferred park rider

Krooked Beamer if I want to cruuuuise.. that’s 16 I think

My Polarizers are pushing 19-20” axle to axle and keep me happy

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
« Reply #77 on: May 07, 2023, 08:36:55 AM »
This thread is really heating up with the Fred Gall wheel base history. Good shit... and now I want to try a 15" WB again... I remember the last time it felt amazing in the bowl but I could rarely make one tre flip....

Sketch Hitchcock

« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2023, 01:23:22 PM »
There’s something about the longer board that can look really sick sometimes.  That Timecode video is so grainy but I think seeing Freddy handle that board with so much power came across subconsciously even if it wasnt obvious how big the board really was.

There’s a weird stigma against riding a longer board, but I think aesthetically its sick. 

For instance, this dude’s board looks massive… could be a bit of his height playing into it, but relatively speaking he’s rocking a long wheelbase to my eye

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cra-NW4gaHn/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cr3nV-4JdTk/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Creachteach

• Rep: 110
« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2023, 02:23:55 PM »
There’s something about the longer board that can look really sick sometimes.  That Timecode video is so grainy but I think seeing Freddy handle that board with so much power came across subconsciously even if it wasnt obvious how big the board really was.

There’s a weird stigma against riding a longer board, but I think aesthetically its sick. 

For instance, this dude’s board looks massive… could be a bit of his height playing into it, but relatively speaking he’s rocking a long wheelbase to my eye

I think that guy is actually below average height, and skating a regular sized board. In relation to the bus stop he’s passing in one clip. My guess is board is an 8,5” with a 14,5” wb. I’m unhooked from the matrix so I can’t ask the guy, but maybe someone already has.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

Sketch Hitchcock

« Reply #80 on: May 07, 2023, 03:18:30 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I think that guy is actually below average height, and skating a regular sized board. In relation to the bus stop he’s passing in one clip. My guess is board is an 8,5” with a 14,5” wb. I’m unhooked from the matrix so I can’t ask the guy, but maybe someone already has.

Haha yeah, totally!  It’s all relative, in my mind.

Sketch Hitchcock

« Reply #81 on: May 08, 2023, 02:10:49 PM »
Have one of these 9”/15” wb Catalina decks on ice to replace my 8.5/14.5 Flower Guy board when it goes.  Think with the taper it will feel similar - but excited to see what the 15 inch wheelbase will do for that setup.

IpathCats

« Reply #82 on: June 02, 2023, 05:55:49 AM »
Tried that palace s32 shape and have been really enjoying it. Liking it more the longer i skate it since im adjusting and the DSM wood is chilling out a bit. Its VERY stiff to start and the kicks are kinda steep.

I bought two more, and I think im gonna do the neen thing where i park my car on the deck overnight to mellow the kicks out.

BUT theyre currently sold out and idk if theyre gonna make anymore.

Any other recommendations for an 8.38 wide board with a wheelbase longer than 14.5 but under 15? Will probably just go back to the deluxe 8.38 14.5 wb if i cant find anything, but i would like to try something else if possible.

I know its not 15+ like the thread states, but no one else likes wheelbases this long haha.

edit: i wanna try that metal deck, but i highly doubt i would like it, and i would be upset that i messed it up and couldnt use it as a wall hanger anymore lol
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 06:33:05 AM by IpathCats »

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #83 on: June 02, 2023, 07:46:10 AM »
Tried that palace s32 shape and have been really enjoying it. Liking it more the longer i skate it since im adjusting and the DSM wood is chilling out a bit. Its VERY stiff to start and the kicks are kinda steep.

I bought two more, and I think im gonna do the neen thing where i park my car on the deck overnight to mellow the kicks out.

Any other recommendations for an 8.38 wide board with a wheelbase longer than 14.5 but under 15? Will probably just go back to the deluxe 8.38 14.5 wb if i cant find anything, but i would like to try something else if possible.

I know its not 15+ like the thread states, but no one else likes wheelbases this long haha.

edit: i wanna try that metal deck, but i highly doubt i would like it, and i would be upset that i messed it up and couldnt use it as a wall hanger anymore lol

Madness had an 8.375” with 14.75” wheelbase. Probably hard to find those in the future though. DLX Full 8.38” has 14.62” wheelbase but those are have not been made in a few years I think. Theories of Atlantis seems to have an 8.38” and an 8.5” with a 14.625” wheelbase.

If you can bump up to 8.5” DLX has one with 14.75” wheelbase and then the There Chandler Burton one with 14.69” wheelbase. Element also apparently has an 8.5” with 14.75” wheelbase.

I’m a big fan of over 14.5” wheelbases and I’ve had 8.38” with 14.625” and even an 8.25” with a 14.75” but shorter boards are trendy now so longer wheelbase boards are indeed harder to come by especially if you don’t want to go with over 8.5” in width.

IpathCats

« Reply #84 on: June 02, 2023, 08:13:21 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Madness had an 8.375” with 14.75” wheelbase. Probably hard to find those in the future though. DLX Full 8.38” has 14.62” wheelbase but those are have not been made in a few years I think. Theories of Atlantis seems to have an 8.38” and an 8.5” with a 14.625” wheelbase.

If you can bump up to 8.5” DLX has one with 14.75” wheelbase and then the There Chandler Burton one with 14.69” wheelbase. Element also apparently has an 8.5” with 14.75” wheelbase.

I’m a big fan of over 14.5” wheelbases and I’ve had 8.38” with 14.625” and even an 8.25” with a 14.75” but shorter boards are trendy now so longer wheelbase boards are indeed harder to come by especially if you don’t want to go with over 8.5” in width.

Nice I'll check that out. Was on 8.5 for a while and don't intend on going back. But if this wheelbase situation stays this difficult then I might have to.

Thanks for the tips!

Sketch Hitchcock

« Reply #85 on: June 02, 2023, 01:16:17 PM »
Hyped on trying this.  Longest wheelbase I’ve ever fucked with.

The Heated Wheel Bank Mauler (8.25 x 28 x 19.875 WB)
Ace 00 trucks

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 254
« Reply #86 on: June 11, 2023, 07:36:57 PM »
Having grown up skating South Jersey/Philly (albeit very poorly) in the 90s, I’m very stoked to try this setup. I normally ride 8.75/9” boards (still pretty poorly) so this should be interesting.

Sketch Hitchcock

« Reply #87 on: June 11, 2023, 07:41:33 PM »
Hell yeah buddy 🔥🔥🔥

Samsquantch

• Rep: 60
« Reply #88 on: June 17, 2023, 05:40:48 PM »
I think I'm stuck with long wheelbase.

Got back into skating last winter, tried a few different setups with the longest being 14.75 wheelbase and ended up liking it the best by far. Later I picked up a AH orange eagle with 15" wheelbase and liked it even more.

Read the "tall guy" thread the other day and seeing how many guys near my size (6'4"+ 210lbs size 14 feet) preferred sub 14.5 wheelbases, I set up my Polar 8.5 with 14.38 wheelbase again and tried skating it for a couple days. Hate it. Feel so unstable setting up for anything, landing anything feels so squirrelly, Ollie's are inconsistent, big transition is outright scary. Keep landing stuff too far up the nose and bailing.

Jump back on the orange eagle and instantly feel comfortable again. Ollie's are actually bigger and far more consistent, confidence inspiring. Don't really do any flip tricks anymore anyway, think I'll just stay with this shape.

I mean, I'm sure you get used to anything, I skated 7.5" with 14" wb as a teen in the 90's, but holy shit do short decks feel terrible now that I've tried long ones.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2023, 06:05:57 PM by Samsquantch »

freidnly guy

• Rep: 15
« Reply #89 on: June 18, 2023, 10:52:31 AM »

Read the "tall guy" thread the other day and seeing how many guys near my size (6'4"+ 210lbs size 14 feet) preferred sub 14.5 wheelbases, I set up my Polar 8.5 with 14.38 wheelbase

I'm 6'4" and that board was exceptionally terrible for me. I think there is not enough fingers of flat at the tail so it was hard to pop. Even Crail Couch with 13.875 wb and miles of flat at the tail works better, though obviously not for big transition.