Author Topic: Long Wheelbase Gang (15”+)  (Read 9286 times)

Samsquantch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 60
Re: Long Wheelbase Gang (15”+)
« Reply #90 on: June 18, 2023, 12:45:01 PM »
Expand Quote

Read the "tall guy" thread the other day and seeing how many guys near my size (6'4"+ 210lbs size 14 feet) preferred sub 14.5 wheelbases, I set up my Polar 8.5 with 14.38 wheelbase
[close]

I'm 6'4" and that board was exceptionally terrible for me. I think there is not enough fingers of flat at the tail so it was hard to pop. Even Crail Couch with 13.875 wb and miles of flat at the tail works better, though obviously not for big transition.

Maybe that's what it is, the tail just feels weird on that polar, It's pointy and small. The whole board is just really uncomfortable.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #91 on: June 18, 2023, 06:31:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Read the "tall guy" thread the other day and seeing how many guys near my size (6'4"+ 210lbs size 14 feet) preferred sub 14.5 wheelbases, I set up my Polar 8.5 with 14.38 wheelbase
[close]

I'm 6'4" and that board was exceptionally terrible for me. I think there is not enough fingers of flat at the tail so it was hard to pop. Even Crail Couch with 13.875 wb and miles of flat at the tail works better, though obviously not for big transition.
[close]

Maybe that's what it is, the tail just feels weird on that polar, It's pointy and small. The whole board is just really uncomfortable.

Others have definitely had that opinion of Polar boards too.

Tried various sizes including used Polar 8.75 of which I have a couple (because people didn't like the short tail and just wanted to get rid of them) and although I can deal with the tail for simple things, I don't feel like I have enough of it when compared to some other boards of similar widths that have way longer tails.

More than anything it is the combination of the taper as well as the short tail that makes them so different to other boards like the AH eagles of comparable widths, but something like the orange eagle has everything - width, length, long wheelbase and long kicks, so it is a good one in that regard, same as any other companies that use that shape, or even the generic BBS blanks / Generator boards that you can get as shop boards or from skatesamples.com website.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Samsquantch

• Rep: 60
« Reply #92 on: June 18, 2023, 08:37:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Tried various sizes including used Polar 8.75 of which I have a couple (because people didn't like the short tail and just wanted to get rid of them) and although I can deal with the tail for simple things, I don't feel like I have enough of it when compared to some other boards of similar widths that have way longer tails.

More than anything it is the combination of the taper as well as the short tail that makes them so different to other boards like the AH eagles of comparable widths, but something like the orange eagle has everything - width, length, long wheelbase and long kicks, so it is a good one in that regard, same as any other companies that use that shape, or even the generic BBS blanks / Generator boards that you can get as shop boards or from skatesamples.com website.

Interested in trying out the 8.625 as my next deck. Looks like it has nice full kicks, like the orange eagle but scaled down a bit, just to try something a bit more nimble. Have some forged hollow 159's that should be just the ticket. Any experience with that one?

Creachteach

• Rep: 120
« Reply #93 on: June 19, 2023, 12:50:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Interested in trying out the 8.625 as my next deck. Looks like it has nice full kicks, like the orange eagle but scaled down a bit, just to try something a bit more nimble. Have some forged hollow 159's that should be just the ticket. Any experience with that one?

You and me both!
DLX 8,625” from Krooked and Antihero
They’re only 3mm skinnier than an 8,75”, but they keep the wheelbases longish, but the overall length compared to the orange eagle is 3/4” shorter.

They’re much more consistent than 8,75”s that can be shorter in the kick and wheelbase.

Hoping someone chimes in on your question.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #94 on: June 19, 2023, 01:54:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

You and me both!
DLX 8,625” from Krooked and Antihero
They’re only 3mm skinnier than an 8,75”, but they keep the wheelbases longish, but the overall length compared to the orange eagle is 3/4” shorter.

They’re much more consistent than 8,75”s that can be shorter in the kick and wheelbase.

Hoping someone chimes in on your question.

Ha yeah I have one set up and it was the preferred size and shape for a lot of the vert and bowl guys too.

It is 8.62 right through, so no taper, longer in both overall length and wheelbase than the white eagle, 14.75 wb is correct, but length is a bit more than what is listed, from memory, which makes the kicks really nice to me.

The shape is not at all full in the sense of FA / Hockey or the Full shaped DLX boards, but with the kicks being wide enough right through and not at all tapered down, it works really well for people who want a longer board / longer wheelbase option without going super wide too.

* I know it is under the 15" so not quite for this thread but it definitely is a good board and worth checking out.

This is almost the one I currently have setup, Grimple 8.62 anyway:

https://www.tactics.com/anti-hero/lord-div-sesher-grimplestix-862-skateboard-deck/teal

GS77

• Rep: 94
« Reply #95 on: September 15, 2023, 02:08:16 PM »
I bought a ChicoStix board on close out and while it said 14.75” wheel base on their website it measured 15.5”. I emailed them and they updated the website.

If you want to try a long wheelbase dipped board (basically a krooked eye team board) check this out…

https://www.chicostix.com/products/chico-stix-x-ferris-plock-xl-9-3

It was too much wheelbase so I drilled back 3/8” and now I basically have this…

https://www.tactics.com/krooked/team-eyes-93-skateboard-deck/green
« Last Edit: September 15, 2023, 02:27:11 PM by GS77 »

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 167
« Reply #96 on: September 16, 2023, 11:38:36 AM »
^^^Very rad

The other wheelbase thread had me measuring my shins and my long wheelbase status is confirmed.  Approx. 15”.  Incredible.  I’m starting to get the wheelbase bug again  :)

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #97 on: September 16, 2023, 04:02:12 PM »
I bought a ChicoStix board on close out and while it said 14.75” wheel base on their website it measured 15.5”. I emailed them and they updated the website.

If you want to try a long wheelbase dipped board (basically a krooked eye team board) check this out…

https://www.chicostix.com/products/chico-stix-x-ferris-plock-xl-9-3

It was too much wheelbase so I drilled back 3/8” and now I basically have this…

https://www.tactics.com/krooked/team-eyes-93-skateboard-deck/green

At that price too, for a decent shape that stays nice and wide right from front to back, it seems like a good option.

Definitely would get some if I was USA based, along with drilling it back as well.

^^^Very rad

The other wheelbase thread had me measuring my shins and my long wheelbase status is confirmed.  Approx. 15”.  Incredible.  I’m starting to get the wheelbase bug again  :)

I feel like some of those Heated Wheel boards with the 15.5 or so wheelbases could easily be drilled back to make a very functional and fun big board to ride.

Still keeps it longer than average, but not so long with such a short nose as it is a permanent cruiser type setup.

Just a thought anyway.

Sketch Hitchcock

« Reply #98 on: September 16, 2023, 09:13:27 PM »
I have a couple 15 inchers on ice I’m keen to set up sooner than later.  Been enjoying 14.5 quite a bit - and also have that Slam Time board w/ 15.75 wheelbase too, which isn’t nimble but I dig a lot - that range is really fun to mess around within.

Monolithic Flick

• Rep: 3
« Reply #99 on: December 07, 2023, 02:00:40 PM »
I'm not good enough to go down this path but as a tall dude (6'5'') I'm interested. 

I saw Madness mentioned earlier in the thread.  I think slap taught me that  Opera is the "new madness" and they seem to have a lot of interesting boards in terms of wheel base sizing:

https://www.tactics.com/opera/skateboard-decks

wurfnnjs

• Rep: 0
« Reply #100 on: February 05, 2024, 07:59:20 PM »
Sorry to necro this thread, but I need to replace my AH green giant with a 15.25 wheelbase and I can't find anything close anywhere. The only thing I can think of is maybe the tugboat shape from black label but the wheelbase is 14.5 and I would like to get as close to that 15.25 as possible, although willing to go down 1/4-1/2 and inch or so if needed. DOes nayone here have any suggestions?

Sketch Hitchcock

« Reply #101 on: February 05, 2024, 08:32:17 PM »
Black Label and The Heated Wheel both carry multiple shaped boards with 15” wheelbases

Check all the BL 15” options on this page
https://www.blacklabelskates.com/product/thumbhead-oval-pick-your-shape

THW has the 9” Sportsman in multiple colors, that’s a 15”
https://theheatedwheel.com/collections/skateboards/products/sportsman-yellow-stain-9-0

And there’s a 15.5” wheelbase in multiple colorways and art styles
https://theheatedwheel.com/collections/skateboards/products/grasshopper-guy-9-5

https://theheatedwheel.com/collections/skateboards/products/the-journey-9-5

wurfnnjs

• Rep: 0
« Reply #102 on: February 06, 2024, 09:25:36 AM »
thanks boss
Black Label and The Heated Wheel both carry multiple shaped boards with 15” wheelbases

Check all the BL 15” options on this page
https://www.blacklabelskates.com/product/thumbhead-oval-pick-your-shape

THW has the 9” Sportsman in multiple colors, that’s a 15”
https://theheatedwheel.com/collections/skateboards/products/sportsman-yellow-stain-9-0

And there’s a 15.5” wheelbase in multiple colorways and art styles
https://theheatedwheel.com/collections/skateboards/products/grasshopper-guy-9-5

https://theheatedwheel.com/collections/skateboards/products/the-journey-9-5

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #103 on: February 06, 2024, 10:33:17 AM »
Also check out tactics and skatedeluxe. They let you filter decks for wheelbase:

https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/skateboard-decks?eav=960&cPath=42
https://www.tactics.com/skateboard-decks/ra-17435/page-2

dstrytruitt

• Rep: 105
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #104 on: February 06, 2024, 12:32:47 PM »
Sorry to necro this thread, but I need to replace my AH green giant with a 15.25 wheelbase and I can't find anything close anywhere. The only thing I can think of is maybe the tugboat shape from black label but the wheelbase is 14.5 and I would like to get as close to that 15.25 as possible, although willing to go down 1/4-1/2 and inch or so if needed. DOes nayone here have any suggestions?

AH Grosso is double-drilled at 14.75 and 15.25

MongoSwitchIsIllegal

• Rep: -6
« Reply #105 on: February 06, 2024, 12:39:17 PM »
As a representative of 14" WB Gang, South Texas Chapter, I hope you all burn in Ed Templeton's basement.
Good day..
Wu Wei - The Art of Doing Nothing - Effortless Action

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #106 on: February 06, 2024, 12:49:34 PM »
As a representative of 14" WB Gang, South Texas Chapter, I hope you all burn in Ed Templeton's basement.
Good day..

And they say size does not matter...

Fishhb

• Rep: 14
« Reply #107 on: February 06, 2024, 07:54:17 PM »
I got the hw sportsman it a great shape I really like it for cruising and bowls for curbs I prefer a 14.25

spacial_profiling

• Rep: -88
« Reply #108 on: February 07, 2024, 07:23:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I’ve ridden this a few times, have a couple 8.62 AH on ice. Currently on a Gonz 8.62 (no fuck you zone). Did an 8.75 polar too, prefer their 8.62. The tad lower forged’s esp on TKF who’s 8.62 are 14.5+ helps a lot with snapping/flicking quicker imo.

Art Greco

• Skate2Junkies avatar image
« Reply #109 on: March 24, 2024, 01:24:19 PM »
This is Big Blue. 56” wheelbase. I built this couple of years ago just for fun. It’s a blast! 65.5” overall length, 12” at its widest point, but tapers quite a bit over the trucks.

The beam on the underside adds rigidity and acts as a riser for wheel clearance.

What's going on over at https://skate2junkies.proboards.com/ ???

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #110 on: March 24, 2024, 03:48:25 PM »
do you throw down on that?
can it sappy?
so many questions, want to see footage
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Art Greco

• Skate2Junkies avatar image
« Reply #111 on: March 24, 2024, 05:58:05 PM »
do you throw down on that?
can it sappy?
so many questions, want to see footage

A better skater than myself could probably Slappy on it. I just cruise around on it. Here’s a clip from a couple years ago after I first built it…

What's going on over at https://skate2junkies.proboards.com/ ???

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #112 on: March 24, 2024, 06:36:08 PM »
Oh