Author Topic: Session interruptions  (Read 1151 times)

MushinSkate

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
Session interruptions
« on: August 04, 2022, 04:47:21 PM »
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 10:59:38 PM by sysiphusskate »

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
Re: Ever been harassed while skating?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2022, 02:29:37 AM »
Why would kids harass you? What are they doing?

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2022, 04:09:32 AM »
Generally not, but then I'm in my mid to late 30s so I think I'm basically invisible to under 25s now.

I've had more harrassment and verbal abuse off old folks to be honest, irate neighbours to a spot, that kind of thing.

IDK how it works where you are- but generally in my experience, if you keep yourself to yourself and don't engage, they won't either, or will soon get bored.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2022, 06:37:43 AM »
It will get better once you‘re old. Teenagers don‘t interact with old dudes. That‘s the only advantage of being old tho.  ;D
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2022, 08:00:54 AM »
Yeah, I also think college aged kids now don’t really heckle/harass people like they used to. It’s pretty unacceptable now I think. Unless it’s some drunk kids or something, I think you’re probably good. If anything you might get a couple supportive “YEWWWWs”

Jewel Runner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 100
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2022, 08:44:28 AM »
I live in a college town and theres going to be a bunch of younger college kids coming after summer.

I don't have a skating posse and I like skating alone. And kids that age can be annoying and I just want to be left alone.

I dunno. Any kids/younger-adults ever harass you during your solo sessions?

(currently in my mid 20s)

Have you ever been harassed while skating?

What was it like last year around this time?

Frank and Fred

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2022, 09:30:16 AM »
It used to be part of the game. I kind of miss the skate harassment.

tonitonne

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2022, 09:34:17 AM »
I got harassed yesterday actually.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -61
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2022, 09:35:32 AM »
This would have been early 90s'
When I was like 12 I was skating at an abandoned gas station alone, a Chevy Suburban comes screeching into the parking lot and 6 dudes who were probably at least in their late teens if not early twenties jump out.
They form a half circle around me (I was standing against a wall) and start saying "you call us fa**ots, pussy?!".
They knew I didn't they just wanted to start shit.
I didn't say a word, frozen with fear and one of them steps up and punched me in the forehead.
I say something to the effect of "stop stop no!" and they all go "oh shit this is just a kid, yo!" (I was pretty tall for my age)

They start apologizing profusely and trying to be nice and say it was just a joke and they're trying to help me toughen up.
Fucking assholes just wanted to jump somebody and got scared they'd get in trouble for assaulting a child.

pdknox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2022, 10:34:48 AM »
it happens pretty frequently to me, though "harass" is pretty harsh way to describe it.

Normally its people yelling at me to do a trick for them, like some sort of trained dog.  It makes me feel like im skating to  adlibs and my tricks are the verse.

Last go, this dude yelled from across the street "do a laser!"  I was wearing blazers and thought he was asking about my shoes.  I yelled back "blazers?!".  he repeated "do a laser!".  I yelled back again "blazers?!" pointing at my feet.  he replied "no do a laser flip!". 

it makes me wonder how he knew what laser flips were, and who he saw do them.  normally its an ollie or a kick flip they ask for.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2022, 12:00:38 PM »

Waxing nostalgic about having beer bottles thrown at you out the window of Trans-Ams. Where in the country does one have to go to find this level of disdain these days?

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 646
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2022, 12:18:50 PM »
Used to happen to me a lot more back in the day, but not as much recently. Although there was one time a month or two back where I was taking a call from my brother while skating a spot alone, and some dude pulled up with his crew on a board. He kept yelling at me to do a kickflip and after I ignored him a few times, he skated up to me and asked me to play a game of skate. I literally had my phone up to my ear and I pointed at it multiple times and shook my head, and this fool actually responded with something along the lines of "nah dude we can play while you're on the phone, come on!" I ignored him and he finally skated off, but came back twice within the span of 10 minutes to yell "do a kickflip" or "do a tre flip" again at me.

In short, fuck that dude.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2022, 05:10:37 PM »
Used to happen to me a lot more back in the day, but not as much recently. Although there was one time a month or two back where I was taking a call from my brother while skating a spot alone, and some dude pulled up with his crew on a board. He kept yelling at me to do a kickflip and after I ignored him a few times, he skated up to me and asked me to play a game of skate. I literally had my phone up to my ear and I pointed at it multiple times and shook my head, and this fool actually responded with something along the lines of "nah dude we can play while you're on the phone, come on!" I ignored him and he finally skated off, but came back twice within the span of 10 minutes to yell "do a kickflip" or "do a tre flip" again at me.

In short, fuck that dude.

That dude was me. i just want friend :(

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2022, 12:29:15 AM »
Just make sure to hide your tears.  It’s a sign of weakness and is to your hecklers as chum is to sharks.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2022, 01:48:58 AM »
The same old lady here who lived on our main plaza used to try and run the skaters over with her car, but I've told that story several times before as well as when she would try and steal our bags. She never managed to hit anyone but kept taunting us about how 'that would have made for at least one less of us'. Some tough luck is, her daughter also happened to work at the bar right across the street of our secondary plaza deeper downtown, and her husband worked at the garage two blocks away from my parents' house, the parking lot of which I would skate all the time. Her mental picture of skateboarders must have been insane.

Nowadays I never get harassed as an adult (which definitely helps - I do see so many concerned citizens sometimes straight up run past me and go straight for the kids) because I just try and behave responsibly - those who don't fear engaging with oddball me seem to actually respect and like me. The mentalities are definitely progressing. Already knowing this I was completely taken aback a couple weeks ago visiting Bordeaux and occasionally getting kicked out of spots - every interaction wasn't just civil, it was Japan-levels of courteous which contrasts so much with what I always was used to years back, in and out of that city. Objectively Leo Valls' involvement in the local politics there has only been resulting in fantastic results - I'm not saying this because he's a friend or am trying to shill (I never hid my connections anyway). I always believed in both responsible initiatives in general and his specific local actions respectively, and yet still this one time I really was genuinely hit by the extent of the results - which really means two things, one being Bordeaux right now is a better skate destination than ever and the other being anyone disappointed with how their local scene is being treated seriously enough to try and arrange things really should go read up on some Ocean Howell, and look into what's been spontaneously crystallizing under the neologism or hashtag 'skaturbanism' [sic] around Europe for the past few years now.

Thankfully we're moving on from eras such as the one of that one classic bank spot in Paris (not the La Défense one, the smaller but similar-looking one - now gone - near Porte d'Italie with the barrier on top), where people used to kick you out by throwing full, capped two-liter water or piss bottles out of their balcony on the 15th floor (I might have heard a story about a microwave oven before too unless it's my brain confusing and romancing things). No warnings ever and so you had to spend the whole session half on your board and half looking up just in case, fucking wild.

Now we're still talking exceptional European poles and everywhere around the world, smaller cities are bound to be late to catch up, but we can get there, especially with skateboarding in the Olympics suddenly motivating every other region to unlock new budgets.

Doom patrol

• Rep: 70
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2022, 03:27:01 AM »
Crazy guy ran out to try and spook me into slamming when I was bombing a mellow hill last weekend. Happily I did not slam.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2022, 05:38:58 AM »
By every degree by nearly every type of person. There's an old MJ article talking about skating the south and the worst thing is a carload of good old boys and I can really relate to that (moreso in my teens/early 20s). There's always busy bodies who think they're doing the right thing trying to stop you skate but a carload of bored rugby rejects pulling up was always the last thing you wanted. Maybe if you were lucky they were just drunk and wanted to show off how they can tick tack or foot shuffle on the spot for five mins bend down touch the nose and try a quad flip. More likely tho you're just waiting for them to start a fight.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2022, 05:59:23 AM »
By every degree by nearly every type of person. There's an old MJ article talking about skating the south and the worst thing is a carload of good old boys and I can really relate to that (moreso in my teens/early 20s). There's always busy bodies who think they're doing the right thing trying to stop you skate but a carload of bored rugby rejects pulling up was always the last thing you wanted. Maybe if you were lucky they were just drunk and wanted to show off how they can tick tack or foot shuffle on the spot for five mins bend down touch the nose and try a quad flip. More likely tho you're just waiting for them to start a fight.

In New Brunswick NJ 2011 or so, skating a college campus my friends and I had a car full of typical sports jocks (for the lack of a better term) and I'd assume their girlfriends drive by, stop upon sight then reverse maneuver to park next to us and I think to impress the girls they challenged any of us to a first try varial kickflip on flat for one buck. I instantly proceeded to nail a perfect one on my way to the guy with the bill to high five him bro style all the while telling him he could keep the buck, then he insisted that I should keep it. So it turned out they were nice but I always wondered what would have gone down instead had anyone of us missed the varial kickflip, haha.

That was an exception though because I get the do-a-kickflip thing a lot but otherwise by principle never submit, I just nod in the person's direction with a grin as approval that yes, they're indeed speaking the right language, congratulations then skate off and people usually just grin back. A bit foreign to me how one could actually get triggered by that stuff, not judging, I'm surprised but it's probably cultural. It's on the same level as a kid asking to play SKATE or if you can 360 flip as soon as you reach the entrance of the skatepark, happens once in a blue moon but is just one opportunity to improvise something funny back and gently fuck with people on the same level as they're trying to do.

El Freegano

• Rep: 217
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2022, 06:24:59 AM »
The most famous skate spot in Sofia 20 years ago was in a park very close to a stadium and a place where the nazis used to gather. One evening there was a football (soccer) game and when i was goin to the bus stop i saw a group of nazis which were younger then me but they were around 10 or something and they started calling me something because of my skateboard. I didn't turn but at one moment i felt something hit my backpack and then i saw that one of the guys was with a stick. I got lucky coz the bus was just coming and i run fast to it and the  driver shut the door before the nazis. Back in the day there were a lot of stories with friends that got in conflict with these fools. It was all territorial and we had our side of the park and they had theirs, but sometimes when they are a lot and see you alone it was no good.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2022, 07:21:33 PM »

I am nearly 42 and it’s honestly astonishing to me that most people here haven’t been harassed for skateboarding. What an era to grow up in.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2022, 12:39:09 PM »
Yeah in the mid 90s in So Cal, we’d be skating behind a store or something and a carload (or sometimes a couple of carloads) of essays would pull up. We were in high school and a lot of times these guys were like 18-20 years old. Sometimes we fought, sometimes they were cool. One took a hard board whack to the head one time while trying to start shit, and then they started bringing guns. Super lame. These interactions did teach me verbal judo though. Good life skill to have.

yghartsyrt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2022, 11:00:11 PM »
it happens pretty frequently to me, though "harass" is pretty harsh way to describe it.

Normally its people yelling at me to do a trick for them, like some sort of trained dog.  It makes me feel like im skating to  adlibs and my tricks are the verse.

Last go, this dude yelled from across the street "do a laser!"  I was wearing blazers and thought he was asking about my shoes.  I yelled back "blazers?!".  he repeated "do a laser!".  I yelled back again "blazers?!" pointing at my feet.  he replied "no do a laser flip!". 

it makes me wonder how he knew what laser flips were, and who he saw do them.  normally its an ollie or a kick flip they ask for.

Dude, if this is already harassment to you, I have some bad news for you…

In general, I was threatened (sometimes to point of getting beat up), when i was a teenager by nazis and small town rednecks/jocks. Never happened to me once I got into my mid 20s

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 456
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2022, 01:32:40 PM »
When I was a teenager I'd still get bottles and eggs occasionally thrown at me from moving vehicles... or cars 'jokingly' swerving at me like they're gonna hit me. All this well into the early 2000s in this hicktown shithole. The generation before me I know had it much much worse but it was still irritating.

Hell, just last night I was skating at the pier with my friend and it's supposed to close at 11 pm. We lost track of time and security asked us nicely to leave around 11:05. Being grown adults we politely complied and I didn't even complain to him about the dogshit littered around everywhere (even rolled through a dry turd.. rad!). As we were just about to ascend the metal grate walkway back up to leave some clown who runs a B&B on a boat moored to the pier starts losing it saying things like "EVERY SUMMER YOU SHITHEADS ARE HERE" yadda yadda and so on. I haven't been there in years but now I am motivated to go skate there every night until 10:59 purely out of spite for this guy trying to big man me in front of his wife. Yes, I am a very petty person sometimes, but we were having such a fun positive night until this bozo confronted us.

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2022, 02:51:05 PM »
More times than I can count. Just last week I was skating alone and this kid, probably 17ish came up and started telling me to do a kickflip and when I asked him what that was he switched to asking if I’d smoke him out. I don’t even smoke weed.

Or the time when I was 15 this homeless man sat down on the set we were skating and started beating his meat and looking at us. Showed his dominance there