Author Topic: Closer  (Read 3898 times)

The real veganshawn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 98
  • What the fuck was that
Closer
« on: June 02, 2022, 12:15:33 PM »
What did everyone think of the 1st issue ?? I enjoyed it, Lucero interview being my favorite part.
Cocteau Twins

Ed boy

• Rep: 80
Re: Closer
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2022, 02:00:35 PM »
Loved it

Skateboarding needs more print mags

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 398
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2022, 03:39:01 PM »
Does anyone know where we can get it in Europe?

Crusty Grundle

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2022, 04:01:57 PM »
Is this magazine worth the $20... I'm down to support but dang! $20 is a lot of scratch! I would like to know how many pages, and what's the content/articles like? I'm sure the photos are top-notch. This could be totally awesome or just mediocre... anyone have a copy in hand and willing to offer a review?

The real veganshawn

• Rep: 98
  • What the fuck was that
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2022, 04:19:12 PM »
Is this magazine worth the $20... I'm down to support but dang! $20 is a lot of scratch! I would like to know how many pages, and what's the content/articles like? I'm sure the photos are top-notch. This could be totally awesome or just mediocre... anyone have a copy in hand and willing to offer a review?
Nice large size print, great photos, many old. The Lucero interview was done by Chrome Ball so if youre familiar with them you know it's in depth. I think it's worth 20 bucks.
Cocteau Twins

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2022, 04:21:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Nice large size print, great photos, many old. The Lucero interview was done by Chrome Ball so if youre familiar with them you know it's in depth. I think it's worth 20 bucks.
Swish-boogie is worth his weight in gold.

Monopolyman

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2022, 04:36:33 PM »
Okay now I’m excited.  Cool you can just pick up in San Clemente as an option.  Been a while since I was this pumped anticipating physical media like this.

opesorry

• Rep: 21
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2022, 06:58:00 PM »

I was so excited to find it at my local that I didn’t flinch when I was told the price, but then driving home I was like why the fuck did I just spend that much on this. But after flipping through it I feel a lot better, the quality of everything is great and it seems like there’s a lot more to unpack in there than meets the eye at first.

k-nutz

• Rep: 49
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2022, 07:08:20 PM »
Does anyone have a link?  First time hearing about it, doubtful I'll see it on the east coast.

Sid Farkus - Bra Salesman

• Rep: 30
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2022, 07:19:25 PM »
Does anyone have a link?  First time hearing about it, doubtful I'll see it on the east coast.
http://closerskateboarding.myshopify.com/products/single-issue-copies-skate-shop-copies

I will order once I can find my wallet but I think this is a feasible format - quarterly & high quality. Glad JO is giving this a go and as previously stated - we can always use more mags(especially aimed at skate nerds) 
Free Charlie Rambo

BobbyPshew

• Rep: -61
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2022, 03:03:07 AM »
I'd love to subscribe, but the price...NZ$250 is something I can't spare, right now.
Ron Don's Playpen-Home Of The $2 Lap Dance

Frank and Fred

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2022, 08:44:07 AM »
Long beach Skate Shop has copies of Issue #1  for $10.

Shipping was $8 by itself but still cheaper than getting them direct. I have one on the way. If issue 1 is good Ill subscribe.

https://lbskate.com/collections/accessories/products/closer-magazine-issue-1

Monopolyman

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2022, 01:45:19 PM »
Can anyone explain what a “push cart” is?  Not familiar with the trick

Speedway

• Rep: 108
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2022, 03:17:57 PM »
Does anyone know where we can get it in Europe?

It should be with UK/Euro stockists imminently. It took a while for it to do the rounds internationally just due to general shipping timeframes.

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 167
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2022, 05:28:18 PM »

Sorry to bump this, but I just got around to reading.

Lucero is the man!

I second this question…

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2022, 06:33:56 PM »

I'm a subscriber and, I have to be careful how I phrase this, but I'd say it's worth it to the right person.
If you have an eye for high quality, printed media, photography and writing, it's definitely worth it.
The quality is such that it's almost more like a coffee table book than a magazine.
It's definitely a passion project. Jaime was sending out regular emails leading up to the first issue, I responded to one to ask him "is it CLOSER as in nearer, or CLOSER as in the opposite of opener?". He actually responded quickly with a very cool, friendly email explaining that it's CLOSER as in nearer, "getting closer to that raw skate action" haha.

So, yeah. It's a bit pricey, but what you're getting is a badass, grassroots passion project.
And that's the kind of project I like to put my money behind.

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2022, 06:43:04 PM »
Bit of a long shot but any word on an Australian distributor? I'd love to cop it but the postage is a bit eye watering
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

Not_Bruce

• Rep: -53
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2022, 06:56:18 PM »

Loved the first issue , if you enjoyed the golden era of skate magazines (slap, transworld, skateboarder, thrasher, color, concrete powder) this will really impress you with the layout , interviews and fantastic photography.

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 236
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2022, 07:33:55 PM »
Second issue coming soon.

Chico Brenes chromeball interview
James Hardy interview about his seizures
Spanky art feature

Needless to say, I’m stoked. I love the first one

Vds

• Rep: -43
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2022, 10:26:42 PM »
Love it. ,i haven't buy a magazine since Transworld but i bought this one

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2022, 11:18:11 PM »

Kissing an egg is no kind of style. It's the Olympics here, it's no stupid push-cart derby.

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 118
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2022, 08:12:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Kissing an egg is no kind of style. It's the Olympics here, it's no stupid push-cart derby.
watch Neil Blender in Ohio Skateout or Ban This

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 167
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2022, 09:12:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
watch Neil Blender in Ohio Skateout or Ban This

Thanks!  Think it’s at 4:01?