Author Topic: has sk8 board filming gotten WORSE!?  (Read 2578 times)

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: has sk8 board filming gotten WORSE!?
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2022, 02:56:17 PM »
Everyone watches everything once and usually on a small screen….why would it need to be done well?

LostBearings

• Rep: -6
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2022, 03:10:35 PM »
I feel like the edits contribute to this problem as well. A lot of people are trying to make their skate videos as "fast paced" as possible and the strobek zoom helps keep things moving to a certain extent. Obviously gets way out of hand sometimes but thats just my 2 cents.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
  • downward is heavenward
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2022, 04:45:21 PM »
I tried to remain neutral and just accept that the trends changed and people just like different things now but just watched a random vid and couldn't believe it. https://youtu.be/oxNayz4ANt4
Anyone who says filming is in anyway better than it was the generation before has to just be lying. Even as shitty as the people I knew were at skating if you filmed someone's manual this bad you were getting made fun of. Certainly weren't posting it for everyone to see like it was something good.

Perfect example of everything wrong with modern day filming, imo. These clips would've gotten torn apart on skate perception back in the day, ha! Maybe that's what the problem is... Ever since that site went under basic rules of composition are long gone.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2022, 05:19:50 PM »
I’d like to hear examples of actual full length or at least multi skater videos from yeasteryear that are good or bad compared to modern videos. For instance, I just rewatch Loophole’s New Doors Have Opened and I thought the filming was really good but many of you may not like it. As long as the skater is in the frame I am fine.

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2022, 07:05:34 PM »
Just watch Fritte's stuff. Fritte is the fuckin' truth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puVZ8UwBLZE&t=444s

They're working on a new Jante clip in Malmö and Gothenburg, so I got to hang with the boys a couple of days in the beginning and end of july.
I love them all, but wathing Gustav skate in person is something else.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -200
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2022, 07:14:34 PM »
The worst was that sword fighting zoom in and out filming that Yoan Taillander and Mandible Claw always did. Aside from the ridiculous power slides, it’s why I couldn’t take most Magenta videos seriously.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Brad Wesley

• Rep: 31
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2022, 07:52:47 PM »
I like Chris Mulhern and Chris Gregson's filming. My dream is for someone to go full Ang Lee and shoot a full-length video in 120fps 4:3 4K HDR. It's 2022. We have the technology. Crisp, vivid, high frame rate video in a square-ish format makes so much sense for skate footage, especially when filming tech tricks on stairs and handrails. Before the bandwidth and RAM limitations of the early YouTube era, every video from Shackle Me Not to Mosaic was shot in 60fps interlaced video (exceptions being clips shot on actual film - Ban This, Mouse, The End, etc).

I like drones too, as long as the filmer doesn't upstage the skater with a bunch of jarring drone maneuvers. The equipment used to shoot shouldn't distract from the skating.

Johnny $witchblade

• Rep: -87
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2022, 07:29:33 AM »
Everyone watches everything once and usually on a small screen….why would it need to be done well?

You're not serious are you?

donkey

• Rep: -65
  • donk
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2022, 07:46:30 AM »
I agree with the sentiment expressed by many in this thread. I'm simply burnt out. I could not even imagine wanting to pick up an HD camera and start filming with it let alone try to replicate the HD camera 16:9 look. Because most if not all of my influences were filmed with VX1000/mk1, I see no desire to try to film or watch anything that doesn't have that look to it, so I mainly stick around the 4:3 either vx1/mk1 or hd type videos. Of course thats not to say I dont watch and enjoy HD 16:9 footage, but theres a select few videos that I would bother watching again

wahwahwah

• Rep: -1
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2022, 04:11:17 AM »
Most VX filmers and editors are absolutely ass nowadays but I think people overlook it for nostalgia’s sake

Brian Panebianco is insanely good. I know u said most but i need to point him out anyways.
Sipe nousee sisään,
Niin nousee herkkokin.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2022, 03:04:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Most VX filmers and editors are absolutely ass nowadays but I think people overlook it for nostalgia’s sake
[close]

Brian Panebianco is insanely good. I know u said most but i need to point him out anyways.

Yes, he‘s a good filmer. I wish he wouldn‘t make these retro edits, though. Everything is a complete 90s cosplay. I mean I liked the 90s, the style, the tricks, the music and all that. But: give me a little variation at least! Is the best we can do to try to come as close as possible to copying some lost past?

Lucky_Basek

• Rep: 56
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2022, 03:40:48 PM »
The issue might not be is filming getting worse, but is there too much content?
Wheatley in Horses, Gustav in Sour Sol'n III, Millar in Roger 411, are some recent videos filmed so well.
There are many many more examples.
It just seems the irritating one stick out. If the fiming makes me feel sick, I just watch another video.
There is more content than can possibly be viewed and absorbed by any human.
Videos in the 80s and 90s weren't always filmed or edited better, but we were so desperate for content, we didn't really care....

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2022, 04:15:04 PM »
Just watch Fritte's stuff. Fritte is the fuckin' truth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puVZ8UwBLZE&t=444s

notice the skater's entire body almost NEVER goes out of frame in this entire video^ I agree, this guy does a great job at capturing the spot + the skater. feels like you get a good understanding of the spot + the steez in every clip.

with fisheye you have a tiny bit more leniency because the top of their body is so distorted its not a huge deal if it goes out of frame for a sec but i think ideally you still want to try and capture the arms.

that red bull clip was so bad because they were zooming IN on the feet when they should have been zooming OUT as the skater was getting closer so we could continue to see the arms and head throughout the landing.

if you are filming long lense I think you should be focusing on keeping the skater entire body as big as possible in the frame while still capturing the spot correctly. a lot of times on certain spots i dont like when i only have 1 angle because i like to have 1 angle where we can just see the spot in 1 frame in all it's glory. If the spot is very large, and we to try and shoot the clip this way, the skaters body will be very tiny :( and cant see any of the steez. so sometimes what i'll do is just try and get a roll up angle from the "establishing shot" and then my actual filming angle I will do something that we don't necessarily need to focus on the spot so much anymore because the audience understands where we are now - we can just focus on how the guy handled it.

not trying to claim like this is anything unique that i do by any means i think its pretty common sense, but hopefully helps someone out there :)
ONTARIO CANADA