Author Topic: Frankie Hill Nine Club  (Read 2466 times)

Natas Fauxas

Frankie Hill Nine Club
« on: August 14, 2022, 04:55:14 PM »
What do yall think? I thought he was the absolute shit when i was a kid. Holmes is 51 and looks half as old as Roger

Edit. Just went back and watched his Celebrity tropical fish part and i gotta say it did not hold up at all. I must be suffering from that big ass gap from that one Powell video i can remember in my old ass age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrIj08g1m80
« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 05:15:53 PM by Natas Fauxas »

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1053
Re: Frankie Hill Nine Club
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2022, 07:02:08 PM »
I might watch this one but the Nate Sherwood doc says it all. Curious to here what he’s up to now.

https://vimeo.com/21629293

Starting at 2:35 is his 2003 video part set to We Want Eazy. Shit’s hype…

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nZRM5P6rTz0
« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 07:22:31 PM by GardenSkater77 »

Willie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2022, 07:03:05 PM »
Members only video? I guess they think the old guys will shell out money for this?

The huge gap was in Propaganda.

Ricky Vaughn

• Rep: 265
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2022, 07:14:01 PM »
Dang. Can't wait to watch this at work tomorrow when I'm supposed to be checking emails
Tell the world to eat my dick
I’m a prick motherfucker
Life Hell Tough shit
I’m the bic motherfucker

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 616
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2022, 07:15:15 PM »
His Ban This part was monumental! That one had all my friends setting up their launch ramps next to handrails and shit  ;D Hate to play the comparison game but he maybe was the proto-Ben Gilley  ???

He really was the shit when I was a kid. I can't wait for this one  :)

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2022, 07:16:21 PM »
But can he do a handstand?

Mongey

• Rep: -5
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2022, 08:12:55 PM »
Is this some Mandela effect , alternative universe thing ? When I saw  this I was sure he was on a year ago and I had vivid  memories of listening to it.

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 235
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2022, 08:13:12 PM »
Members only video? I guess they think the old guys will shell out money for this?

Members only until tomorrow, they do this with every episode

JRF

• Rep: 145
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2022, 09:44:23 PM »
What do yall think? I thought he was the absolute shit when i was a kid. Holmes is 51 and looks half as old as Roger

Edit. Just went back and watched his Celebrity tropical fish part and i gotta say it did not hold up at all. I must be suffering from that big ass gap from that one Powell video i can remember in my old ass age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrIj08g1m80

My first sponsor me video was sent to powell peralta And I wore the green powell army shirt and red rat bones sweatpants through over half of the clips (full on Frankie ban this kit) I got sponsored off that footage…when I got the letter and a box of stuff from Todd hastings and in the letter todd said Frankie liked the footage I sent in, I was a fucking stoked 13 year old skate rat and that was the best compliment I could’ve possibly imagined back then. Always lived Frankie hill’s powell peralta video parts, specially his ban this part.
This is gonna be an amazing interview to watch when I go to bed.
//////////

JRF

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2022, 09:51:13 PM »

That gap is still big by today’s standards, he was in the air so long you could hear his wheels spinning, I’ll always remember that.
//////////

phillip dominguez

• Rep: 15
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2022, 04:08:18 AM »
Aside from him seemingly saying correct almost as much as Dashawn said facts in his episode, it’s been a good listen so far.

I do remember his self filmed parts towards the end of his Powell days, always just thought no one wanted to film him, that was the rumor at the time. 

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 118
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2022, 08:21:24 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That gap is still big by today’s standards, he was in the air so long you could hear his wheels spinning, I’ll always remember that.
wouldn't trust that, most of the Powell videos from that era dubbed the wheel noises. A lot that stuff was shot on 16mm with no audio

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2022, 08:23:14 AM »
Is this some Mandela effect , alternative universe thing ? When I saw  this I was sure he was on a year ago and I had vivid  memories of listening to it.
He's been on every other podcast, Jim Grey, maybe Clydes, I can't remember them all but I've listen3 other Frankie podcast

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 616
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2022, 08:30:13 AM »
I think it's hilarious that Crob keeps saying "the Rumorville" instead of "the rumor mill" (around 61:00 minutes in, talking about Hill's worker's comp claim).

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1053
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2022, 10:42:30 AM »
Did they ask him what else he does for work other than selling bulldog decks?

He’d have to sell thousands a year to live in Goleta.

Overall not a bad interview. Frankie seems like a pretty genuine guy.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2022, 10:48:41 AM »

I think he's a dentist or something

JRF

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2022, 12:06:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
wouldn't trust that, most of the Powell videos from that era dubbed the wheel noises. A lot that stuff was shot on 16mm with no audio

You can actually here your wheels spin in the air when you jump down that gap. Been there, skated it and watched others jump down it, it’s at some school in Goleta. The gap is long and a huge ass drop too
//////////

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 394
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2022, 01:48:13 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I think he's a dentist or something

Close!

Laboratorium technician at a dental clinic.

Pretty sure he makes more than enough money...

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2022, 03:13:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

You can actually here your wheels spin in the air when you jump down that gap. Been there, skated it and watched others jump down it, it’s at some school in Goleta. The gap is long and a huge ass drop too
regardless, all of the wheel noises intros era Powell videos are dubbed in, thats what every time some does a ledge trick or hits their tail it sounds the same, theres also no ambient noise other than skateboarding and corny sound effects in Powell videos.

Highonangeldust

• Rep: 620
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2022, 03:47:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
regardless, all of the wheel noises intros era Powell videos are dubbed in, thats what every time some does a ledge trick or hits their tail it sounds the same, theres also no ambient noise other than skateboarding and corny sound effects in Powell videos.

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -220
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2022, 05:52:52 PM »
Frankie’s favorite word is ‘correct’, in case you were wondering

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 394
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2022, 10:59:15 PM »
Frankie’s favorite word is ‘correct’, in case you were wondering

Correct

JRF

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2022, 12:47:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

I rode for powell/powell peralta from 1990 to 1997. I’m very aware of the “powell magic”editing. They did that shit to the point where it got that coin phrase.. I’m just saying that I’m pretty sure that the audio on that clip is genuine.. most of the time? yes, they ad in those dramatic noise effects.. I used to stay at the powell house that was right next to the skate zone, we watched a ton of raw footage from ban this, propaganda, celebrity tropical fish and eight.. we watched a ton of raw Frankie hill footage from that era. I don’t remember for sure if we watched the raw clip of that Ollie though..

//////////

JRF

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2022, 12:53:05 AM »
Also, powell didn’t actually use 16mm that often after public domain, most of the footage That looks like 16mm film was actually filmed on a cannon video-8/hi-8 camera from that era, there was a shutter speed option on that camera that made the film closely resemble 16mm film.
//////////