Author Topic: Selema Masekela: Hawk vs Wolf  (Read 2133 times)

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
Selema Masekela: Hawk vs Wolf
« on: August 08, 2022, 08:54:25 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3htPTxwrRc&t=1643s

I'll always have a soft spot for Selema. He was my dads favorite person. Watching xgames, and Hawk Tour, my dad saw Selema and was like, oh, this black guy is on everything, so maybe there is like a space for me in this. Seriously, my dad doesn't know Andy Mac from Bucky Lasek, but he fucking knows "Sal". The Selema not Sal bit in the beginning also hit home too.

Other stories include:
Underage gambling shawn white crying
he co-started Alphanumeric apparently
He worked for a lot of brands behind the scenes.
Skatepark tour stories

radcunt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
Re: Selema Masekela: Hawk vs Wolf
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2022, 08:56:09 AM »
Jason Ellis is too unbearable.

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2022, 10:48:53 AM »

This will probably keep me from listening, but I love Sal. Definitely a staple of my childhood as I consumed anything x games.

Baby on Board

• Rep: 33
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2022, 11:02:40 AM »

I don’t know why but I’m the total opposite, I eat up everything that fucking bogan spits out of his mouth. I love his self deprecating humor haha

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2022, 11:10:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I don’t know why but I’m the total opposite, I eat up everything that fucking bogan spits out of his mouth. I love his self deprecating humor haha
Are we listening to the same Jason Ellis? All he does is talk about how good he is at everything and how tuf he is. I'm better at improv comedy than the pro comics...

Quick questions for both where are you from and what kind of work do you do? I feel like other half bogans like me actually tend to get rubbed the wrong way a bit by him but mostly because we already deal with ten local Jason Ellis's a week.

Baby on Board

• Rep: 33
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2022, 11:28:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Are we listening to the same Jason Ellis? All he does is talk about how good he is at everything and how tuf he is. I'm better at improv comedy than the pro comics...

Quick questions for both where are you from and what kind of work do you do? I feel like other half bogans like me actually tend to get rubbed the wrong way a bit by him but mostly because we already deal with ten local Jason Ellis's a week.

I’m from redneck ass Texas so I think it’s his Australian accent mixed with his redneck tendencies that are just entertaining as hell to me. I do enjoy his stand up sets and I’m happy that he’s happy in life now. Good to see him skating again, staying sober, and overall pushing himself towards a better life.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2022, 11:53:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I’m from redneck ass Texas so I think it’s his Australian accent mixed with his redneck tendencies that are just entertaining as hell to me. I do enjoy his stand up sets and I’m happy that he’s happy in life now. Good to see him skating again, staying sober, and overall pushing himself towards a better life.
Yeah that makes sense. Like I said I think if you're actually Australian it hits different. I've heard Jim Jefferies complain a bit how he never really had success in Aus and it's kinda the same thing. You probably meet another Jim Jefferies type guy every week.

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2022, 12:57:11 PM »

I'll always have a soft spot for Selema. He was my dads favorite person. Watching xgames, and Hawk Tour, my dad saw Selema and was like, oh, this black guy is on everything, so maybe there is like a space for me in this. Seriously, my dad doesn't know Andy Mac from Bucky Lasek, but he fucking knows "Sal". The Selema not Sal bit in the beginning also hit home too.

Other stories include:
Skatepark tour stories

I got a huge soft spot for Sal myself. When Tony Hawk did the Gigantic Skatepark Tour in 2000. I got him to sign a skateboard for me! He was really nice and super generous with his time. Here's the video of the day!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ryyT9Oh_2U&t=379s

sluggers

• Rep: -405
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2022, 03:58:11 PM »
Ellis going right in giving up the story of how he was kicked off XYZ on a conference call for supposedly being gay and the entire team laughing on the call is priceless.

Tony not wanting to talk about it and immediately turning back to Sal is the icing on the cake.

Also, pleasant to look at young ladies get hired at greater frequency at ales jobs than men, see real estate agents, pharmaceutical reps, your local weed shop. So I’m not surprised Sal wasn’t hired back after they found a young surfer girl to hawk their wares. Facts of life, not always about skin color. Who would the majority of you want working with you on your shift.?

23shinseal

• Rep: -15
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2022, 10:49:14 PM »
Ellis going right in giving up the story of how he was kicked off XYZ on a conference call for supposedly being gay and the entire team laughing on the call is priceless.

Tony not wanting to talk about it and immediately turning back to Sal is the icing on the cake.

Also, pleasant to look at young ladies get hired at greater frequency at ales jobs than men, see real estate agents, pharmaceutical reps, your local weed shop. So I’m not surprised Sal wasn’t hired back after they found a young surfer girl to hawk their wares. Facts of life, not always about skin color. Who would the majority of you want working with you on your shift.?
did you pay attention, he said a guy phoned him after and told him, the boss said he didn't fit the look  a Cali surf shop should have. ie black dudes don't surf.

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2022, 08:30:26 AM »
Just seeing this dudes name hits me with such a nostalgia wave of like Xgames 2000/Secret Skatepark Tour/Pizza Rolls. It's insane. Can't wait to check this.

Jason is a pain in the ass but he's also an interesting character in skating because he was a bisexual vert skater in the mid/late 90s who ran with v straight crews like Danny Way/Tony Hawk etc etc but who was a loudmouth that could also kick everyone's ass. Idk, that's just an interesting perspective.

Also it's worth posting every time that Selema is Hugh Masekela's son. THAT Hugh Masekela:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUU9tVScxzg

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1238
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2022, 08:41:59 AM »
Who?
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2022, 08:43:48 AM »

Other stories include:
Skatepark tour stories

Alpha Numeric was a sick ass company I still have a Alphanumeric shirt in the closet shits like 20yrs old and in excellent condition

Gotta hear the Shaun white shit

alienlurkshop

• Rep: -31
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2022, 04:16:03 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
did you pay attention, he said a guy phoned him after and told him, the boss said he didn't fit the look  a Cali surf shop should have. ie black dudes don't surf.

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 105
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2022, 08:11:05 PM »

This is grossly ignorant and racist; I expect you know that. Him being known as “Sal” for decades is a direct product of white banality and supremacy. He readopted Selema, both privately and publicly, after several highly publicized unjust murders of Black people...

”I was like, This is it! We’re done. That’s a wrap. I’m Selema Mabena Masekela from this day forward. And if anybody has a problem with it, it’s not my problem! What are you doing? This is your name. This is your grandfather’s name. This is your being....
Because if we’re going to continue to f*cking get killed just simply for existing and looking a certain way and be called in the question as to whether or not we belong in certain spaces and having to prove that, like.... Then you’re going to have to say my name.”

Selema is a rad dude and he’s no culture vulture. He’s been around a long time for and I’m grateful for it.

He does a brand out of South Africa called Mami Wata that is super sick. Excellent quality on the clothes, too. They put out a book called ‘Afro Surf,’ that’s locals all over the continent telling their own stories and showcasing their surfing and art. I highly recommend it to anyone.

He has an interview on Talib Kweli’s podcast, ‘People’s Party,’ that is worth a listen.

Tldr: Sal’s the shit and this opinion is butt.

too fakie

• Rep: 63
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2022, 08:53:55 PM »
I’d take Sal over whoever the fuck it is they have doing the contest circuits these days. Not sure how much he actually skated (I remember him dropping in on a very ramp but not much else) but he seemed to be the one guy that didn’t really skate that still carried a good amount of respect and credibility. He had a lot of respect for skating without being a cornball. Love that dude.

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 241
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2022, 12:43:49 AM »
I’d take Sal over whoever the fuck it is they have doing the contest circuits these days. Not sure how much he actually skated (I remember him dropping in on a very ramp but not much else) but he seemed to be the one guy that didn’t really skate that still carried a good amount of respect and credibility. He had a lot of respect for skating without being a cornball. Love that dude.

He said he dropped in on vert a couple times and grinded a gnarly cement bowl corner and tony gave him props. That’s enough for me, even if he doesn’t really consider himself much of a skater. I always had a soft spot for dude and liked seeing him announce contests when I was young. Super cool learning about his history later, my brother was the one who told me about his dad and I was like wow this dude is sick. Hearing the story about being fired cause he’s black definitely put a lump in my throat. Dude is forever sick in my book and definitely an important part of our culture. Super sick to see what he’s doing these days. Respect to him. Would have liked to hear what he was gonna say at the end but he was cut off and tony was like on that note we’re out, but Selema was left hanging, seeming like he still had something to say.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2022, 06:01:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm Australian, so I don't know if that changes it a bit, but it's that personality type that rubs me the wrong way.  Like, a tough guy who's gone sensitive and wont stop talking about how insane it is hes actually a nice guy.  The kind of guy that in any discussion will try and plop in some kind of line that attempts to stop the conversation flat with some kind of hugely personal or confessional fact that is hard to ignore and divert all the attention to himself.  Drives me mad, as it's usually employed by 'reformed' bullies, aggro big ego pricks to passively control situations. 

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2022, 06:38:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'm Australian, so I don't know if that changes it a bit, but it's that personality type that rubs me the wrong way.  Like, a tough guy who's gone sensitive and wont stop talking about how insane it is hes actually a nice guy.  The kind of guy that in any discussion will try and plop in some kind of line that attempts to stop the conversation flat with some kind of hugely personal or confessional fact that is hard to ignore and divert all the attention to himself.  Drives me mad, as it's usually employed by 'reformed' bullies, aggro big ego pricks to passively control situations.

Hah, I can see that. I have a friend who is exactly like that.

This description applies to a lot of very different comedians by the way: Marc Maron, Theo von, Pete Davidson, Bobby Lee, Whitney Cummings and many others. Having no boundaries is almost a requirement for the podcasting comedian.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2022, 07:23:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Hah, I can see that. I have a friend who is exactly like that.

This description applies to a lot of very different comedians by the way: Marc Maron, Theo von, Pete Davidson, Bobby Lee, Whitney Cummings and many others. Having no boundaries is almost a requirement for the podcasting comedian.

Yeah, it's more when it's mixed with tough guy shit though. Rollins invented the genre, but he doesn't bother me with it, but Mike V does it, of course.  They think they're blowing your mind with the fact they use their minds while being a beefman who could smash yr head in.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1135
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2022, 08:00:13 PM »
fucking love this dude. my childhood is always remembered when I hear his voice and almost always makes me think of my dad and I sitting on the couch watching xgames

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • S&H
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2022, 04:48:05 PM »
Made it to 2:50 which is where all 3 of them don't know Sal stands for Salvador when talking about Sal Barbier

Youoverthere

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2022, 05:27:31 AM »
Can anyone help me find a video of sal dropping a watermelon of a halfpipe to show how bad the Jake brown fall was?

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"