Author Topic: Bad Sponsor Choices - Hall of Fame  (Read 18482 times)

Mean salto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
Re: Bad Sponsor Choices - Hall of Fame
« Reply #150 on: August 14, 2022, 01:34:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Leo Romero quitting RVCA for Eswic
[close]

Good one! Didn’t CK leave them as well for Fourstar? -
both horrible decisions
[close]

Maybe RVCA wasn’t core enough for them
But I would have liked to see Leo get supported post SOTY.

Who was that worlds best dad guy - is he still in the industry?
[close]

Ck left ruca for eswic, then got cold feet and ran back to ruca.   Smart move.   That Jimmy arrighi (worlds best dad) mentioned it on those videos he did where he’d repeat the same joke to 20 different skaters at a premier who couldn’t hear, didn’t know who he was, wanted to find a friend, or drink
Templeton and maybe Cairo left rvca for eswic and went back later (Templeton def went back Cairo maybe not) Corey Kennedy def went rvca to 4star. Reminds me Reynolds left 4star for 1984/ol' 84

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 270
« Reply #151 on: August 14, 2022, 03:12:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

both horrible decisions
[close]

[close]

Ck left ruca for eswic, then got cold feet and ran back to ruca.   Smart move.   That Jimmy arrighi (worlds best dad) mentioned it on those videos he did where he’d repeat the same joke to 20 different skaters at a premier who couldn’t hear, didn’t know who he was, wanted to find a friend, or drink
[close]
Templeton and maybe Cairo left rvca for eswic and went back later (Templeton def went back Cairo maybe not) Corey Kennedy def went rvca to 4star. Reminds me Reynolds left 4star for 1984/ol' 84

Hah yes 1984.   One of those weird Ellington clothing sponsors like November that seemed to exist between the flapping of a bees wings

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65241
  • Team -65K
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #152 on: August 14, 2022, 03:21:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

both horrible decisions
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Hah yes 1984.   One of those weird Ellington clothing sponsors like November that seemed to exist between the flapping of a bees wings

I am surprised to discover Altamont still exists.

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #153 on: August 14, 2022, 04:03:06 AM »
braden hoban having the monster logo printed onto the sleeve of his bob dylan t shirts sincerely annoys me. it’s not even just energy drink sponsors alone being lame for obvious reasons, especially in the skateboard world. that has been beaten to death already. it’s just like, chris russell wearing a ‘venom’ shirt or whatever other type of metal band along with a red bull hat is off putting enough and mixing 2 different worlds. to actually have the monster logo custom printed onto a shirt of one of the most important and legendary musicians of all time is just kind of disgusting to me. just put the sticker on your board and wear a hat if you need to, merging those two worlds is the most upsetting thing i’ve seen in some time as far as skateboarding sponsorship goes, especially being that i like his skating. i don’t see how he can do that on espn/live television without them getting a cease and desist.

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #154 on: August 14, 2022, 04:16:59 AM »
braden hoban having the monster logo printed onto the sleeve of his bob dylan t shirts sincerely annoys me. it’s not even just energy drink sponsors alone being lame for obvious reasons, especially in the skateboard world. that has been beaten to death already. it’s just like, chris russell wearing a ‘venom’ shirt or whatever other type of metal band along with a red bull hat is off putting enough and mixing 2 different worlds. to actually have the monster logo custom printed onto a shirt of one of the most important and legendary musicians of all time is just kind of disgusting to me. just put the sticker on your board and wear a hat if you need to, merging those two worlds is the most upsetting thing i’ve seen in some time as far as skateboarding sponsorship goes, especially being that i like his skating. i don’t see how he can do that on espn/live television without them getting a cease and desist.
Im less disgusted and more just think its kinda funny. I don't know all the rules for how the energy drink sponno works but you'd think someone could just be like hey man maybe just wear a toy machine or emerica shirt with the little monster logo when you skate and save the casual band t shirts for when you're just hanging out.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #155 on: August 14, 2022, 08:11:24 AM »
putting a monster logo on a bob dylan shirt is hilarious

rawr1922

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
« Reply #156 on: August 14, 2022, 08:22:39 AM »
Dashawn Jordan on Business and Company

Sizzla

• Rep: 223
  • I luv I jah
« Reply #157 on: August 14, 2022, 08:38:25 AM »
have you considered how much bob dylan sucks though

Sizzla I quote da mon ras P-Rod, “Bob Dylan is a G.”
I an I haff nah white god

WavyDavy

• Rep: 128
« Reply #158 on: August 14, 2022, 10:03:45 AM »
Paradox Griptape

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 382
« Reply #159 on: August 14, 2022, 10:10:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Darell Stanton leaving real and vans for plan b and DC
[close]
darell leaving plan b and dc for element and element footwear

think he got dropped from Plan B and DC.

$$LESH

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Rep: 164
« Reply #160 on: August 14, 2022, 10:25:37 AM »
would you rather have a monster logo printed on every shirt you own or sound like bob dylan with his nuts in a vice every time you picked up an acoustic guitar

GauchoAmigo

• Rep: 66
« Reply #161 on: August 14, 2022, 11:30:04 AM »
i don’t see how he can do that on espn/live television without them getting a cease and desist.

you think Bob Dylan's record label is going to send ESPN a cease and desist because a skateboarder wore a modified band tee? lmao

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1065
« Reply #162 on: August 14, 2022, 11:50:45 AM »
Jimmy Gorecki on Ice Cream.

Jimmy used his connections and experience from ice cream to build pink dolphin and other successful brands his own brands.

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #163 on: August 14, 2022, 05:28:21 PM »
Lord Freddy going with "Recs" over 90's DC Shoe CO.

Jordan Hoffart's entire career...and on and on.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 716
« Reply #164 on: August 14, 2022, 05:47:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Heath on Monster trucks
[close]

Monster trucks on existence
[close]
Speaking of these, I went through some of my old skate stuff and found my cousins monster trucks with the eyes on them ahaha. What a life, am I right?
[close]

I put monster trucks on a gonz reissue when I was like 11-12, but the hole pattern was different so I could only have 2 hardware per truck. Needless to say I got some weird looks from the old heads at the park..

I had them back in the day and whatever the bushing setup was they legitimately didn’t work.  I wasn’t picky at all about skate stuff when I was younger but they were completely unskateable 

Ricky Vaughn

• Rep: 265
« Reply #165 on: August 14, 2022, 06:44:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Didn't Andy Mac quit Powell to start Andy Mac skateboards or something like that? Pre Positiv
[close]

Andy mac was a department store brand. and I wouldn’t be surprised if they were made by skate one. I remember them being pretty good. I rode someone else’s and it was first department store board I stepped on that was in the park and actually had concave.

Also on his nine club he said he’s rode for Powell the whole time. Positiv was a skate one brand.

Cool, I couldn't remember. Skate one decks are good quality even if "not cool" or whatever
Tell the world to eat my dick
I’m a prick motherfucker
Life Hell Tough shit
I’m the bic motherfucker

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #166 on: August 14, 2022, 07:23:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Heath on Monster trucks
[close]

Monster trucks on existence
[close]
Speaking of these, I went through some of my old skate stuff and found my cousins monster trucks with the eyes on them ahaha. What a life, am I right?
[close]

I put monster trucks on a gonz reissue when I was like 11-12, but the hole pattern was different so I could only have 2 hardware per truck. Needless to say I got some weird looks from the old heads at the park..
[close]

I had them back in the day and whatever the bushing setup was they legitimately didn’t work.  I wasn’t picky at all about skate stuff when I was younger but they were completely unskateable
Was it the bushings or did they come fucked up tight as stock? A friend got them and they already had like ten threads showing brand new. He was really into Warhammer and painted them so they looked cool at least.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -52
« Reply #167 on: August 14, 2022, 07:55:31 PM »
Haha this place is such a salt mine.

It's really easy to be soooo above repping Monster when you're a nobody who Monster will never know exists let alone approach for sponsorship.
I know you would totally turn down a huge payday and medical benefits in the name of "keeping it real".
We're all so very proud of you and your super, extra smart hypothetical decision you'll never confront.

Skateboarding can be such a lobster bucket. "wait what? you can actually make enough money to live a decent life and maybe provide for your family? Fuck you poser!"
I think it's kinda awesome that Braydon was like "aight I'll rep your logo but I'm wearing a Dylan shirt, if you wanna put your logo on the sleeve of my Bob Dylan shirt we can do that I guess".

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
« Reply #168 on: August 14, 2022, 08:15:23 PM »
would you rather have a monster logo printed on every shirt you own or sound like bob dylan with his nuts in a vice every time you picked up an acoustic guitar
I see what you did here so have a gnar!  The Berle Austin insta beef was hilarious. 

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1156
  • old and in the way
« Reply #169 on: August 14, 2022, 08:20:51 PM »

It's really easy to be soooo above repping Monster when you're a nobody who Monster will never know exists let alone approach for sponsorship.
I know you would totally turn down a huge payday and medical benefits in the name of "keeping it real".
We're all so very proud of you and your super, extra smart hypothetical decision you'll never confront.

Skateboarding can be such a lobster bucket. "wait what? you can actually make enough money to live a decent life and maybe provide for your family? Fuck you poser!"
I think it's kinda awesome that Braydon was like "aight I'll rep your logo but I'm wearing a Dylan shirt, if you wanna put your logo on the sleeve of my Bob Dylan shirt we can do that I guess".

If a pro skater can live a much better quality of life by have a little logo on their shirt sleeve that's sick. Sometimes though it's a drag when a pro starts wearing the energy drink gear and looking like a Nascar driver that it can fuck up the aesthetic ability to appreciate the skating.
Anyways it would be rad if Hoban could get a little Monster logo on one of Leo Romero's hand sharpied tee shirts.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #170 on: August 14, 2022, 08:49:13 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If a pro skater can live a much better quality of life by have a little logo on their shirt sleeve that's sick. Sometimes though it's a drag when a pro starts wearing the energy drink gear and looking like a Nascar driver that it can fuck up the aesthetic ability to appreciate the skating.
Anyways it would be rad if Hoban could get a little Monster logo on one of Leo Romero's hand sharpied tee shirts.

I can say with confidence that Jamie Foy wearing a Red Bull hat never took away from my appreciation for a badass, 10ft frontside crook shuv out. Now if skaters started wearing full blown uniforms for contests, yeah, it'd be a bummer for me and I might even stop watching contests.
But I maintain I wouldn't be mad at the skaters themselves for jumping on an opportunity and I wouldn't be salty that skateboarding hit that level.
Let's face facts, it probably won't be our personal social club forever. At least not consistently.
I've watched skateboarding wax and wane in popularity over and over these past few decades, and to my eyes it's never really been a private social club to begin with.

It's a lot like music, but it's not music. A specific music scene has a lot of people with a relatively unified idea of the sound they want, but skateboarding doesn't. We all enjoy skateboarding differently. A skateboard is more like a guitar than a music genre, it's an instrument you can use in wildly different and unrelated ways.
I can go to a park and see people in punk rock battle vests doing wallrides and bonelesses on shaped boards, people in sports jerseys and gold chains bumping Lil Durk on a bluetooth speaker skating the funbox, kids with broccoli-head haircuts, supreme hoodies and nike dunks trying dolphin flips on the flat, people dressed more like they're on their way to the golf course than the skatepark hitting up the manny pad, and just normal looking family men who you'd never even know were skaters doing...well...whatever they feel like.
We're not a monolith. Skateboarding isn't as different from basketball, football, etc as some people want to think. 

EDIT - To add a funny, semi-ironic anecdote, I'd be willing to bet at least a handful of the people on here mad about corporate sponsors and hate every company except There and Polar (or whatever the newest hipster companies are now)  started skating because of THPS.
Guess what? We used to make fun of you! We used to fume about all these stupid fucking kids who don't know shit about "real" skating and are now tourists in our beloved scene because of some cheesedick mass-market video game.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 09:00:49 PM by KC_Rookie »

cky enthusiast

« Reply #171 on: August 14, 2022, 09:01:13 PM »

I can go to a park and see ppl in punk rock battle vests doing wallrides and bonelesses on shaped boards, people in sports jerseys and gold chains bumping Lil Durk on a bluetooth speaker skating the funbox, kids with broccoli-head haircuts, supreme hoodies and nike dunks trying dolphin flips on the flat, people dressed more like they're on their way to the golf course than the skatepark hitting up the manny pad, and just normal looking family men who you'd never even know were skaters doing...well...whatever they feel like.

this is quite the impassioned defense for wearing soda logos on your shirt

also if you saw me skate u’d prolly think im fuckin w/ this:

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #172 on: August 14, 2022, 09:10:06 PM »

this is quite the impassioned defense for wearing soda logos on your shirt

I dunno if you're intentionally missing the point.
It's not an "impassioned defense of soda logos".
It's an answer to people trying to pigeonhole skateboarding into what they think it should be, ignoring that not everyone shares your beliefs and can genuinely enjoy it in a completely different way than you.
I'm not even a fan of energy drink sponsorships, and I sure as shit don't drink them.I'm just not salty about it either and it doesn't affect my enjoyment of skateboarding in any way, shape or form.

EDIT - to clarify, I agree with a degree of gatekeeping in skateboarding. But only in paying your dues actually skating.
When it gets into "oh and you also have to love these brands and hate these brands and wear these clothes but never wear these clothes..." that's when it get's into the territory of everything I started skating to get away from...

cky enthusiast

« Reply #173 on: August 14, 2022, 09:17:28 PM »
right but you’re saying all this to drive home your point about people wearing energy drink logos

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #174 on: August 14, 2022, 09:32:46 PM »
right but you’re saying all this to drive home your point about people wearing energy drink logos

It was never "defend energy logos", it was about maybe don't shit talk people taking the opportunities offered to them to make a decent living. Skaters are woefully underpaid unless you're a contest killer.
The energy drink logos were never really the point. You could apply this to any of the numerous companies people here talk shit on (Plan B, Flip, Enjoi, Habitat, Powell/Bones, Almost, Santa Cruz, Every truck company but Indy, Every wheel company but Spitfire, etc)
 I knew I'd get kooked into oblivion for speaking up, but I hoped it'd at least be clear I wasn't saying "Energy drink sponsorships are fuckin' tits!"   

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
« Reply #175 on: August 14, 2022, 10:08:29 PM »
It's a lot like music, but it's not music. A specific music scene has a lot of people with a relatively unified idea of the sound they want, but skateboarding doesn't. We all enjoy skateboarding differently. A skateboard is more like a guitar than a music genre, it's an instrument you can use in wildly different and unrelated ways.

If you really mean that then it shouldn't bother you either if to someone else, obnoxious logos and affiliations can pollute a skater's footage and aesthetic like @funeral_tuxedo said (to try and retain the parallel with music, then maybe just like over production would). The original observation actually is a fair one to make even from a business standpoint - annoying the consumer with your logo qualifies as bad marketing - and, in the particular case of energy drinks, also a matter of personal ethics since those deals really consist in using both your name and your passion for skateboarding to market poison to kids. Not everyone finds this acceptable enough for ten feet long frontside crooked grinds to compensate for it.

WavyDavy

• Rep: 128
« Reply #176 on: August 14, 2022, 10:22:00 PM »
also if you saw me skate u’d prolly think im fuckin w/ this:

This u?

Ricky Vaughn

• Rep: 265
« Reply #177 on: August 15, 2022, 04:10:10 AM »
Lord Freddy going with "Recs" over 90's DC Shoe CO.

Jordan Hoffart's entire career...and on and on.

Kinda Recs'ed his shoe sponsor on that one
Tell the world to eat my dick
I’m a prick motherfucker
Life Hell Tough shit
I’m the bic motherfucker

Goodcurbs

• Rep: -279
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #178 on: August 15, 2022, 04:17:07 AM »
Vincent Miliou on Pizza