Author Topic: The Value of Criticism with Jerry Hsu  (Read 3904 times)

nevrwasben

Re: The Value of Criticism with Jerry Hsu
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2022, 02:46:35 PM »
Listening on the drive home today for sure, thanks for posting.
I love Jerry!!

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 646
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2022, 03:18:24 PM »
This is why Jerry is my favorite skater and photographer. Getting to hear about his creative process and how his wife plays into it was so cool. But hands down my favorite part was when he touched on his family and the dynamics with the cultural difference. I'm also a Chinese immigrant, so that really hit home. Growing up was always a constant battle with my parents because they expected me to go down their path to success, and I always had to butt heads with them to do the things that I was passionate about instead.

steele

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 31
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2022, 01:00:37 AM »
That was great. Cheers.

hotstudios_on_youtube

• Rep: -65
  • ???
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2022, 07:44:45 AM »
they also hhave ated barrow episode lol

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1290
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2022, 07:47:20 AM »
Didn't know his parents were also from Taiwan. Some real shit he talked about with choosing individualism over family in some sense towards the end. Relatable stuff for some first generation folks.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2022, 07:52:35 AM »
Didn't know his parents were also from Taiwan. Some real shit he talked about with choosing individualism over family in some sense towards the end. Relatable stuff for some first generation folks.

This hit pretty hard on me as well being first generation. Such a solid listen.

elbarto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 34
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2022, 10:06:50 AM »
they also hhave ated barrow episode lol

This looks like a Baltimore Hardcore EP cover lmao
“I’ll whoop your ass with my arm out of socket”

I_Respect_Wood

• Rep: 11
    • HH avatar image
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2022, 10:23:09 AM »
I knew about this pod thanks to that Ted Barrow interview, so far I listened a few eps and is a good podcast.

The Jerry episode was great, looking forward the new episode with Caleb barnett.

If I wasnt me, I never hang out with me...

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/qaL3qBBUWZRPXT5R7T" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/new-york-supreme-ben-kadow-qaL3qBBUWZRPXT5R7T">via GIPHY</a></p>

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2022, 11:29:12 AM »
I love Jerry.

I can relate a lot to what he said about being a creative and the creative process for both photography and design. It’s always reassuring to hear that those who have seeming “made it” still struggle with the same issues as everyone else.

I had actually saved this interview to listen to on the way to a demo he’d be at the other day, so it was kinda funny hearing him talking through my radio then seeing him in person shortly there after. He’s shorter than I expected. Unfortunately he wasn’t skating so I didn’t get to see a storm flip in person - even though there was a perfect bank for one.

But he was nice enough to take the time and sign a copy of his book for me and let me take his picture. He even asked the spelling of my name - which never happens and signed it in a heart. Seems like a super genuine guy based on my interaction and seeing him with others there as well.

This is also a good listen.

https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/apology/id1487653217?i=1000474842881