Author Topic: Polar Full Length - "SOUNDS LIKE YOU GUYS ARE CRUSHING IT"  (Read 46543 times)

Tabletop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -72
Re: Polar Full Length - "SOUNDS LIKE YOU GUYS ARE CRUSHING IT"
« Reply #150 on: September 25, 2022, 11:17:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
thought the video was good. not as good as the last two polar videos, but i enjoyed it more than i expected to. great music supervision. really curious as to how pontus curated the footage for this. felt like a lot of stuff was really old, and there isn't enough footage of some people given the four year wait between videos. i also share the sentiment that having some people have parts versus some people with footage scattered throughout is kinda weird. dunno why he refuses to give oski a full part in any of these vids.

starts with a fast-paced malmo montage. shin's only footage is in here (unfortunately).

jamie has first part. didn't know what to expect but he's got good lanky style and all the london footage in here meshed well with polar's aesthetic. i'm a fan

kyle wilson has a guest trick, which is cool but also drives home how fucking white this company is

there was an LA montage at some point early on in the video. i don't really remember it.

i think there was a portland montage with some of oski's best clips at that DIY bridge thing that segues into dane brady's part? it's short and sweet, gnarlier than his other parts and feels like every trick counts.

transitions to an NYC montage and then aaron's part, which isn't as 50-50 heavy as i'd been led to believe. he does what he's good at but there are some surprises thrown in there, then it's back to portland with emile and nick boserio. emile's clips were a highlight of the video, for sure. his energy is contagious. love watching brass skate but couldn't help but notice how old all of his footage is

no nick rios part, just four clips, which is such a fucking bummer. (no ben lawrie either but i didn't expect that.) i try to judge videos on what they are and not what i wanted them to be, but i'm really disappointed on that front

now we're in paris for roman and paul's parts. roman's part is sort of business as usual (nothing bad, just mostly expected) but paul fucking kills it. hope this isn't it for his career now that he's the TM, seems like he's just starting to really blossom

hjalte! probably the most "normal" part of the video, editing-wise, and exactly what you'd hope to see from him. loved the little jarmers section towards the end

if you guys like ville, you're in for a treat. and if you don't... well, sorry, cuz i feel like he's on screen for half the video AND he has last part. his skating is really floppy and i probably won't rewatch this part often

the end, then pontus has a clip, then it's over
[close]

did Jerome Campbell quietly retire or something?

Or did I miss something?
[close]

I think after “I like it here inside” . Or was that someone else?
[close]
They let most the og pro team go in like 2015ish. (Clip for comparison)
As far as being too white, they're from northern Europe what are ya gonna do. Shins Japanese and boserio is maybe half Indonesian or something. Still not great.

Do you think there are no POC in Northern Europe or Europe in general for that matter?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #151 on: September 25, 2022, 12:30:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
thought the video was good. not as good as the last two polar videos, but i enjoyed it more than i expected to. great music supervision. really curious as to how pontus curated the footage for this. felt like a lot of stuff was really old, and there isn't enough footage of some people given the four year wait between videos. i also share the sentiment that having some people have parts versus some people with footage scattered throughout is kinda weird. dunno why he refuses to give oski a full part in any of these vids.

starts with a fast-paced malmo montage. shin's only footage is in here (unfortunately).

jamie has first part. didn't know what to expect but he's got good lanky style and all the london footage in here meshed well with polar's aesthetic. i'm a fan

kyle wilson has a guest trick, which is cool but also drives home how fucking white this company is

there was an LA montage at some point early on in the video. i don't really remember it.

i think there was a portland montage with some of oski's best clips at that DIY bridge thing that segues into dane brady's part? it's short and sweet, gnarlier than his other parts and feels like every trick counts.

transitions to an NYC montage and then aaron's part, which isn't as 50-50 heavy as i'd been led to believe. he does what he's good at but there are some surprises thrown in there, then it's back to portland with emile and nick boserio. emile's clips were a highlight of the video, for sure. his energy is contagious. love watching brass skate but couldn't help but notice how old all of his footage is

no nick rios part, just four clips, which is such a fucking bummer. (no ben lawrie either but i didn't expect that.) i try to judge videos on what they are and not what i wanted them to be, but i'm really disappointed on that front

now we're in paris for roman and paul's parts. roman's part is sort of business as usual (nothing bad, just mostly expected) but paul fucking kills it. hope this isn't it for his career now that he's the TM, seems like he's just starting to really blossom

hjalte! probably the most "normal" part of the video, editing-wise, and exactly what you'd hope to see from him. loved the little jarmers section towards the end

if you guys like ville, you're in for a treat. and if you don't... well, sorry, cuz i feel like he's on screen for half the video AND he has last part. his skating is really floppy and i probably won't rewatch this part often

the end, then pontus has a clip, then it's over
[close]

did Jerome Campbell quietly retire or something?

Or did I miss something?
[close]

I think after “I like it here inside” . Or was that someone else?
[close]
They let most the og pro team go in like 2015ish. (Clip for comparison)
As far as being too white, they're from northern Europe what are ya gonna do. Shins Japanese and boserio is maybe half Indonesian or something. Still not great.
[close]

Do you think there are no POC in Northern Europe or Europe in general for that matter?
No of course there is. This is a subject that's been covered a zillion times.

$$LESH

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Rep: 164
« Reply #152 on: September 25, 2022, 12:57:41 PM »
i don’t think jalen noel even made it past shop flow before bouncing to corporate but would have been tight if polar gave him some shine

usehername720

• Rep: 6
« Reply #153 on: September 25, 2022, 02:23:03 PM »
Ibu Sanyang should get on

SHARPSHOOTER

• Rep: -277
  • Bret Hart
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #154 on: September 25, 2022, 05:38:01 PM »
Are they just supposed to add a token black guy. Makes no sense.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #155 on: September 25, 2022, 07:48:41 PM »
According to every demography study I can find Sweden keeps no statistics on race, but they do keep statistics on immigrant minorities and are pushing diversity that way. I'm not aware of any Iraqi or Somalian pros and those are their two largest ethnic groups, but considering that Polar has pros from Japan, Australia, the U.S., Sweden, Denmark, France, and the U.K. The majority of their riders are not from the brand's country of origin, which actually fits in with the national narrative around diversity.

There are probably larger differences in culture between those various countries than most parts of the United States and thus most brands.

So Polar is doing just fine and your hot take is really out of context.

Tabletop

« Reply #156 on: September 26, 2022, 12:14:25 AM »

Why would having someone of colour be token?

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #157 on: September 26, 2022, 07:46:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #158 on: September 26, 2022, 08:09:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Oi his name is Tolkien you jerk

The real veganshawn

• Rep: 98
  • What the fuck was that
« Reply #159 on: September 26, 2022, 04:12:56 PM »
Any release date yet??
Cocteau Twins

Tuna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #160 on: September 27, 2022, 10:23:46 AM »
Any release date yet??

Shop premieres Saturday, and I believe YouTube Sunday.

Tabletop

« Reply #161 on: September 27, 2022, 10:38:25 AM »
According to every demography study I can find Sweden keeps no statistics on race, but they do keep statistics on immigrant minorities and are pushing diversity that way. I'm not aware of any Iraqi or Somalian pros and those are their two largest ethnic groups, but considering that Polar has pros from Japan, Australia, the U.S., Sweden, Denmark, France, and the U.K. The majority of their riders are not from the brand's country of origin, which actually fits in with the national narrative around diversity.

There are probably larger differences in culture between those various countries than most parts of the United States and thus most brands.

On pro is asian, all the rest are white guys.
How is that diverse?

I_Respect_Wood

• Rep: 10
    • HH avatar image
« Reply #162 on: September 27, 2022, 10:57:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

In @gsosa defense, in the latin american spanish version his name is ¨TOKEN¨I got the joke.
If I wasnt me, I never hang out with me...

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/qaL3qBBUWZRPXT5R7T" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/new-york-supreme-ben-kadow-qaL3qBBUWZRPXT5R7T">via GIPHY</a></p>

fried

• Rep: 52
« Reply #163 on: September 27, 2022, 11:06:03 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

How is that diverse?

Polar has pros from Japan, Australia, the U.S., Sweden, Denmark, France, and the U.K. The majority of their riders are not from the brand's country of origin, which actually fits in with the national narrative around diversity.

Actually might be the most diverse board co.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #164 on: September 27, 2022, 12:21:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

How is that diverse?
[close]

Polar has pros from Japan, Australia, the U.S., Sweden, Denmark, France, and the U.K. The majority of their riders are not from the brand's country of origin, which actually fits in with the national narrative around diversity.

Actually might be the most diverse board co.
Magenta has France, UK, Italy, Sweden, Aus, USA, Japan, nz
Primative: USA, Canada, UK, Aus, Brazil, France, czech

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1223
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #165 on: September 27, 2022, 12:24:47 PM »
polar is racist and non inclusive and everyone on slap hates them for it

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #166 on: September 27, 2022, 12:28:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

In @gsosa defense, in the latin american spanish version his name is ¨TOKEN¨I got the joke.
Oh shit for real??? Its been years since Ive watched South Park and the last time I watched it that he appeared it was in spanish lol. Thanks for enlightening me!

Roger Mexico

• Rep: 22
« Reply #167 on: September 27, 2022, 12:40:38 PM »
Ibu Sanyang should get on

Would be sick addition to the team. Ibu's gnarly

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #168 on: September 27, 2022, 12:52:14 PM »
I think the token/tolkien thing is a late-season joke where Randy asks To(l)k(i)en's dad why he named his son "Token" and you find out everyone in South Park just assumed that was his name
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #169 on: September 27, 2022, 01:38:40 PM »
I think the token/tolkien thing is a late-season joke where Randy asks To(l)k(i)en's dad why he named his son "Token" and you find out everyone in South Park just assumed that was his name
My memory was everyone knew it was Tolkien the whole time so the joke is the audience is racist for thinking it was token. Anyway it's what I was referring to but I guess no one really watches south park anymore

I_Respect_Wood

• HH avatar image
« Reply #170 on: September 27, 2022, 01:47:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
My memory was everyone knew it was Tolkien the whole time so the joke is the audience is racist for thinking it was token. Anyway it's what I was referring to but I guess no one really watches south park anymore

For my rudimentary Internet research you´re both right, as you said it happened in a late season that I never saw it. I thought it was translation/dubbing change or something. Gotta see that episode. Also as english is not my first language I didn´t know the meaning of the expresion ¨token black¨

Anyway, for whatever reason Ibu will be a good addition, also he have a daugther so I think a Polar check won´t hurt.
If I wasnt me, I never hang out with me...

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/qaL3qBBUWZRPXT5R7T" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/new-york-supreme-ben-kadow-qaL3qBBUWZRPXT5R7T">via GIPHY</a></p>

SHARPSHOOTER

• Rep: -277
  • Bret Hart
« Reply #171 on: September 28, 2022, 09:09:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It’s not but people saying THEY NEED TO HAVE A BLACK GUY, is tokenism. Maybe they just don’t have a black guy in the immediate crew. Forcing diversity is reverse racism and oddly enough is usually some white person pushing it.

pbj

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 24
« Reply #172 on: September 28, 2022, 01:48:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Any release date yet??
[close]

came here to say this.
still no word on an LA premiere? i've kept my eyes peeled but still haven't seen anything
seems like odd shade towards your stockists.

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #173 on: September 28, 2022, 05:15:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Any release date yet??
[close]

[close]

came here to say this.
still no word on an LA premiere? i've kept my eyes peeled but still haven't seen anything

Seems like you're taking it personally you didn't get invited to the premiere KEEN had in Los Angeles.

Most shops are having a premiere this Saturday in Los Angeles, either just DM them to confirm or wait until they post a flyer on their Instagram page. This imaginary shade is all in your head

Also absolutely love how Polar have rolled out this video. Touring the video, meeting fans, doing demos, etc. The effort is seen. I can't remember which shop it was, maybe somewhere on the east coast, a few years ago they made a Instagram post how much they appreciated a team coming through and showing their video, and having all the guys meet the kids, and  what that resulted in (their shop selling out of that companies product) and the importance of it and how it shouldn't be lost.

pbj

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #174 on: September 29, 2022, 12:31:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Any release date yet??
[close]

[close]

came here to say this.
[close]

Seems like you're taking it personally you didn't get invited to the premiere KEEN had in Los Angeles.

Most shops are having a premiere this Saturday in Los Angeles, either just DM them to confirm or wait until they post a flyer on their Instagram page. This imaginary shade is all in your head

LOL if you go to the Polar Instagram there is no mention of an LA screening, while advertising almost every other major market.

sorry for asking dude

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -761
« Reply #175 on: September 29, 2022, 12:44:56 AM »
Is there gonna be a Barcelona premiere does anyone know ?
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #176 on: September 29, 2022, 12:59:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Any release date yet??
[close]

[close]

came here to say this.
[close]

[close]

LOL if you go to the Polar Instagram there is no mention of an LA screening, while advertising almost every other major market.

sorry for asking dude

How hard is it contact your local shop? It’s not on Polar to promote every single shop prem and its
not shade at their stockists if they don’t either. Took me two clicks to find a shop in Los Angeles County that is having a screening.

pbj

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #177 on: September 29, 2022, 10:52:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Any release date yet??
[close]

[close]

came here to say this.
[close]

[close]

sorry for asking dude
[close]

How hard is it contact your local shop? It’s not on Polar to promote every single shop prem and its
not shade at their stockists if they don’t either. Took me two clicks to find a shop in Los Angeles County that is having a screening.

ok well I just checked the 4 shops I frequent most here and still don't see any indication of one.
closest I saw was Pawn in West Covina.

I asked about an LA premiere so if you found one, why not share the details?
you sure come off as a condescending prick

White Owl

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #178 on: September 29, 2022, 11:47:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Any release date yet??
[close]

[close]

came here to say this.
[close]

[close]

sorry for asking dude
[close]

[close]

ok well I just checked the 4 shops I frequent most here and still don't see any indication of one.
closest I saw was Pawn in West Covina.

I asked about an LA premiere so if you found one, why not share the details?
you sure come off as a condescending prick

Only one I saw posted was for rapid skate shop in Santa Clarita? Not really “LA”

usehername720

• Rep: 6
« Reply #179 on: September 29, 2022, 12:15:38 PM »
SF/Bay Area premier by chance?