Author Topic: Easiest late flip trick?  (Read 1738 times)

vinithebr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -20
Easiest late flip trick?
« on: August 17, 2022, 04:25:07 PM »
I'd just like to hear some opinions on this.

imo it's late shuv but it doesn't even flip so I wanna keep that one out.
I've heard bs late flip (bs flip but with your backfoot flipping it if it wasn't clear) but I had no luck with those, maybe cause I suck at most reg bs tricks.

I've landed a couple late heels and late varial heels, the varial was easier since I didn't have to bone the ollie before the flip but both were still pretty hard.

ilegal tricks ik, I swear I'm not an instagram goblin, I'm just bored and flatground is low impact/safe to try new stuff.

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 173
  • GTU/FWD
Re: Easiest late flip trick?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2022, 06:21:34 PM »

I've heard bs late flip (bs flip but with your backfoot flipping it if it wasn't clear) but I had no luck with those, maybe cause I suck at most reg bs tricks.

I've landed a couple late heels and late varial heels, the varial was easier since I didn't have to bone the ollie before the flip but both were still pretty hard.

ilegal tricks ik, I swear I'm not an instagram goblin, I'm just bored and flatground is low impact/safe to try new stuff.
Toeflips-shuv late under flip

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2022, 06:41:27 PM »
casper flip.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Baby on Board

• Rep: 34
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2022, 06:46:16 PM »
For me fs shove late kickflip (with the front foot) and fs big spin late kickflip, also.
Bs flip late flip’s used to be easy but never came as natural as fs shove late flip did

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2022, 07:31:04 PM »
I landed a few pop shove late flips (not fs) around the same time I learned kickflips so I’d say that. I learned varial flips and 360 flips after and then couldn’t get the timing down anymore and stopped trying them.

Hairy Ballsagna

• Rep: 32
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2022, 08:07:25 PM »
Jeez, late heel flip sounds fucked up.

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2022, 08:11:47 PM »
Late front shuv

Resident Jeff

• Rep: 20
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2022, 11:16:29 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Toeflips-shuv late under flip

Is that the weird one Mike Mo used to do a bunch? If so, that’s the correct answer.
Reschs Refreshes

mclovin1336

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2022, 11:32:09 PM »
I would say nollie late flip or switch ollie late fakie flip, you'd see em a lot in skateparks for a while

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 319
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2022, 11:35:13 PM »
Pop shuv late flip with the front foot.
Casper flip #2

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2022, 12:47:20 AM »
Hospital flips IMO... for me at least.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1573
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2022, 12:52:29 AM »
Frontside pop shove-it late flip is a valid reply, it's essentially a delayed varial heelflip using the toes; while not that much harder (personally I learned it first), backside I'd say takes slightly more precision in the timing and technique. Late (back foot) heelflip also is really easy, you start a kickflip but then instantly kick out with your back leg to counter it. Kickflip counterpart is more subtle having to use the toes all the while keeping the board under you whereas anything late heelflip you can sort of kick and hope away. Late varial flip may be easier than straight late flip too because you barely need an actual ollie for those, you can just pop the tail then instantly kind of sweep the concave around the bolts.

Easiest I'd say is half impossible (or half pressure flip) late half flip (using the front foot), very 1992 trick but it just works, basically a pop shove-it late flip where the board gets inverted and taking half the effort. You basically pop then catch the graphic side with your front foot and pull it back towards you, board just wants to flip over then.

Late varial underflips are also easy - pop a normal ollie but reach down with the back foot toes and pull up somewhere around the heel-side back wheel to send the board around like a varial heelflip, it's basically a modified late shove. Only hurts your toes if you hit it wrong. Fakie bigspin underflips I also remember finding easier than pop shove-it underflips for a bit as a kid.

'True' casper flips using both feet à la Templeton are a whole different ball game than the front foot only version.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 883
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2022, 01:30:17 AM »
Pop shove late flip: As silhouette just said with varial heels I did the exact same thing trying to figure out inward heels. You can even just do a 90 degree shove it barely taking your front foot off then just flip straight down with your toes.

Don't know what it's called: set your feet up like the worst little kid 3 flip. back foot completely square and basically half your foot hanging off the toe side of the tail. Front foot just barely on in kickflip position. Pop an Ollie (your front foot being so far to the side will make the board start going a little Primo) and then pull your back foot back like a late pop shove. Hopefully your foot grabs the edge of the board and makes it flip as it shoves. Sort of like a 180 version of the Gabriel Rodriguez 3 flip.

warmonke

• Rep: 43
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2022, 02:21:21 AM »
are late shuvs late flip tricks?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2022, 05:26:24 AM »
does half a heelflip and then half a lateflip count? cancel heel? that one is even easier than bs late flip.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2022, 05:33:14 AM »
does half a heelflip and then half a lateflip count? cancel heel? that one is even easier than bs late flip.

Actually I always found that one harder than the opposite version (half kickflip then late heelflip) but also a bit more interesting visually, half kickflips kind of suck. Chris Fissel had that one backside nollie heelflip one I think in Da Deal or maybe it was 1281. I used to be able to do the normal stance ones all the time but only if I added a backside body varial to them for some reason (somehow would secure not missing the board on the late flip), which looked absolutely putrid but felt comical to do.

vinithebr

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2022, 06:45:07 AM »
Ben K does cancel kickflips from time to time, pretty low to the ground too which makes it seem easy even though it doesn't look good imo.

Long ago I landed an underflip but starting with like a quarter heelflip rotation to help putting my back foot under the board, and then just pulling up, but it just looked like a normal heelflip if you don't watch it carefully.
And since then I forgot about the whole underflip shit, time to rewatch some mike mo batbs.

I remember landing caspers/hospitals back when I was learning kickflips so they are definitely easy. And for whatever reason I never saw them as late flips, they do happen pretty late but by that logic my regular kickflips are late flips too.

About shuv late flips I can see both ways working well, fs meets your foot but bs with a straight/vertical pop could probably do the same, I'll be trying them for sure

« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 06:58:02 AM by vinithebr »

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2022, 07:01:56 AM »
Shove late flip. Also probably the ugliest.

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2022, 08:00:40 AM »
In 23 years of skating Ive only done late shoves, both ways, and they always looked awful

Never been able to really spin correctly a late flip, so my answer its none its easy according to my experience

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2022, 08:42:42 AM »

Backside I think can look cool when really broken down into two separate tricks and not a weird inward heelflip looking thing (Daewon's inward heelflips actually look like they rely on the 'botched' shove-it late flip technique a lot, kicking down instead of out).

Casper flips feel a lot more like late flips when you actually catch a mid-air casper then do them using the back foot. In comparison the front foot only version feels more like a fucked up pop shove.

Ben Kadow's trick is called a kickback (or ollie kickback when he ollies into it) - old freestyle trick, I actually do it a lot and enjoy teaching it to kids as a quick fun move (the non-ollie version is really easy to pick up). A variation I also like is the casper disaster which is another old freestyle trick and essentially the same thing but halfcab and standing primo while pivoting.

Most variation on kickflip or heelflip late shove-it I tend to find hard as fuck. I remember doing some heelflip late backside shove-its as a kid thinking backside heelflip and then turn your body back as soon as you catch it shifty, but that was really awkward to even try. The few kickflip late backside shoves I've done I was basically thinking the same thing except kickflip. Heelflip late front shove might be the easiest of them all because it's very similar to a delayed varial heelflip that you can just punt around with the back foot, but the timing is really weird. I've never done a kickflip late frontside shove and have seen so many different techniques randoms everywhere have come up with and developed on their own to be able to technically claim that trick (including one dude who was doing them like a casper flip with a full kickflip and then flat shove, kicking the rail).

ThisFuckingDude

• Rep: -16
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2022, 08:44:40 AM »
Who cares

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2022, 09:27:30 AM »
The easiest one is the one that you don’t do.

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1561
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2022, 09:28:34 AM »
The easiest one is the one that you don’t do.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 996
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2022, 09:33:57 AM »
i don’t relate to this thread at all
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

BevinKradley

• Rep: -8
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2022, 09:54:41 AM »

Stop

vinithebr

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2022, 12:36:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Backside I think can look cool when really broken down into two separate tricks and not a weird inward heelflip looking thing (Daewon's inward heelflips actually look like they rely on the 'botched' shove-it late flip technique a lot, kicking down instead of out).

Casper flips feel a lot more like late flips when you actually catch a mid-air casper then do them using the back foot. In comparison the front foot only version feels more like a fucked up pop shove.

Ben Kadow's trick is called a kickback (or ollie kickback when he ollies into it) - old freestyle trick, I actually do it a lot and enjoy teaching it to kids as a quick fun move (the non-ollie version is really easy to pick up). A variation I also like is the casper disaster which is another old freestyle trick and essentially the same thing but halfcab and standing primo while pivoting.

Oh, right my bad, cancel flips let it flip halfway first

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 473
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2022, 01:17:26 PM »
Re-learning or just learning how to kickflip late in life is the easiest late flip trick

Doosh215

• Rep: 61
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2022, 01:26:43 PM »
Late backsideflip is surprisingly really easy. You just do a back 180 and give it a little toe tap. Here's a clip of one from a while ago at 0:39. Don't hate on me I was young and dumb with bad taste. And this was pretty much just screwing around at love. I have grown up and don't do them anymore lol.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2022, 06:31:46 PM »
'True' casper flips using both feet à la Templeton are a whole different ball game than the front foot only version.

What is a good example of this? I feel I should know what you are referencing, but I can't think of it.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

vinithebr

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2022, 07:16:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What is a good example of this? I feel I should know what you are referencing, but I can't think of it.

My guess is that it's just the hospital vs casper stuff, the first only uses the front foot while the latter uses both, but people frequently use casper to describe the two tricks. Hospital is a dumb name and they're a bit obscure so it makes sense.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 09:11:08 PM by vinithebr »