Author Topic: Sovereign Sect distribution - Habitat/Alien/Metal  (Read 1885 times)

SpuytenDuvyilEphemera

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -173
Sovereign Sect distribution - Habitat/Alien/Metal
« on: August 18, 2022, 03:22:00 AM »
Appreciation thread for the sovereign sect.  I see a lot of haters on here and on the internet in general, in particular on the "new alien workshop".  Strange, as in real life I see Alien, Habitat boards alot (haven't seen any Metal boards in the wild) and they have a solid team.  Are folks just mad Alien isn't the exact same as it was in the 90s and still printing the same graphics?  If you look at the Sovereign Sect distribution in the aggregate, dont they have a pretty stacked team?  I wasn't following skating as closely in the Rob Dyrdek MTV years or the years where Alien/Habitat weren't together.  But overall, which legacy brand is more legit?  They aren't trying to live off of hype from riders in the 90s, giving pro boards to 90s riders, running podcasts.  Again, talking about the current state.  Always good BBS wood, Suciu just won SOTY, pros and ams still skating street.  I just dont get it- seems pretty relevant.  Maybe a geographic thing or the fact that they dont seem to force riders to wear the same outfits and hang out together/pretend to be menacing tough guys?  Or is it that they just aren't as edgy as in the 90s and there are other new things?  Or that the wheels still flat spot pretty quickly like board wheels from the 90s (your problem for buying wheels from a board co IMO).  Anyway, this thread is an appreciation thread for the sovereign sect new and old.

twic3

• Rep: 14
Re: Sovereign Sect distribution - Habitat/Alien/Metal
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2022, 09:36:55 AM »
Idk about you guys but the local shops by me rarely get AWS/Habitat boards in and when they do every 4-5 months its only like 6-8 boards max. Even when I look online, Tactics and Skatewarehouse rarely restocks them.

I love the sect but they need to get their distribution better.

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 300
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2022, 09:41:25 AM »
I think I prefer watching the skaters on the Habitat team. Joey O'Brien is really the only skater I care to watch that's on Alien. I think the Alien graphics still remain to be really good though. I don't know much about Metal, but I'm stoked for Ben Raybourn and Fred Gall. That Brian Anderson guest graphic sick as fuck too

SpuytenDuvyilEphemera

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2022, 06:53:38 AM »
Idk about you guys but the local shops by me rarely get AWS/Habitat boards in and when they do every 4-5 months its only like 6-8 boards max. Even when I look online, Tactics and Skatewarehouse rarely restocks them.

I love the sect but they need to get their distribution better.

I see them around in NYC area, but not sure how people are getting them.  I agree when I go into shops not like they are carrying the full line like FA, Quasi, Krooked/Anti (those 3 are very big on East coast in terms of what I see in hopes and in real life, especially among the younger folks), but would often see some selection, especially for smaller boards etc.  I.e., so there may be an Alien Spectrum and Believe or a Habitat pro model at a smaller size, but I hear you the 8.75 Aliens aren't in the stores.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2022, 07:32:33 AM »
I like yaje

the fact that they dont seem to force riders to wear the same outfits and hang out together/pretend to be menacing tough guys?
Admit you;re afraid of aidan mackey
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

SpuytenDuvyilEphemera

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2022, 09:48:34 AM »

Expand Quote
the fact that they dont seem to force riders to wear the same outfits and hang out together/pretend to be menacing tough guys?
[close]
Admit you;re afraid of aidan mackey

Ha - I wasn't thinking of him. Honestly wasn't a dig at any specific brand or rider and more seems to be the general vibe in the industry in terms of the brands that are really big with the kids right now/in the past few years.  That said, Yaje who you mentioned is a great example of the opposite- his parts are sick and seem to reflect to me a real vibe street vibe as opposed to something put on.  Since he's not wearing black on black, it seems like less hype.  For example Poets video he put out. 

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2022, 11:14:42 AM »
I thought everyone hated "new" alien because it wasn't the Gilbert, Jake Johnson, Dylan, Omar etc team not so much because it wasn't the 90s team. Funny i think at this point the new teams been on alien longer than most of that group was.
I think I'll always love alien, equal best name in skateboarding with toy machine. When I first started learning about skateboarding it was so weird like alien workshop what the fuck even is that it doesn't make sense.
Maybe I'm too checked out now but I don't think primative or whatever the Pinacle brand today is could ever be more elite than alien/habitat, girl/choc was from 99-2014

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2022, 07:04:17 AM »
Workshop is basically the band in name only, with all new members. Imagine listening to your favourite band with all new band members. It's not gonna hit right, is it?

Haven't seen an Alien board at our local, in gods knows how long outside of the completes. The shop still gets Habitat boards in, but they don't really sell unless someone wants a cheap board on sale.

I was off Habitat around the same time everyone was quitting Workshop, and they ended up at Tum Yeto. I think that just really soured it for me, and for a lot of people and just stopped paying attention. This was around the same time a lot of those smaller companies were really starting to come into light. I also think for all the amazing work he did in the early 2000's, with the advancement of technology Joe's work has gotten a little to coffee shop vibes for me. At least there's still a link in their heritage with guys like Joe & Stefan still there, and they all seem to get in the van and go on trips.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1536
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2022, 09:45:04 PM »
I bet Hill and Carter have the illest survival bunkers.

Always had love for workshop and habitat.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2022, 10:17:09 PM »
I bet Hill and Carter have the illest survival bunkers.

Can't remember what interview it's from now but apparently they have heaps of gold and stuff for when all the systems die. I never really understood this tho i feel like if society collapses chunks of shiny metal won't be that desirable. Looks like alien workshop itself is in a sick bunker (unless it's just kayfabe) https://youtu.be/JiVrxkMHzeQ

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2022, 10:50:07 PM »
Idk what the fuck Castrucci is doing but it’s clearly not working on his board company in the slightest. Hate saying it but habitat has been stale as fuck for ~10 years. All it would take to turn the ship around is him making some shit by hand instead of licensing more Charley Harper or making some bullshit watered down sanitized version of a graphic you wanted when you were 10. Or a POV of sitting at a table.

Cmon Joe. Give a fuck. You have a great team but you’re making some bullshit “global bummer” board
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Wu-Welsh

• Rep: 7
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2022, 07:12:16 AM »
CBI: Did you guys really believe in all these conspiracies? I always heard stories about how Alien was stockpiling and burying gold…?

Carter: We believed it. Mike definitely did, for sure, and converted me into being a believer.   It was so clear to us how many untruths we were being told. At our age, we were supposed to believe what was being taught, despite being able to see all the inconsistencies and the corruption. The greed.

The company wouldn’t have worked if we didn’t truly believe. You couldn’t fake it or it would’ve looked like some shitty t-shirt brand.

We did prepare. We did buy gold but we never buried it. We bought farmland and generators. We bought guns and ammo.  We made sure that we had our own water wells that couldn’t be tainted. We tried to set ourselves up to be self-sustaining the best we could. We figured better to be safe than sorry. We talked about it often and felt like something could and would happen inevitably.  Here we are now, all these years later, and there are tv shows about this very same thing, “prepping.” Who would’ve thought?

SpuytenDuvyilEphemera

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2022, 08:07:21 AM »
CBI: Did you guys really believe in all these conspiracies? I always heard stories about how Alien was stockpiling and burying gold…?

Carter: We believed it. Mike definitely did, for sure, and converted me into being a believer.   It was so clear to us how many untruths we were being told. At our age, we were supposed to believe what was being taught, despite being able to see all the inconsistencies and the corruption. The greed.

The company wouldn’t have worked if we didn’t truly believe. You couldn’t fake it or it would’ve looked like some shitty t-shirt brand.

We did prepare. We did buy gold but we never buried it. We bought farmland and generators. We bought guns and ammo.  We made sure that we had our own water wells that couldn’t be tainted. We tried to set ourselves up to be self-sustaining the best we could. We figured better to be safe than sorry. We talked about it often and felt like something could and would happen inevitably.  Here we are now, all these years later, and there are tv shows about this very same thing, “prepping.” Who would’ve thought?

This is wild-- I had heard rumors but never read this quote.  For what its worth I've gotten some great sales decks recently in 40 to 50 range on alien and habitat websites.   Good stuff!  Shipped straight from the prepper zone ha.

Rocko

• Rep: 38
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2022, 08:25:10 AM »

New workshop obviously is a shadow but I’m still down with it.

https://instagram.com/thesovereignsect?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Here’s a good account to follow for some archives/nostalgia. Wish they updated it more

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 100
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2022, 09:34:16 AM »
I will forever have a soft spot for AWS/Habitat. Probably had more boards from them growing up in the early 2000s than I can count. But as already said Habitat graphics have been pretty bad the last few years and their series used to have some of my favorites.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2022, 10:33:56 AM »
Idk what the fuck Castrucci is doing but it’s clearly not working on his board company in the slightest. Hate saying it but habitat has been stale as fuck for ~10 years. All it would take to turn the ship around is him making some shit by hand instead of licensing more Charley Harper or making some bullshit watered down sanitized version of a graphic you wanted when you were 10. Or a POV of sitting at a table.

Cmon Joe. Give a fuck. You have a great team but you’re making some bullshit “global bummer” board
They have such a good team and all the graphics look like a fake Skater XL brand
This was a nice graphic though. They're few and far between
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

SpuytenDuvyilEphemera

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2022, 07:40:26 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
They have such a good team and all the graphics look like a fake Skater XL brand
This was a nice graphic though. They're few and far between

I hear that-- I like the basic graphics and have never gotten any of the mash up/pop culture stuff but just sort of ignore-- assume they need that as a revenue driver.  I did think the latest few of the Habitat pro series were good (and ultimately can't argue with a pro BBS board for 40 bucks-- for example the race car serious I didn't think was bad). That said, definitely agree its not cutting edge stuff graphically at this point, so fair point.

GregHunts16mm

• Rep: 6
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2022, 03:45:52 PM »
Joey Guevara is slept on

SpuytenDuvyilEphemera

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2022, 02:34:26 PM »
Anyone skating the metal egg? 

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2022, 02:45:34 PM »
FRED GALL

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2022, 05:23:30 PM »
aws/habitat will always have a spot.

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2022, 06:51:16 PM »
aws/habitat will always have a spot.

this is my view basically. i don't think legacy brands should just "go away" as many posters on here are basically suggesting. And especially not Alien and Habitat which have had a gigantic impact. Skating would suck if it was just trendy brands that were less than 5 years old.

Carter and Castrucci have a platform and the knowledge to support a new group of dudes and they are doing that. I don't see anything wrong with it. Everyone on the "old alien" has moved on to better things so what is there to be bitter about?

I feel like I've said this a million times on here but the old alien around 2010 just could not have continued. Far too many people on the team and way too many huge personalities. The Kalis/Dill beef and shit like that was evidence that the cracks were forming and proof that things just can't last forever. I can't imagine the payroll and how much money they were paying out to that giant squad either. I think it's sick that both companies completely reset and started from scratch basically and at a much smaller scale.

One thing I do notice about the modern sect is it seems like there is no focus on the teams taking trips together, tour vids, or appearing like a unified squad at all. More like the dudes all make their own part with their own filmer every one or two years and that's basically it. While that's a very futuristic web2.0 decentralized non-fungible approach it is quite boring to watch. The new Enjoi tour video was proof to me that the kind of "get in a van and film it" still is absolute peak of skate content and I think if the sect wants to be relatable they gotta start getting the team together in a conspicuous way.

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2022, 07:45:55 PM »
I think sitting at the shop watching old videos has really rekindled my love of AWS/Habitat. Timecode is one of my favorite videos of all time and the Habitat section of photo probably had the biggest influence on me out of everything. Not to mention Pops in Mosaic.
I probably skated more sect boards than any other brand when I was preteen.
I Would basically pretend I was Pops when I would 5-0 the hubba any our park also had a huge Wenning wannabe phase.
I distinctly remember learning tre flips on an 8 inch Dill Animobile board… which seemed like a big board at the time.
I still wear my 21 year old Habitat hoodie daily! Much love for the Sovereign Sect!

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2022, 09:55:13 PM »
 I just wanna state my harsh words earlier in the thread were coming from a place of love, not hate. I want Habitat to be as good as it can be.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

assvogel

• Rep: 194
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2022, 07:13:15 AM »
One of my favorite videos on the old interweb is Grosso's Ink Blot. His explanation for his Alien Workshop tattoo is hilarious. 2:17

"So I thought up if I get the aliens tattooed on me, I should get some rest"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlXbpb2LCO0

SpuytenDuvyilEphemera

« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2022, 02:22:30 PM »
A lot of nice new graphics on the website recently. Believe egg looks pretty sick.