Author Topic: 50-50 on a ledge  (Read 876 times)

dmtr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 20
50-50 on a ledge
« on: August 23, 2022, 01:36:45 PM »
I’ve been struggling for weeks to lock into ledges for 5050 grinds.
I can ollie on top of the ledge with no problem, and thats what always happens. I just ollie on top of it and roll away. And like perfectly parallel. Its this or I end up with my front truck overshooting.

Watched every YT and instagram tutorial I could find, but nothing seems to fix my problem.

Usually I don’t care and have fun doing other stuff, but after weeks doing sideways ollies on top of ledges instead of grinding them, tonight was the first night I almost went bezerk on my board. Called it quits and went home.

What do I do?! It seems so easy, and I wish I would have more trouble getting onto the ledge, at least that would be a goal on its own.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 603
    • a short part avatar image
Re: 50-50 on a ledge
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2022, 11:21:12 AM »
I had that problem too when I rode a smaller setup. What really helped me, were two things. Shoulders almost parallel to the ledge and look a bit in front of your board, to that part of the ledge where you want to land on.

For some ledges it easier if the front trucks locks in first (if it's a higher ledge). Sometimes it is easier to lock the back truck in first.

Maybe try some 5-0s and see how that goes?
IG: @flowterspace

skatebruh

• Rep: 30
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2022, 04:28:22 PM »
Start with a curb or a low ledge. Go at an almost 90 degree angle and do 5050 stalls. Use just enough speed to get on top of the ledge and lock into the stall. Ollie, turn 90 in the air, and land in a 5050 stall.

After you learn that, go a little faster and with a little less angle until you start grinding them.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2022, 04:55:02 PM »
Can you get into it completely stationary like a stall? Start from there.

dmtr

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2022, 09:56:25 PM »
Thanks for the replies!
Yeah, getting into the ledge stationary is no problem at all. Been trying to approach different angles also, the result stays the same though…

skatebruh

• Rep: 30
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2022, 07:03:29 AM »
If you have a low ledge with angle iron, you can wax it and you should be able to start grinding them if you have the stall down.

5050s are much easier on the right ledge. If you're stuck with a super chunky concrete ledge, it's going to be harder.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2022, 07:06:45 AM »
lean back

dmtr

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2022, 08:35:26 AM »
When do you lean back?
I first hoover forward/ lean over board and or lesge to make it ontop of it.
Do you lean back when in the air, when you lock, or when you are setting up?

dmtr

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2022, 10:30:04 PM »
Update ( maybe somebody else can benefit from this)

I landed a couple in a row, and figured out what the problem was.

The ledge is fairly low, so I keep my front foot on the bolts while jumping. This makes me doing an ollie without actually sliding the front foot, which gives me time to focus locking the front truck onto the ledge. I was putting way too much effort into it. Took it to a higher ledge that asked for a decent/high ollie, and managed to lock in too.

So its actually easier on a higher ledge, and you have to ollie a bit lazy for lower ledges.

Don’t know if it makes sense, but it helped me understand that not everything needs a lot of effort.

Whodogg

• Rep: 0
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2022, 09:11:28 AM »
Update ( maybe somebody else can benefit from this)

...you have to ollie a bit lazy for lower ledges.

Don’t know if it makes sense, but it helped me understand that not everything needs a lot of effort.

You got it.  You actually want to try not to ollie too high and don't slam down too hard.  Try to ollie just high enough and "float" down to the ledge, that way you maintain your forward momentum and have an easier time locking in.  If you land too hard you will slip out more often.