Author Topic: Bad Habits  (Read 1202 times)

Lessfillingtastegreat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 16
Re: Bad Habits
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2022, 07:15:25 PM »
Switch mongo is only a bad habit if you cannot push switch normally

I can switch push but lately when trying tricks switch I find myself going faster / bumps / bump to ledge etc.  for this I push switch mongo with the Little hop bounce set up then pop.  My trucks are ultra loose too so the occasion switch push just looks sketchy on its own. 

If Iím skating slower, ledges etc Iíll do the switch push or alternate between the two.

A new one Iíve been noticing. Is this thing where I can feel my should tense up.  Donít know what the fuck it is but I donít like it. Like they are in full lactic acidosis burn the entire session.   
8.25 - ventures 5.6 super loose, 54mm SFF4 LL, Jessup Ultra.  Switch Mongo 4 Lyfe.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1373
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2022, 09:33:20 PM »
A new one Iíve been noticing. Is this thing where I can feel my should tense up.  Donít know what the fuck it is but I donít like it. Like they are in full lactic acidosis burn the entire session.

Do you skate wearing some kind of hat, hood or heavy clothes (i.e.. vests) a lot, because I've had something like that before and had to start avoiding wearing any accessory weight from the shoulders up (in general but mostly while skating) partly due to it. Sounds silly I know but the extra tension on my shoulders and neck regardless of how subtle (it also was constant) suddenly didn't mix well with the way I was moving anymore, combine that with work hours spent sitting on a chair (although always watching posture) and getting older in general, I was starting to develop something similar to what you're describing; I'd also regularly end up with a stiff neck, sometimes for days after particularly hardcore sessions wearing hoods and/or vests, feeling as though those had been messing with my alignment. Noticed the pattern, started watching that and never ran into the problem again. May not be your situation, but just in case. Also always try and drink more water.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 360
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2022, 10:13:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Switch mongo is only a bad habit if you cannot push switch normally
[close]

I can switch push but lately when trying tricks switch I find myself going faster / bumps / bump to ledge etc.  for this I push switch mongo with the Little hop bounce set up then pop.  My trucks are ultra loose too so the occasion switch push just looks sketchy on its own. 

If Iím skating slower, ledges etc Iíll do the switch push or alternate between the two.

Yeah I feel that. I switch push to get around a lot and sometimes during a sesh. But I feel that I set up most of my sw/fakie ledge tricks, with a few exceptions, slightly better if I swongo. Maybe its years of habit, but I also feel like it helps me square off my shoulders a bit better

Skatebeard

• Rep: 95
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2022, 02:22:57 AM »
i kickflip with super open shoulders, tried to correct it but they still work so have kinda just run with it now.

wrinkletusk

• Rep: 22
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2022, 05:00:24 AM »
Expand Quote
I would say not working every session on keeping tricks. I went about two months without flipping my board and now I am relearning shit. I need to go through my whole bag each session to stay current on shit.

I also need to stop telling myself itís okay to not flip my board bc of my age. Apparently I still want to do it, so I need to make myself do it. One day I physically will not be able to any longer, and I will be pissed.
[close]

Just try a few every session, like 10. If it comes it comes, if not move on and don't kill your session. I'm over trying to hammer out a trick for 3 hours just to eek out a shit one. Plus it's fun to mix it up.

I've just started doing this 'cause i've been going to my local park long enough now that I'm being asked to join games of skate despite everyone being at least 20 years younger.  Surprising how long it takes to go through 10-20 attempts of all the basics regs and switch.  Was about 1.5hrs in before I even got to flipping!  Good practice though.

FUBAR

• Rep: 127
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2022, 03:27:11 AM »
Expand Quote
I would say not working every session on keeping tricks. I went about two months without flipping my board and now I am relearning shit. I need to go through my whole bag each session to stay current on shit.

I also need to stop telling myself itís okay to not flip my board bc of my age. Apparently I still want to do it, so I need to make myself do it. One day I physically will not be able to any longer, and I will be pissed.
[close]

Just try a few every session, like 10. If it comes it comes, if not move on and don't kill your session. I'm over trying to hammer out a trick for 3 hours just to eek out a shit one. Plus it's fun to mix it up.
Great advice, Rock. It does kind of kill my vibe when I struggle with them. 10 is a good number. Iím getting on them now and making a shitty one every session, but 10 full-effort tries is a good number. If it ainít happening after 10, time to move along.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2022, 04:19:49 AM »
Tensing the feet and pointing down on the catch/missed catch has been the reason for a few ankles for me

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 249
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2022, 04:34:51 AM »
Well, I pushed Mongo for the first 14 of my 37 years skateboarding.

Did the same thing. Learned to push correctly during a particularly cold winter in my 20s when there wasnít much else to do. I think mongo kind of screws up how you position your shoulders too.

Other bad habits:

Did not properly deck my 50-50s for at least 10 years

Didnít lift my truck on fakie or disaster for a long time because I learned on a ramp with noping.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 314
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2022, 06:56:19 PM »
Idk where I picked this up from but I have this habit of bending my right arm (I'm regs) all weird when I setup for a trick. Looking like a teapot short and stout. It's real bad.

yghartsyrt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 15
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2022, 05:28:52 AM »
IĎm also doing the hop the before tricks. Drives me crazy.
Plus I cannot go straight towards a Trick most of the time. I nearly always do a small mini curve as if Iím afraid that Iím too fast hitting an obstacle. Looks super stupid - like Iím sort of a squirrel

tonyhawksmanywives

• Rep: 7
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2022, 05:11:41 PM »
i rely too much on thinking i have muscle memory. for frontside ollies on transition that i need to pop for, i alway think im either just bonking my truck or i forget to pop

sacking rails

• Rep: 0
  • sacking rails
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2022, 06:41:44 PM »
blaming my failing marriage on my job

antagonizing people with weapons