Author Topic: Bad Habits  (Read 4141 times)

Sketch Hitchcock

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 158
Bad Habits
« on: August 25, 2022, 12:41:45 PM »
Someone pointed out to me my back foot was sorta in ollie position when I was carving and kickturning on a shaped board, didnt realize I was doing that.  Maybe a symptom of switching around with popsicle boards?  Once I made the correction it really helped, obviously

We’re all human, bad habits form.  What are little things you’ve caught yourself doing or had pointed out to you that saved you some headaches?

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
Re: Bad Habits
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2022, 12:53:45 PM »
I used to crow hop right before I popped any trick, kind of a bounce before the bounce, stopped doing it when I noticed it from filming

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2022, 12:57:06 PM »
I don't extend my flicking foot as far out as I probably should for nollie/sw flips

Am pretty lazy with popping or getting a lift out of grinds/slides, usually just fall off the end if I have that option. Makes skating a ledge with no end more difficult than it should be sometimes.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2022, 02:21:12 PM »
grinding my front foot into place wears down that shoe faster.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2022, 02:46:48 PM »
I used to crow hop right before I popped any trick, kind of a bounce before the bounce, stopped doing it when I noticed it from filming

I’m 30 years deep into doing this and don’t know how to stop :(
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2022, 03:02:23 PM »
I'm just a general commitaphobe. It takes me so long to full commit to something that isn't a go-to trick. It can be a foot tall ledge and I'll hyperfixate on the absolute worst case scenario.

Sifter

• Rep: 46
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2022, 04:03:29 PM »
Picturing the bail instead of the make

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2022, 05:29:21 PM »
I’m often too fucking lazy to actually crouch down and pop the board properly.

When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2022, 07:44:48 PM »
overthinking about my relationship with skateboarding.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2023, 12:50:40 AM by in love w/ fs shuvs »

Frank and Fred

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2022, 07:48:38 PM »
Well, I pushed Mongo for the first 14 of my 37 years skateboarding.

There I said it.

And I grabbed stinkbug on frontside airs.

Both were corrected when I loved to Portland from Wales.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2022, 08:12:41 PM »
As I get better at a trick I start doing it worse. Like I naturally figure out the minimal effort needed to land it and it ends up looking like dogshit.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2022, 03:42:41 AM »
I'm just a general commitaphobe. It takes me so long to full commit to something that isn't a go-to trick. It can be a foot tall ledge and I'll hyperfixate on the absolute worst case scenario.

me last session trying to commit on a fs tailslide on a rather small hubba  :'(

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2022, 03:59:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

me last session trying to commit on a fs tailslide on a rather small hubba  :'(
Usually would only get it on a street spot but call it the final destination visions. Let's check out this hubba...oh you'll definatly stick in that crack and fall face first into that curb on the other side ...

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -63
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2022, 06:11:45 AM »
I'm terrible at rolling out of wrecks, I just slam like a 170lb sack of shit every time. 

I also extend my legs and, like, reach for the ground with my feet on bails, which is why I've had 6 knee dislocations and like 30 ankle sprains. I don't want to do it, I try not to, it just fuckin happens.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2022, 06:28:26 AM »
i have to warm up with a slowass front 5-0 on a ledge because if I try to 5050 first I willy every time. I forget where my weight should go on it every single time and have to remind myself. I don't warm up with back 5050s because I forget to lead with my shoulder, land in feeble and die. I remember enough not to try the tricks first but not enough to just do them right the first time
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -63
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2022, 08:46:26 AM »
i have to warm up with a slowass front 5-0 on a ledge because if I try to 5050 first I willy every time. I forget where my weight should go on it every single time and have to remind myself. I don't warm up with back 5050s because I forget to lead with my shoulder, land in feeble and die. I remember enough not to try the tricks first but not enough to just do them right the first time

I have a pretty bad habit with 5-0s. It's hard to explain tho.
Instead of jumping up on top of the ledge, I'll ollie and just kinda push my legs out in front of me, so I'm hanging off the side of the ledge at an angle. It can look kinda cool when I land it, but sometimes I end up overshooting the ledge and slamming on my ass. Even bruised my tailbone pretty bad once.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2022, 10:12:40 AM »
As I get better at a trick I start doing it worse. Like I naturally figure out the minimal effort needed to land it and it ends up looking like dogshit.

Relatable. In high school I learned how to fs smith popping out in the middle then once I realized I could just fall off the end of the rail I never popped out again. When I learned noseblunts it was from the side, then once I realized I could go from straight on and booger it my form got a lot worse and lazier. Better now but still

Hubba Bo-Tep

• Rep: 43
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2022, 10:49:49 AM »
Holding my breath.  Sounds like I'm having an especially difficult time dropping the kids off at the pool.  i know I should exhale as I pop, but I dont.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • the moon rules
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2022, 12:48:21 PM »
And I grabbed stinkbug on frontside airs.

I still can’t do grabs behind my knee. It sort of hurts my knee to try and pose the real way

I have a hard time with full cabs because I’ve somehow unlearned how to turn my shoulders. It now feels unnatural to swing my lead shoulder almost as if my arm is getting in the way of my body. What was once a fairly easy consistent trick is now a Hail Mary trick for me
fuck you bama

Lessfillingtastegreat

• Rep: 54
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2022, 08:25:36 PM »
I still push switch mongo.  I dont care. 

Sometimes the holding my breath thing.

Warm up / stretching takes up 60% of the session.

I tend to pop tricks on flat pretty good. But on occasion I do this lazy pop where my legs don’t bend and I have no idea where the board is.  Super sketch.  And embarrassing. 

Awfulizing every trick attempt. 
8.1 Drift -  venture 5.6 , Jessup, SFF  54mm Swiss ceramics  -https://imgur.com/a/WlDgenx

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 456
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2022, 02:17:24 PM »
I still push switch mongo.  I dont care. 

Sometimes the holding my breath thing.

Warm up / stretching takes up 60% of the session.

I tend to pop tricks on flat pretty good. But on occasion I do this lazy pop where my legs don’t bend and I have no idea where the board is.  Super sketch.  And embarrassing. 

Awfulizing every trick attempt.

Lol I was trying to practice pushing switch at the skatepark alone the other evening and it was so embarrassing still. I'm old enough that it's fair to push fakie mongo I feel. I can hardly even switch ollie anyway. I've just never cared about learning switch for some reason. I will go to my grave never landing any nollie or switch flip tricks. At best switch 180s, shoves and horrible horrible switch ollies, looks like I'm trying to learn how to skateboard essentially.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2022, 07:15:55 PM »
Switch Mongo never die, I'm doing it for Stevie and Kalis
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

YBOS

• Rep: 14
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2022, 08:02:23 PM »
Not only do I do the holding my breath thing, sometimes Ill puff out my cheeks during the trick. No idea why, but Im working on it

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2022, 08:41:48 PM »
Holding my breath.  Sounds like I'm having an especially difficult time dropping the kids off at the pool.  i know I should exhale as I pop, but I dont.
God, I do this too especially if I’m trying to film a line, 3 tries in and I’m fucking exhausted…

mamba

• Rep: 134
  • Sucka free
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2022, 08:59:27 PM »

This is me  :-X on the makes too

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2022, 12:48:09 AM »
Switch mongo is only a bad habit if you cannot push switch normally

Hubba Bo-Tep

• Rep: 43
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2022, 02:44:20 AM »
So glad to hear that I'm not the only one that holds their breath haha.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2022, 03:04:05 AM »
You bozos are definatly gonna bring up a new type of madness for me. I know I don't breath enough during a mini ramp run but never really think about it any other time. Do I breath during a manual or ledge trick? No idea. Used to do distance running and it definatly ruined everything when you suddenly start paying attention to your breathing and would rather that not start happening while skating.

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2022, 04:50:09 PM »
I would say not working every session on keeping tricks. I went about two months without flipping my board and now I am relearning shit. I need to go through my whole bag each session to stay current on shit.

I also need to stop telling myself it’s okay to not flip my board bc of my age. Apparently I still want to do it, so I need to make myself do it. One day I physically will not be able to any longer, and I will be pissed.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2022, 06:44:44 PM »
I would say not working every session on keeping tricks. I went about two months without flipping my board and now I am relearning shit. I need to go through my whole bag each session to stay current on shit.

I also need to stop telling myself it’s okay to not flip my board bc of my age. Apparently I still want to do it, so I need to make myself do it. One day I physically will not be able to any longer, and I will be pissed.

Just try a few every session, like 10. If it comes it comes, if not move on and don't kill your session. I'm over trying to hammer out a trick for 3 hours just to eek out a shit one. Plus it's fun to mix it up.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m