Author Topic: Bad Habits  (Read 4139 times)

Lessfillingtastegreat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 54
Re: Bad Habits
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2022, 07:15:25 PM »
Switch mongo is only a bad habit if you cannot push switch normally

I can switch push but lately when trying tricks switch I find myself going faster / bumps / bump to ledge etc.  for this I push switch mongo with the Little hop bounce set up then pop.  My trucks are ultra loose too so the occasion switch push just looks sketchy on its own. 

If I’m skating slower, ledges etc I’ll do the switch push or alternate between the two.

A new one I’ve been noticing. Is this thing where I can feel my should tense up.  Don’t know what the fuck it is but I don’t like it. Like they are in full lactic acidosis burn the entire session.   
8.1 Drift -  venture 5.6 , Jessup, SFF  54mm Swiss ceramics  -https://imgur.com/a/WlDgenx

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2022, 09:33:20 PM »
A new one I’ve been noticing. Is this thing where I can feel my should tense up.  Don’t know what the fuck it is but I don’t like it. Like they are in full lactic acidosis burn the entire session.

Do you skate wearing some kind of hat, hood or heavy clothes (i.e.. vests) a lot, because I've had something like that before and had to start avoiding wearing any accessory weight from the shoulders up (in general but mostly while skating) partly due to it. Sounds silly I know but the extra tension on my shoulders and neck regardless of how subtle (it also was constant) suddenly didn't mix well with the way I was moving anymore, combine that with work hours spent sitting on a chair (although always watching posture) and getting older in general, I was starting to develop something similar to what you're describing; I'd also regularly end up with a stiff neck, sometimes for days after particularly hardcore sessions wearing hoods and/or vests, feeling as though those had been messing with my alignment. Noticed the pattern, started watching that and never ran into the problem again. May not be your situation, but just in case. Also always try and drink more water.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2022, 10:13:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Switch mongo is only a bad habit if you cannot push switch normally
[close]

I can switch push but lately when trying tricks switch I find myself going faster / bumps / bump to ledge etc.  for this I push switch mongo with the Little hop bounce set up then pop.  My trucks are ultra loose too so the occasion switch push just looks sketchy on its own. 

If I’m skating slower, ledges etc I’ll do the switch push or alternate between the two.

Yeah I feel that. I switch push to get around a lot and sometimes during a sesh. But I feel that I set up most of my sw/fakie ledge tricks, with a few exceptions, slightly better if I swongo. Maybe its years of habit, but I also feel like it helps me square off my shoulders a bit better

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2022, 02:22:57 AM »
i kickflip with super open shoulders, tried to correct it but they still work so have kinda just run with it now.

Hubba Bo-Tep

• Rep: 43
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2022, 05:00:24 AM »
Expand Quote
I would say not working every session on keeping tricks. I went about two months without flipping my board and now I am relearning shit. I need to go through my whole bag each session to stay current on shit.

I also need to stop telling myself it’s okay to not flip my board bc of my age. Apparently I still want to do it, so I need to make myself do it. One day I physically will not be able to any longer, and I will be pissed.
[close]

Just try a few every session, like 10. If it comes it comes, if not move on and don't kill your session. I'm over trying to hammer out a trick for 3 hours just to eek out a shit one. Plus it's fun to mix it up.

I've just started doing this 'cause i've been going to my local park long enough now that I'm being asked to join games of skate despite everyone being at least 20 years younger.  Surprising how long it takes to go through 10-20 attempts of all the basics regs and switch.  Was about 1.5hrs in before I even got to flipping!  Good practice though.

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2022, 03:27:11 AM »
Expand Quote
I would say not working every session on keeping tricks. I went about two months without flipping my board and now I am relearning shit. I need to go through my whole bag each session to stay current on shit.

I also need to stop telling myself it’s okay to not flip my board bc of my age. Apparently I still want to do it, so I need to make myself do it. One day I physically will not be able to any longer, and I will be pissed.
[close]

Just try a few every session, like 10. If it comes it comes, if not move on and don't kill your session. I'm over trying to hammer out a trick for 3 hours just to eek out a shit one. Plus it's fun to mix it up.
Great advice, Rock. It does kind of kill my vibe when I struggle with them. 10 is a good number. I’m getting on them now and making a shitty one every session, but 10 full-effort tries is a good number. If it ain’t happening after 10, time to move along.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2022, 04:19:49 AM »
Tensing the feet and pointing down on the catch/missed catch has been the reason for a few ankles for me

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2022, 04:34:51 AM »
Well, I pushed Mongo for the first 14 of my 37 years skateboarding.

Did the same thing. Learned to push correctly during a particularly cold winter in my 20s when there wasn’t much else to do. I think mongo kind of screws up how you position your shoulders too.

Other bad habits:

Did not properly deck my 50-50s for at least 10 years

Didn’t lift my truck on fakie or disaster for a long time because I learned on a ramp with noping.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2022, 06:56:19 PM »
Idk where I picked this up from but I have this habit of bending my right arm (I'm regs) all weird when I setup for a trick. Looking like a teapot short and stout. It's real bad.

yghartsyrt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2022, 05:28:52 AM »
I‘m also doing the hop the before tricks. Drives me crazy.
Plus I cannot go straight towards a Trick most of the time. I nearly always do a small mini curve as if I’m afraid that I’m too fast hitting an obstacle. Looks super stupid - like I’m sort of a squirrel

tonyhawksmanywives

• Rep: 9
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2022, 05:11:41 PM »
i rely too much on thinking i have muscle memory. for frontside ollies on transition that i need to pop for, i alway think im either just bonking my truck or i forget to pop

sacking rails

• Rep: -221
  • sacking rails
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2022, 06:41:44 PM »
blaming my failing marriage on my job

antagonizing people with weapons

Tommy G

• Rep: -14
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2022, 06:31:02 AM »
With an amalgamation of bad skate habits over the years, my worst one is not bending my legs enough. I’ll occasionally watch footage of myself and realize that I don’t bend down near as much as I should and I wonder why my pop suffers in the long run.

gringo_viejo

• Rep: 41
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2022, 06:50:28 PM »
My whole style is a collection of tics and bad habits:
Crow hop when setting up for a trick
Grind the front foot into the grip
Clench my teeth...
...and then 50/50 with my back outside wheel and my front inside wheel locked in (instead of reversed, the right way)
Later, buy another new deck because that will make me better, right?

BallparkFrank

• Rep: 11
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2022, 06:22:03 PM »
A high pitched scream every time I’m bailing something

vinithebr

• Rep: -25
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2022, 08:31:41 PM »
Bad ollies into grinds. Which falls into the commitment issue.

I can do a good variety of grinds standing still near the ledge or rail, but whenever I try rolling towards the obstacle I pop the shittiest rocket ollie that barely leaves the ground, making me eat shit.

And I fall like shit too.

Not only do I do the holding my breath thing, sometimes Ill puff out my cheeks during the trick. No idea why, but Im working on it
which cheeks we talking?

disclosed

• Rep: 168
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2022, 02:17:17 AM »
overthinking. especially on 180 nocomplys, whenever i land a trick and just do one after its no problem cause i dont think, but when i start my line with one suddenly i only land one every 10 tries. i either forget to turn my shoulders, don't pop, or flip my board over. it can drive me crazy.
reason i start lines with 180 nocomplys is cause i can not push switch/fakie at all so i just start out regulair and then 180 nocomply before the trick i wanna do fakie.

also skate very front heavy in general. my front trucks hit axle first, but cause of that i also slows down or even stick on grinds often.

clench my fists when i do tricks. looks like i'm taking one of those massive shits.

Logic

• Rep: 35
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2022, 11:06:31 PM »
I get into the habit of approaching something like a rail from the same direction, like it can just be a rail on flat with nothing around it but I'll only grind it from one direction and will circle around back to where I approached it, especially for learning tricks.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2022, 11:59:41 PM »
One of my worst habits was tensing my feet and pointing them down when catching flip tricks. Good technique for rolling ankles, not for catching tricks

oak leaf

• Rep: 45
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2022, 08:18:46 AM »
Cig stomping on my grip. toe area of my soles always first to go because of it. Also looks like shit lol

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2022, 09:07:10 AM »
Being too tense or stiff when skating transition. Doing the same trick a million times and forgetting about others lol. Failing to really commit to Ollie's like when bombing hills or off banked skatepark obstacles, although I'm really getting over this one.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2022, 10:10:42 AM »
A couple of recent bad habit revelations that have helped my 47 year old arse upon discovery.

-Sometimes I jump stupidly high on flip tricks... I can be a couple of feet above my board, perhaps subconsciously thinking it will help me land a slow and sluggish flip but really its the cause of it. Recently I have made an effort to not jump and my flips are a fair bit crisper and of course caught better....

-Bending the knees... I might be struggling with a trick, whether it be an FSO on transition or a flatground flip and remind myself that I should be being down further on the set up... Not sure when I neglected this... Such a simple thing but it really helps.

I love these little (re)discoveries the board teaches me as I age.

Pbn_jake

• Rep: 30
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2022, 11:23:30 AM »
If it is a trick out of the norm, I get incredibly close first try and then usually by the 5th try it looks like I never had a chance. Or even worse, I’ll do it first try and then never again. I have more tricks in this category than my goto tricks to be completely honest.

switchfakie

« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2023, 07:03:15 PM »
dreaded back foot griptape shifty movement before popping a trick

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2023, 09:12:36 AM »
I have a bad habit of not trying new tricks enough.

I get on my board and throw like 3 if I tried any because it feels so bad. I'm not used to feeling bad on the board ever. It's my whole life and without my skateboard I feel bad all the time .
That feeling is why I had no switch powers till like when I was 19 or so.
And no switch back 80 and no nollie frontside till 2022.

I literally just got them.

Other bad habits on the board would be doing too many pressure flips and impossibles. My boards all get ill Gumby tail. 
Walker Ryan has me trying switch ones again tho. He's my favorite skater so far this year.
Should have it in a few days tops. I just gotta keep it under me.
I'm also practicing nollie back heels. I need to better my land rates because it's my favorite trick rn.

I'm setting up a lighter board rn with sub 54mm wheels for practicing flat. When I switch back to the 58s I'll have them locked AF for lines. I've never been a heel flipper.
That local Joe guy got me working on them. I wasn't flicking them with the right part of my foot which had me getting half flips mostly.
Except
I've always been good at half cab heels inward heels in all fours. Fakie heels is my go to flip trick tho.

I have a bad habit of scaring people away with my lack of thought before my actions. I'm a wild and inconsistent in my emotions. I'm probably too honest about my feelings and too public with my pain.
It's limited my mission to become friends with the entire planet minus NAZIs and other abusers.

I just want other people not to feel alone in their pain. Everything hurts but together we can escape this
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

psychout_

• Rep: 5
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2023, 03:55:13 AM »
i do that awful hop before popping my tricks too, also my back arm does some weird ass movement when i pop some tricks, like it's chasing flies when i'm in the air right after popping a pop shuv or a big ollie
i don't try enough new tricks and end up feeling frustrated because my bag of tricks isn't growing, mostly because i do lots of easy circus tricks when i start getting bored
i never skated flat bars and rails because i don't practice grinds and slides as much as i'd like to even though i know i'd love being good on these and it would open doors for me

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2023, 05:33:36 AM »
Not keeping my shoulders opened up, and spending time on slap are the main things holding me back in life

FunnyBunny

• Rep: 20
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2023, 05:55:08 PM »
Not working on doing tricks better and instead just checking the boxes off, particularly with ledge tricks.  Part of this may be not skating consistently enough and feeling like I have to make sure I still got everything even when I know I do and may be served better doing something multiple times and trying to do actually do the trick well.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -617
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2023, 10:37:31 PM »
Sometimes when I lock into grinds (in transition) I get knock-knees. It's a total style killer. Happens the most with frontside 50s. I've been focusing on watching what my knees are doing during grinds recently and making sure they are parallel and not pointing inwards.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2023, 10:46:38 PM »
I tent to scratch my scalp when sweaty. This is always a bad idea
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)