Author Topic: Last new food you tried…  (Read 977 times)

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 221
Last new food you tried…
« on: August 31, 2022, 11:31:01 AM »
I’m bored.
I have somehow made it through my life until recently without knowing about Peri Peri chicken. So good.
Also had my first calamari recently. So bad.

Mean salto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
Re: Last new food you tried…
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2022, 11:53:50 AM »
Salted caramel mars bar...
I hate going to restaurants so pretty much always cook for myself. I made chicken Mac n cheese nachos the other day. was pretty good.
Had a roast chicken breast shredded it up. Cooked spiral pasta. Cut up an onion and a carrot really small fried that for a lil bit. Put it in an oven dish with some corn kernels and covered it in salsa and shredded cheese, put it in oven till cheese was all melted then just scooped it out with nachos.

Edit: I guess this isn't exactly new food I've made different variations of this a million times just never gone chicken, pasta and nacho's all together

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2022, 12:48:53 PM »
Sucking out the back of a shrimp head. Good shit

Blind Fisherman

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2022, 01:17:41 PM »
Tried some veggie vindaloo last week. Absolutely delicious, but enough spice to make me sweat my ass off in the restaurant.

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2022, 07:47:37 AM »
Haven't tried it yet, but I'm curious about achiote paste. Looks like you can mix it into marinades, salsas, and spicy shit to flavor it up and give it a deadly red look. Does it suck? I don't know!

« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 08:11:03 AM by FROTHY »

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2022, 08:20:50 AM »
I’m bored.
I have somehow made it through my life until recently without knowing about Peri Peri chicken. So good.

Was it fried calamari ? That shit is like crack to me. If I'm having food at a pub or something like that, best believe I'm getting a plate or two as an appetizer and I'm not sharing. Pub close to me makes their own beer batter and it's SO good. Regular un-fried calamari tastes like rubbery fish though.

Peri Peri chicken fucking rules. There's a Portuguese restaurant close to my BJJ gym and I stop there regularly, some of the best chicken I've ever had.

I made Chicken Tetrazzini for the first time the other night. Not bad, just thought it was a bit bland for the amount of time it took. I'm going to have to work on it.

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 634
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2022, 08:39:34 AM »
Expand Quote
I’m bored.
[close]

Was it fried calamari ? That shit is like crack to me. If I'm having food at a pub or something like that, best believe I'm getting a plate or two as an appetizer and I'm not sharing. Pub close to me makes their own beer batter and it's SO good. Regular un-fried calamari tastes like rubbery fish though.

Second this, fried calamari is always my go to. A good marinara sauce to compliment it is key too.

Get hungry on it!

GumOnMyGrip

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2022, 10:41:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I’m bored.
[close]

[close]

Second this, fried calamari is always my go to. A good marinara sauce to compliment it is key too.

I guess I’m going to try again- it was a texture thing for me.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2022, 10:52:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I’m bored.
[close]

[close]

[close]

Go calamaris, onion rings and those circle fries all together get a bit of a lucky dip going

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 634
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2022, 01:19:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I’m bored.
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah I mean it also matters where you're eating it too probably, I've had bad calamari at average restaurants that was just frozen re-heated bullshit.

Get hungry on it!

professional

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2022, 01:28:57 PM »
I tried Kumpir for the first time the other night. It's a Turkish dish - a massive baked potato cut down the middle, the inside is mashed with butter and cheese, and then topped with a while assortments of toppings like red beet, a saffron carrot slaw, olives, corn, sheep cheese, tomato, jalapenos, zucchini and more.

If you're in Berlin, you gotta hit Heimweh for this one.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2022, 01:45:22 PM »
I tried Kumpir for the first time the other night. It's a Turkish dish - a massive baked potato cut down the middle, the inside is mashed with butter and cheese, and then topped with a while assortments of toppings like red beet, a saffron carrot slaw, olives, corn, sheep cheese, tomato, jalapenos, zucchini and more.

That looks yummy.

My wife recently accidentially put lemon thyme instead of regular thyme into the usual tomato pasta sauce. This gives it a nice citrussy twist.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

GumOnMyGrip

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2022, 02:24:03 PM »

This is next level. Looks amazing

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2022, 06:37:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I’m bored.
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Yeah I mean it also matters where you're eating it too probably, I've had bad calamari at average restaurants that was just frozen re-heated bullshit.
100% this. I’ve tried the calamari served at some of the fancier spots in town recently and they were all so much better than other places. The stuff they were serving was crunchy on the outside but tender and meaty on the inside.

Went to a fancy Italian place yesterday and tried chitarra for the first time. I guess it’s a kind of pasta similar to spaghetti but made on a special pasta shaper thing? It was cooked in a light tomato sauce with a bunch of different kinds of seafood, and was legit one of the best pasta dishes I’ve ever had. Definitely wanna figure out how to recreate it at home

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1381
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2022, 08:55:41 PM »
@professional that looks soooo dank. my old lady makes some good loaded baked potatoes, but that's next level. the saffron carrot slaw sounds off the hook. i've been messing with a raw sauerkraut thats and herbal blend with cabbage, carrots, burdock horseradish, garlic, kale, nettle leaf, ginger, lemon, Himalayan sea salt, Thyme, oregano, and Cayenne pepper! my body craves it. find myself eating spoonfuls throughout the day for a snack...

but the newest food i've tried recently is Burrito Lengua (beef tongue). Mexican joint up the road makes their own tortillas every day and they're incredible soft, chewy, and lardy. I generally avoid beef or pork burritos/tacos but figured it was time to try the lengua. no joke, it's the softest, easiest to chew chunked meat i've ever had. I don't eat much meat and have trouble digesting a lot of it, but the lengua offers no such issue. 100% off the hook good.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Resident Jeff

• Rep: 20
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2022, 09:28:04 PM »
Haven't tried it yet, but I'm curious about achiote paste. Looks like you can mix it into marinades, salsas, and spicy shit to flavor it up and give it a deadly red look. Does it suck? I don't know!

This shit is the bomb, although I wouldn’t be using it for salsas/sauces/dressings etc. Far too strong.
Blitz it up in a marinade, pork & seafood work best in my opinion, never tried beef but I reckon that would be pretty sound. Anything fatty will help cut through the richness of the achiote, as will anything acidic.
Use it sparingly, too much and you’ll taste it for a week.
Reschs Refreshes

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2022, 09:41:52 PM »
Korean shaved ice. It is milk based (rather than water based) and tasty, but obv not for anyone with any lactose issues.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2022, 07:39:42 PM »
Red Bean is a gamble for any round eye…..I’ve horrified a few white people…

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1573
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2022, 10:03:10 PM »

Is it like natto?
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1226
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2022, 06:42:07 AM »
just popping in to check yall calamari heads, theres a reason why some is better than others...

some places use pork bung instead of squid

https://www.dallasobserver.com/restaurants/npr-claims-pig-rectum-is-a-suitable-substitute-for-calamari-in-a-pinch-7043151

https://galleychef.org/index.php/pork-bung-or-calamari/

most deep fried stuff tastes the same but i guess when your chewing on asshole you can tell the difference?

im good on calamari

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 509
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2022, 06:51:34 AM »
Name me one appetizer served with marinara that wouldn’t be better with tzatziki or sour cream or aioli, etc.  Marinara is fine as a sauce, but is a dungeon tier dip, should be served with pasta and pretty much nothing else.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2022, 07:31:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Is it like natto?

No…not at all.  Natto is way more horrifying but it’s not posing as a desert…..that’s what gets people. Asian desserts have it tough against people raised in North America….a banana split against warm red bean soup? 

ValentinaPrince

• Rep: -1
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2022, 08:32:06 AM »
The last dish I tried was chicken in sour cream-garlic sauce. I study nutritional science to understand the proper balance of nutrition. Now I know how to make healthy recipes and share them online. Most of the time, I prefer to make healthy desserts. My husband has a sweet tooth, so I always try to surprise him with a new idea. Last time I made blueberry cheesecake. I didn't expect it to be that good. Maybe I can open my pastry shop at some point soon. I also enjoy making breakfasts. Right now, it's granola week. That is, I'm making different granola breakfasts for the whole week. I found a great place to get very nutritious granola at https://michelesgranola.com. If you are a fan of this kind of breakfast, you will appreciate it.

sacking rails

• Rep: -222
  • sacking rails
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2022, 12:40:00 PM »
pig feet

preciousmine

• Rep: 0
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2022, 02:38:14 PM »
I remember the last new food I tried as a tasty and sweet masterpiece. It was last week, at a well-known restaurant in my town https://www.riwa-restaurant.de/de/ . It was an oreo bubble waffle. I really love oreo. I think these are the most delicious biscuits someone could ever try. They are a beautiful combination between black and white, biscuit and cream. And seeing in the menu the opportunity to choose an oreo bubble waffle made me happy. From the first bite, I understood that this will be my new favourite. It tastes at the same time familiar, as my mom used to make me waffles when I was a child, and also so unusual with the taste of my favorite cookies. If you haven’t tried them yet, I sincerely recommend you doing it.

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1095
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2022, 10:13:22 AM »
This is of-topic but every time I read OP's username, I say it like Sandra Bullock says it right here:

https://youtu.be/WzwqFINekwg
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

GumOnMyGrip

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2022, 11:08:30 AM »
This is of-topic but every time I read OP's username, I say it like Sandra Bullock says it right here:

https://youtu.be/WzwqFINekwg

Ed made my whole week.

sacking rails

• Rep: -222
  • sacking rails
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2022, 01:40:59 PM »
fried pickled schezuan eel