Author Topic: DOA needs our help  (Read 4472 times)

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 850
Re: DOA needs our help
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2023, 11:01:41 PM »

You guys probably already have this in your recs but this post mortem is a good listen.

Well that should clear it up hahaha. I'm glad he laid it all out like that. It's funny to hear him and mitch going over it all and there was stuff even I didn't know in there.

Like I said this is probably going to be the reality for a while.. Market forces have shifted enough that a 90s nostalgia company run by a dude in his spare time is just not really feasible unless you've got financial backing from somewhere other than board sales. DOA had kind of a passionate following on here and that may have made it seem like it was a bigger deal than it was but the reality is it was small potatoes in the skate world. Fletch always seemed like he just wanted to sell good boards and hook people up and he did both those things extremely well. He was in it for all the right reasons and I'm very happy to have supported (and been supported by) the brand but this is just how it goes sometimes.

Kombuch-A-Holic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2023, 07:23:16 AM »
good listen.

Dooky-shoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2023, 07:28:21 AM »
Burner account for the guy who constantly posts DOA stuff or do they get that much love?
Not familiar with the brand

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2023, 08:34:21 AM »
Burner account for the guy who constantly posts DOA stuff or do they get that much love?
Not familiar with the brand

Which account? Pretty sure Fletch has an account and is open about being him. And the brand is dead now, it did have a solid following here. Just use the search function and look at the threads from when promos dropped or new gear or even a sale popped up.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

El Freegano

• Rep: 217
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2023, 10:32:41 AM »
Sad for the brand. Didn't know much about it except some posts over here and mentionings of their flat as fuck decks. This podcast was very interesting to listen. I watched the doa videos after that and i was super hyped from the hip hop edits. anyways, wish Steve all the best!

Shrinedescender

• Rep: 146
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2023, 11:21:47 AM »

You guys probably already have this in your recs but this post mortem is a good listen.

Really enjoyed this, and I'll look out for future episodes. Sad to see a brand run so passionately and with such a cool identity shutter this way. They had some of the best graphics of the past few years in my opinion; shame I had to admire them from shops' sites and not under people's feet. Sucks also how ungrateful some of the people who flowed through DOA seemed. Flipping product inside out, not wearing or riding free stuff, and holding footy when you're getting hooked up is fucking wack. All because you're more hyped on your generic-ass homie video with hi-8 cliff diving montages and indie rock. Fletch and Mitch seem like they're in an okay place though, and I wish them the best.   

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2023, 11:35:58 AM »
Joey shithead is doing well.

Very underrated post
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2023, 01:23:06 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Well that should clear it up hahaha. I'm glad he laid it all out like that. It's funny to hear him and mitch going over it all and there was stuff even I didn't know in there.

Like I said this is probably going to be the reality for a while.. Market forces have shifted enough that a 90s nostalgia company run by a dude in his spare time is just not really feasible unless you've got financial backing from somewhere other than board sales. DOA had kind of a passionate following on here and that may have made it seem like it was a bigger deal than it was but the reality is it was small potatoes in the skate world. Fletch always seemed like he just wanted to sell good boards and hook people up and he did both those things extremely well. He was in it for all the right reasons and I'm very happy to have supported (and been supported by) the brand but this is just how it goes sometimes.

I kept wondering if they mentioned you @Buttfart Rapedick when they were talking people who order flats, chase boards down etc

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1067
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2023, 02:06:18 PM »
In an industry full of disconnected and uninspired people trying to make money off of skaters, DOA/Steve were making cool stuff that was interesting and well thought out and he wasn't afraid to poke fun at the lameness that permeates our lifestyle.
He made what he liked and didn't follow trends.

chris.

• Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2023, 02:52:03 PM »
Since I can’t buy more DOA boards I guess I’m just going with Ross Norman Politic decks from here on out.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1198
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2023, 03:11:53 PM »
I think the Hermes graphic was my favorite.  The black with the embossed lettering was really cool.

Listening to that podcast made me realize that I didn’t get most of his references.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2023, 04:01:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I kept wondering if they mentioned you @Buttfart Rapedick when they were talking people who order flats, chase boards down etc

I didn't hear my name but I was puttering around the apartment while I had it on so maybe he threw me an S/O and I didn't catch it. He's incredibly gracious even like privately/informally so I know he appreciates me (and all the other DOA groupies) either way. When he said he doesn't keep anything he wasn't lying, even as recently as a few weeks ago I randomly get boxes of lightly skated decks showing up at my door - usually not even DOA just random shit he thinks I'd like.

Anyways I could literally fill pages of this thread with stories about cool shit he's done for me or others but I'm just glad the dude is happy, and I'm confident whatever he decides to put his energy into (like the podcast) is going to be good.

chris.

« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2023, 04:27:47 PM »
I asked once asked if there were any more of the Air Tech Challenge inspired decks around (such a dope graphic, it has embossed rackets) and he sent me the last one he was holding for himself. Kinda felt bad taking it,  but that’s one of my favorite decks I’ve ever owned.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1373
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2023, 04:31:54 PM »
I’m lucky enough to own the clockers-inspired Carlos Kenner model. Beautiful board. It wasn’t easy to get doa boards in Canada (minus the source carrying them for a little bit from what I saw), but I needed that Carlos jawn. This podcast is also a clear glimpse into how disjointed running a company can be. Much respect

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2023, 06:28:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I didn't hear my name but I was puttering around the apartment while I had it on so maybe he threw me an S/O and I didn't catch it. He's incredibly gracious even like privately/informally so I know he appreciates me (and all the other DOA groupies) either way. When he said he doesn't keep anything he wasn't lying, even as recently as a few weeks ago I randomly get boxes of lightly skated decks showing up at my door - usually not even DOA just random shit he thinks I'd like.

Anyways I could literally fill pages of this thread with stories about cool shit he's done for me or others but I'm just glad the dude is happy, and I'm confident whatever he decides to put his energy into (like the podcast) is going to be good.

I loved him shitting on the team for not skating the boards. The few times I skated with him he was skating sour boards
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2023, 06:07:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I loved him shitting on the team for not skating the boards. The few times I skated with him he was skating sour boards

Steve goes through phases..one of the worst madness sufferers I know haha. Before the sours it was the ps Stix scumcos for a while, then afterwards it was a dlx shape and I think he's on a palace shape now. He always ended up back on flats eventually, but a lot of the time those sold out in his (and mine) size super fast because there was maybe a dozen 8.12/8.25 per run at most. If he didnt stash any away for himself they'd be gone in a few days max and most of the time when he did stash them he'd end up selling or giving his personal stash to someone who hit him up looking for flats long before the next order came in (which was usually months after it was supposed to be) and have to try to find other mellow boards to skate until then. He's in his 40s and the SC standard mold is one of the steepest on the market so they're like impossible to skate once old man legs take hold. There was one weird run a year or two ago where SC used a new glue or something and the boards came out mellow enough that we were both able to skate the flattest ones, but it was when the demandemic was still kicking and shops were begging for wood so I only got 2 of them.

So not sure if you were trying to imply hypocrisy, but he definitely skated them when he had them and also skates other stuff as well. Pretty standard practice really, I personally don't know any small company owner that exclusively skates their own boards.

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2023, 03:25:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Steve goes through phases..one of the worst madness sufferers I know haha. Before the sours it was the ps Stix scumcos for a while, then afterwards it was a dlx shape and I think he's on a palace shape now. He always ended up back on flats eventually, but a lot of the time those sold out in his (and mine) size super fast because there was maybe a dozen 8.12/8.25 per run at most. If he didnt stash any away for himself they'd be gone in a few days max and most of the time when he did stash them he'd end up selling or giving his personal stash to someone who hit him up looking for flats long before the next order came in (which was usually months after it was supposed to be) and have to try to find other mellow boards to skate until then. He's in his 40s and the SC standard mold is one of the steepest on the market so they're like impossible to skate once old man legs take hold. There was one weird run a year or two ago where SC used a new glue or something and the boards came out mellow enough that we were both able to skate the flattest ones, but it was when the demandemic was still kicking and shops were begging for wood so I only got 2 of them.

So not sure if you were trying to imply hypocrisy, but he definitely skated them when he had them and also skates other stuff as well. Pretty standard practice really, I personally don't know any small company owner that exclusively skates their own boards.

No wasn’t implying hypocrisy at all, thoroughly enjoyed it. I still have some boards from the last run that I couldn’t ride because SC didn’t send any squares. I ride 8.25 and he sent me some 8.3’a that were the squareist of the run. I was really trying to get him to do a couple flat squares before he decided he was done

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 293
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2023, 05:47:44 PM »
we cannot love skateboarding, new or veterans, and allow legendary smaller companies be dismantled in place of generic corporate wasteland companies. Help out, buy a fucking deck .
at this point i don’t think “generic corporate wasteland companies” are undermining cool lowkey underground brands, it’s other indie brands. the only reason a lot of the legacy corpo brands are still in business is because they’re owned by investment firms and sell completes at department stores. the problem is there are too many brands and only so many consumers, and in DOA’s case a shrinking amount of consumers who are interested in what they had to offer. i love 90s nostalgia and tributes to “the golden era” as much as any other 30+ year old dude posting here, but that stuff only appeals to a minuscule portion of the people buying skateboarding products. skaters are especially fickle, starting a brand in skateboarding is a fruitless endeavor and i would advise against it unless you have something really truly special on your hands.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2023, 07:39:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

No wasn’t implying hypocrisy at all, thoroughly enjoyed it. I still have some boards from the last run that I couldn’t ride because SC didn’t send any squares. I ride 8.25 and he sent me some 8.3’a that were the squareist of the run. I was really trying to get him to do a couple flat squares before he decided he was done

You actually weren't alone.

So there were a handful of square flats in one of the earlier runs, but Steve thought they were the ugliest thing he's ever seen haha. But since he's a super cool dude, he was trying to get a handful made for me for literally like a year and a half. Every single order he would put them on, - at first it was only one or two but then he tried asking for like 5 the one run - and SC would just ignore it. There were like 3-4 runs where this happened haha. The flats were a crap shoot to begin with in that he never knew what sizes/graphics were going to come in and sometimes there would be less than expected. It was always a "let's wait and see what they send" kinda deal.

Maybe we should all pester Damon at politic to make square flats now...

MxsDx

• Rep: 94
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2023, 07:44:41 AM »
For anyone interested, all the DOA board graphics are archived (for now) at:

https://beaconlifestyleshop.com/?category_id=5e96588a34ef0156596a04e9

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2023, 08:01:45 AM »

excellent, thanks for this

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2023, 12:18:51 PM »
i never managed to get a flames deck. the flames suck and i dont like hockey, but city pride. a bit sad about that one.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 118
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2023, 03:45:14 PM »

beacon is a dope shop,I actually copped a DOA 8.38 square from them a while back that is currently my wife's board/ cruiser. Maybe I'll put some smaller wheels on it and try and shred, thing is shaped like a snowboard!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2023, 02:22:27 AM »
All time favorite DOA graphic is the stacked toe tags over half the board. I have a cherry red one with a unique wood grain that is my favorite deck Ive skated as an adult that I think would legit be one of the first things I tossed out the window in case of a fire. It's going on the wall the day I decide to stop skating it. Simple but great looking, I think wknd even ripped that graphic off actually. Just the toe tag alone is one of coolest logos I've ever seen actually... The guy who did it also drew a full wanted poster graphic for Ben that I thought was rad too.

That's not quite everything, just everything that got sent to Japan. There's a fair few things missing but Steve never saves anything so I'm not sure if there's even pics. I'll empty some boxes and look through my old phones one of these days and dig up some of the other ones.

chris.

« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2023, 11:07:49 AM »
I love the toe tag deck.  An old friend went to college with Patrick, the artist that did the logo. That was a fun little small world moment when I posted up a DOA deck with a sticker from my friend on IG.

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 128
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2023, 02:26:21 PM »
All time favorite DOA graphic is the stacked toe tags over half the board. I have a cherry red one with a unique wood grain that is my favorite deck Ive skated as an adult that I think would legit be one of the first things I tossed out the window in case of a fire. It's going on the wall the day I decide to stop skating it. Simple but great looking, I think wknd even ripped that graphic off actually. Just the toe tag alone is one of coolest logos I've ever seen actually... The guy who did it also drew a full wanted poster graphic for Ben that I thought was rad too.

Expand Quote

[close]

That's not quite everything, just everything that got sent to Japan. There's a fair few things missing but Steve never saves anything so I'm not sure if there's even pics. I'll empty some boxes and look through my old phones one of these days and dig up some of the other ones.

The red toe tag is one of my favorites along with the hermes and white devil.

nosneb

• Rep: 90
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2023, 05:59:20 PM »

I saved a few

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2023, 12:18:29 AM »
Some of the better ones too, ^
(not that any of them looked bad)

Edit I used search answered my own question  ;)

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2023, 02:27:01 AM »

These are all flats I believe. I've got some standards around here somewhere too, I just have to find them.

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 128
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2023, 11:27:43 AM »

These are all flats I believe. I've got some standards around here somewhere too, I just have to find them.

That eyestone and jimmy chung are great.
I usually bought doubles in 7.5.
But skated most of em.