Author Topic: Silicone sealant instead of shoegoo?  (Read 1784 times)

Steely Daniel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
Silicone sealant instead of shoegoo?
« on: September 03, 2022, 02:53:38 PM »
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/permatex-black-rtv-silicone-adhesive-sealant-16br-80-ml-0383717p.html

Has anyone ever tried this stuff or any similar product?

My black NB 306 have the smallest hole developing and I don't want to put a crusty layer of shoe goo jizz on them yet, nor did I want to overpay for the black shoe goo online. Found some of this stuff in my dad's garage. Says it bonds/seals glass, fabric, metal and vinyl. Doesn't say rubber though... so I dunno. The back says it takes an hour to lose tackiness and 24 hours for a full cure.

I was thinking of making 1/4 inch kinda toe cap from the rubber up to my ollie wear all around to my kickflip toe but wondering if it will be too soft or will get all over my grip tape immediately.

I have normal clear shoe goo but it's ugly as sin and I just got these shoes recently. Also, I haven't even opened it from the display package and call already smell the noxious chemicals...

For now I think I might just cut a patch out of my old black half cabs and superglue that over the worst worn spot as a quick fix so I can still skate tonight.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 977
  • the moon rules
Re: Silicone sealant instead of shoegoo?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2022, 02:59:52 PM »
I’ve used silicone sealer to make a water tight seal between angle iron and concrete before. It’s going to be softer to the touch than shoe goo. Almost spongy feeling if that makes sense. I wouldn’t go too crazy making a toe cap with it; it’s going to be too soft and not abrasion resistant.  A little dab could work for a little Ollie hole in the sense that anything is better than nothing
fuck you bama

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2022, 03:09:28 PM »
Thanks that was my biggest concern. I'll just try my patch method today and then slather on the shoegoo once that inevitably falls off.

Lessfillingtastegreat

• Rep: 54
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2022, 05:17:12 PM »
I’ve done some legit shoe goo jobs with masking tape.  I hate new shoes so if im skating well in a shoe I’ll do a thin goo layer.   Typically scuffs in pretty quickly and allows you to skate well broken in shoes. Seems like when vans get to the sweet spot it is about a session out from total destruction.  Even if the sole is good. That’s when the goo comes out to milk one last sesh out of them 
8.1 Drift -  venture 5.6 , Jessup, SFF  54mm Swiss ceramics  -https://imgur.com/a/WlDgenx

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2022, 10:01:46 PM »
Bought a tube of E6000 since the label says it the same chemicals as Shoe Goo at 1/2 the price. The consistency is thinner so depending on how you apply it on your shoe it could be easier or hard to do.

Took almost 2x as long to harden, I used to apply Shoe Goo the night before a morning session and I'd be good to go. Had to leave the E6000 on for at least 24 hours before it was hard and didn't flex on the touch.

Grip wise it's a little less grippy than Shoe Goo, not always a bad thing since Shoe Goo can be overly grippy for the first hour of the session before it gets smoothed out.

Durability is around the same as Shoe Goo.

Overall a decent replacement if you can't find Shoe Goo, but I'd stick with the original stuff.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ourladyoftheflowers

• Rep: 95
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2022, 10:33:12 AM »
Use shoe goo on all my shoes but while we're here has anyone tried those stick and flick suede patches? Got a sale pair of blazers online and didn't realize they were canvas. Trying to decide if i wanna make a toecap outta goo or try the flick and stick

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2022, 11:25:04 AM »
I’ve glued suede patches from old shoes on ollie holes with glue gun hot melt glue. Works beautifully and looks totally fucked up which makes it even better IMO.  ;D

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2022, 04:46:22 PM »
If I had cut out a better shape and they were closer to the same shade it would have turned out better. Also, I glued a bit of  a napkin and made a mess near the edge there with the gorilla glue super glue ha.

Shoes don't even look that good to begin with. I should have got the blue cream ones. Black shoes without white on the sole look kinda bad. They feel fine though and it looks marginally better than a layer of shoe goo jism

Lessfillingtastegreat

• Rep: 54
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2022, 05:43:09 PM »
If I had cut out a better shape and they were closer to the same shade it would have turned out better. Also, I glued a bit of  a napkin and made a mess near the edge there with the gorilla glue super glue ha.

Shoes don't even look that good to begin with. I should have got the blue cream ones. Black shoes without white on the sole look kinda bad. They feel fine though and it looks marginally better than a layer of shoe goo jism

Brilliant.  Looks the part too. 
I saw some New York pro maximmilon or something.  Putting goo on his laces.  Any feedback on this?
8.1 Drift -  venture 5.6 , Jessup, SFF  54mm Swiss ceramics  -https://imgur.com/a/WlDgenx

IpathCats

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2022, 12:44:37 PM »
Yea that sealant isnt gonna work at all. wont hold up to abrasion, its strength is water resistance. superglue works better for me than shoe goo in most skate shoe cases. You just gotta learn when/where to apply.

Expand Quote

[close]

I saw some New York pro maximmilon or something.  Putting goo on his laces.  Any feedback on this?

superglue works better. just make sure your shoes are broken in first and only super glue the bottom few that usually break. the superglue soaks into the lace and hardens into plastic basically, so you need to be happy with how tight those laces are before you do it.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2022, 02:22:41 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i used to goo the laceholes on the ollie side of the shoes when i was a grom, but this only made sense with shoes that are so puffy that you don't really need to lace them anyway. cause you can only fasten them on one side after that

i did the goo on laces thing as a kid and it sucked. if you don't need your laces at all, ok. but if you don't need them you can just take them out and don't need to goo em. the laces are useless after gooing cause you can't fasten or loosen them really anymore.

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2022, 03:19:26 PM »
Use Krazy Glue or another epoxy type glue for a harder shield but be aware that you'll lose flex in the shoe in that area

Don't use silicone as it never fully hardens. It's flexible by nature

We use 3M 5200 in the marine world and it is bulletproof. I suggest that. It won't go hard like Krazy glue or epoxy, nor sag like silicone, and will last forever.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40066996/

quaintly

• Rep: 11
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2022, 01:11:15 AM »
Sika flex works well .

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 497
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2022, 01:49:54 AM »
Use some sika flex fc11 to glue in a patch of suede

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2022, 03:02:50 PM »
Sika flex works well .

291? We use that in marine world a lot. I really like the 70ml sausages with built in nozzle. Black would work pretty well. 292 would be even stronger I think

quaintly

• Rep: 11
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2022, 11:36:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Sika flex works well .
[close]

291? We use that in marine world a lot. I really like the 70ml sausages with built in nozzle. Black would work pretty well. 292 would be even stronger I think

i've only used the sikaflex 11FC. its really strong , and flexible.

Ricky Vaughn

• Rep: 265
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2022, 10:30:57 AM »
Tell the world to eat my dick
I’m a prick motherfucker
Life Hell Tough shit
I’m the bic motherfucker

The.Skate.Father

• Rep: 42
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2022, 09:12:03 PM »
I’ve done some legit shoe goo jobs with masking tape.  I hate new shoes so if im skating well in a shoe I’ll do a thin goo layer.   Typically scuffs in pretty quickly and allows you to skate well broken in shoes. Seems like when vans get to the sweet spot it is about a session out from total destruction.  Even if the sole is good. That’s when the goo comes out to milk one last sesh out of them

Soo true about vans, I always have them just the way I like then they're done.
I've used grey silicon on my shoes once and it was pretty good but it's temperamental and cans fall off if you don't get it right.
Had some old converse in my closet and didn't wanna wear out my new one stars so I show gooed them, marked it off with tape and the job turned out good.
Just call me Daddy.