Author Topic: Nike Designer Bryce Wong discusses BRSB  (Read 1419 times)

leftwrightcenter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 9
Nike Designer Bryce Wong discusses BRSB
« on: September 07, 2022, 09:05:03 AM »
I recently had the opportunity to talk with Nike designer Bryce Wong about the process of designing the BRSB. The project involved taking the Nike Cortez, which turned 50 years old this year, and make it (more) skateable. Three years in the making, he worked on the shoe while designing the Ishod and the Nyjah 2. It was cool to find out that P-Rod had been asking for a skateable Cortez for years.

https://www.flatspot.com/blogs/blog/in-conversation-with-bryce-wong

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
Re: Nike Designer Bryce Wong discusses BRSB
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2022, 12:54:38 PM »
cool interview, always neat to get a glimpse into design departments at big corps. interesting that it started as a design project more than a product project

shame about the shoe tho...

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2022, 01:25:31 PM »
I’d prefer a more timeless, minimalistic, classic approach, but I guess that wasn’t the assignment

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1000
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2022, 06:40:57 AM »
Great interview, man. Love when people get a perspective from the designers and behind-the-scenes guys who work on a product instead of the pro doing their marketing tour. I do wanna know what the non-branded version of these looked like during tests.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2022, 09:50:34 AM »
My grandfather retired from a shoe factory that made Nike Cortez under contract in the 70s.  For a few years between around 79-81 he would take me to the factory store and let me pick out shoes for school.  I always went for the Cortez in the blue and gold colorway.  He passed away in '84 when I was 11 and going to the shoe store with him is one of the strongest memories I have of him.

Happy to see this shoe come out in that colorway and I'll probably get a pair.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 10:50:38 AM by backinaction »

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 454
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2022, 02:59:14 PM »
My grandfather retired from a shoe factory that made Nike Cortez under contract in the 70s.  For a few years between around 79-81 he would take me to the factory store and let me pick out shoes for school.  I always went for the Cortez in the blue and gold colorway.  He passed away in '84 when I was 11 and going to the shoe store with him is one of the strongest memories I have of him.

Happy to see this shoe come out in that colorway and I'll probably get a pair.

This is a beautiful story man!

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 497
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2022, 04:43:08 PM »
Love the Cortez but man they shitted it up. The small swoosh on the toe? It’s like an 11 year old going ham on the online show designer. Grotty.