Author Topic: The Queen is Dead  (Read 3935 times)

Coastal Fever

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
Re: The Queen is Dead
« Reply #120 on: September 14, 2022, 07:45:30 AM »
Pissed that the only ones who get a stat holiday here in Canada are those fuckin spudheads in PEI.

L dog

• Rep: -20
« Reply #121 on: September 14, 2022, 07:50:46 AM »
I get the appeal of an apolitical, powerless head of state that provides continuity (like a fancy mascot).    It’s just their immense, unjustifiable wealth that I can’t get behind.

it's hard to justify the monarchy at all in the modern world but when religion was more important in society the monarchy was literally thought to be sacred and their bloodline was divine, so basically they could do no wrong to the plebs

Frank and Fred

« Reply #122 on: September 14, 2022, 07:55:15 AM »

By no means a complete list

Never forget the English learned how to colonize with the Welsh first.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1196
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #123 on: September 14, 2022, 08:37:14 AM »
I heard a somewhat thought-provoking quote from C.S. Lewis relating to the function of a monarchy:

“Where men are forbidden to honor a king, they honor millionaires, athletes, or film stars instead; even famous prostitutes or gangsters. For spiritual nature, like bodily nature, will be served; deny it food and it will gobble poison.”
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1432
« Reply #124 on: September 14, 2022, 09:01:23 AM »
I heard a somewhat thought-provoking quote from C.S. Lewis relating to the function of a monarchy:

“Where men are forbidden to honor a king, they honor millionaires, athletes, or film stars instead; even famous prostitutes or gangsters. For spiritual nature, like bodily nature, will be served; deny it food and it will gobble poison.”

CS Lewis was just mad that people liked jack Johnson or whoever was popular more than Jesus in 1930-who gives a fuck. Perhaps he should write an even less thinly veiled novel series about a big cat that can talk and save souls

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #125 on: September 14, 2022, 09:10:57 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

CS Lewis was just mad that people liked jack Johnson or whoever was popular more than Jesus in 1930-who gives a fuck. Perhaps he should write an even less thinly veiled novel series about a big cat that can talk and save souls

Yes, of course nothing he said is of any value because he was Christian.  You’ve peeked through the looking glass.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

excitableboy

• Rep: 92
« Reply #126 on: September 14, 2022, 09:38:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yes, of course nothing he said is of any value because he was Christian.  You’ve peeked through the looking glass.

That quote doesn't seem all that poignant, precisely because of his being Christian. Elizabeth didn't want to be Queen but came to view it as ordained, and people like Lewis revere them accordingly. Many of the UK's imperialist excesses, to put it euphemistically, are then easily chalked up to 'mysterious ways'. But it really isn't so mysterious, is it? The honoring of millionaires, athletes, film stars (all the same to Lewis I guess) is hardly more gratuitous, and often far less poisonous, than that of royals.

Also, C.S. Lewis and Lewis Caroll were two different people.

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #127 on: September 14, 2022, 09:46:46 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #128 on: September 14, 2022, 09:47:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

He's definitely talking about venerating god there though.

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #129 on: September 14, 2022, 10:05:32 AM »
I think he was too.  It’s cool debating with you because it reminds me of how I felt about the world when I was in eighth grade.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #130 on: September 14, 2022, 10:17:56 AM »
I think he was too.  It’s cool debating with you because it reminds me of how I felt about the world when I was in eighth grade.

Sir this is a thread about dunking on an old dead German woman 

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #131 on: September 14, 2022, 10:47:28 AM »
Expand Quote

By no means a complete list
[close]

Never forget the English learned how to colonize with the Welsh first.
Well they also probably picked up some tips watching the Romans colonize them first. The french and Scandinavians had a taste of England too.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
« Reply #132 on: September 14, 2022, 12:42:14 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Leave the Pevensies out of this!

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #133 on: September 14, 2022, 01:02:56 PM »
Pissed that the only ones who get a stat holiday here in Canada are those fuckin spudheads in PEI.
my neighbour is a  "stay at home boarder guard" and he gets the day off with fully paid.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #134 on: September 14, 2022, 09:18:14 PM »
don't forget the atrocities committed on the indigenous populations of Canada and Australia.

And in the 13 colonies. That is, until we kicked them the fuck out so we could do it ourselves.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 271
« Reply #135 on: September 15, 2022, 01:24:35 AM »
If nothing else, this passing of her highness has brought about a plethora of Prince Charles’ sausage finger memes.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
« Reply #136 on: September 15, 2022, 08:29:27 PM »
Expand Quote
don't forget the atrocities committed on the indigenous populations of Canada and Australia.
[close]

And in the 13 colonies. That is, until we kicked them the fuck out so we could do it ourselves.

I’d say the English were sweethearts to them compared to us

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #137 on: September 15, 2022, 09:03:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I’d say the English were sweethearts to them compared to us

It was pretty tight that Cockburn burned the white house down with the help of freed slaves

wongles

• Rep: -7
« Reply #138 on: September 16, 2022, 07:15:53 AM »
Gotta say I am enjoying all the miserable martial music blarting out of my tv.   I'm on a big clean up around the house, and I find it a really good soundtrack.