Author Topic: Powell early 90s appreciation thread  (Read 816 times)

231st Street

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -191
Powell early 90s appreciation thread
« on: February 09, 2024, 03:06:20 AM »

Yes, I know this was perhaps a low point in the Powell popularity, but my dad just gave me a box of my old stuff out of storage, and bizarrely was a response to a letter I looked to have wrote to Powell in 94 or so (the second page had the date and the respondents name, but I can't seem to find it right now).  In the letter, Powell notes they appreciate the support, and answers a list of bizarre questions I seemingly asked.  They also sent me a bunch of stickers and things.

Appreciate Powell answering my letter when I was 8 or 9 or whatever.  And literally going through and answering my skate nerd questions.

Bonus points for those who can guess what my questions were (I dont know for sure, but can guess on some of them ha).
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 03:30:41 AM by BronxRiverKook »

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
Re: Powell early 90s appreciation thread
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2024, 11:07:03 AM »
Gnarred for the thread and for the X

I love early 90s Powell. 

That letter you got is terrific bit of ephemera.  If it's not signed do you know who wrote it?  I wonder if Jim Fitzpatrick or someone like that.

I'll just say that I had a slick bottom Powell dragon board one early 90s summer (it had the famous VCJ top graphic as the full graphic on the bottom) and let me tell you that for a slick that thing popped and stayed snappy for a good while and I had a whole lot of fun on it, and this was when Powell was the wackest thing you could rock, especially around NYC but who cared

231st Street

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2024, 12:39:59 PM »
Good timing-- today I found the second page in a stack of stuff I'm still going through today.  Doesn't have a date, but is signed by "Kom Park, Customer Service".  Any ideas?  unclear if it is a real name-- the signature itself looks like a skateboard (its like a one line signature with 2 loops-- don't see any actual letters).  When I have time later I will attempt to scan.  They added a fax number and 1800 number as well.  So rad.  Doesn't appear to have a date on the second page either.  I must have been really, really young when I did this though because I pretty quickly became an Alien Workshop fanboy, but before I had access to much skate media it was all Powell of course.  Maybe even before I got my first "real" board and was riding an orange Nash still, though I recall distinctly my first real board had mini logo wheels, so maybe that stemmed my first question.  This is a wild guess, but maybe in the 93-97 range this was sent.

Re: Powell wackness-- they may not be considered cool (then or now), but I have noticed anytime I've bought a Powell flight deck (not often, but have got a few to try in last few years- 8.75 to 9 popsicles), all the kids at skatepark clamoring to try and get it when its razor tailed and im done with it.  No need to mention Bones either.  They do very well for a company everyone claims not to like ha. 

Granted, I'm still more of an Alien/Habitat fanboy, but you can't deny Powell's incredible longevity and ability to reinvent itself-- and I think a lot of people assume Powell in the early 90s era was dead, when it was pretty similar to it is now ha (minus the weird Andy Anderson deck phenonom).  In that early 90s era especially, I really think their products were better than most others.  You probably got shit for it in NYC (I was in south jersey/philly back then), but mini logo decks from the early 90s definitely lasted longer than World decks.  Their slicks in particular I remember being crazy, but I dont think I had one.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2024, 12:47:13 PM by BronxRiverKook »

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2024, 08:55:33 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIuzm4u_Jp4

Have to admit this Mike V joint in 94, Husker Du "Diane" got me going....

dunc

• Rep: 51
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2024, 12:43:24 AM »
Ok so that Mike V part is his best and that video is burned into my DNA. He seemed so cool then ...not sure what happened. Powell was always cool to me during those days as their videos seemed to pop up around this time in new zealand. I remember they had no pro models . I had a couple of plane series slicks during this time . They had plane nose pin up girls on them . I loved them .
The second wave of wainwright in scenic drive also got me pumped and I had many of the black bottom slick paint boards.

I had the early Play video as well. Wade spayer was rad in that and bucky laser had a st part.

Cool topic. Fond memories.
They laughed when I told my friends that I was going to be a comedian.....well they are not laughing now!

231st Street

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2024, 01:57:59 PM »
Yes-- Mike V Suburban Diner likely sparked me asking if he was married or something similar.  In my defense as a nine year old, I guess not a terrible question.  Exact era I was thinking of!  Thanks for the comments, y'all!

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2024, 10:54:09 PM »

It is weird to think how important Mike V is to skateboarding and how good he was considering he is such a kook. I know this is propaganda from The Man Who Souled the World documentary, but Mike V bailing on Powell played such a big role in World becoming a thing and all the craziness that stemmed from Rocco's version of skateboarding.

Not to mention his role in the intro of the Tony Hawk games of him attacking the gate/ramps, which I stupidly thought was cool at the time and his clip in the CKY video beating up the "jocks" that floated around Kazaa and LimeWire. 

This part was good, but all the best Mike V parts are either 80% pushing or 100% him reciting "deep thoughts."  ;)

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

231st Street

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2024, 03:35:28 PM »
Everyone loved Mike V back then and the Kazaa videos of the jock fight ha.  Name change in honor of this thread!

assvogel

• Rep: 195
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2024, 04:37:36 AM »
Inspired by this topic, I archieved some Powell (-Peralta) mailorder/product catalogs from 92 and 93 in my not-very active blog.

Some of the graphics here are pretty rare / not as well documented as the earlier PP stuff, so it's nice to at least have the product catalogs in hand (despite them being in b/w).

Check it out:

https://skateoutlaw.medium.com/powell-peralta-catalogs-92-93-1fb31f7ce79f

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2024, 09:37:22 AM »
Nice works @assvogel

Love looking back over old board dimensions. Got any other scans of boards and wheels from that era?

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2024, 10:16:17 AM »
Slightly offbase since that would be the late 90's/very early 00's but something I would love to see again is scans of the old Skate One catalogs, there are some online but the issues are incomplete and just feature the product pages whereas they really used to be filled with some crazy or cool stuff, from Angel Boy comics about boardsliding the handrail to hell or Pat Channita trick tips on frontside 360's.

Re: actual early 90's Powell I just barely missed that era by half a decade but always really liked the post Peralta video output, it's so interesting, Chaos, Eight are must-see's at least once but especially Celebraty Tropical Fish is my favorite. Pat Brennen's part is crazy for the time period, Chrome Ball has a cool post about it https://chromeballincident.blogspot.com/2009/01/chrome-ball-incident-195-moonlight.html

I know the videos caught flack at the time and I totally understand why (funnily enough a bit similarly to how the first Stereo videos also caught flack at first, presentation was raw for the era) but occasionally think it's funny a lot of the current filming trends people typically attribute to Strobeck's clips for Supreme (regardless of whether they like or dislike them) really trace back to late 80's/early 90's Powell vids; more long lens, more zoom, more experimentation with the format (also sensed in the Stereo videos to a degree, but then really people like Dan Wolfe made the vibe their own by doing it with style).

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2024, 01:09:27 PM »
First time I saw Eric Ricks footage I thought "only a matter of minutes before he's on Plan B or something World" dude was so good

231st Street

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2024, 01:24:07 PM »
Slightly offbase since that would be the late 90's/very early 00's but something I would love to see again is scans of the old Skate One catalogs, there are some online but the issues are incomplete and just feature the product pages whereas they really used to be filled with some crazy or cool stuff, from Angel Boy comics about boardsliding the handrail to hell or Pat Channita trick tips on frontside 360's.

Re: actual early 90's Powell I just barely missed that era by half a decade but always really liked the post Peralta video output, it's so interesting, Chaos, Eight are must-see's at least once but especially Celebraty Tropical Fish is my favorite. Pat Brennen's part is crazy for the time period, Chrome Ball has a cool post about it https://chromeballincident.blogspot.com/2009/01/chrome-ball-incident-195-moonlight.html

I know the videos caught flack at the time and I totally understand why (funnily enough a bit similarly to how the first Stereo videos also caught flack at first, presentation was raw for the era) but occasionally think it's funny a lot of the current filming trends people typically attribute to Strobeck's clips for Supreme (regardless of whether they like or dislike them) really trace back to late 80's/early 90's Powell vids; more long lens, more zoom, more experimentation with the format (also sensed in the Stereo videos to a degree, but then really people like Dan Wolfe made the vibe their own by doing it with style).

Yes-- filming style, manuals and even curb stuff from that part is basically current cool guy skating. 

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1151
  • old and in the way
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2024, 02:22:23 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It is weird to think how important Mike V is to skateboarding and how good he was considering he is such a kook. I know this is propaganda from The Man Who Souled the World documentary, but Mike V bailing on Powell played such a big role in World becoming a thing and all the craziness that stemmed from Rocco's version of skateboarding.

Not to mention his role in the intro of the Tony Hawk games of him attacking the gate/ramps, which I stupidly thought was cool at the time and his clip in the CKY video beating up the "jocks" that floated around Kazaa and LimeWire. 

This part was good, but all the best Mike V parts are either 80% pushing or 100% him reciting "deep thoughts."  ;)

It is unfortunate that Mike V’s place in skate history is more about his kooky/violent behavior than his board skills. That being said these three parts are still pretty killer:
Speed Freaks
http://youtu.be/SwNSpHdyYeQ?si=PBzSfCfuLR1Dz1cP
Rubbish Heap
http://youtu.be/m6ye3LN_gpk?si=2NFIuDomsBYwbvr3
Powell 1997 Promo
http://youtu.be/bHKb1GHM7BI?si=4fMYXentW2yOAZGU

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2563
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2024, 12:29:01 PM »
Pat Brennen's part is crazy for the time period

It's so good. Probably one of my favourite parts. I love how there are hardly any passers by in the video. That plus the music choice (what a contrast to his next part, where he used the Super Mario song) make it seem almost otherworldly.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

corey websturd

• Rep: 6
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2024, 12:30:43 AM »
I only had early 90's powell decks.A "fence" Guerrero and a Lasek.They were excellent.I think I switched to an Schmitt Stix Andy Howell after that and World and Blind after that like many dudes at the time...The Guerrero was actuall the last "oldschool" deck I had even though it had the "spoon nose" innovation.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 493
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2024, 03:32:41 PM »

Yes, I know this was perhaps a low point in the Powell popularity, but my dad just gave me a box of my old stuff out of storage, and bizarrely was a response to a letter I looked to have wrote to Powell in 94 or so (the second page had the date and the respondents name, but I can't seem to find it right now).  In the letter, Powell notes they appreciate the support, and answers a list of bizarre questions I seemingly asked.  They also sent me a bunch of stickers and things.

Appreciate Powell answering my letter when I was 8 or 9 or whatever.  And literally going through and answering my skate nerd questions.

Bonus points for those who can guess what my questions were (I dont know for sure, but can guess on some of them ha).
Question 5, haha!